Transcript 11/01/07 - Lyn Payne

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
peacock2121

#26 Post by peacock2121 » Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:34 am

The transciber left the 'e' off of note, so it should read "currency note in circulation".

I think.

Appa23

#27 Post by Appa23 » Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:36 am

The exact figure is 6.2 cents.

andrewjackson

#28 Post by andrewjackson » Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:46 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
andrewjackson wrote:
$500,000
To the nearest cent, the Bureau of Engraving and Printing spends an average of how much to make each currency not in circulation?

A: 2 cents B: 4 cents
C: 6 cents D: 8 cents
I don't understand this question.

Why do they spend money to make currency not in circulation? Or is it different than the money they spend to make currency that is in circulation?

I'm not happy about "each currency" either. Currency is all the money being used in the U.S., not individual denominations. "Each currency" would have to refer to money from different countries wouldn't it?
Oops. That should have read "currency note". And it does now.
Ah. Well. That's completely different.

Never mind.
No matter where you go, there you are.

peacock2121

#29 Post by peacock2121 » Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:49 am

I didn't see that you posted before I did, marley.

Regisfan

#30 Post by Regisfan » Fri Nov 02, 2007 4:30 pm

Lynn was an absolutely fantastic contestant. As disappointed as I was that she didn't go for the million, I was immediately relieved when her guess turned out to be wrong.

I must say, I would not have done half as well as Lynn with that particular stack of questions.

Shade

#31 Post by Shade » Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:12 am

From now on the new phrase for when a question seems to be made for you or you are able to figure it out, it shall be called a "Lyn Payne Question" :P

MarleysGh0st

#32 Post by MarleysGh0st » Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:15 am

Shade wrote:From now on the new phrase for when a question seems to be made for you or you are able to figure it out, it shall be called a "Lyn Payne Question" :P
We generally say questions we like are "in our wheelhouse". And everybody has a different wheelhouse.

Shade

#33 Post by Shade » Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:17 am

NO! "Lyn Payne Question"!!! j/k... I liked how Lyn called the questions she knew or was able to figure out "Lyn Payne Questions" that's why I said that before :D

MarleysGh0st

#34 Post by MarleysGh0st » Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:19 am

Shade wrote:NO! "Lyn Payne Question"!!! j/k... I liked how Lyn called the questions she knew or was able to figure out "Lyn Payne Questions" that's why I said that before :D
Well, maybe it'll catch on, and you've got the same right to try to establish a new Bored phrase as any of us. I'm just letting you know that we already have a phrase for that. :)

Shade

#35 Post by Shade » Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:21 am

Hmm...I'm not sure how much catch-on-ability it has. But maybe.

I had so much fun watching this episode, I haven't seen a syndicated contestant get that far since Ogi Ogas. :)

MarleysGh0st

#36 Post by MarleysGh0st » Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:28 am

Shade wrote:I had so much fun watching this episode, I haven't seen a syndicated contestant get that far since Ogi Ogas. :)
Maybe that's because no contestant has gotten that far since Ogi Ogas. :)

Shade

#37 Post by Shade » Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:37 am

Does that mean Lyn will be in the next grand slam :shock:

It would be nice but I like Ogi better than Lyn, Ogi almost beat the all-knowing, all-seeing, all-powerful Ken Jennings. Could Lyn do that?

MarleysGh0st

#38 Post by MarleysGh0st » Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:43 am

Shade wrote:Does that mean Lyn will be in the next grand slam :shock:

It would be nice but I like Ogi better than Lyn, Ogi almost beat the all-knowing, all-seeing, all-powerful Ken Jennings. Could Lyn do that?
If there is another Grand Slam, I think she has a great shot at getting an invitation.

My opinion follows from my long-time political stance in the great Phone Game/Audition Debate. If Grand Slam wants to present itself as the ultimate championship for all game shows, TGSPTB should commit to an official set of rules on the qualification for a slot in that championship. For instance, "This season's top money winners from each of the following shows will earn a slot in Grand Slam."

I don't like leaving casting decisions to their arbitrary discretion.

Shade

#39 Post by Shade » Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:50 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
Shade wrote:Does that mean Lyn will be in the next grand slam :shock:

If there is another Grand Slam, I think she has a great shot at getting an invitation.

My opinion follows from my long-time political stance in the great Phone Game/Audition Debate. If Grand Slam wants to present itself as the ultimate championship for all game shows, TGSPTB should commit to an official set of rules on the qualification for a slot in that championship. For instance, "This season's top money winners from each of the following shows will earn a slot in Grand Slam."

I don't like leaving casting decisions to their arbitrary discretion.
I agree, and Lyn is the highest money winner from this season. But Ogi certainly deserves an invite back considering he made it all the way to the finals, beating the seemlingly undefeatable Brad Rutter.

MarleysGh0st

#40 Post by MarleysGh0st » Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:57 am

Shade wrote: I agree, and Lyn is the highest money winner from this season. But Ogi certainly deserves an invite back considering he made it all the way to the finals, beating the seemlingly undefeatable Brad Rutter.
I may lose my status as Ogi's loyal henchman for saying this, but I don't like the concept of inviting people back. Then you end up with a set of the same game show celebrities we'd see year after year. If this is a tournament to find the greatest players of all time, there are other champions who haven't had a shot yet. If it's an annual championship, then you don't earn a trip to the Superbowl just because you were there last year; you have to compete for it all over again this season.

And I've lazed around the house long enough this morning. Time to go out and do something...

