What famous fictional landmark is across from BAM studio?

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
frogman042
Bored Pun-dit

What famous fictional landmark is across from BAM studio?

#1 Post by frogman042 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:31 am

I'm watching this classic movie the other day and the address of the title location is given as 51 West 67th street in NYC - which is directly across the street from the studio where they tape Who Wants To Be A Millionaire.

So who knows which multiple Acadamy Award winning film this is?

For another hint:
Spoiler
It won best picture and is in the IMDB list of top 250 films
---Jay (For a specific number X: In Psalm number X in the King James Version of the Bible, the Xth word from the beginning is "shake" and the Xth word from the end is "spear"; at the time of publication of the King James Bible, playwright William Shakespeare was X years old - if you can find what X is you will know the number of days to my expected air date)

mellytu74

#2 Post by mellytu74 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:38 am

Jay --

Would that by any chance be CC "Bud" Baxter's apartment in The Apartment?

We have a strong difference of opinion on the movie at our house. I love it and Boonie can't stand it.

I also appreciate its influence on the AMC show Mad Men.

Adding stuff 'cause I feel like it :)

Boonie says the movie depresses him. He gets very upset with the way Fred MacMurray treats Shirley MacLaine. I tell him
Spoiler
It sets up the redemption of Jack Lemmon and Shirley MacLaine as damaged people who have found each other and love.
He says it still depresses him.

Also, the influence on Mad Men. The beauty of the show is it shows the US at a sea change in its history through the characters -- good and bad.

AND a shout out for the second time to Ferrante and Teicher and the theme song.

MarleysGh0st

#3 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:56 am

Even reading your hints and Melly's answer doesn't ring a bell for me.

IIRC, last year's "Bee Movie" took place on 67th St., not far from the ABC studios.

A couple seasons ago, SyndieBAM had a question about one of those modern artists who made an artpiece out of a urinal. I was googling this answer and discovered the studio where he created this piece was the very same address as the ABC studios! :P

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#4 Post by SportsFan68 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:07 am

I'm with Boonie.

Shirley MacLaine is a great actress. I still remember the look on her face when MacMurray's character gives her money instead of a Christmas present.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

frogman042
Bored Pun-dit

#5 Post by frogman042 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:04 am

mellytu74 wrote:Jay --

Would that by any chance be CC "Bud" Baxter's apartment in The Apartment?

We have a strong difference of opinion on the movie at our house. I love it and Boonie can't stand it.

I also appreciate its influence on the AMC show Mad Men.

Adding stuff 'cause I feel like it :)

Boonie says the movie depresses him. He gets very upset with the way Fred MacMurray treats Shirley MacLaine. I tell him
Spoiler
It sets up the redemption of Jack Lemmon and Shirley MacLaine as damaged people who have found each other and love.
He says it still depresses him.

Also, the influence on Mad Men. The beauty of the show is it shows the US at a sea change in its history through the characters -- good and bad.

AND a shout out for the second time to Ferrante and Teicher and the theme song.
You got it, buddy boy!

When I first saw it many years ago, I had heard how great it was, I was somewhat disappointed in it, since it didn't live up to the hype, in my mind. After seeing it a number of times and aging a tad, I've grown to appreciate it more and more, and now I really think its terrific (the same thing happened with another Wilder picture, Sunset Blvd. as well - I wasn't ready for the complexities when I first saw it). All the characters are much deeper then their external characterizations would seem to be - and the major performances by Lemmon, MacLaine and MacMurray are simply outstanding. Fred MacMurray was probably one the most underatted truly talented actors of his time. I think because he made it look so easy and he is mostly remembered for My Three Sons and the Disney fluff movies - but then you see his performances in Double Indemnity, The Caine Mutiny and of course, The Apartment - and you soon realize for someone who I think is physically unassuming, played every role perfectly - light comedy and a really great heavy.

---Jay (If you know how old Fred MacMurray turned the year the Caine Mutiny was released - you'll know my anticipated number of days to the airing of my appearence in the Hot Seat)

silverscreenselect

#6 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:50 am

MacMurray wasn't the original choice for The Apartment. Paul Douglas had been cast but died just before filming started and Billy Wilder approached MacMurray personally and asked him to take the role. Since MacMurray had already started his Disney/My Three Sons era, he was reluctant to risk his status but did so for Wilder.

