Amazing Race stuff

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
mrkelley23

Amazing Race stuff

#1 Post by mrkelley23 » Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:39 am

Maybe the producers wanted it this way, and I have to admit we've only been watching it for the past 4 races (we Netflixed 1, 2, and 7 in addition) but have there ever been 11 teams with so few to root for?
Spoiler
I may be being manipulated by editing, but I almost wish Ari and Staella would've stuck around, and they would've been one of my least favorites in any other year. I don't mind incompetence (grandpa/grandson; older dad/daughter) or even a little bit of whining, but I heard almost nothing but! And the whiniest of them all lets, what, 7 teams pass them before finally trying to PUSH the donkey?

I love the beautiful scenery of Ireland (and cracked up at the fact that it was raining, again), but I may have to watch this series with the sound down.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

peacock2121

#2 Post by peacock2121 » Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:19 am

I loved Christina's comment "Donkeys have souls too!" I was very glad they didn't get it until it was too late. If I have to loisten to Ari for another episode, I would be annoyed.

I do like that he thinks Karma bit him in the butt.

I am interested in the relationship between Christina and her dad. He has some making up to do - he obviously loves her. Not to sure they will make it far in the race, they will however, really get to know and love one another deeply.

I hope that the goth couple can stop being called the freaks. That is just not nice.

Nathan and Jennifer can go next, please.

The grandson and granddad could be interesting and I fear they will not be around long enough to be that.

earendel

Re: Amazing Race stuff

#3 Post by earendel » Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:21 am

mrkelley23 wrote:Maybe the producers wanted it this way, and I have to admit we've only been watching it for the past 4 races (we Netflixed 1, 2, and 7 in addition) but have there ever been 11 teams with so few to root for?
elwing noticed that there were no traditional married couples in this group - and only one married couple at all, the lesbian ministers.

I would second your statement - the Goth couple from Louisville gives the show a local flavor, and the two family couples (grandfather/grandson and father/daughter) seem nice enough so far. The show certainly has more than it's share of hotties this time around - the blondes and the Latina sisters, but I tend to root against them on general principle.
Spoiler
I was hoping that Nathan and Jennifer would be eliminated, considering all the whining and complaining they did about the donkey. But I'm not sad to see Ari and Staella go, considering the whole karma comment and the stealing of the taxi.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

peacock2121

#4 Post by peacock2121 » Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:47 am

Is there a reason you are still using spoiler stuff. Am I breaking some unwritten rule by not?

Sir_Galahad

#5 Post by Sir_Galahad » Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:51 am

As we were listening to the introductions, we noticed no less than 5 of the teams are from California. Whatsamatta? Can't find enough "oddball" couples from around the country? Too boring? Too traditional? Sad.

What I enjoy watching are the Beauty-Queen type teams that are "humbled." I enjoyed watching last years "Beauty Queens" as I thought they were terrific competitors and not your stereotypical dumb blondes as this years team seems to be. It will be interesting to see if there is any transformation with that team this year. I think the team of Marianna & Julia could be interesting to watch (as competitors, mind you).

The goth team could be fun to watch as well. I am waiting for the challenges that cause them to lose the face makeup.

I enjoy watching the parent-child teams but I don't see any strong competitors in this year's field.

I also enjoy watching "fit" middle-agers but I don't see anything of that ilk this year.

You can pretty much predict who is going to get eliminated early and who the top three or four teams will be. There may be a surprise or two and it should be worth watching. Regardless of the outcome, this remains one of my favorite shows. Wish I could have been there to participate.

<sigh>
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Perhaps the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about...

earendel

#6 Post by earendel » Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:59 am

peacock2121 wrote:I am interested in the relationship between Christina and her dad. He has some making up to do - he obviously loves her. Not to sure they will make it far in the race, they will however, really get to know and love one another deeply.
The preview of next week's show certainly showed a certain tension between the two of them.
peacock2121 wrote:I hope that the goth couple can stop being called the freaks. That is just not nice.
No, but it's par for the course - every team gets a nickname provided by one or more of the other teams ("the blondies", for instance).
peacock2121 wrote:Nathan and Jennifer can go next, please.
Agreed.
peacock2121 wrote:The grandson and granddad could be interesting and I fear they will not be around long enough to be that.
Probably not - more often than not the "sentimental" favorites get washed out early on - and the old people seem to get weeded out fairly early as well (there are exceptions).

earendel

#7 Post by earendel » Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:00 am

peacock2121 wrote:Is there a reason you are still using spoiler stuff. Am I breaking some unwritten rule by not?
I dunno - I suppose since the show's been aired there's no reason to continue the spoiler.

earendel

#8 Post by earendel » Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:00 am

Sir_Galahad wrote:You can pretty much predict who is going to get eliminated early and who the top three or four teams will be. There may be a surprise or two and it should be worth watching. Regardless of the outcome, this remains one of my favorite shows. Wish I could have been there to participate.

