Hitchcok / Leo G. Carroll trivia question (and a bonus!)

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
frogman042
Bored Pun-dit

Hitchcok / Leo G. Carroll trivia question (and a bonus!)

#1 Post by frogman042 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:37 am

As you may (or may not) have noticed, nearly every time I've posted a message to the bored since finding out I will be in the Hot Seat - I've tried to add after my name something to indicate the number of days left before my taping, either a pun, a bit of trivia or a lame attempt at humor.

On of my sign-offs was:

---Jay (If you know how many Hitchcock films Leo G. Carroll has been in you'll know the number of days to the HS)

Uly got North by Nothwest as one of the films but there are 5 others

Here are the clues I came up with for the names of the other Hitchcock films which featured our beloved Leo (some know him from Topper, others (like me) remember him first from The Man From U.N.C.L.E) but it is stated that he has more appearances in Hitchcock films then anyone else (excluding Sir Alfred).

So here are the hints (and bonus pts for relating the hint to the movie):
- Did it start with a dream?
- How could this hero be a heavy?
- Hello, Dali!
- Is that a finch in the courtroom?
- At your service, would you like a double?

Also the first two on the this list has the same person in a major role, likewise for films 3 and 4, also features the same person in both films, but not the same as in 1 and 2.

And here is my bonus Hitchcock Trivia Question - by the way LGC does not appear in this particular film.

A critical character (one might even say the central character) has only a few moments of actual screen time and no lines of dialog. Yet in the trailer for the film, the very same character appears for nearly the entire length of the trailer, giving him much more screen time then the actual movie, on top of that he has quite a bit of dialog in the trailer even though he never speaks in the actual movie.

What Hitchcock film is this and as an added bonus how is this film unique in nearly all of film history?

---Jay (Take 5)

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

Re: Hitchcok / Leo G. Carroll trivia question (and a bonus!)

#2 Post by ulysses5019 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:39 am

frogman042 wrote:As you may (or may not) have noticed, nearly every time I've posted a message to the bored since finding out I will be in the Hot Seat - I've tried to add after my name something to indicate the number of days left before my taping, either a pun, a bit of trivia or a lame attempt at humor.

On of my sign-offs was:

---Jay (If you know how many Hitchcock films Leo G. Carroll has been in you'll know the number of days to the HS)

Uly got North by Nothwest as one of the films but there are 5 others

Here are the clues I came up with for the names of the other Hitchcock films which featured our beloved Leo (some know him from Topper, others (like me) remember him first from The Man From U.N.C.L.E) but it is stated that he has more appearances in Hitchcock films then anyone else (excluding Sir Alfred).

- Hello, Dali!

Also the first two on the this list has the same person in a major role, likewise for films 3 and 4, also features the same person in both films, but not the same as in 1 and 2.

And here is my bonus Hitchcock Trivia Question - by the way LGC does not appear in this particular film.

A critical character (one might even say the central character) has only a few moments of actual screen time and no lines of dialog. Yet in the trailer for the film, the very same character appears for nearly the entire length of the trailer, giving him much more screen time then the actual movie, on top of that he has quite a bit of dialog in the trailer even though he never speaks in the actual movie.

What Hitchcock film is this and as an added bonus how is this film unique in nearly all of film history?

---Jay (Take 5)
I'm phoning kt as my PAF.
I believe in the usefulness of useless information.

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#3 Post by SportsFan68 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:22 pm

Maybe I'll SOS him.

Or maybe Jay will just tell us...
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#4 Post by kayrharris » Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:37 pm

SSS prolly knows the answers.
"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest. "
Benjamin Franklin

KillerTomato

#5 Post by KillerTomato » Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:32 pm

"Last night I dreamed I went to Manderley again..." "Rebecca".

Given the hint about the same person in both 1 and 2, this must be "Suspicion", which also starred Joan Fontaine. The hero must be Cary Grant.

- Hello, Dali!

One of my favorites. "Spellbound" with Gregory Peck and Ingrid Bergman, with that great dream sequence designed by Salvador Dali.

"Finch" should be capalized....Gregory Peck again, this time in "The Paradine Case". Not one of Hitch's best, IMO.

Now this one IS one of his best. "Strangers on a Train".

I'm thinking this is probably "The Trouble With Harry", but I've never seen the trailer so I can't be sure.

OK, now I've got it. It's "Rope", not "Harry". And it's unique because it was made up of ten takes, and very few editorial cuts. Each take lasted between 4 and 10 minutes (the latter being the amount of film a camera could hold back in the late 40s).
There is something wrong in a government where they who do the most have the least. There is something wrong when honesty wears a rag, and rascality a robe; when the loving, the tender, eat a crust while the infamous sit at banquets.
-- Robert G. Ingersoll

frogman042
Bored Pun-dit

#6 Post by frogman042 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:19 pm

KillerTomato wrote:So here are the hints (and bonus pts for relating the hint to the movie):

"Last night I dreamed I went to Manderley again..." "Rebecca".

Given the hint about the same person in both 1 and 2, this must be "Suspicion", which also starred Joan Fontaine. The hero must be Cary Grant.

- Hello, Dali!

One of my favorites. "Spellbound" with Gregory Peck and Ingrid Bergman, with that great dream sequence designed by Salvador Dali.

"Finch" should be capalized....Gregory Peck again, this time in "The Paradine Case". Not one of Hitch's best, IMO.

Now this one IS one of his best. "Strangers on a Train".

I'm thinking this is probably "The Trouble With Harry", but I've never seen the trailer so I can't be sure.

OK, now I've got it. It's "Rope", not "Harry". And it's unique because it was made up of ten takes, and very few editorial cuts. Each take lasted between 4 and 10 minutes (the latter being the amount of film a camera could hold back in the late 40s).
Great job - 100%

I was wondering if the clues were too easy for a Hitchcock fan and too hard for a non-fan.

As far as Suspicion goes - the clue refers to ending - (spoiler alert) - from what I understand Hitchcock wanted Cary Grant to actually be a murderer and that Joan Fontaine would have to kill Grant at the end to save herself (ala Shadow of a Doubt) but TPTB overrulled saying that the public would never accept Grant as a bad guy. Too bad, IMO, since I think that would have made for a much better movie.

I agree that about The Paradine Case (which, to me, has a similar feel to I Confess) is certainly not amoung his best - but average Hitchcock is head and shoulders over most other directors best works. The only 2 from that period of his that I have not seen are 'Under Capricorn' and 'Stage Fright' - but his run from 'Rebecca' to 'The Birds' in terms of the number of truly great films back to back is amazing.

As far as capitalizing 'finch' goes, I thought about that, but thought by making it a proper noun might make it too easy.

Finally, you nailed it on Rope - I had seen it a number of times and then on TCM happened to catch the trailer for it and was amazed that the character who was strangled, David, at the start had such a huge part in the trailer. The trailer is basically him speaking with Janet on a park bench about pretty banal things and about going to the party that evening. Then Sir Alfred comes on to tell us that there is evil afoot that these two seemingly innocent characters are totaly unaware of. On seeing the trailer I knew I had a great trivia question. I doubt any other movie has the major character in the trailer virtually non-existent in the feature film - but still playing a critical role.

I think there is only one or two true cuts (from the audience's perspective) otherwise it plays out as a single take. This is one of my favoriate 'unknown' Hitchcock films.

---Jay (Ringing in the Olympic Flag)