obscure trivia question

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Odyssey
Flower Girl

obscure trivia question

#1 Post by Odyssey » Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:43 pm

I just got back from the Morrissey (of The Smith's fame) concert and it was great! It also made me think of a fun trivia question for all of you, since I have been the recipient of many of your trivia games. So, Odyssey asks:
Morrissey is known for wielding gladioli on stage, in honor of a famous person whose favorite flower was the gladiola. Who?

If no one has a guess by tomorrow, I will add some clues.
Odyssey

Ritterskoop

Re: obscure trivia question

#2 Post by Ritterskoop » Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:48 pm

Odyssey wrote:I just got back from the Morrissey (of The Smith's fame) concert and it was great! It also made me think of a fun trivia question for all of you, since I have been the recipient of many of your trivia games. So, Odyssey asks:
Morrissey is known for wielding gladioli on stage, in honor of a famous person whose favorite flower was the gladiola. Who?

If no one has a guess by tomorrow, I will add some clues.
I have two guesses, one with some sense it could be right but it may not fit your clue ("was" implies they are no longer with us), and the other is only intuity.

The one I think is right is Dame Edna, who chirps about them a good bit, or did on the shows I saw years ago.

The one it is just intuity is Sherlock Holmes.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

wintergreen48

#3 Post by wintergreen48 » Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:49 am

I think it is in honor of Oscar Wilde rather than Dame Edna. Morrissey likes Wilde, don't know if he cares particularly about Dame Edna.

marrymeflyfree

#4 Post by marrymeflyfree » Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:51 am

wintergreen48 wrote:I think it is in honor of Oscar Wilde rather than Dame Edna. Morrissey likes Wilde, don't know if he cares particularly about Dame Edna.
Wintergreen is right. :D

Odyssey
Flower Girl

#5 Post by Odyssey » Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:44 am

Yup, Wintergreen is right, given the context of the question and the past tense. Dame Edna also likes the gladioli though. Thanks for playing!
Odyssey

Odyssey
Flower Girl

#6 Post by Odyssey » Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:46 am

marrymeflyfree wrote:
wintergreen48 wrote:I think it is in honor of Oscar Wilde rather than Dame Edna. Morrissey likes Wilde, don't know if he cares particularly about Dame Edna.
Wintergreen is right. :D
Marryme, I have to mention that at one point last night Morrissey went into a sustained pose that very much resembles your avatar!
Odyssey

traininvain

Re: obscure trivia question

#7 Post by traininvain » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:01 am

Odyssey wrote:I just got back from the Morrissey (of The Smith's fame) concert and it was great!
I went to see him two weeks ago, his first night show at the Hammerstein Ballroom in NYC. He was fantastic, his voice was great and his band really rocked! I'll ASSume that you had a good time at the show.
Enjoy every sandwich

Odyssey
Flower Girl

#8 Post by Odyssey » Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:14 am

Yes, he was fantastic and it was a smaller venue, which was fantastic. He sounds just the same and the band was amazing. In the 7 years I have lived in SC, this was the first concert in Greenville I've gone to. I usually have to go to Atlanta for my type of music.

Next up, The Cure in April in Atlanta. They were supposed to be there in Sept., but cancelled a week before with some story about not being ready.
Odyssey

themanintheseersuckersuit

#9 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:20 am

Odyssey wrote:. In the 7 years I have lived in SC, this was the first concert in Greenville I've gone to. .
First Sir G moved here and now we have Odyssey, South Carolina is almost over represented on the bored.
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

Odyssey
Flower Girl

#10 Post by Odyssey » Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:44 am

Uh-oh, could be dangerous with our history of secession.
Odyssey

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#11 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:01 pm

Odyssey wrote: Next up, The Cure in April in Atlanta. They were supposed to be there in Sept., but cancelled a week before with some story about not being ready.

I saw the Cure in 1991 and it was a great concert.

The kids didn't appreciate the group until they saw Robert Smith punch the Diamond of Pantheos out of Barbra Steisand's nose.

Odyssey
Flower Girl

#12 Post by Odyssey » Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:12 pm

Ah yes, that would be Robert Smithera! My favorite SP episode.

I last saw The Cure in the late '80's in college. Love them!
PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote:
Odyssey wrote: Next up, The Cure in April in Atlanta. They were supposed to be there in Sept., but cancelled a week before with some story about not being ready.

I saw the Cure in 1991 and it was a great concert.

The kids didn't appreciate the group until they saw Robert Smith punch the Diamond of Pantheos out of Barbra Steisand's nose.
Odyssey

marrymeflyfree

#13 Post by marrymeflyfree » Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:06 pm

Odyssey wrote:Marryme, I have to mention that at one point last night Morrissey went into a sustained pose that very much resembles your avatar!
Balanced on his head and everything?? :D

Odyssey
Flower Girl

#14 Post by Odyssey » Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:24 pm

Except that the stage was behind his back and his knees were in the air!
marrymeflyfree wrote:
Odyssey wrote:Marryme, I have to mention that at one point last night Morrissey went into a sustained pose that very much resembles your avatar!
Balanced on his head and everything?? :D
Odyssey

andrewjackson

#15 Post by andrewjackson » Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:19 pm

Speaking of Morrissey, he is a fan of Chivas USA, the Mexican owned soccer team in MLS.

Here he is at the game with David Beckham playing for the LA Galaxy but wearing a Chivas jersey.

No matter where you go, there you are.