A Question of Priorities

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)

Which book should I finish first?

Poll ended at Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:18 am

The Great Novel
26%
The Trashy Novel
52%
The History
22%

Total votes: 23

wintergreen48

A Question of Priorities

#1 Post by wintergreen48 » Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:18 am

With my upcoming unemployment, I will likely have much time on my hands. A few people have suggested that I spend some of that time writing. The question becomes, writing what?

I have worked sporadically on three different books:

1. The Great Novel is a historical novel that covers the life and peregrinations of a half-Italian Englishman who lived 1392-1456. In the course of his life he experiences Excellent Adventures and Learns Great Truths. This would be a one-off, since it begins with the main character's birth and ends with his death, but if it were phenomenally successful it could lead to other stories, likely set at different times, involving similarly Timeless Themes.

2. The Trashy Novel is a contemporary thriller (police procedural). It involves a serial killer who doesn't think that they are a serial killer (because serial killers are sickos) but who deliberately leaves clues and 'signatures' at crime scenes to make the police think that they are dealing with a serial killer (misdirection). If it were phenomenally successful, it could become a series (involving the police guy who solves the crime).

3. The History is a history of the Byzantine Empire, tracing its history through its rulers from c. 491 (or perhaps starting in 474, so as to include the Emperor who was in power when the Western Empire ended in 476) to 1453. This does not lend itself to sequels, but if it were phenomenally successful, it could lead to other histories that take the same (chronicle) approach.

Which gets done first?

earendel

Re: A Question of Priorities

#2 Post by earendel » Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:20 am

wintergreen48 wrote:With my upcoming unemployment, I will likely have much time on my hands. A few people have suggested that I spend some of that time writing. The question becomes, writing what?

I have worked sporadically on three different books:

1. The Great Novel is a historical novel that covers the life and peregrinations of a half-Italian Englishman who lived 1392-1456. In the course of his life he experiences Excellent Adventures and Learns Great Truths. This would be a one-off, since it begins with the main character's birth and ends with his death, but if it were phenomenally successful it could lead to other stories, likely set at different times, involving similarly Timeless Themes.

2. The Trashy Novel is a contemporary thriller (police procedural). It involves a serial killer who doesn't think that they are a serial killer (because serial killers are sickos) but who deliberately leaves clues and 'signatures' at crime scenes to make the police think that they are dealing with a serial killer (misdirection). If it were phenomenally successful, it could become a series (involving the police guy who solves the crime).

3. The History is a history of the Byzantine Empire, tracing its history through its rulers from c. 491 (or perhaps starting in 474, so as to include the Emperor who was in power when the Western Empire ended in 476) to 1453. This does not lend itself to sequels, but if it were phenomenally successful, it could lead to other histories that take the same (chronicle) approach.

Which gets done first?
As much as I'd love to read the first or third, I'd go with #2, simply because if it is successful, it will bring in enough money to allow you to pursue your true love of the historical works. Gotta pay the bills, after all.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

peacock2121

#3 Post by peacock2121 » Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:22 am

I voted for the Great Novel. I think you need to first get your readers to know and like your style. Your thing is historical stuff, so start of with historical fluff (educate us while we are thinking it is fluff), so that when you write # 3 next, people will know your style, love your style and buy your next novel.

themanintheseersuckersuit

#4 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:23 am

Work on the one you enjoy writing the most.
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

Appa23

#5 Post by Appa23 » Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:26 am

I vote for #3. From your writing style here, it seems like a natural fit for you.

Go for the college textbook sales. :)

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#6 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:32 am

Write the trashy novel and become rich!

MarleysGh0st

#7 Post by MarleysGh0st » Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:35 am

The Trashy Novel may have the largest audience, but mysteries are a hard field to get established in. I've heard Beth Saulnier, a local mystery writer, say that you have to write at least three or four of them to get any kind of traction with the publishers and booksellers.

The History probably has the lowest potential audience of all. I don't know how well this subject has already been covered, but I know that the master of alternate history, Harry Turtledove, started with a Ph.D. in Byzantine History. What can you add to the subject?

I vote for The Great Novel. Turning this into a breakthrough work may be a long shot (isn't all of the writing industry a long shot for newbies?) but your inimical writing style is up to the challenge!

minimetoo26
Royal Pain In Everyone's Ass

#8 Post by minimetoo26 » Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:37 am

Write the trashy novel that becomes the best-seller so someone will publish your other stuff. If the best-seller comes later, everyone will scoop up the old copies of the good stuff at bargain-basement prices.

Being practical and all...

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#9 Post by littlebeast13 » Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:52 am

Choice D: A complete history, with playlists and schedules, of 1420 AM WGAS in Gastonis, NC....

lb13

minimetoo26

#10 Post by minimetoo26 » Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:56 am

littlebeast13 wrote:Choice D: A complete history, with playlists and schedules, of 1420 AM WGAS in Gastonis, NC....

lb13
That's your job, notebook boy! Don't slack it off on wintergreen.... :P

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#11 Post by littlebeast13 » Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:01 am

minimetoo26 wrote:
littlebeast13 wrote:Choice D: A complete history, with playlists and schedules, of 1420 AM WGAS in Gastonis, NC....

lb13
That's your job, notebook boy! Don't slack it off on wintergreen.... :P

Why not? I wouldn't have to do any of the actual writing, and since I came up with the concept, I can be listed as co-author and share all of the royalties.

