Is Your Starbucks Closing?

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
TheConfessor

Is Your Starbucks Closing?

#1 Post by TheConfessor » Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:00 pm

Mine is. Not that I ever went there or anything. It's a short walk from my house. I guess it couldn't compete with the popular local coffee shop across the street.

Here's a list of all the 600 locations to be closed.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/07/1 ... 13646.html

elwoodblues

#2 Post by elwoodblues » Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:18 pm

There are two Starbucks down the street from me, one at the NW corner of a major intersection and one at the SE corner, and they are both staying open.

hermillion
Bored Millionaire

#3 Post by hermillion » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:07 pm

Researching for Tuesday, Ed??

What have you found out about produce?
"If you think in terms of a year, plant a seed; if in terms of ten years, plant a tree; if in terms of a hundred years, teach the people." - Confucious

"Who dares to teach must never cease to learn." -- John Cotton Dana

TheConfessor

#4 Post by TheConfessor » Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:20 am

hermillion wrote:Researching for Tuesday, Ed??

Either I'm dense or you're too cryptic tonight. Is this a glowing tomato reference?

peacock2121

#5 Post by peacock2121 » Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:40 am

The only one closing near me is one I didn't even know existed.

My sister visits a Starbuck every day.

Can't understand it.

mrkelley23

#6 Post by mrkelley23 » Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:23 am

Can't understand it, either.

I like Starbucks coffee okay, but I think it's just the difference in bean. And I can't stand all the fancyshmancy drinks. Unlike Coldstone Creamery, it's not a destination for me. And every time I've had to go there for coffee, because of a lack of other available choices, I've just gotten aggravated at the prices, the slowness of service, and the cheesy entitled air around the customers there.

Good thing I'm not the bitter type.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

Here's Fanny!
Peekaboo!

#7 Post by Here's Fanny! » Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:34 am

mrkelley23 wrote:Can't understand it, either.

I like Starbucks coffee okay, but I think it's just the difference in bean. And I can't stand all the fancyshmancy drinks. Unlike Coldstone Creamery, it's not a destination for me. And every time I've had to go there for coffee, because of a lack of other available choices, I've just gotten aggravated at the prices, the slowness of service, and the cheesy entitled air around the customers there.

Good thing I'm not the bitter type.
I drink more coffee than just about anybody I know and have never set foot inside of a Starbucks (or anyplace similar). Maybe deep down I'm afraid that I'd like it and then have to start paying those prices. And I'm not sure the cheesy, entitleds would understand the order 'gimme a bullet and a cup to float it in'.

Besides, I already have a cappucino and espresso machine, so I can be snooty all by myself at home for free. Ha!
Spoiler
I'm darned good and ready.

silverscreenselect

#8 Post by silverscreenselect » Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:25 am

mrkelley23 wrote:Can't understand it, either.

I like Starbucks coffee okay, but I think it's just the difference in bean.
It's a good thing my taste buds aren't so refined that I can't tell that much of a difference between Starbucks and cheaper stuff. It makes it easier for me to avoid paying $5 for a cup of coffee.

It also helps me avoid buying $40 bottles of liquor and going to $100 steakhouses.

frogman042
Bored Pun-dit

#9 Post by frogman042 » Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:32 am

TheConfessor wrote:
hermillion wrote:Researching for Tuesday, Ed??

Either I'm dense or you're too cryptic tonight. Is this a glowing tomato reference?
Lettuce commence then - for these are our salad days - but only on the good china. If you don't have a Starbuck's closing, I know a sure bet where you can find one!

If that response wasn't cryptic enough - ask Ma Egan, she might be able to help.

---Jay (The sixth sick sheik's sixth sheep's sick.)

frogman042
Bored Pun-dit

Re: Is Your Starbucks Closing?

#10 Post by frogman042 » Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:35 am

TheConfessor wrote:Mine is. Not that I ever went there or anything. It's a short walk from my house. I guess it couldn't compete with the popular local coffee shop across the street.

Here's a list of all the 600 locations to be closed.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/07/1 ... 13646.html
The link includes:
11302 HWY 59 & HWY 36 27943 SW FWY ROSENBERG TX
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

---Jay (just a single boxcar to go)

BigDrawMan

#11 Post by BigDrawMan » Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:11 am

it is interesting that both Starbucks and the bottled water industry are having troubles at the same time.
tptb did a great job of training people to pay manymanymany more times the usual cost of coffee and water.

mebbe I will go to a starbucks and buy a bottle of water.cross em both of the to-do list.
I dont torture mallards all the time, but when I do, I prefer waterboarding.

-Carl the Duck

Flybrick

#12 Post by Flybrick » Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:28 am

silverscreenselect wrote:
mrkelley23 wrote: It also helps me avoid buying $40 bottles of liquor and going to $100 steakhouses.
Two of the finer things in life and so worth it................

Unlike Starbucks.

MarleysGh0st

#13 Post by MarleysGh0st » Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:30 am

Some Starbucks stores are closing!? :shock:

We really must be in a recession. :(

Marley <---- Who favors our local bakery/coffee place over the local Starbucks, but who does stop in at the one on the corner of 67th St. whenever I'm in NYC. :wink:

ne1410s

#14 Post by ne1410s » Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:39 am

Galesburg's Starbucks opened last August. It is closing. Employees told reporter Don't ask anymore questions or we will get into trouble. Like losing your job, barista???????
"When you argue with a fool, there are two fools in the argument."

gsabc

#15 Post by gsabc » Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:57 am

ne1410s wrote:Galesburg's Starbucks opened last August. It is closing. Employees told reporter Don't ask anymore questions or we will get into trouble. Like losing your job, barista???????
Like being able to get a new job at another Starbucks, more likely.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

ne1410s

#16 Post by ne1410s » Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:59 am

Like being able to get a new job at another Starbucks, more likely.
There isn't another Starbucks within 40 miles of here. But, we do now have flush toilets and all... :lol:
"When you argue with a fool, there are two fools in the argument."

