Transcript 11/01/07 - Lyn Payne

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 11/01/07 - Lyn Payne

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:12 pm

Lyn Payne
Orlando, FL
Journalist

Lyn is a self-proclaimed trivia geek and four-time Jeopardy champion. She still hasn't gained the confidence of her two kids.

Meredith: In fact, they're more amazed at how much their mom doesn't know. What is that about? You seem very smart to me!

Lyn: Well, when I'm at home playing the game, of course, everything's much easier than it is here, especially for my children, and so if I don't know, like a $100 TV question, they're going, "Oh, no! You don't know that? What's going to happen when you're on the show?" And they look really, really terrified.

Meredith: Oh, because they're worried about you messing up.

Lyn: They're worried about me bombing out on a $100 question about a TV program.

$16,000
In the name of the A&P supermarket chain, the "A" and the "P" stand for the names of two what?

A: U.S. cities B: Bodies of water
C: U.S. states D: Mountain ranges

Lyn remembers getting this question in a trivia game, before.

$25,000
Fictional author Nathan Zuckerman is featured in several works by what U.S. novelist?

A: Joseph Heller B: Don DeLillo
C: Philip Roth D: Richard Russo

Lyn goes "Yes!" as soon as she sees the question.

Lyn: I love you, Philip Roth. I really love you, Philip Roth. I love your books, and now I love you even more.

$50,000
Located in Russia, Chechnya is a volatile region that neighbors what nation?

A: Georgia B: Ukraine
C: Moldova D: Belarus

Lyn really thinks it's Georgia, but she really doesn't want to do anything dumb.

50/50 leaves A & B.

$100,000
England coronated Queen Elizabeth II in 1953, how many years after the death of Queen Elizabeth I?

A: 200 B: 250
C: 300 D: 350

Lyn is a Shakespeare fan and is almost positive Elizabeth I died while he was writing some of his best stuff, in 1603.

-- Commercial Break --

Lyn is feeling kind of overwhelmed, but people who know her know she knows lots of obscure trivia.

Lyn has a 1992 car with peeling paint, the radio doesn't work and the air conditioning just went out, so she needs a new car.

$250,000
Whose New York Times obituary mentioned taht "Since 1889" he "had been hopelessly insane"?

A: Vincent van Gogh B: Franz Kafka
C: Johannes Brahms D: Friedrich Nietzsche

Lyn: This is such a Lyn Payne question! I can't believe that I know this. This is the kind of thing that I read a lot, I read philosophy, so I know this.

Lyn thinks this through some more and her mind is going Nietzsche, Nietzsche, Nietzsche.

$500,000
To the nearest cent, the Bureau of Engraving and Printing spends an average of how much to make each currency note in circulation?

A: 2 cents B: 4 cents
C: 6 cents D: 8 cents

Lyn: I don't like this question, Meredith. This is not a Lyn Payne question. This involves, like, numbers.

If she had to guess, she'd say 4 cents, but Lyn switches the question.

STQ $500,000
The title of the TV series "Will & Grace" was inspired by what philosopher's famous "I and Thou" treatise?

A: Michel Foucault B: Martin Heidegger
C: Martin Buber D: Ludwig Wittgenstein

Lyn: These are philosophers. I like philosophers!

Lyn read the book. She says C: Martin Buber, final answer.

-- Commercial Break --

The pressure is on for the audience. In the six years that Meredith has been hosting the show, they've never been in a position where a contestant could ask the audience on a million dollar question before.

It doesn't seem real to Lyn, because when you're a trivia geek, it's all about the questions.

$1,000,000
Khrushchev's famous 1960 "shoe-banging" outburst at the U.N. was in response to a delegate from what nation?

A: Australia B: The Netherlands
C: The Philippines D: Turkey

Lyn would like to think she knows this, but she doesn't.

ATA: A: 8% B: 29% C: 15% D: 48%

If this was a lower level question, Lyn would feel this question through and decide it was Turkey. She'll probably kill herself, because she thinks Russia was mad at Turkey because of the conflict between Turkey and Greece, and if it wasn't a million dollars, she'd just shout out "Turkey", but
she's not going to do it.