Don't hate me because I like to use flunkies... :P

lb13

Bixby17

#12 Post by Bixby17 » Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:15 am

themanintheseersuckersuit wrote:Work on the one you enjoy writing the most.
Agreed.

Ultimately, I'd read just about anything in your writing style. You should do what you enjoy the most, without worrying about what will sell. Usually if you do what you like and are enthusiastic about, people can see that in your writing.

mrkelley23

#13 Post by mrkelley23 » Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:40 am

I would give more weight to the opinion of the published authors on the Bored, but my personal recommendationwould be to write what you know the best first. I agree with the others that perhaps TN might help fund the others, but if TN doesn't make it past the slush pile, it won't matter.

Given what I have seen of your writing style, I would be more likely to read #1 than #2. (#3 barely enters into it, since I read such little non-fiction that's not directly related to physics.) Of course, you could do a detective story SET in the Middle Ages, since no one's ever done that

(done that)

(done that)

(done that)
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

Bob Juch

#14 Post by Bob Juch » Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:49 am

mrkelley23 wrote:Of course, you could do a detective story SET in the Middle Ages, since no one's ever done that
Except for The Name of the Rose, etc.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#15 Post by Beebs52 » Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:54 am

Do the trashy novel first for all the reasons listed previously. Also, your style of writing, so elegant, so pointy-sticky at times, erudite and butter smooth, and funny, would make a serial killer novel really entertaining. It wouldn't be your father's blood, guts and gore, you know?
Well, then

mrkelley23

#16 Post by mrkelley23 » Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:56 am

Bob Juch wrote:
mrkelley23 wrote:Of course, you could do a detective story SET in the Middle Ages, since no one's ever done that
SOMEBODY didn't get the joke, did they. :twisted:
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

themanintheseersuckersuit

#17 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:48 am

mrkelley23 wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:
MrK, I didn't read The Name of the Rose, so would you explain the reference to me.?
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

minimetoo26

#18 Post by minimetoo26 » Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:50 am

themanintheseersuckersuit wrote:
mrkelley23 wrote:
Bob Juch wrote: Except for The Name of the Rose, etc.
MrK, I didn't read The Name of the Rose, so would you explain the reference to me.?
He was joking about that being a NOVEL idea. It's been done.

earendel

#19 Post by earendel » Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:54 am

themanintheseersuckersuit wrote:
mrkelley23 wrote:
Bob Juch wrote: Except for The Name of the Rose, etc.
The Name of the Rose is a novel written by Umberto Eco. Its protagonist is a Franciscan friar named William of Baskerville (I presume the location was chosen deliberately as an homage to Conan Doyle). He and his apprentice come to a monastery and William, using deductive reasoning, solves a series of gruesome murders. I don't know if it was the first medieval murder mystery (I think not - I believe Ellis Peters was writing the Brother Cadfael books long before this) but it has inspired a number of imitators.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

mrkelley23

#20 Post by mrkelley23 » Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:20 am

mrkelley23 wrote:I would give more weight to the opinion of the published authors on the Bored, but my personal recommendationwould be to write what you know the best first. I agree with the others that perhaps TN might help fund the others, but if TN doesn't make it past the slush pile, it won't matter.

Given what I have seen of your writing style, I would be more likely to read #1 than #2. (#3 barely enters into it, since I read such little non-fiction that's not directly related to physics.) Of course, you could do a detective story SET in the Middle Ages, since no one's ever done that

(done that)

(done that)

(done that)
Have to quote my original message to explain the joke. The "done that"s underneath the body of the message were intended to simulate an echo, as an homage to Umberto Eco. I was pretty sure wintergreen would get the joke -- I was not actually trying to trap anyone by being obtuse. I should have put a spoiler box in the message, though -- it really is a little obscure, isn't it?

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#21 Post by silvercamaro » Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:26 am

If you write it, I will read it.

That said, I vote for the Mystery Novel. (If you write a mystery, it will not be trashy. I reject that adjective.)

It will be shorter, thus more likely to reach completion before you're offered some other outstanding employment opportunity that will provide far too much money and bennies to prevent you from giving the position serious consideration.)

As a first novel, it will have greater opportunities for publication, as a greater number of publishers support lines in that genre, and a greater number of agents like mysteries for their commercial prospects.

Your mystery novel also will include historical aspects and a unique perspective because you are writing it, and that's what you do.

In addition, I like mysteries, and this is my post, so I can make that a reason. I like historical novels, too, but they tend to be far longer, and any novel you write is going to be for damn sure longer than most, so I might put off starting it until we're all through with Puppy Class, Obedience School, and trips to the vet, which won't be any time soon.

Thus I have cast my vote.

Bob Juch

#22 Post by Bob Juch » Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:29 am

mrkelley23 wrote:Have to quote my original message to explain the joke. The "done that"s underneath the body of the message were intended to simulate an echo, as an homage to Umberto Eco. I was pretty sure wintergreen would get the joke -- I was not actually trying to trap anyone by being obtuse. I should have put a spoiler box in the message, though -- it really is a little obscure, isn't it?
It would have helped if I had finished my second cup of coffee too. :P