QoD July 31, 2008

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
KillerTomato

Re: QoD July 31, 2008

#26 Post by KillerTomato » Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:24 pm

Spoiler
As I know less than squat about the second dullest game ever (right behind golf), you can put me down for a zero right now. And since I've just insulted your favorite sport, I won't even be able to score any humor points, but I'll try anyway! :-)

1. West Bromwich Albion, West Ham United, and Wigan Athletic are all soccer teams in the Premier League of what country? (Be specific here. When it comes to soccer, excuse me, football, they are picky so I will be as well.)

Western Sahara

2. Xabi and Xavi are two players on the national soccer team of what country that won the Euro 2008 soccer title and had individuals win at Wimbledon and in the Tour de France this year?

X-cuador

3. What is the color of the shirts traditionally worn by Brazil’s national soccer teams?

Yellow. Unless it's Shocking Pink. Everyone knows all pro soccer players are gay. NTTAWWT.

4. Zinedine Zidane played for Juventus in Italy and Real Madrid in Spain but helped what country to the World Cup title in 1998 before getting kicked out of the 2006 World Cup final for a head-to-head meeting with an opponent?

Zambia

Andy, you were a terrific host, and thanks very much for the game. This despite your obsession with guys in short shorts kicking their balls around. Again, NTTAWWT. :-)
There is something wrong in a government where they who do the most have the least. There is something wrong when honesty wears a rag, and rascality a robe; when the loving, the tender, eat a crust while the infamous sit at banquets.
-- Robert G. Ingersoll

Catfish

#27 Post by Catfish » Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:42 pm

I forgot to put it in my answer, AJ, but ditto what everyone else has said in praise of your game leadership. It was a much-fun month.
Love,
Catfish

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

Re: QoD July 31, 2008

#28 Post by ulysses5019 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:16 pm

andrewjackson wrote:QoD July 31, 2008

As promised, the All Soccer QoD:

2 points per correct answer, 10 points if you get all four correct. Answer with a Spoiler tag in one post in this thread before noon CDT on Friday, August 1.

No outside sources allowed. Just take your best guess.

1. West Bromwich Albion, West Ham United, and Wigan Athletic are all soccer teams in the Premier League of what country? (Be specific here. When it comes to soccer, excuse me, football, they are picky so I will be as well.)

2. Xabi and Xavi are two players on the national soccer team of what country that won the Euro 2008 soccer title and had individuals win at Wimbledon and in the Tour de France this year?

3. What is the color of the shirts traditionally worn by Brazil’s national soccer teams?

4. Zinedine Zidane played for Juventus in Italy and Real Madrid in Spain but helped what country to the World Cup title in 1998 before getting kicked out of the 2006 World Cup final for a head-to-head meeting with an opponent?

That's it. The Final QoD for July. Thank you all for playing this month whether you played once or every day. It was all appreciated. There is nothing better for a Meister than to have people say, “That looks like fun. I’ll give it a try.”

SPOILER
SPACE
Spoiler

Scotland

Spain

Yellow

France
I believe in the usefulness of useless information.

andrewjackson

#29 Post by andrewjackson » Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:54 am

QoD July 31, 2008

ANSWERS

England. England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland all have their own leagues. There is no United Kingdom league. While not technically part of the UK, even places like the Isle of Man and Guernsey have their own leagues. Wales would have been a good guess but their teams have names like Aberystwyth Town, Caersws, and Llansantffraid-ym-Mechain.

Spain. Spaniards Rafael Nadal and Carlos Sastre were the winners in the other events.

Yellow. Often some green trim or a blue alternate jersey but traditionally yellow.

France.
I was using "head-to-head" somewhat figuratively but, yes, it was literally head-to-chest.

Good job by the 10 pointers today. I tried to make this a manageable soccer quiz and it looks like I succeeded. Interesting that it is mostly not the usual crowd at the top of the table.

appa - 10
sunflower - 10
kroxquo - 10
JBG - 10
mcd - 10
Rexer - 10
gsabc - 10
juliea - 6
Marley - 6
Fanny - 6
sprots - 6
tlynn - 6
jsuchard - 6
Hambone - 6
Confessor - 6
AnnieC - 6
Uly - 6
Nelly - 4
tanstaafl - 4
jarnon - 4
LFHP - 2
catfish - 2
wintergreen - 2
KT - 2
No matter where you go, there you are.

MarleysGh0st

#30 Post by MarleysGh0st » Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:17 pm

andrewjackson wrote:Good job by the 10 pointers today. I tried to make this a manageable soccer quiz and it looks like I succeeded. Interesting that it is mostly not the usual crowd at the top of the table.
Yeah, despite the fact that you warned us about the upcoming soccer them, I managed not to be paying attention to the outcome of Euro 2008 soccer or Wimbledon or the Tour de France. ("They talked about having that incredibly long finals match at Wimbledon...and the winner's name was...uhhh...") :roll:

But I can't say you weren't offering us a fair chance on that one.

Thanks for a great month, Meister AJ!

andrewjackson

#31 Post by andrewjackson » Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:34 pm

wintergreen48 wrote:
All I know about soccer is that the games last a long time and not much happens.
I'm going to take this as a joke. Right?

Regular season soccer matches last 2 hours. Max. That's shorter than almost any other sport you can name.

And there is almost continuous action for two periods of 45 minutes. There is way more happening than in almost any other sport you can name.

If by "not much happens" you mean scoring, well consider this comparison. An average NFL game has 4.5 touchdowns. An average MLS game has 2.9 goals. When you adjust for the different lengths of games.

NFL - touchdown every 40 minutes (180 minute game)
MLS - goal every 41 minutes (120 minute game)

Almost exactly the same.
No matter where you go, there you are.