R.I.P "The Fabulous Moolah"

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
rayxtwo

R.I.P "The Fabulous Moolah"

#1 Post by rayxtwo » Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:34 am

Posted on another message board.

"WWE is saddened by the passing of Lillian Ellison, who was known to sports-entertainment fans as Hall of Famer Fabulous Moolah. She passed away last night in Columbia, S.C.

In the world of women’s wrestling, there will always be one irrefutable legend that stands head and shoulders above the rest: The Fabulous Moolah. She was the longest reigning champion in the history of her chosen sport, or any sport for that matter. And with more than 50 years in the business to her credit, she established a legacy that will never be forgotten, making her name synonymous with female wrestling."

earendel

Re: R.I.P "The Fabulous Moolah"

#2 Post by earendel » Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:39 am

rayxtwo wrote:Posted on another message board.

"WWE is saddened by the passing of Lillian Ellison, who was known to sports-entertainment fans as Hall of Famer Fabulous Moolah. She passed away last night in Columbia, S.C.

In the world of women’s wrestling, there will always be one irrefutable legend that stands head and shoulders above the rest: The Fabulous Moolah. She was the longest reigning champion in the history of her chosen sport, or any sport for that matter. And with more than 50 years in the business to her credit, she established a legacy that will never be forgotten, making her name synonymous with female wrestling."

I just read this in our local paper. She was called "Fabulous Moolah" because it is said that when asked why she wrestled, she replied, "For the moolah."
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

Sir_Galahad

#3 Post by Sir_Galahad » Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:06 am

Sorry to hear this. I think she had wrestled as little as two or three years ago. I think I remember seeing her at a WWF event fairly recently.

I remember watching her when I in my teens along with the other icons of wrestling.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Perhaps the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about...

themanintheseersuckersuit

#4 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:06 am

Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.