Shade

#41 Post by Shade » Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:05 am

Well, the only two I think should be invited back should be Ogi and Ken, considering Ken came in first and Ogi came in second. I also think they should have 32 original competors not just 16. That will allow them to reinvite the last year's runner up and champion and also a wide variety of new contestants.

Game shows right now are a little bit at a deficit, to do this though. We used to have "The Weakest Link" (which I hate) "Greed" (which I hate also) and "21" (which was a good show). Now all of those are canceled, and I'm not sure if the first Millionaire from "Are You Smarter than A Fifth Grader", "The Power of 10" or "Deal Or No Deal" would quite fit the critera for a good Grand Slam contestant.

If they do decide to go with 32 new contestants, I'm not sure where they would get them from but it would allow for more episodes and a greater diversity. Maybe if they have 32, some people from this fourm would get invited and that would be awesome.

Well enjoy the great outdoors while I'm stuck at work, reading Freud and stuck on the internet :)

Shade

#42 Post by Shade » Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:43 pm

I added Lyn to my list of notable non-million dollar winning contestants on TV Rage guide. I mostly include 500,000 dollar winners and the ones that appear on millionairetv.com in the interactive video game, if you want me to add someone else let me know:

http://www.tvrage.com/Who_Wants_to_Be_a ... w_tidbits/

PS: Did the real Lyn just join this site?

memberlist.php?mode=joined&order=ASC&start=200

(at the bottom)

MarleysGh0st

#43 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:31 am

This article is primariy about SyndieBAM celebrating its 1000th episode, but Lyn's appearance is also discussed, so I'll post the link here.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/entertai ... 9993.story
"It was beaten into the ground by the network," host Meredith Vieira says. "A lot of people said, 'Why would you want to do this?' I believe in the show and in the game. I had been a fan of the game from the first day. We watched as a family. There was something special about it."
Yes, there was. :|

earendel

#44 Post by earendel » Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:42 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:This article is primariy about SyndieBAM celebrating its 1000th episode, but Lyn's appearance is also discussed, so I'll post the link here.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/entertai ... 9993.story
"It was beaten into the ground by the network," host Meredith Vieira says. "A lot of people said, 'Why would you want to do this?' I believe in the show and in the game. I had been a fan of the game from the first day. We watched as a family. There was something special about it."
Yes, there was. :|
It was NOT "beaten into the ground by the network". It was killed by reliance on celebrity editions that...<sigh> never mind...
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

Shade

#45 Post by Shade » Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:37 am

I see some news website has a video of Lyn's appearance:

http://www.wftv.com/video/14499642/index.html

My computer right now doesn't have sound so I can't really say much about it, but it looks like she also gives commentary.

Also some pictures: http://www.wftv.com/slideshow/iwitness/ ... etail.html

This site went all out with it's Millionaire coverage.
Last edited by Shade on Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

MarleysGh0st

#46 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:40 am

Shade wrote: My computer right now doesn't have sound so I can't really say much about it, but it looks like she also gives commentary.
Before her post was accidentally deleted, Lyn said that these interviews repeated some of the explanations that were in that post. Worth listening to, for those who didn't get a chance to read that.

TheCalvinator24

Re: Transcript 11/01/07 - Lyn Payne

#47 Post by TheCalvinator24 » Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:59 am

[quote="BBTranscriptTeam"]
$16,000
In the name of the A&P supermarket chain, the "A" and the "P" stand for the names of two what?

No problem

$25,000
Fictional author Nathan Zuckerman is featured in several works by what U.S. novelist?

A: Joseph Heller B: Don DeLillo
C: Philip Roth D: Richard Russo

OUCH!!!!

ATA and cross my fingers. I'll assume they would have gotten it right.

$50,000
Located in Russia, Chechnya is a volatile region that neighbors what nation?

Even with as bad as I am in Geography, I knew this.

$100,000
England coronated Queen Elizabeth II in 1953, how many years after the death of Queen Elizabeth I?

Doctor Vardaman would have disavowed ever having been my History Professor if I didn't get this one.

$250,000
Whose New York Times obituary mentioned taht "Since 1889" he "had been hopelessly insane"?

A: Vincent van Gogh B: Franz Kafka
C: Johannes Brahms D: Friedrich Nietzsche

The right answer seems to be the best answer, but I would have either STQ or called a PaF. Probably STQ and hope

$500,000
To the nearest cent, the Bureau of Engraving and Printing spends an average of how much to make each currency note in circulation?

A: 2 cents B: 4 cents
C: 6 cents D: 8 cents

Assuming I'm still in the game, I PaF and hope he Googles it in a hurry.

STQ $500,000
The title of the TV series "Will & Grace" was inspired by what philosopher's famous "I and Thou" treatise?

A: Michel Foucault B: Martin Heidegger
C: Martin Buber D: Ludwig Wittgenstein

I never see this

$1,000,000
Khrushchev's famous 1960 "shoe-banging" outburst at the U.N. was in response to a delegate from what nation?

A: Australia B: The Netherlands
C: The Philippines D: Turkey

If I'm still playing, I use 50-50, and unless they take turkey off the Board, I walk away without batting an eye.

Most likely result on this stack for me would have been $100K. Possible to get the $1MM

Likelihood set at:

100K - 60%
250K - 30%
500K - 8%
1MM - 2%
It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. —Albus Dumbledore

Shade

#48 Post by Shade » Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:19 pm

Lyn's victory video is on Millionairetv.com