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#17 Post by silvercamaro » Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:09 pm

I think of Starbucks the way I think of McDonald's.

A cappucino is a thing of beauty every now and then. A quarter-pounder with cheese calls my name about every four to six months.

I would hate to see the end of either, but on a day to day basis, I would feel no loss. When the jones hits, however, I don't care how far away I'd have to go to find one.
Now generating the White Hot Glare of Righteousness on behalf of BBs everywhere.

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#18 Post by ulysses5019 » Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:19 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote:Some Starbucks stores are closing!? :shock:

Marley <---- Who favors our local bakery/coffee place over the local Starbucks, but who does stop in at the one on the corner of 67th St. whenever I'm in NYC. :wink:
Are you planning a revisit anytime soon?
I believe in the usefulness of useless information.

MarleysGh0st

#19 Post by MarleysGh0st » Sat Jul 19, 2008 3:32 pm

ulysses5019 wrote:
MarleysGh0st wrote:Some Starbucks stores are closing!? :shock:

Are you planning a revisit anytime soon?
Not at the present time. :|

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#20 Post by kayrharris » Sat Jul 19, 2008 3:44 pm

McDonald's has damn good coffee these days. We never had a Starbucks until a couple of years ago and now there are two within 1/4 mile of the other!

I will go as a "treat" to myself if I want something other than just coffee, but I don't go very often. I make my coffee at home in a French Press so it's probably a lot like was Fan drinks!

My step daughter in North Carolina thinks my "regular coffee is too strong. On her last visit here, I fixed a pot of coffee for her and her husband, but I still made mine in my French press.

When she saw what I was doing, she said "so, the coffee in the coffee maker isn't strong enough for you?" I only have 2 cups in the morning, but I want to make those 2 cups count. :)
"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest. "
Benjamin Franklin

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#21 Post by SportsFan68 » Sat Jul 19, 2008 3:47 pm

I'm familiar with only one of those listed for Denver but have never actually bought anything there. I believe that there's another one not closing within two blocks of it.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

Tocqueville3

#22 Post by Tocqueville3 » Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:50 pm

Almost all of the Starbucks in Jackson are closing. I don't really care cuz I don't really like their coffee. Our little local places are thriving and I prefer their coffee. The little local places cost half as much and taste better. There is a little coffee place with a drive thru almost across the street from the girls school. Sweet.

I like my french press. I can make really strong coffee and I can make a really small amount of it. David doesn't drink coffee. I showed my MIL my french press and she kept fussing that there would be little grounds in her cup. I told her that the press thingy moves all the grounds to the bottom of the carafe. Doi. When I fixed her a cup she said it was some of the best coffee she has ever had. She likes strong coffee, too. Now whenever she comes to visit she askes me to make the coffee in the french press. Do you think when we move I have to tell her where our new house is?

Here's Fanny!
Peekaboo!

#23 Post by Here's Fanny! » Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:06 pm

kayrharris wrote:McDonald's has damn good coffee these days. We never had a Starbucks until a couple of years ago and now there are two within 1/4 mile of the other!

I will go as a "treat" to myself if I want something other than just coffee, but I don't go very often. I make my coffee at home in a French Press so it's probably a lot like was Fan drinks!

My step daughter in North Carolina thinks my "regular coffee is too strong. On her last visit here, I fixed a pot of coffee for her and her husband, but I still made mine in my French press.

When she saw what I was doing, she said "so, the coffee in the coffee maker isn't strong enough for you?" I only have 2 cups in the morning, but I want to make those 2 cups count. :)
My problem with making a whole pot is that I'll drink the whole pot. So I got a Melitta pod type a few years ago and now I drink wussy hazelnut coffee. I've never liked flavoured coffees and I still don't like any except hazelnut. I get the Torrani's Hazelnut sugar free syrup at World Market and use that when I use the regular coffee maker. I have tried a lot of different Torrani flavours for different things, like lime for slushes and whatnot and what's nice is a bar spout fits their bottle (don't get the regular syrup, it's sickeningly sweet).

Anyway, I've often thought about trying a French Press, but never did because it seems too time consuming with boiling the water and all and I didn't think the manual method could make it that strong. If it can stand up to the old Walgreen's coffee (if you ever use to go to a Walgreen's grill BITD, you know what I mean), I might give it a whirl!
Spoiler

Here's Fanny!
Peekaboo!

#24 Post by Here's Fanny! » Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:09 pm

I never did understand why they thought it was a good idea to open up shops right across the street from one another. I guess they're figuring that out right about now. If people want the coffee bad enough to pay those prices, they'll want it bad enough to walk across the street if they are parked on the other side.

I looked at the list and none are closing here in town. That means that I can continue to not go to the one down the street. Yay!
Spoiler

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#25 Post by kayrharris » Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:12 pm

How long can it take to boil 2 cups of water? I have the small French press and I will put the water on as soon as I get up. Five minutes later it's boiling, I pour it over the coffee and in 2 minutes, it's good to go.

I am the only coffee drinker in the house, so it works great for me. Two cups is my limit. I only use my coffee maker when I have overnight guests or dinner guests. Even then, I can't resist that extra scoup of coffee because I do like it "full bodied".

So does the sugar free syrup have an artificial sweetener in it? I hate them....any of them. I have seen them at World Market, but I'm not so much on flavored coffee, especially in the morning. I use one squirt of Redi Whip in my coffee. Only 5 calories and adds a tiny bit of sweetness, but not much.
"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest. "
Benjamin Franklin