Transcript 11/02/2007 - Brian Cervantez

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 11/02/2007 - Brian Cervantez

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Sat Nov 03, 2007 5:05 am

Brian Cervantez
Ft. Worth, TX
History professor

Brian is most definitely from Ft. Worth, not Dallas. "Life is too short to live in Dallas." Ft. Worth is the place to be.

$100 - What historic event involved colonists raiding ships and dumping large quantities of cargo into a harbor?

A - March on Washington
B - Boston Tea Party
C - Iran-Contra Affair
D - Colonial Booze Cruise

This is up Brian's alley as a history professor.

$200 - The term "chick lit" refers to books that are aimed primarily at what audience?

A - teenagers
B - children
C - women
D - senior citizens

$300 - Which of the following is usually caused by gastroesophageal reflux and not sorrow over a lost love?

A - heartburn
B - heartbreak
C - heartache
D - heartsickness

$500 - The EPA commonly advises, "Don't top off" to encourage conservation during what activity?

A - showering
B - running an air conditioner
C - pumping gas
D - barbecuing

$1K - The polemonium plant derives its common nickname from a Biblical story about a "ladder" seen by whom?

A - Abraham
B - Isaac
C - Solomon
D - Jacob

Commercial break

Meredith says he seems cool and collected here but when he got the call he was so excited that his wife commented that she had never seen him so excited, even on their wedding day. Meredith asks, "Wedding day or night?" Brian says he is still excited about being married. Meredith replies, "Save it for your wife."

$2K - The HBO series "Extras" chornicles the struggles of people pursuing careers in what field?

A - journalism
B - interior design
C - acting
D - advertising

Brian says if you want to pursue an career in acting you'd have to work as an extra.

$4K - Though it's not known for making cats crazy, which of these herbs is classified in the same family as catnip?

A - oregano
B - dill
C - parsley
D - fennel

After reading the question Meredith comments that Martha Stewart was on the "Today Show" recently and told her it was pronounced "herbs" (with the "h"). She always thought it was pronounced "erbs", as did Brian. Meredith says, "Either way it's a good thing." Brian has an idea but he's not 100%, so he decides to ask the audience.

ATA results:
A - 51%
B - 11%
C - 16%
D - 22%

The audience's answer is what Brian was leading toward so he decides to trust them.

$8K - Before marrying Ronald Reagan, former First Lady Nancy Reagan went by what last name?

A - Thomas
B - Harris
C - Peters
D - Davis

Commercial break

$16K - A 98-pound weakling weighs about how many kilograms?

A - 24
B - 44
C - 124
D - 204

Brian is leaning toward one and to be on the safe side he wants to use the 50/50, leaving B and D. Brian comments that it's more than 25 kilograms. The answer he was leaning toward is still there and he's happy about that. He makes "D" his final answer and leaves with $1K.

THE HORN!!!!!

ANSWERS:
$100 - B (Boston Tea Party)
$200 - C (women)
$300 - A (heartburn)
$500 - C (pumping gas)
$1K - D (Jacob)
$2K - C (acting)
$4K - A (oregano)
$8K - D (Davis
$16K - B (44)

MarleysGh0st

Re: Transcript 11/02/2007 - Brian Cervantez

#2 Post by MarleysGh0st » Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:05 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote: $16K - A 98-pound weakling weighs about how many kilograms?

A - 24
B - 44
C - 124
D - 204

Brian is leaning toward one and to be on the safe side he wants to use the 50/50, leaving B and D. Brian comments that it's more than 25 kilograms. The answer he was leaning toward is still there and he's happy about that. He makes "D" his final answer and leaves with $1K.
I kept waiting for Brian to say what his estimate was for the conversion of pounds to kilograms. When he reached for the 50/50 (a counter example to Rania's just doing the math) and he said his hunch was still there, I figured he had the right estimate but hadn't wanted to tempt the 50/50 randomization gods.

Ouch.

Shade

#3 Post by Shade » Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:15 am

$1K - I wasn't sure, Phone A Friend
$4K: I probably would gotten it if I used the 50:50
8k: I had an idea but I wouldn't be confident enough to risk it and drop to 1000, ATA
16k: I'm pretty sure I knew the answer to this, whether I would of gone for it in the hot seat...I'm not quite sure

peacock2121

#4 Post by peacock2121 » Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:25 am

I can only assume he knew the 2.2 thing and went the wrong way. Bad 50/50.

Shade

#5 Post by Shade » Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:28 am

I think they should get ride of Switch the Question and replace it with Double Dip, so that if someone uses the 50:50 and it doesn't help, they can just double dip and get the right answer. Switch the Question is sometimes a bad thing, I've seen many a contestant know the answer to a question but aren't sure enough to go for it, switch the question and have no clue on the new one.

MarleysGh0st

#6 Post by MarleysGh0st » Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:35 am

Shade wrote:I think they should get ride of Switch the Question and replace it with Double Dip, so that if someone uses the 50:50 and it doesn't help, they can just double dip and get the right answer. Switch the Question is sometimes a bad thing, I've seen many a contestant know the answer to a question but aren't sure enough to go for it, switch the question and have no clue on the new one.
Yeah, Double Dip would be more valuable, but I think TPTB didn't want to give that much away. STQ was just a little compensation for when they reduced the middle prize levels.

They do seem to throw a lot of oddball questions into the $50K slot to make people use up that STQ quickly. Aside from that, the STQ adds some drama to the game. Do you use it on a question that you have a hunch on, when you don't know if the next one will be a "Lyn Payne" question or leave you totally clueless? :wink:

Shade

#7 Post by Shade » Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:41 am

Yes! It's already catching on :D :P

True, people usually use it on the 50K question. If they have a good hunch they should just go with it and remember, it's a free guess. Switch the Question is like 50:50 (except it doesn't even increase you chances of guessing the right answer), there's a 50% chance the 50:50 will be utterly useless and a 50% chance it will be immensly helpful. Switch the Question, there is a 50% chance you'll get a new question that you have no clue on and 50% chance you'll get a Lyn Payne question :)

earendel

#8 Post by earendel » Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:55 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Brian Cervantez
Ft. Worth, TX
History professor
I root for teachers on general principles.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Brian is most definitely from Ft. Worth, not Dallas. "Life is too short to live in Dallas." Ft. Worth is the place to be.
I'll be interested to see if our Texas contingent has any comment about this.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$500 - The EPA commonly advises, "Don't top off" to encourage conservation during what activity?

A - showering
B - running an air conditioner
C - pumping gas
D - barbecuing
I'm not sure that the reason for this is conservation - I believe it's to prevent gasoline fumes from getting into the air and contributing to pollution.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$2K - The HBO series "Extras" chornicles the struggles of people pursuing careers in what field?

A - journalism
B - interior design
C - acting
D - advertising
How about "E - newsboys"? :lol:
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$16K - A 98-pound weakling weighs about how many kilograms?

A - 24
B - 44
C - 124
D - 204

That's a shame. A kilogram is 2.205 pounds, meaning that a simple math computation points to B as the right answer. Of course if you do the equation backward (as I think Brian may have done) you get the wrong answer.

Overall it's a nihil obstat® stack.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."