MacMurray, like Ralph Fiennes, is one of those actors who is better in villainous or flawed roles than as a traditional hero, and I think the reason is that they project an image of weakness or, more accurately, lightness onscreen. MacMurray was able to hide this in light fluff comedy where the leading man doesn't have to be powerful. But his best dramatic roles are not ones in which he is actively malevolent, but in which he winds up going with the flow because it's easier to do so than to take a principled stand.

And another trivia detail about MacMurray, Erle Stanley Gardner orignally wanted him to play Perry Mason on TV based on his reputation alone, because Gardner had never actually seen one of MacMurray's films.

MarleysGh0st

#7 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:00 am

frogman042 wrote: You got it, buddy boy!
FYI, melly's not a boy! :wink:

danielh41

#8 Post by danielh41 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:01 am

silverscreenselect wrote:MacMurray wasn't the original choice for The Apartment. Paul Douglas had been cast but died just before filming started and Billy Wilder approached MacMurray personally and asked him to take the role. Since MacMurray had already started his Disney/My Three Sons era, he was reluctant to risk his status but did so for Wilder.

MacMurray, like Ralph Fiennes, is one of those actors who is better in villainous or flawed roles than as a traditional hero, and I think the reason is that they project an image of weakness or, more accurately, lightness onscreen. MacMurray was able to hide this in light fluff comedy where the leading man doesn't have to be powerful. But his best dramatic roles are not ones in which he is actively malevolent, but in which he winds up going with the flow because it's easier to do so than to take a principled stand.

And another trivia detail about MacMurray, Erle Stanley Gardner orignally wanted him to play Perry Mason on TV based on his reputation alone, because Gardner had never actually seen one of MacMurray's films.
One of my favorite movies of all time is Double Indemnity, another Fred MacMurray/Billy Wilder collaboration. MacMurry is just great as Walter Neff, a weak guy who gets sucked into evildoing by Barbara Stanwyck. (But as good as the two leads are, it is Edward G. Robinson who really steals every scene he's in.) I'm pretty sure that it was MacMurray's performance as Neff that prompted Wilder to turn to him for The Apartment.

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#9 Post by ulysses5019 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:02 am

And right around the corner from the studio on Central Park West is the building where Sigourney Weaver lived in Ghostbusters. They have since cleaned up the mess Ghoser(sp?) and the marshmallow dude left.
I believe in the usefulness of useless information.

MarleysGh0st

#10 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:06 am

ulysses5019 wrote:And right around the corner from the studio on Central Park West is the building where Sigourney Weaver lived in Ghostbusters. They have since cleaned up the mess Ghoser(sp?) and the marshmallow dude left.
Right around the corner?

No wonder I'm always being drawn back to that neighborhood! :twisted:

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#11 Post by ulysses5019 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:08 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
ulysses5019 wrote:And right around the corner from the studio on Central Park West is the building where Sigourney Weaver lived in Ghostbusters. They have since cleaned up the mess Ghoser(sp?) and the marshmallow dude left.
Right around the corner?

No wonder I'm always being drawn back to that neighborhood! :twisted:
So that's your excuse. LOL.
I believe in the usefulness of useless information.

Bob Juch

#12 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:11 am

The address is 55 Central Park West.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

mellytu74

#13 Post by mellytu74 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:43 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
frogman042 wrote: You got it, buddy boy!
FYI, melly's not a boy! :wink:
Whenever I see Ray Walston in anything, I keep waiting for the moment when he calls someone "buddy boy" because of the way he addresses Jack Lemmon throughout the movie.

mellytu74

#14 Post by mellytu74 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:03 am

danielh41 wrote:
silverscreenselect wrote:MacMurray wasn't the original choice for The Apartment. Paul Douglas had been cast but died just before filming started and Billy Wilder approached MacMurray personally and asked him to take the role. Since MacMurray had already started his Disney/My Three Sons era, he was reluctant to risk his status but did so for Wilder.