Lyn walks away with $500,000.

Meredith thought the answer was Turkey, too, and she was thinking "Why did you do that? The confetti was ready!"

-- Commercial Break --

Answers:
$16,000: B: Bodies of water
$25,000: C: Philip Roth
$50,000: A: Georgia
$100,000: D: 350
$250,000: D: Friedrich Nietzsche
$500,000: C: 6 cents
STQ $500,000: C: Martin Buber
$1,000,000: C: The Philippines
Last edited by BBTranscriptTeam on Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:30 am, edited 3 times in total.

NellyLunatic1980

Re: Transcript 11/01/07 - Lyn Payne

#2 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:00 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Lyn is a self-proclaimed trivia geek and four-type Jeopardy champion.
OK... that's where I've seen her before. She played against Bob Harris in the '98 TOC.

$25K: Need the audience here.

$50K: I'm glad another former Soviet Republic from that part of the world (such as Armenia or Azerbaijan) didn't show up with Georgia.

$100K: Not as difficult as it looks. If you knew that Elizabeth I was the daughter of Henry VIII, you could narrow the choices down to the last two. And if you saw "Shakespeare in Love", you remember Judi Dench's Oscar-winning (albeit minimal) role as Elizabeth I and knew that 350 years was the only possible answer.

$250K: Kafka was just a kid in 1889, so that was wrong. Brahms made absolutely no sense. van Gogh was a nasty distractor, as he also was committed in 1889. But given that he died only a year after that, I doubted that there would've been a "since 1889" in his obit. Through deduction, I came up with the right answer.

$500K: Seven years ago, me and some of my homeboys vacationed in Philadelphia and Washington D.C. One of the places we visited in D.C. was the Bureau of Engraving and Printing. I'm almost certain that this fact was mentioned in the tour, but I just could not remember what the number was. That was sooooo long ago. Smart idea to STQ.

$500K #2: LOL! What are the chances of a person who loves philosophy getting two high-level philosophy questions in a row? I had no clue on this one. This is a perfect question for a Googling PAF. I did my own Google on this question. Simply typing "i and thou" gets Buber within 5 seconds.

$1M: Khrushchev denounced colonialism at that infamous meeting. Turkey looked right, as a coup d'etat did indeed take place in 1960. Since I still have the 50:50 here, I would've used it. In hindsight, I would've hoped that the 50:50 got rid of Turkey; otherwise, I would've been leaving with $25,000. The 48% vote from the audience made me believe that it was the right answer. Turkey was a downright evil distractor.

I think we finally found a contestant that MBFFB® would have to respect. Lyn played the game absolutely beautifully.

earendel

#3 Post by earendel » Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:15 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote: Lyn Payne
Orlando, FL
Journalist

Lyn is a self-proclaimed trivia geek and four-type Jeopardy champion.

That takes care of the "trivia geek" quota for the season.

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$100,000
England coronated Queen Elizabeth II in 1953, how many years after the death of Queen Elizabeth I?

A: 200 B: 250
C: 300 D: 350

I was thinking around 400, so would have gone with D for my final answer.

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Lyn has a 1992 car with peeling paint, the radio doesn't work and the air conditioning just went out, so she needs a new car.
So where did her 4-day J! winnings go?
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$250,000
Whose New York Times obituary mentioned taht "Since 1889" he "had been hopelessly insane"?

A: Vincent van Gogh B: Franz Kafka
C: Johannes Brahms D: Friedrich Nietzsche
Thanks to studying philosophy in college and the seminary I knew this one and the $500K question as well.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$500,000
To the nearest cent, the Bureau of Engraving and Printing spends an average of how much to make each currency not in circulation?

No idea. From the comfort of my recliner I guessed the right answer, but would have used STQ here also.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:STQ $500,000
The title of the TV series "Will & Grace" was inspired by what philosopher's famous "I and Thou" treatise?

