Some thoughts on new changes from M.D.

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Snaxx

#51 Post by Snaxx » Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:25 pm

TheConfessor wrote:I'm curious about one more thing. Why did someone (presumably Ogi) change the subject line of this thread from "Michael Davies" to "M.D."?

Let the conspiracy theories commence!

I couldn't find the thread and did a CTRL-F for "Davies", then thought oh well, TPTB got wind and the thread was deleted.

---
Winner of 2011 Sports Madness :mrgreen:

TheCalvinator24

#52 Post by TheCalvinator24 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:04 pm

TheConfessor wrote:
peacock2121 wrote:
TheConfessor wrote: Yes, so far.
TPTB should use that!

Who do we have to call to get you on the list for "Ask The Smart Guys" LL list?

You have been unjustly excluded.

Unless you have been included and declined, then I'll just shut up and go back to my corner.
Thanks for the vote of support, but I'm not campaigning for anything. If they think I can help the show in any way, I'd be happy to do so and they know how to find me.

Considering the Big Picture, I would never use the word "unjust" to characterize how the show has treated me. Quite the opposite. My impression is that they would prefer to use "experts" from the syndicated version of the show. For whatever reason, they seem to intentionally distance themselves from the original prime time version of the show.
Maybe they could just pretend the primetime show never existed and make all of us eligible again.

:D
It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. —Albus Dumbledore

LastMinuteRequest

#53 Post by LastMinuteRequest » Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:59 pm

TheConfessor wrote:I'm curious about one more thing. Why did someone (presumably Ogi) change the subject line of this thread from "Michael Davies" to "M.D."?
Heh heh, no, I was just getting a little nervous that the contents of this thread might get spread further than Davies had intended when he gave me permission to disclose them, so I just wanted to make the subject line a little more incognito. Probably it will have no effect on any ultimate dispersal, but at least I wanted to make the effort... :P

DadofTwins

#54 Post by DadofTwins » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:33 pm

Ogi,

Thanks for the report.

I like the "Menu" idea (if executed properly), and I like replacing 50-50 with Double Dip. As for the "expert" lifeline, meh. Unless the "experts" are tailored to the category, this might not be as much help as they imagine.

I, too, would like to see the writing spruced up a bit. I think that might be the most important change they have planned.

It sounds like MD and the other PTB are happy with the casting of the past few seasons. Knowing that they are finding what they are looking for -- and that (except for about 10 slots a year) I'm not it -- makes it easier to decide how far to drive for an audition.
We have enough youth. How about a fountain of smart?

frogman042
Bored Pun-dit

#55 Post by frogman042 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:21 am

Boy, am I itching to chime in on this thread - but I can't until the end of September. I would say the only downside of my whole experience is having to wait 2 months to talk about it.

---Jay (Want to know what happened? Tune in on Sept. 29th and find out!)

TheConfessor

#56 Post by TheConfessor » Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:45 am

LastMinuteRequest wrote:
TheConfessor wrote: (third most recent contestant to reach the top)
Wow -- you were the last winner on the Regis show? I don't think I ever knew that!

Do you know, have they ever re-aired your unusual appearance?
I don't think my winning appearance has ever been replayed on ABC or GSN. I hear that GSN has shown me lose at least a few times, but they have never shown my winning episode. Maybe they don't own it, or maybe they don't have a schedule slot available for any half hour episodes. Seems like they could just play two half hour episodes in an hour slot.

peacock2121

#57 Post by peacock2121 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:14 am

frogman042 wrote:Boy, am I itching to chime in on this thread - but I can't until the end of September. I would say the only downside of my whole experience is having to wait 2 months to talk about it.

---Jay (Want to know what happened? Tune in on Sept. 29th and find out!)
We have an air date!

You are one of the lucky ones. Many here waited 6 months or more to see their show air.

Hotseat Or Bust!
Bored Hottie

#58 Post by Hotseat Or Bust! » Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:42 am

I am wondering about the timer. Does the 15 seconds, 30 seconds---or however long it is---begin once the question is read, or after the question and 4 possible answers? Also, must the contestant buzz in/stop time before the time is up, or when time is up does Meredith say something like--okay we need your answer now, which actually would allow a few extra seconds or so? Maybe these are things we have to wait until Sept. to find out, but I was just curious.

LastMinuteRequest

#59 Post by LastMinuteRequest » Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:19 pm

Hotseat Or Bust! wrote:I am wondering about the timer. Does the 15 seconds, 30 seconds---or however long it is---begin once the question is read, or after the question and 4 possible answers? Also, must the contestant buzz in/stop time before the time is up, or when time is up does Meredith say something like--okay we need your answer now, which actually would allow a few extra seconds or so? Maybe these are things we have to wait until Sept. to find out, but I was just curious.
The question is shown by itself, before answers are shown, and before the clock starts.

And I don't believe there's any kind of buzzer.

ghostjmf

#60 Post by ghostjmf » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:31 pm

How is this time limit going to affect Googling PAFs? Surely they're not going to make it less than 30 seconds? Or...

LastMinuteRequest

#61 Post by LastMinuteRequest » Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:02 pm

ghostjmf wrote:How is this time limit going to affect Googling PAFs? Surely they're not going to make it less than 30 seconds? Or...
I don't think the 30 seconds PAF clock has changed.

ghostjmf

#62 Post by ghostjmf » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:56 am

Philosophically:

I am probably going to get some grim, mean-spirited fun of the sort the list holier-than-thous like to pretend they think I go for (& I so rarely do, in real life) from watching the 1st few weeks of the new season, as charming personality after charming personality gets mown down like battlefield chaff in a Monty Python-type movie, not realizing 'til it was all over that their intended charm-&-banter (did I use the word "charm" enough?) session had turned into a timed test.

A few deceptively charming (that word again) but actually J!-material people will actually rise to the speed-challenge & take them for all they're worth. I hope & pray. But the majority are going to be scythe-fodder, at least until the restructurers get the kinks worked out. If ever they do.