One of my favorite movies of all time is Double Indemnity, another Fred MacMurray/Billy Wilder collaboration. MacMurry is just great as Walter Neff, a weak guy who gets sucked into evildoing by Barbara Stanwyck. (But as good as the two leads are, it is Edward G. Robinson who really steals every scene he's in.) I'm pretty sure that it was MacMurray's performance as Neff that prompted Wilder to turn to him for The Apartment.
I didn't know that about Paul Douglas, sss. Very interesting. Thinking of Douglas in A Letter to Three Wives or Executive Suite, I can see that.

I read a story years ago about how MacMurray met a woman who had taken her children to see The Apartment because of MacMurray's My Three Sons/Disney performances.

She was, of course, exceedingly upset. According to the article, MacMurray said it was one of the reasons he never played a "bad guy" again.

Boonie met Fred MacMurray years ago.

His first job with the phone company, Boonie collected money from pay phones. He was at a Center City hotel. MacMurray, who was in town for an appearance for The Mike Douglas Show, was in the lobby.

They struck up a conversation. Boonie said he was a very nice guy.

I loved Edward G. Robinson in Double Indemnity. In addition to the speech where he talks about how unlikely it was that Stanwyck's husband committed suicide, I love this:

"I picked you for the job, not because I think you're so darn smart, but because I thought you were a shade less dumb than the rest of the outfit. Guess I was wrong. You're not smarter, Walter... you're just a little taller."

The camera angles between the 5-5 Robinson and the 6-3 MacMurray really add to it.

mellytu74

#15 Post by mellytu74 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:06 am

SportsFan68 wrote:I'm with Boonie.

Shirley MacLaine is a great actress. I still remember the look on her face when MacMurray's character gives her money instead of a Christmas present.
Amazing look.

I also love the look she gives Jack Lemmon at the end.

The "shut up and deal" look, where she realizes that she's in love with a schnook but he adores her and, even though neither of them have jobs, at least he won't be a crumb who throws money at her.

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#16 Post by T_Bone0806 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:48 pm

OK, so who knows the name of the musical based on "The Apartment"?
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#17 Post by silvercamaro » Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:52 pm

T_Bone0806 wrote:OK, so who knows the name of the musical based on "The Apartment"?
Promises, Promises.
Now generating the White Hot Glare of Righteousness on behalf of BBs everywhere.

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#18 Post by T_Bone0806 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:02 pm

silvercamaro wrote:
T_Bone0806 wrote:OK, so who knows the name of the musical based on "The Apartment"?
Promises, Promises.
You got it, Dudette!

I had a small part in a summer production of Promises Promises. I played Carl Kubelik, the Polish Cab Driving brother (yes, an Italian playing Polish..so much for typecasting!) of the female lead. It was a small part, but I did get to punch out the male lead. The guy who played that part is now a reporter for a local TV station. Every time I see him doing a story or an occasional anchor fill-in, my first thought is always "Hey, I punched that guy out!!"
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#19 Post by T_Bone0806 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:05 pm

Songs were by Bacharach & David. Title track and "I'll Never Fall in Love Again" ("what do you get when you kiss a guy, you get enough germs to catch pneumonia..."") are the only ones I can remember.
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

frogman042
Bored Pun-dit

#20 Post by frogman042 » Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:40 am

Which reminds of this question:

Who directed the movie that the original musical Sweet Charity is based on?

---Jay (If you know the number of revolutions per minute on most singles, you also know the number of days to my scheduled appearance)

etaoin22
FNGD Forum Moderator

Re: What famous fictional landmark is across from BAM studio

#21 Post by etaoin22 » Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:05 am

Spoiler
I'm watching this classic movie the other day and the address of the title location is given as 51 West 67th street in NYC - which is directly across the street from the studio where they tape Who Wants To Be A Millionaire.

So who knows which multiple Acadamy Award winning film this is?

well, I didn't intend to look at the spoiler, but I did. Eliminates "Raging Bull", which I did not think it was anyway. Given a "W" in the address, I will go with fight in West side Story. I was also going to maybe guess a Jack Lemmon apartment, either Apartment or Odd Couple, but the best picture decreases that option buy 50%