My Rant About Olympic "Achievement"

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Starving Chinese Child
Merry Man

#101 Post by Starving Chinese Child » Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:28 pm

littlebeast13 wrote:
13 year old gymnast wrote:
dimmzy wrote: But it wasn't one of "27 outs." We were doing GREAT! If he had done an "average" routine, that would have been the 2 points that would have brought us into silver medal position. THEN, the next performer might have done a LITTLE better too (clearly he was a little unnerved). We could have won the silver.

ANYHOW, thank you for your participation.

--dimmzy, who will now join a Gymnastics message bored to rant with 12-year-olds who will probably call me a "meanie" :wink:
Meanie!

You any relation to Starving_Chinese_Child? I think Sally Struthers is looking for you...

lb13
No relation. Since 13 year old gymnast can focus international attention on herself and our country, even if we were related, the officials would change that, just like they changed her birth certificate.

Hey, you gonna finish those fries?
Maybe I can eat from the refuse of the Olympic visitors.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#102 Post by Beebs52 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:54 pm

dimmzy wrote:
I really would be interested in hearing what degree of public castigation would have made her happy. Shunned? Flogged? Excommunicated? Disowned by his parents? Laughed at by small children? His dog refusing to walk with him in public? Just what? And how much of it?
Here's what I wanted to hear:

NBC: Joe (to Joe Hagerty, who STEPPED OUT OF BOUNDS twice):

"Joe, you are usually a clutch perfomer and yet you made a rookie mistake. Was it nerves or a loss of concentration?"

JOE: "The team needed me and I let them down."

NBC to KEVIN: "You're the team captain and a coach yourself who everyday works with youngsters on how to deal with nerves in competition. What happened? If you had performed just an average routine, you could have kept within distance of the Japanese."

KEVIN: "I know. I tell my team every day to not let rookie mistakes keep them from performing at our best. Yet I know I probably cost our team a silver medal because if I had performed as I know I could have, the momentum probably would have helped Raj and Sasha tremendously and we were very close. I am grateful that my mistake didn't cost us the bronze and I am determined to not let stupid mistakes hurt us in the future."

That's all. He may have been thinking that, but too bad NBC didn't question him on it ...
It seems you missed the US girls, two of them, who stepped wildly out of bounds the other day. It was obvious that it was a huge plop of poop, but dwelling on it would have made either the announcers or the audience idiots for overtly recognizing it more than they did.

I agree with DK; how one deals with victory is much more revealing.
Well, then

dimmzy

#103 Post by dimmzy » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:05 pm

It seems you missed the US girls, two of them, who stepped wildly out of bounds the other day. It was obvious that it was a huge plop of poop, but dwelling on it would have made either the announcers or the audience idiots for overtly recognizing it more than they did.
The issue is how you perform in the bottom of the ninth when the bases are loaded.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#104 Post by Beebs52 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:40 pm

dimmzy wrote:
The issue is how you perform in the bottom of the ninth when the bases are loaded.
So far they're doing quite swimmingly. And the Chinese girlies aren't on the balance beam.

I wish I had not posted this.
Well, then

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#105 Post by SportsFan68 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:57 pm

tlynn78 wrote:
When I get a magic wand, that's the first thing I'll do -- stop the cheating in sports.

Then will you shrink my butt?

t.
LOL!!

Heck yes!!!
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#106 Post by ulysses5019 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:45 am

tlynn78 wrote:
When I get a magic wand, that's the first thing I'll do -- stop the cheating in sports.

Then will you shrink my butt?

t.

And is there a reverse button?
I believe in the usefulness of useless information.

Evil Squirrel
Merry Man

#107 Post by Evil Squirrel » Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:25 pm

Spoiler
Squirrels are the architects of forests, the planters of trees, nature's own acrobats and show a zest for life that can inspire us. Every day should be National Squirrel Appreciation Day!

--squirrelmama (10/3/07)

Many of these (squirrel) migrations were probably caused by food shortages as well as habitat overcrowding. We solved that for them. We not only reduced their habitat, we reduced the whole species by about 90%. The least we can do now is share a little birdseed with them.

--Richard E. Mallery

2008 Squirrel of the Year Award winner

Here's Fanny!
Peekaboo!

#108 Post by Here's Fanny! » Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:47 pm

Dear Evil Squirrel,

The only things lacking to achieve perfection are 17 haphazardly placed hair clips and some face glitter on the downed and humiliated one.

Baby dragons are cute!
Spoiler
I'm darned good and ready.