A: Michel Foucault B: Martin Heidegger
C: Martin Buber D: Ludwig Wittgenstein
I didn't know the TV series was inspired by Buber, but I read "I and Thou" in the seminary. A dream question!
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$1,000,000
Khrushchev's famous 1960 "shoe-banging" outburst at the U.N. was in response to a delegate from what nation?

A: Australia B: The Netherlands
C: The Philippines D: Turkey
OK, I'd have been here with 50/50, ATA and PAF still available, so it's time to PAF. I don't know how hard this would have been to Google. Lyn did the right thing - I certainly wouldn't trust the audience on a question of this magnitude (and the ATA results prove it). This is a much harder question than any of those on PTBAM, IMO.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

NellyLunatic1980

#4 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:38 am

earendel wrote:OK, I'd have been here with 50/50, ATA and PAF still available, so it's time to PAF. I don't know how hard this would have been to Google.
I just typed "khrushchev delegate" in the search box. The very first hit returned includes the summary: "A New York Times correspondent, Benjamin Welles, reported that Khrushchev was reacting to a speech by a Philippine delegate..."

The delegate's name was Lorenzo Sumulong.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorenzo_Sumulong

MarleysGh0st

#5 Post by MarleysGh0st » Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:34 am

NellyLunatic1980 wrote: I think we finally found a contestant that MBFFB® would have to respect. Lyn played the game absolutely beautifully.
She was fortunate to get an upper tier so squarely in her wheelhouse, but I agree.

I'm sure she's been pondering--will ponder forever--the same "what if" that I'm thinking of, though. If she had chosen to follow the more conventional strategy of confirming her hunch on the $8K question with the ATA instead of using her PAF first, she'd have had Leszek to google for $1 million.

Is there any doubt he could have done it?

gsabc

#6 Post by gsabc » Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:06 am

I'm very impressed with Lyn, and extremely grateful that these questions are gone. I can't remember another stack where I had only the slightest clue about any question from $25K and up. Would have made it to $100K at best, and that only with a rapid conflagration of lifelines.

Trivia geek or no, it's the largely unrecognized luck factor that gets you high into the stack. It's better to be lucky than good, but she was both. Congrats to her.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

peacock2121

#7 Post by peacock2121 » Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:12 am

The first day of her appearance, I am personally morified to have agreed with HoltDad - that she seemed like Kevin Smith. I am thrilled to say that her second day - there was a transformation, either in her or in me. I loved her - I rooted for her - I was her fan. She showed funness (go ahead, tell me that's not a rod), she showed flair, she showed quirkiness.

I especially loved that Meredith thought she was thrwoing away the million and she didn't.

Hooray for Lyn - even though she is missing an N.

themanintheseersuckersuit

#8 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:16 am

My hats off to Lyn, I'd never have gone this high on this stack.

The ATA on the last question showed a second place spike for the non obvious, (but ultimately correct answer) so walking was a good choice.
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

earendel

#9 Post by earendel » Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:18 am

themanintheseersuckersuit wrote:My hats off to Lyn, I'd never have gone this high on this stack.

The ATA on the last question showed a second place spike for the non obvious, (but ultimately correct answer) so walking was a good choice.
Uh, suitguy, I hate to point this out, but the second most popular answer was "The Netherlands", which was not right, either. Only 15% went with "Philippines", the correct answer.

MarleysGh0st

#10 Post by MarleysGh0st » Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:18 am

peacock2121 wrote: I especially loved that Meredith thought she was thrwoing away the million and she didn't.
Yeah, I bet Meredith is glad she didn't try pressuring Lyn to go for it!

peacock2121

#11 Post by peacock2121 » Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:24 am

I thought Meredith's face was pressuring her.

Subtle, but obvious.

She looked totally different when she was looking at Nancy during the $1,000,000 question.

MarleysGh0st

#12 Post by MarleysGh0st » Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:28 am

peacock2121 wrote:I thought Meredith's face was pressuring her.

Subtle, but obvious.

She looked totally different when she was looking at Nancy during the $1,000,000 question.
So I should have said, "I bet Meredith is glad that she wasn't successful in pressuring Lyn to go for it."

peacock2121

#13 Post by peacock2121 » Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:30 am

I don't think she could have. Lyn seemed sure she was not going to go with a hunch.

