Another quickie science quiz

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
mrkelley23

Another quickie science quiz

#1 Post by mrkelley23 » Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:34 pm

Go ahead and test your knowledge of the Systeme Internationale, aka the International System, but better (and imprecisely) known as the metric system!

I probably own't post answers until Monday morning, to give everyone a chance to play.

Units of Measure quiz, Part I – the International System of Units

The following questions deal with the names of units used in the International System of Units (SI).

1. What is the unit of magnetic flux density, named after an ethnic Serb who later became an American?

A. Weber B. Joule C. Tesla D. Siemens E. Farad

2. One of the many units used to express pressure, what metric unit is named after a 17th Century philosopher and mathematician?

A. Newton B. Hooke C. Joule D. Pascal E. Coulomb

3. Used primarily in the medical field, what anatomy-based unit helps measure the absorbed dose of radioactivity and is equal to one Joule/kg?

A. Gray B. Geiger C. Becquerel D. Akbar E. Bethe

4. What unit is used to measure frequency of waves, particularly sound waves? (Even painful ones)

A. Second B. Volt C. Lambdas D. Shortz E. Hertz

5. Which of these metric units is NOT named for a real person?

A. Lux B. Henry C. Farad D. Sievert E. Newton

6. The Ohm is a unit measuring what electrical quantity?

A. Current B. Resistance C. Potential D. Inductance E. Conductance

7. Which of these is NOT considered a base unit in SI (the metric system)?

A. Second B. Kelvin C. Candela D. Mole E. Lumen

8. Also sometimes called a mho, since it’s the inverse of an ohm, a unit of electrical conductance is known by what name?

A. Weber B. Tesla C. Farad D. Siemens E. Sievert

9. Named after Steam engine great James Watt, the Watt is a unit of what physical quantity?

A. Power B. Work C. Kinetic Energy D. Temperature E. Pressure

10. The only difference between this temperature scale and the Celsius scale is the presence of a “true” zero, which strangely enough is called Absolute zero. What is this scientific temperature scale?

A. Rankine B. Fahrenheit C. Kelvin D. Torricelli E. Faraday
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

gsabc

#2 Post by gsabc » Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:42 pm

Spoiler
1. A
2. D
3. A
4. E (not Avis?)
5. A
6. B
7. A(?)
8. D
9. A
10. C
Added the spoiler, too. Didn't think of it the first time.
Last edited by gsabc on Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

tanstaafl2

#3 Post by tanstaafl2 » Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:43 pm

Spoiler
C. Tesla
A. Newton
A. Gray
E. Hertz
A. Lux
B. Resistance
C. Candela ?
D. Siemens ?
A. Power
C. Kelvin
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
Ne Illegitimi Carborundum
Cumann na gClann Uí Thighearnaigh

Ritterskoop

Re: Another quickie science quiz

#4 Post by Ritterskoop » Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:45 pm

Spoiler
1. C. Tesla
2. D. Pascal
3. C. Becquerel (sounds purty)
4. E. Hertz
5. C. Farad
6. B. Resistance
7. E. Lumen (something to do with light)
8. A. Weber (no idea)
9. A. Power
10. C. Kelvin
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

Ritterskoop

#5 Post by Ritterskoop » Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:46 pm

I edited to tag it as spoiler. Didn't change any answers.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

christie1111
11:11

#6 Post by christie1111 » Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:47 pm

I quess I better get a few of these right....
Spoiler
[quote="mrkelley23"]Go ahead and test your knowledge of the Systeme Internationale, aka the International System, but better (and imprecisely) known as the metric system!

I probably own't post answers until Monday morning, to give everyone a chance to play.

The following questions deal with the names of units used in the International System of Units (SI).

1. What is the unit of magnetic flux density, named after an ethnic Serb who later became an American?

C. Tesla

2. One of the many units used to express pressure, what metric unit is named after a 17th Century philosopher and mathematician?

D. Pascal

3. Used primarily in the medical field, what anatomy-based unit helps measure the absorbed dose of radioactivity and is equal to one Joule/kg?

C. Becquerel

4. What unit is used to measure frequency of waves, particularly sound waves? (Even painful ones)

E. Hertz

A. Lux

B. Resistance

E. Lumen

8. Also sometimes called a mho, since it’s the inverse of an ohm, a unit of electrical conductance is known by what name?

D. Siemens

9. Named after Steam engine great James Watt, the Watt is a unit of what physical quantity?

A. Power

10. The only difference between this temperature scale and the Celsius scale is the presence of a “true” zero, which strangely enough is called Absolute zero. What is this scientific temperature scale?

C. Kelvin
"A bed without a quilt is like the sky without stars"

MarleysGh0st

#7 Post by MarleysGh0st » Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:14 pm

I'm afraid they may repossess my EE diploma if I miss too many of these. Not that I could pass any of my final exams again if my life depended on it. :oops:

Spoiler
1. C. Tesla
2. D. Pascal
3. C. Becquerel
4. E. Hertz
5. A. Lux
6. B. Resistance
7. E. Lumen
8. A. Weber (Ack! This one's a WAG.)
9. A. Power
10. C. Kelvin

Bob Juch

#8 Post by Bob Juch » Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:20 pm

Spoiler
mrkelley23 wrote:Go ahead and test your knowledge of the Systeme Internationale, aka the International System, but better (and imprecisely) known as the metric system!

C. Tesla

D. Pascal

A. Gray

E. Hertz

A. Lux

B. Resistance

E. Lumen

D. Siemens

B. Work

C. Kelvin

andrewjackson

#9 Post by andrewjackson » Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:22 pm

Spoiler
1. C. Tesla

2. D. Pascal

3. E. Bethe

4. E. Hertz

5. A. Lux

6. B. Resistance

7. E. Lumen

8. D. Siemens

9. A. Power

10. C. Kelvin
No matter where you go, there you are.