An obit.

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
marrymeflyfree

An obit.

#1 Post by marrymeflyfree » Sat Nov 03, 2007 3:35 pm

Gidget S., 20(!) year old dachshund from east Tennessee, was laid to rest last week in a non-denominational non-ceremony attended by treat-givers and veterinary assistants.

Her long life was not always easy. Born into a puppy farm, she wasn't pretty enough to sell - but healthy enough to make babies. And make babies she did, mothering 9 large litters. In those days, she was rarely let out of her kennel. By the end of her time there, she was very skittish of people and could barely walk. Her evil owner nearly had her put down, but chose to save money on the vet fee and give her away instead - with the demand that she be spayed first. A humane gesture? No. He didn't want anyone else to profit from a free dog.

She spent the last 8 years of her life with an old man, my uncle, who is developmentally disabled. He had lived with my parents for about a year and had fallen in love with their dachshund. When he was able to live on his own again, mom found Gidget. She was old and slow, too. A perfect match. We all thought she might live another year or two at most - but being in the good care of my uncle, and out of the evil kennel, she had a re-birth. She found some spunk, and was soon running and playing and even jumping on the furniture! My uncle was very attached to her, and she to him.

In the end, she was blind, mostly deaf, and even the best vet care couldn't salvage her teeth. She was put to sleep last week. Mom cried. My uncle, dealing in his own way, simply said, "Well. She wasn't fun anymore anyway."

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#2 Post by kayrharris » Sat Nov 03, 2007 3:43 pm

Your uncle is the voice of wisdom. Gidget wasn't fun anymore and is now much happier. May she rest in peace.

Sounds like she was a great companion to everyone she knew.

MarleysGh0st

#3 Post by MarleysGh0st » Sat Nov 03, 2007 3:45 pm

RIP Gidget.

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#4 Post by silvercamaro » Sat Nov 03, 2007 3:53 pm

I happen to know some wonderful dogs in Heaven. They will show Gidget around, and all of them will have a good time together.

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#5 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Sat Nov 03, 2007 6:08 pm

I am glad that Gidget was able to escape the puppy mill and have a nice life with your uncle.

cindy.wellman
LOLOLOL

#6 Post by cindy.wellman » Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:09 pm

I was so sad when I read the beginning of your message. Animals are such a large part of my life, that cruelty to them not only angers me, but makes me feel sad and hurts my heart.

It is blessing that such a wonderful person as your Uncle came along to provide the care and love that she needed and deserved. I'm sorry that she is gone.

themanintheseersuckersuit

#7 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:06 am

subhead: Gidget achieves canine greatness, she loved and was loved.
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

peacock2121

#8 Post by peacock2121 » Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:13 am

That is one of the sweetest obit I have ever read. I know Gidget from your telling of her life.

Thank you for sharing that with us.