Thank goodness

MarleysGh0st

#14 Post by MarleysGh0st » Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:41 am

Here's a short article about Lyn's appearance.

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/entert ... man-w.html

earendel

#15 Post by earendel » Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:43 am

peacock2121 wrote:I don't think she could have. Lyn seemed sure she was not going to go with a hunch.

Thank goodness
I agree that Lyn wasn't going to be stampeded into making a foolish decision. It was a nice gesture for her to apologize to the audience for not going with their answer, too.

peacock2121

#16 Post by peacock2121 » Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:45 am

I really liked her.

She was anti-arrogant.

earendel

#17 Post by earendel » Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:47 am

peacock2121 wrote:I really liked her.

She was anti-arrogant.
And she was certainly a different person in the Hot Seat the second day - she seemed to have loosened up somewhat and was more relaxed.

I also liked her comment that for the trivia geek it's all about the questions, something that we've been saying here for years.

Appa23

#18 Post by Appa23 » Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:53 am

BTW, "Orlando journalist" means that she is an editor for a small Jewish newspaper in Orlando.

Some interesting things when you google her work.

MarleysGh0st

#19 Post by MarleysGh0st » Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:17 am

earendel wrote: I also liked her comment that for the trivia geek it's all about the questions, something that we've been saying here for years.
If only TPTB would listen to that more often!

wintergreen48

#20 Post by wintergreen48 » Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:10 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Lyn Payne
Orlando, FL
Journalist

$16,000
In the name of the A&P supermarket chain, the "A" and the "P" stand for the names of two what?

A: U.S. cities B: Bodies of water
C: U.S. states D: Mountain ranges

I got essentially the same question on my fourth day when I was on Jeopardy! The Category was X's and O's, and the $1,000 Jeopardy! answer was "It's what A&P stands for in the name of the grocery chain.' I answered, "What are the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans?" and Alex ruled me wrong-- based upon the Category of X's and O's, the correct form was (he said) "What are Oceans?" I disagreed, but I didn't argue the point (as it happens, I won that game anyway-- it was one of the days when I went into Final Jeopardy! with more than double anyone else's score-- so it was not a big deal) but I was annoyed. Alex really didn't like me.

peacock2121

#21 Post by peacock2121 » Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:12 am

Alex is an ass.

bazodee

#22 Post by bazodee » Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:46 am

Turkey was a nasty distractor on the $1 Million question. The Cuban Missile Crisis, in part, was set off by the US desire to place missiles in Turkey. Even though the time frame was a few years off, this might have been a foggy memory in the back of someone's head.

earendel

#23 Post by earendel » Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:56 am

bazodee wrote:Turkey was a nasty distractor on the $1 Million question. The Cuban Missile Crisis, in part, was set off by the US desire to place missiles in Turkey. Even though the time frame was a few years off, this might have been a foggy memory in the back of someone's head.
Lyn kept making reference to the Cyprus situation between Greece and Turkey, but if that were true the USSR wouldn't have been too upset, it seems to me, since it involved two NATO countries squabbling with each other.

andrewjackson

#24 Post by andrewjackson » Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:57 am

$500,000
To the nearest cent, the Bureau of Engraving and Printing spends an average of how much to make each currency not in circulation?

I don't understand this question.

Why do they spend money to make currency not in circulation? Or is it different than the money they spend to make currency that is in circulation?

I'm not happy about "each currency" either. Currency is all the money being used in the U.S., not individual denominations. "Each currency" would have to refer to money from different countries wouldn't it?
No matter where you go, there you are.

MarleysGh0st

#25 Post by MarleysGh0st » Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:32 am

andrewjackson wrote:
$500,000

I don't understand this question.

Why do they spend money to make currency not in circulation? Or is it different than the money they spend to make currency that is in circulation?

I'm not happy about "each currency" either. Currency is all the money being used in the U.S., not individual denominations. "Each currency" would have to refer to money from different countries wouldn't it?
Oops. That should have read "currency note". And it does now.

That makes three typos so far in this transcript. How many more did I make? :oops: