Wow, 53 online tonight! eom

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
cindy.wellman
LOLOLOL

Wow, 53 online tonight! eom

#1 Post by cindy.wellman » Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:26 am

:shock:

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#2 Post by Bob78164 » Sun Nov 04, 2007 3:17 am

I wonder how many of them were real people. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

silverscreenselect

#3 Post by silverscreenselect » Sun Nov 04, 2007 3:29 am

This may be a dumb question, but who else other than a "real" person would be online.

And on another related subject, when I log on, it shows that there are so many registered users online and so many "guests." Now some of those guests might be some of us who for some reason can't or don't log in for a particular session. But I find it hard to believe our sort of chatter is something that would draw a lot of strangers to peruse the bored. (Usually the "guests" outnumber the registered users considerably).

Who are these people?

tubadave
Official Bored Breaker/Fixer

#4 Post by tubadave » Sun Nov 04, 2007 3:51 am

silverscreenselect wrote:This may be a dumb question, but who else other than a "real" person would be online.

And on another related subject, when I log on, it shows that there are so many registered users online and so many "guests." Now some of those guests might be some of us who for some reason can't or don't log in for a particular session. But I find it hard to believe our sort of chatter is something that would draw a lot of strangers to peruse the bored. (Usually the "guests" outnumber the registered users considerably).

Who are these people?

Guests are anyone or anything that accesses the front page of the Bored without being logged in as a registered user. This can (and often does, I've noticed) include web crawling bots from search engines. It seems that those bots are very good (and fast) at what they do.....I banned Google's bots almost from the start, but if you Google "WWTBAM Bored" and look at the third entry, you'll see how much good that did, lol.

One other thing about the Guest numbers...the Guest total increases temporarily every time someone logs out, since it returns you right back to the Bored after your request to log out has been processed.
"Not all chemicals are bad. Without chemicals such as hydrogen and oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer." -- Dave Barry

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#5 Post by kayrharris » Sun Nov 04, 2007 4:53 pm

I thought maybe we had a "secret room" with a party going on. A couple of times yesterday I was the only registered user online but there were about 48 "guests" here with me.

I think I may have heard Twilight Zone music in the background. :wink:

cindy.wellman
LOLOLOL

#6 Post by cindy.wellman » Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:07 pm

kayrharris wrote:I thought maybe we had a "secret room" with a party going on. A couple of times yesterday I was the only registered user online but there were about 48 "guests" here with me.

I think I may have heard Twilight Zone music in the background. :wink:
Akay,

Iway, illway endsay ouyay hetay asswordpay otay hetay ecretsay oomray!

Indycay

PS - LOL at "asswordpay"