<sigh>
So what are your predictions, Sir_G?

Sir_Galahad

#9 Post by Sir_Galahad » Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:51 am

earendel wrote:
Sir_Galahad wrote:You can pretty much predict who is going to get eliminated early and who the top three or four teams will be. There may be a surprise or two and it should be worth watching. Regardless of the outcome, this remains one of my favorite shows. Wish I could have been there to participate.

<sigh>
So what are your predictions, Sir_G?
I predict the final three will be among: The Goth Team, Azaria & Hendekia, Jennifer & Nathan or Lorena & Jason. I wish I could nominate on one of teams with a middle-ager but I don't see any of the caliber of The Bowling Moms, Jon & Al (the clowns) or Teri and Ian.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Perhaps the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about...

MarleysGh0st

#10 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:06 am

So who's an expert on donkey behavior on the Bored? Did that one just go on strike because of all the yelling?

I want to go on that bicycle ride! Who's with me? :)

kusch

#11 Post by kusch » Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:18 am

I am cheering for the brother/sister from New Orleans.

I am very happy that Ari is gone.

First impression is a no on the Goth's, but I would imagine they will work well together as they appear to be on the same page at all times.

I see the married clergy gone early--weak physically is my impression which could cost them during a road block.

I like the eye candy this season. :lol:

Rexer25
It's all his fault. That'll be $10.

#12 Post by Rexer25 » Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:21 am

MarleysGh0st wrote: I want to go on that bicycle ride! Who's with me? :)
Let's go! I'll do the work the first time across, and then I'll be the ballast while you do the work.
Enough already. It's my fault! Get over it!

That'll be $10, please.

mrkelley23

#13 Post by mrkelley23 » Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:43 am

I just put my show-specific comments in a spoiler box because several people last week said they would be Tivo-ing it, and it always takes me a couple days to get around to watching what I've Tivoed.

I'm not a donkey expert, but rural stuff doesn't throw me for a loop as it seems to have several of the AR teams over the years. First off, any animal is unpredictable, but donkeys are perhaps the most by far. Once they set their feet in, it's nearly impossible to get them to do anything -- so I can understand the hopelessness that Nathan and Jennifer felt. There's a reason behind most sayings, and "stubborn as a mule" is definitely one of them. I'm sure they edited out lots of trying various things by them that didn't work. I'm also sure the producers would NOT let them do the one thing that would've probably worked -- whipping or striking the donkey in some way.

I'm also sure that the yelling and whining probably didn't help convince the donkey to change his mind, either. :D
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

thguy65

#14 Post by thguy65 » Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:47 am

earendel wrote:
peacock2121 wrote:
peacock2121 wrote:I hope that the goth couple can stop being called the freaks. That is just not nice.
No, but it's par for the course - every team gets a nickname provided by one or more of the other teams ("the blondies", for instance).
I'll still use spoiler notices in case someone who is time-shifting the show accidentally wanders into the thread. I know, it's their own fault, but I prefer to keep doing that for a couple of days.
Spoiler
For those familiar with "Stargate Atlantis", I would have suggested the nickname "The Wraith" for Kynt and Vyxsin.

If Ari & Stella had stuck around longer, I was prepared to call the "Jack & Karen".
Tim H.

- My other computer is Image

geoffil

#15 Post by geoffil » Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:57 am

Have you auditioned for the Amazing Race? If so, what was the audtion like?

TheCalvinator24

#16 Post by TheCalvinator24 » Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:02 am

geoffil wrote:Have you auditioned for the Amazing Race? If so, what was the audtion like?
I'm curious why this was addressed to me. I've never exhibited any interest in TAR as far as I recall. I watch a few episodes each season.

I've never auditioned. Although I have thought that if we were both in better physical shape, my best friend, Rod, & I would make a decent team
It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. —Albus Dumbledore

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#17 Post by silvercamaro » Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:08 am

TheCalvinator24 wrote:
geoffil wrote:Have you auditioned for the Amazing Race? If so, what was the audtion like?
I'm curious why this was addressed to me. I've never exhibited any interest in TAR as far as I recall. I watch a few episodes each season.
Now I'm really confused. I thought this was a general question for everyone. Why, Cal, did you think it was addressed to you in particular? I don't even find an earlier post from you in this thread.

earendel

#18 Post by earendel » Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:16 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:So who's an expert on donkey behavior on the Bored? Did that one just go on strike because of all the yelling?

