Flu shots and immunizations in general.

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Ritterskoop

#51 Post by Ritterskoop » Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:13 am

I agree about the medicine needing to be dosed to the baby's weight. They do it at the vet - Dub gets a double dose of some things.....

I spent several weeks with a Down Syndrome stepcousin when I was 18. She was wonderful. I argue loudly that we are better people for having DS folks in our lives. They remind us about trust, and unconditional love. 5LD, you are one of the best people I know to be in love with a Down baby. Bless you.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

Bob Juch

#52 Post by Bob Juch » Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:27 am

5LD wrote:Having two little ones I did the research on vaccines. Thimerosal was the ingredient that had everyone freaked out. It's gone now from the vaccines and I think most have calmed down about it.
Not true! I had to pass on my flu shot last year when I was asked if I was sensitive to it. They were still using it as a preservative!

AnnieCamaro
Four-Footer

#53 Post by AnnieCamaro » Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:44 am

Ritterskoop wrote:5LD, you are one of the best people I know to be in love....
That's silly, Miss Ritters. She's a mom! That's what moms do.
Sou iu koto de.

Ritterskoop

#54 Post by Ritterskoop » Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:18 am

Bob Juch wrote:
5LD wrote:Having two little ones I did the research on vaccines. Thimerosal was the ingredient that had everyone freaked out. It's gone now from the vaccines and I think most have calmed down about it.
Not true! I had to pass on my flu shot last year when I was asked if I was sensitive to it. They were still using it as a preservative!
Based on what I read tonight, they do still use Thimerosal in flu vaccines but not in the vaccines you get for measles and mumps and polio and whatever, at 12-15 months. I guess the thinking is, if it triggered autism, it would be safe in grownups and even children for flu shots.

To me, the idea that autism comes from pre-birth just fits better. But I don't say the other ideas are false, because I don't know.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

Appa23

#55 Post by Appa23 » Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:24 am

I already see that Skoop and 5LD provided some of the things that I would say.

We also looked at the "immunization/autism" issue and arguments, and we came to the conclusion that there was no link (though I absolutely understand parents wanting to find a reason for the diagnosis. It was that way with my parents when my sister was born "handicapped").

Here is one good, informational site that I found:

http://www.immunizationinfo.org/immuniz ... .cfv?id=52

Appa23

#56 Post by Appa23 » Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:32 am

I also wanted to note that we had some concerns about over-immunixation. Both of our older children essentially received double doses of every vaccination that is scheduled from birth to 4 months old, as they were required to repeat these vaccinations when they came to the United States, despite having them administered in South Korea.

Of course, they did not receive the MMR shot until they were here.