Survivor anyone?

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Sir_Galahad

Survivor anyone?

#1 Post by Sir_Galahad » Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 am

I find it odd that there have not been any posts regarding this season's "Survivor." Has everyone tuned out? Has the show jumped the shark? I find this season's show pretty interesting. I did think it was pretty stupid when, a couple of weeks ago, they had the tribes takes two members from each other's tribes. They (TPTB) had to figure that these would have been the first members to get voted off! I didn't get that move at all.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Perhaps the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about...

peacock2121

#2 Post by peacock2121 » Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:00 am

I am still watching and enjoying. My problem is that I am always a few weeks behind. The last one I saw, is the one where they had the tribes trade the 2 members.

Anything I have to say about the show is old info and old opinions, so I just keep my mouth shut.

dimmzy

#3 Post by dimmzy » Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:29 am

Believe it or not, I'm watching Survivor this year for the FIRST TIME! Go ahead, Galahad, discuss! I'm all caught up! :)

jayhawker536

#4 Post by jayhawker536 » Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:44 am

The producers have become more involved in all the reality shows in the last few years. Last summer's Big Brother was a joke and Evel Dick can thank them for his win.

They stepped in on Survivor when the two teams became so lopsided, I don't think they had anything to do with what went on with the hidden idols, quite a coup on James' part.

James' deserves to be the Survivor, I would grumble but not howl if Frostee won, anyone else gets it - well, let's just say :cry:

dimmzy

#5 Post by dimmzy » Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:26 am

Yeah, James has common sense, so I wouldn't mind seeing him win. If you want a very interesting point of view, read the ousted contestants' interviews at fansofrealitytv ... A lot of them claim they were "mis-edited," although all have been grateful for their experience. Of course, in hindsight, they can say anything they want ...

a1mamacat

#6 Post by a1mamacat » Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:48 am

I'm enjoying this season's show much more than in the past, as there are some reallllly stuuupid people who are showing their plans way too early.

I just about wet my pants with laughter at the last tribal council. I think it was the most perfect unplanned revenge in history.

Spoiler for those who haven't seen yet.
Spoiler
I really started to dislike Jamie when she tossed that piece of puzzle a couple of weeks ago, and was so obvious with trying to lose so they could merge with equal numbers of old tribe members. To have her think she has the hidden immunity idol, and smugly present it, then have Jeff say it's interesting but not a hidden immunity idol and toss it on the fire was, IMHO, a priceless piece of "backatcha"
Lover of Soft Animals and Fine Art
1st annual international BBBL Champeeeeen!

tanstaafl2

#7 Post by tanstaafl2 » Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:32 pm

I continue to watch as I have done with every past season. The return to a more basic format seems to be a positive so far.

Clearly the producers do what they can to manipulate the outcome on occasion and the tribe switch was probably a reflection of that. It could have blown up in their face if the stronger tribe had lost and eliminated both switched members from the weaker tribe.

As it was it really did not have the effect that might have been hoped for by the producers as both tribes had the opportunity to boot one of the exchanged members and even if the weaker tribe had lost the second time they couldn't have booted James as he had the idols.

The fake idol was a nice gambit and the editing was of course manipulated to leave you wondering if Jaime had indeed completely unwrapped the idols in James' pack and made a switch. But that was unlikely and presumably James would have checked both of his to confirm he still had them before tribal and raised a stink if one had been taken. Not as though anyone was going to be able to stop him from taking it back if he had chosen to do so...

Editing manipulation has always been a major factor in the show and you would have to have never seen the show before being a contestant to not be aware of that. Anyone who went on the show who had not watched in the past would be foolish in my opinion.
Last edited by tanstaafl2 on Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
Ne Illegitimi Carborundum
Cumann na gClann Uí Thighearnaigh

MarleysGh0st

Re: Survivor anyone?

#8 Post by MarleysGh0st » Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:55 pm

Sir_Galahad wrote:I find it odd that there have not been any posts regarding this season's "Survivor." Has everyone tuned out? Has the show jumped the shark?
Yeah, although I've lapsed in past seasons, I've been successful in avoidin the show this season--even though others have questioned some of my alternative viewing options. :wink:

And one huge thing I don't like about Survivor is how TPTB can change the rules at will. If they figure they need to tweak them from one series to the next, they should be required to announce the changes--and stick to that--before the next series begins taping.

starfish1113

#9 Post by starfish1113 » Sun Nov 04, 2007 4:17 pm

I'm watching this year and enjoying it much more than some of the more recent versions.

Like everybody else, I'm rooting for James, but I really wouldn't mind anybody other than Jean Robert and the members of the tribe that is being decimated.

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#10 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:12 pm

Jeff has been watching the show, but I haven't.

jaybee

#11 Post by jaybee » Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:31 pm

I've watched them all except the first one, but haven't seen any of this season in China. Busy work schedule cut down on my TV time, one of my (as yet unnamed) children deleted the Tivo and haven't felt like jumping in in the middle.
Jaybee

fuzzywuzzy

#12 Post by fuzzywuzzy » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:18 am

jayhawker536 wrote:
James' deserves to be the Survivor, I would grumble but not howl if Frostee won, anyone else gets it - well, let's just say :cry:
I agree with jayhawker...James should be the ultimate survivor, but, who knows with this crew. Tribal councils have been great...but, this last week's was AWESOME! How about your jayhawks anita? Woo hoo!

Loved when Jamie played her "immunity idol"! :lol:

But, loved it even more when Jeff threw Jamie's idol in the fire, since it was worthless! ROTFLMAO!

fuzzy 8)
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it."
— Mark Twain

"Be a first rate version of yourself, not a second rate version of someone else."
- Judy Garland

takinover

#13 Post by takinover » Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:09 am

I still watch.

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#14 Post by ulysses5019 » Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:26 am

I like to watch......
I believe in the usefulness of useless information.

andrewjackson

#15 Post by andrewjackson » Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:01 am

I've been watching.
Spoiler
I thought the plan to throw challenges was interesting although it would it would not have worked because of the immunity idol. I'll give them credit for coming up with an alternative strategy rather than just trying the same old stuff.

Pretty bizarre last night, though, that they thought James might stick with them on the vote. They pretty much openly said that their strategy was to throw a challenge and get rid of James a couple of tribal councils ago. Why in the world did they think that James might vote with them this time?

The best part of the tribal council was the reaction by Jean Robert. He had to think that he was gone, gone, gone when Jamie pulled that wooden square out of her bag. And then to have Jeff throw it in the fire? Wow! He gave a big gasp but I would have been jumping up and down.
No matter where you go, there you are.