I want to go on that bicycle ride! Who's with me? :)
You do the pedaling and I'll go along for the ride.

earendel

#19 Post by earendel » Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:18 am

kusch wrote:I am cheering for the brother/sister from New Orleans.

I am very happy that Ari is gone.

First impression is a no on the Goth's, but I would imagine they will work well together as they appear to be on the same page at all times.

I see the married clergy gone early--weak physically is my impression which could cost them during a road block.

I like the eye candy this season. :lol:
I agree that the Goths seem like a "sleeper" team and that the ministers will be gone soon. The engineers from New Orleans are a good couple, but I don't think they'll be in the final three.

TheCalvinator24

#20 Post by TheCalvinator24 » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:07 am

silvercamaro wrote:
TheCalvinator24 wrote:
Now I'm really confused. I thought this was a general question for everyone. Why, Cal, did you think it was addressed to you in particular? I don't even find an earlier post from you in this thread.
I swear when I first saw it, it read "Cal, Have you auditioned . . ."

Maybe I'm crazy today.

Today?
It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. —Albus Dumbledore

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#21 Post by silvercamaro » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:19 am

TheCalvinator24 wrote:
Today?
:D

Okay. That makes sense, in a nonsensical kind of way.

ladysoleil

#22 Post by ladysoleil » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:22 am

peacock2121 wrote:
I hope that the goth couple can stop being called the freaks. That is just not nice.
I doubt they're offended. I'm not making any sweeping generalities about gothic culture here but I can tell you that the word "freak" gets tossed around pretty casually at least in my experience. A lot of freaky people describe themselves as freaky and have no issue with it.

MarleysGh0st

#23 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:25 am

ladysoleil wrote:I doubt they're offended. I'm not making any sweeping generalities about gothic culture here but I can tell you that the word "freak" gets tossed around pretty casually at least in my experience. A lot of freaky people describe themselves as freaky and have no issue with it.
So how do you like Kynt and Vyxsin, ladysoleil? 8)

ladysoleil

#24 Post by ladysoleil » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:40 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
ladysoleil wrote:I doubt they're offended. I'm not making any sweeping generalities about gothic culture here but I can tell you that the word "freak" gets tossed around pretty casually at least in my experience. A lot of freaky people describe themselves as freaky and have no issue with it.
So how do you like Kynt and Vyxsin, ladysoleil? 8)
I'm not really sure that I do. Yeah, theoretically I'm all for positive portrayals of freaky subculture people in the media without part of the story involving gun violence, so they get a thumbs up from me. My mercenary little heart also says that if they do well, I might be able to slap on a little more warpaint and clanky footwear at my next WWTBAM audition and see what happens.

Realistically, I don't think I care for them much, they seem like the sort of people I wouldn't hang out with in real life which is probably coloring my opinion. I'm thinking too much makeup, too much angst, too much drama. Interestingly enough I've heard similar statements from friends putting forth that there's just something about them that's putting them off, also. It seems like they're trying too hard to be preciously freaky all the time, and I find it's somewhat contrived.

Also, their MySpace page makes me want to hurl.

tanstaafl2

#25 Post by tanstaafl2 » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:59 am

Decent start overall I thought but I also noted the absence of "traditional" married couples. Or almost any married couples at all. As noted, when the lesbian couple exit early, as seems likely, there will be none at all.

I know Ireland is regularly rainy but considering it was filmed in July and August I was surprised how cold it appeared to be. Not exactly a picture postcard for tourism...

Don't think the GF/son and Father/daughter teams look very strong but time will tell. Same with the "Blondies".

The brother/sister team from NOLA seems like thay have a chance. Rasta dude and Rachel look like they could be competitive. Maybe the hispanic sisters will be able to get some mileage out of their language skills (at least I presume they speak spanish) and challenge at the end. Although since last episode went thru S. America and it appears they are focused on Europe in the early going they may not get much chance to use that skill. Otherwise doesn't seem like much chance for an all female team to threaten this year.

The Goths are perhaps a wee bit over the top but might do OK, if they don't loose any time putting on all the makeup. Could get a bit problematic as the show progresses...

But no real favorite so far.

Staella was an unfortunate loss from a, umm, visual standpoint but I already was ready to see Ari go.
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
Ne Illegitimi Carborundum
Cumann na gClann Uí Thighearnaigh