"Odd" Q on Friday's Duel

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
mntetn

"Odd" Q on Friday's Duel

#1 Post by mntetn » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:05 am

Spoiler
The question was how many bones total in the 10 fingers of both hands. One of the distractors was 33, which would require one hand to have more bones than the other.
Spoiler
The challenger went with this anyway, along with one other wrong answer, finishing his appearance after just 2 questions.
The champion, an over-the-top player who said he would buy a pirate ship with his winnings, went on to play a 5th duel for ½M.
Spoiler
He played too many chips along the way, and was down to one when they asked him what April's birthstone was.
Last edited by mntetn on Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

MarleysGh0st

Re: "Odd" Q on Friday's Duel

#2 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:09 am

mntetn wrote:
Spoiler
The question was how many fingers total in the 10 fingers of both hands. One of the distractors was 33, which would require one hand to have more fingers than the other.
Spoiler
Huh? Unless I'm completely misreading the question, isn't the answer 10?

Here's Fanny!
Peekaboo!

#3 Post by Here's Fanny! » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:10 am

mntetn wrote:
Spoiler
The question was how many fingers total in the 10 fingers of both hands. One of the distractors was 33, which would require one hand to have more fingers than the other.
Spoiler
The challenger went with this anyway, along with one other wrong answer, finishing his appearance after just 2 questions.
The champion, an over-the-top player who said he would buy a pirate ship with his winnings, went on to play a 5th duel for ½M.
Spoiler
He played too many chips along the way, and was down to one when they asked him what April's birthstone was.
Spoiler
I don't get it. Wouldn't it be 10?
Spoiler
I'm darned good and ready.

starfish1113

#4 Post by starfish1113 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:10 am

I don't understand the question. How many fingers in the 10 fingers of both hands? Maybe I'm being dense...

Here's Fanny!
Peekaboo!

#5 Post by Here's Fanny! » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:11 am

All right, Marley and Spunky are with me on this train so I don't feel like so much of a dumbass.
Spoiler

mntetn

#6 Post by mntetn » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:11 am

[total embarrassment]I fixed it. Try again.[/total embarrassment]

Fickle Finger Of WWTBAM
Merry Man

#7 Post by Fickle Finger Of WWTBAM » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:11 am

I gotchur answer right here!

<------------

-DaFinger

Here's Fanny!
Peekaboo!

#8 Post by Here's Fanny! » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:12 am

Okay, saw the edit. Now I can stop trying to figure it out, since I would have no idea.
Spoiler

mntetn

#9 Post by mntetn » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:14 am

Here's Fanny! wrote:Now I can stop trying to figure it out, since I would have no idea.
Spoiler
I forgot to mention, but they were allowed to look at their hands before they answered. And they did. And neither one pressed the other.

MarleysGh0st

#10 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:18 am

mntetn wrote:
Here's Fanny! wrote:Now I can stop trying to figure it out, since I would have no idea.
Spoiler
I forgot to mention, but they were allowed to look at their hands before they answered. And they did. And neither one pressed the other.
Spoiler
It would be kinda hard to stop them from doing so, since they need to use their hands to place their answer chips down. :P

Here's Fanny!
Peekaboo!

#11 Post by Here's Fanny! » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:23 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
mntetn wrote:
Spoiler
Spoiler
It would be kinda hard to stop them from doing so, since they need to use their hands to place their answer chips down. :P
Okay, everybody! Hands in pockets and tongues on chips!
Spoiler

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#12 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:05 am

I am looking at my hand. Each of my fingers has three bones. Think about how they bend. (From helping study for anatomy for sixth grade PE, I know that there are metacarpals and phalanges in the hand.)

So eight fingers times three bones in each is twenty four. Each of my thumbs has two bones, that's four more bones. So the answer should be twenty eight bones in two hands.

mrkelley23

#13 Post by mrkelley23 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:15 am

PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote:I am looking at my hand. Each of my fingers has three bones. Think about how they bend. (From helping study for anatomy for sixth grade PE, I know that there are metacarpals and phalanges in the hand.)

So eight fingers times three bones in each is twenty four. Each of my thumbs has two bones, that's four more bones. So the answer should be twenty eight bones in two hands.

AAAAAAUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

Stay away from the woman with the jelly palms!

:D
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#14 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:21 am

They don't ask about the hands, just the fingers right?
The question was how many bones total in the 10 fingers of both hands.

mrkelley23

#15 Post by mrkelley23 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:28 am

PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote:They don't ask about the hands, just the fingers right?
Sorry -- didn't see the show yet, didn't read the thread too carefully, especially since there were edits involved. But I never pass up an opportunity to poke at a BB who puts up with me...

Mea culpa. :oops:
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#16 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:31 am

mrkelley23 wrote:
PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote:They don't ask about the hands, just the fingers right?
Sorry -- didn't see the show yet, didn't read the thread too carefully, especially since there were edits involved. But I never pass up an opportunity to poke at a BB who puts up with me...

Mea culpa. :oops:
I thought that it was me who was confused about the question. I am easily distracted these day. :)

etaoin22
FNGD Forum Moderator

#17 Post by etaoin22 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:00 pm

mntetn wrote:
Spoiler
The question was how many bones total in the 10 fingers of both hands. One of the distractors was 33, which would require one hand to have more bones than the other.
Spoiler
Spoiler
Would one be allowed to wiggle one's fingers in order to help make the calculation?

tanstaafl2

#18 Post by tanstaafl2 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:56 pm

Easy question for me but I could see where others might get caught with 30. But to include the answer of 33 was just plain dumb.

Than again there is a lot of that on the show...
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
Ne Illegitimi Carborundum
Cumann na gClann Uí Thighearnaigh

tanstaafl2

#19 Post by tanstaafl2 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:01 pm

mntetn wrote:
He was by far the best player on the show in a while (which may not be saying a lot...) but he was so over the top and ridiculous that by the final game I was pulling for him to lose.

And why in the world would you choose a MAWG for your final contestant? You can't ever know for sure but he would have been my last choice of the three options to play in the final duel.
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
Ne Illegitimi Carborundum
Cumann na gClann Uí Thighearnaigh

Bob Juch

#20 Post by Bob Juch » Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:20 pm

tanstaafl2 wrote:Easy question for me but I could see where others might get caught with 30. But to include the answer of 33 was just plain dumb.

Than again there is a lot of that on the show...
I would have covered 30 just to make sure they didn't count the thumb as having 3.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.