FRIDAY 11/2/07 QoD

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
tanstaafl2

Re: 11/2/07 QoD

#26 Post by tanstaafl2 » Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:54 pm

TheCalvinator24 wrote:WikiPedia is verboten for this QoD
I suppose it pays to read the rules. Not only did I not use Wiki I didn't bother to use google or anything else, which apparently would have been allowed. That would presumably have made this quiz a little bit easier.
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
Ne Illegitimi Carborundum
Cumann na gClann Uí Thighearnaigh

JBillyGirl

Re: FRIDAY 11/2/07 QoD

#27 Post by JBillyGirl » Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:00 pm

1. What were the two camps from which Oskar Schindler obtained his workers?

I know this at one point, but I'm drawing a big ol' blank.

2. Who was the Commandant of the first of those camps?

Amon Goeth

3. Who portrayed that Commandant in the movie Schindler's List?

Ralph Fiennes

4. In what city was that Commandant born?

Frankfurt

5. In what city was Oskar Schindler born?

Frankfurt (WTF, I have no idea on either)

6. What is the name of the Memorial in Jerusalem in which Schindler is honored? (Please give the English transliteration, and not the original Hebrew)

Hall of the Righteous?

7. Oskar Schindler is credited with spending over 4 million German Marks to save approximately 1200 Jews. According to the movie, Schindler's List, approximately how many descendants of the Schindlerjuden were living at the time of the movie's production?

B. 6000

tlynn78

#28 Post by tlynn78 » Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:55 pm

Spoiler
1. Plaszow and Auschwitz
2., Amon leopold Goeth
3. Ralph Fiennes
4. Vienna
5. Zwittau
6. Yad Vashem Memorial
7. 6000

t.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

TheCalvinator24

FRIDAY 11/2/07 QoD ANSWERS

#29 Post by TheCalvinator24 » Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:09 am

What I was looking for here was Plaszow & Brunlitz, but given the sloppy wording, I also have to accept Auschwitz & Gross-Rosen.

Regardless of the sloppiness of Q1, the first camp was Plaszow, so this is Amon Goeth.

Ralph Fiennes

Vienna

Zwittau

6. What is the name of the Memorial in Jerusalem in which Schindler is honored? (Please give the English transliteration, and not the original Hebrew)

Yad Vashen

7. Oskar Schindler is credited with spending over 4 million German Marks to save approximately 1200 Jews. According to the movie, Schindler's List, approximately how many descendants of the Schindlerjuden were living at the time of the movie's production?

A. 3000
B. 6000
C. 13,000
D. 16,000

S

P

O

I

L

E

R

S

P

A

C

E
It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. —Albus Dumbledore

mrkelley23

Re: FRIDAY 11/2/07 QoD ANSWERS

#30 Post by mrkelley23 » Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:16 am

TheCalvinator24 wrote:

What I was looking for here was Plaszow & Brunlitz, but given the sloppy wording, I also have to accept Auschwitz & Gross-Rosen.

Regardless of the sloppiness of Q1, the first camp was Plaszow, so this is Amon Goeth.

Ralph Fiennes

Vienna

Zwittau

Yad Vashen

I guess I misunderstood this question, too. Not my week for reading, I guess. I saw Yad Vashem, but figured those were the Hebrew words. So I looked for an English translation of Yad Vashem.

A. 3000
B. 6000
C. 13,000
D. 16,000

S

P

O

I

L

E

R

S

P

A

C

E
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

TheCalvinator24

FRIDAY 11/2/07 QoD POINTS

#31 Post by TheCalvinator24 » Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:18 am

jarnon ----------- 0
tanstaafl2 ------- 0
andrewjackson - 0
BobJuch -------- 15
tubadave -------- 0
takinover ------- 0
wintergreen48 - 14
Odyssey -------- 0
ToLiveIsToFly --- 0
peacock2121 -- 13
mrkelley23 ------ 0
JBillyGirl --------- 0
tlynn78 --------- 12

HUMOR POINTS

LFHP 1
Nelly 1 (Burkhalter is funnier than Klink)
It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. —Albus Dumbledore

Odyssey
Flower Girl

#32 Post by Odyssey » Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:48 am

TheCalvinator24 wrote:

Yad Vashen

E
I don't get how this is the English translation?
Odyssey

TheCalvinator24

#33 Post by TheCalvinator24 » Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:48 am

Odyssey wrote:
TheCalvinator24 wrote:

Yad Vashen

E
I didn't ask for the English translation

Odyssey
Flower Girl

#34 Post by Odyssey » Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:01 am

D'oh!
TheCalvinator24 wrote:
Odyssey wrote:
TheCalvinator24 wrote:
Odyssey

mrkelley23

#35 Post by mrkelley23 » Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:28 am

Odyssey wrote:D'oh!
TheCalvinator24 wrote:
Odyssey wrote:
Yeah, Cal was trying to keep us from using that Hebrew font that was part of the latest IE update.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

Odyssey
Flower Girl

#36 Post by Odyssey » Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:50 am

[quote

Yeah, Cal was trying to keep us from using that Hebrew font that was part of the latest IE update.[/quote]

