Deepest Apoligies to Bored PTB

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
christie1111
11:11

Deepest Apoligies to Bored PTB

#1 Post by christie1111 » Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:15 pm

Especially Tubadave. Thank you ever so much for taking the time to get me back here.

Without you guys we would not have this terrific new home. I should not have been so grumpy about not being able to get back here temporarily.

I am sorry that I was feeling sorry for myself. If I have any feeble defense it is how much I miss you guys when I can't come talk to you.

I had been at daughter1111's marching band fundraiser for 10 hours volunteering with the food. Son and Husband1111 were at the UConn footballl game. I came home, thought how nice it would be to see what you guys were up to. I turned the computer on and made myself a cocktail, came back to log in and was once again not able to get in.

Thank you for making sure I could come back and connect with you all. And thanks to you BB's who emailed and PM'ed and posted that you did care.

[Sally Fields] You like me, you really like me. [/Sally Fields]

[/b]
"A bed without a quilt is like the sky without stars"

PlacentiaSoccerMom

Re: Deepest Apoligies to Bored PTB

#2 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:09 pm

christie1111 wrote: I had been at daughter1111's marching band fundraiser for 10 hours volunteering with the food.
That's a long time to be volunteerin. [Shudder]

I am glad that you made it back here!

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#3 Post by kayrharris » Sun Nov 04, 2007 2:05 pm

No need to apologize. We like being missed. Glad you made it back. :)

MarleysGh0st

#4 Post by MarleysGh0st » Sun Nov 04, 2007 2:13 pm

So it's working for you again? I'm glad! :)

Bob Juch

#5 Post by Bob Juch » Sun Nov 04, 2007 4:33 pm

So what was the problem?

tubadave
Official Bored Breaker/Fixer

#6 Post by tubadave » Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:26 pm

First of all:

Christie, apologies are far from necessary. I'm sorry I couldn't get it taken care of any sooner...between being out of town for a while, my work schedule being all over the place lately (for example, I normally work 6:30am-3:00pm, but I'm working 2:30pm-11:00pm tonight and tomorrow night) and fighting off getting sick the last several days, I've been all kinds of distracted. In any case, I'm glad you're back on now.
Bob Juch wrote:So what was the problem?
There were several security changes I made last week, but there were two in particular that were rather complex: one that blocks registrations from anyone using an open proxy (it's working great, btw) and one that blocks anyone from accessing the site at all if their IP address is masked or otherwise hidden. I hadn't intended to set up filters for general access to the site, just to block registrations from anonymous or undesirable sources.

When I realized that the second one was screening everyone who comes to the site, and not just new registrations, I decided to disable it. But, it was rather involved adding it to the code that runs the Bored, and I realized taking it out would be even more complicated (and I'd run the risk of screwing up and crashing the whole thing for everyone.) It gave you the option of entering IP addresses that it would ignore, and so I told it to ignore every possible IP address, effectively disabling it.

I may be able to reinstate it at some point, but that's more trouble than I want to deal with at the moment.

That's probably also far more detailed of an answer than you were looking for, Bob, but there it is. :D
"Not all chemicals are bad. Without chemicals such as hydrogen and oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer." -- Dave Barry

Bob Juch

#7 Post by Bob Juch » Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:36 pm

tubadave wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:So what was the problem?
There were several security changes I made last week, but there were two in particular that were rather complex: one that blocks registrations from anyone using an open proxy (it's working great, btw) and one that blocks anyone from accessing the site at all if their IP address is masked or otherwise hidden. I hadn't intended to set up filters for general access to the site, just to block registrations from anonymous or undesirable sources.

When I realized that the second one was screening everyone who comes to the site, and not just new registrations, I decided to disable it. But, it was rather involved adding it to the code that runs the Bored, and I realized taking it out would be even more complicated (and I'd run the risk of screwing up and crashing the whole thing for everyone.) It gave you the option of entering IP addresses that it would ignore, and so I told it to ignore every possible IP address, effectively disabling it.

I may be able to reinstate it at some point, but that's more trouble than I want to deal with at the moment.

That's probably also far more detailed of an answer than you were looking for, Bob, but there it is. :D
Nope, that's what I was looking for. :)

mellytu74

#8 Post by mellytu74 » Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:57 pm

I am SO glad you are back.

We would have missed you somethin' awful, ya know, if you couldn't get back for good.

:cry: