Back from my "Sister" trip

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
jayhawker536

Back from my "Sister" trip

#1 Post by jayhawker536 » Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:24 pm

Last Fall I mentioned we were planning a trip to Booneville, we finally got it together and we four survivoring Calico girls headed east.

I left early Sunday morning and drove 30 miles to Sister Sue's, we proceeded another 75 miles to pick up Sister Jan, off to Columbia, Il to pick up little Sister Laurie. Stayed at Laurie's that evening, they have a beautiful home on Chesapeake, sits up on a bluff, really enjoyed the area.

Day two we went to LeRoy, Il, what a thrill to find the tombstone of our 4g grandfather John W. Britton, we knew our 2g grandparents Nathan & Sarah Britton were there but were quite surprised to find John W's grave (he is our patriot in that branch of the family.) Found the documentation linking us to Pocohontas, her son John married our ancestor Sally Briscoe, it was all right there at the LeRoy library. Stayed the night in Bloomington, thought of our Tennis guy when passing Peoria.

Day three took us to Hannibal, just because. Went to Palmyra (sp). Found a lot on Laurie's husband Bob's family. His great grandfather was a doctor for the South in the Civil war, very interesting story. He comes from a family who's tradition it is for the oldest son to be a doctor, Bob's brother Joe upset the applecart went he chose to be a lawyer. We were able to trace the Jaudon's all the way back to the two Hugenot brothers when they came from France.

Day four took us to Booneville to visit the statue of our 4g grandmother Hannah Cole, first white woman west of the Missouri River, what a tribute they have erected for her, took many photos of we four sisters around her statue. Learned that Hannah and Daniel Boone were first cousins and he stayed with her when in the area. Gambled at the Isle of Capri and lost the hunderd dollars I allotted myself for gambling. We went to Hannah's Roadside Park which also includes a very old cemetery and found many ancestors graves.

We decided we were ready to wrap it up so we headed back to Columbia. The next morning, Friday, three of us headed back to Kansas. Dropped Jan in Elk City, Sue in Douglas and then I got to head home to Wichita.

Had a wonderful time, 90% of the trip was smooth sailing. My one word of advice. DO NOT decide to go on a road trip with four Type A personality bitches, it will shoot the hell out of your nerves.

Laurie and Jan snore worse than I do, one honks like a Canadian Goose and one never shuts up. Sister Sue moans in her sleep and starts running her mouth the minute her eyes open whereas I do not like noise of any kind until I have had at least two cups of coffee. Laurie and Jan sleep with the tv on, Sue has to leave the bathroom light on so she can find her way there in the middle of the night, I need complete darkness and quite when I sleep so that tells you I didn't get much sleep. My suggestion of getting more than one room or suite was not paid attention to since some wanted to save money.

We ate lunch at Woody's, paid $12 to go through a truck stop buffet that was not edible, no other place to eat in LeRoy. However, a new restaurant Joe's is opening. Big sign that says Joe is coming soon, has to be better than eating Woody, now make of that what you will.

There were some funny times, Sue thought the bathtub was plugged at the Holiday Inn in Booneville, inch and a half of water in the tub, Laurie went in and called out "It helps if you pull the plug." I laughed (actually I roared) Sue failed to see the humor. She did think it was funny when she thought the moccassins she bought at the Minitonka store in Hannibal had two right feet, turned out she was walking around with some of the paper stuffing still in the shoe, we did die laughing at her over that but at least she joined us.

My suggestion is - road trips are not good - pick a place to meet and go to seperate rooms in the evening.

peacock2121

#2 Post by peacock2121 » Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:27 pm

Made me laugh.

It turned out better than a trip with me and my two sisters would have.

Great that you got to spend time together.

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#3 Post by ulysses5019 » Sat Jul 19, 2008 2:31 pm

Did you find out if you're related to Bob Juch?
I believe in the usefulness of useless information.

jayhawker536

#4 Post by jayhawker536 » Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:10 pm

ulysses5019 wrote:Did you find out if you're related to Bob Juch?
That made me laugh!!

ne1410s

#5 Post by ne1410s » Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:14 pm

Stayed the night in Bloomington, thought of our Tennis guy when passing Peoria.
Whilst on the golf course, I caught a pleasant breeze composed of equal parts charm and pioneer spirit. I shoulda known... :lol:
"When you argue with a fool, there are two fools in the argument."

Bob Juch

#6 Post by Bob Juch » Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:52 am

ulysses5019 wrote:Did you find out if you're related to Bob Juch?
Pocahontas is in my family tree, but I'm not descended from her. I have hundreds of cousins who are though.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.