Just what I was thinking--How in the heck was I ever, ever going to post in Hebrew?
It actually took more time to get the translation than it did to find the Yad Vashem. But if I am ever asked what that means, I'm so ready.
Odyssey

mrkelley23

#37 Post by mrkelley23 » Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:57 am

Odyssey wrote:[quote

Yeah, Cal was trying to keep us from using that Hebrew font that was part of the latest IE update.
Just what I was thinking--How in the heck was I ever, ever going to post in Hebrew?
It actually took more time to get the translation than it did to find the Yad Vashem. But if I am ever asked what that means, I'm so ready.[/quote]

And if you want to get really technical, I think he wanted "transcription," rather than transliteration.

At least I"m not bitter.

earendel

#38 Post by earendel » Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:01 am

mrkelley23 wrote:And if you want to get really technical, I think he wanted "transcription," rather than transliteration.
No, "transliteration" is what I believe Cal wanted - the English letters substituted for the Hebrew ones, and written in correct order (left to right as opposed to right to left).

Literally it means "a memorial and a name" and is taken from Isaiah 56:6.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

Odyssey
Flower Girl

#39 Post by Odyssey » Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:03 am

I found Garden of the Righteous--what's that then?
Odyssey

mrkelley23

#40 Post by mrkelley23 » Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:05 am

earendel wrote:
mrkelley23 wrote:And if you want to get really technical, I think he wanted "transcription," rather than transliteration.
No, "transliteration" is what I believe Cal wanted - the English letters substituted for the Hebrew ones, and written in correct order (left to right as opposed to right to left).

I don't know a lot about Hebrew (okay, practically nothing) but my understanding is that transliteration attempts to reproduce the pronunciation faithfully in the language being converted to. So a native English speaker could read Yad Vashem and be reasonably certain that she is pronouncing it close to correctly. I don't see how that's possible without any diacritical marks.

Transcription, on the other hand, is merely converting alphabets -- taking the letters of the word in its original language and substituting the nearest equivalents in the new language. My ignorance of Hebrew may be showing, but that appears to me to be closer to what Yad Vashem is.

earendel

#41 Post by earendel » Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:08 am

mrkelley23 wrote:
earendel wrote:

I don't know a lot about Hebrew (okay, practically nothing) but my understanding is that transliteration attempts to reproduce the pronunciation faithfully in the language being converted to. So a native English speaker could read Yad Vashem and be reasonably certain that she is pronouncing it close to correctly. I don't see how that's possible without any diacritical marks.

Transcription, on the other hand, is merely converting alphabets -- taking the letters of the word in its original language and substituting the nearest equivalents in the new language. My ignorance of Hebrew may be showing, but that appears to me to be closer to what Yad Vashem is.
I'd say it's both - the English letters are chosen because they represent the same sound made by the Hebrew equivalent - the English "y" replaces the Hebrew "yodh", the English dipthong "sh" replaces the Hebrew consonant "shin", etc.

earendel

#42 Post by earendel » Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:12 am

Odyssey wrote:I found Garden of the Righteous--what's that then?
Well, the Hebrew word for "garden" is "gan" or "gath", and the Hebrew word for "righteous" is "tzedek". The phrase refers to a memorial garden that is part of the Yad Vashem complex, dedicated to those Gentiles who risked their lives to rescue Jews during the Holocaust.

Odyssey
Flower Girl

#43 Post by Odyssey » Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:19 am

Ahh, thanks Earendel. Now I'm ready.
Anything else in the Yad Vashem complex that is noteworthy from a trivia perspective?
Odyssey

mrkelley23

#44 Post by mrkelley23 » Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:22 am

earendel wrote: I'd say it's both - the English letters are chosen because they represent the same sound made by the Hebrew equivalent - the English "y" replaces the Hebrew "yodh", the English dipthong "sh" replaces the Hebrew consonant "shin", etc.
If you look at my answer post in this thread, and then Cal's answers, you'll see that I spelled the second camp as "Brinnlitz" and Cal spelled it as "Brunlitz." Mine is a transliteration (the "inn" approximates the umlauted u) while his is a transcription (the u is there in the German name, but it has an umlaut, which gives it a different pronunciation)

It's possible that "Yad Vashem" is the same whether it's transliterated or transcribed, but I doubt it.

earendel

#45 Post by earendel » Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:56 am

mrkelley23 wrote:If you look at my answer post in this thread, and then Cal's answers, you'll see that I spelled the second camp as "Brinnlitz" and Cal spelled it as "Brunlitz." Mine is a transliteration (the "inn" approximates the umlauted u) while his is a transcription (the u is there in the German name, but it has an umlaut, which gives it a different pronunciation)

It's possible that "Yad Vashem" is the same whether it's transliterated or transcribed, but I doubt it.
It's both - the English letters produce a pronunciation that is very close to the Hebrew (or at least modern Hebrew - the "Yemenite" pronunciation I learned in the seminary would require the second word to be transliterated as "washem").