Beast

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
PlacentiaSoccerMom

Beast

#1 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:43 am

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#2 Post by littlebeast13 » Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:49 am

Yes, I saw that! :D

lb13

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#3 Post by silvercamaro » Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:58 am

That information tends to support something I've long suspected. In the past, I've often been blocked from web sites or received strange, vague warnings after trying to access or post to a site from AOL. I've looked up my own IP address and discovered that it may even vary within the course of a few minutes -- and the geographic location is virtually always "New York." In other words, my IP address (often described incorrectly as "unique") is being shared with thousands of other AOL subscribers, apparently including a few foul-mouthed, disruptive degenerates from time to time.

Bob Juch

#4 Post by Bob Juch » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:01 am

silvercamaro wrote:That information tends to support something I've long suspected. In the past, I've often been blocked from web sites or received strange, vague warnings after trying to access or post to a site from AOL. I've looked up my own IP address and discovered that it may even vary within the course of a few minutes -- and the geographic location is virtually always "New York." In other words, my IP address (often described incorrectly as "unique") is being shared with thousands of other AOL subscribers, apparently including a few foul-mouthed, disruptive degenerates from time to time.
That's strange and may cause huge problems.

To be sure, try this:
http://whatismyip.com/

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#5 Post by silvercamaro » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:12 am

Bob Juch wrote: That's strange and may cause huge problems.

To be sure, try this:
The number that came up from the link may have been your IP address. At any rate, that one started with a 72.192.... Retyping the site name, it came up with 64.12...... It did that again the second time. A similar site, whatismyipaddress.com, came up with a number that started with 64, but ended in different numbers.

What kind of huge problems are possible?

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#6 Post by littlebeast13 » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:18 am

silvercamaro wrote:What kind of huge problems are possible?

You mean other than ignorant moderators making incorrect assumptions...? :oops:

lb13

Bob Juch

#7 Post by Bob Juch » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:55 am

Responses going to the IP address that you used to have.

Bob Juch

#8 Post by Bob Juch » Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:00 am

silvercamaro wrote:
Bob Juch wrote: That's strange and may cause huge problems.

To be sure, try this:
The number that came up from the link may have been your IP address. At any rate, that one started with a 72.192.... Retyping the site name, it came up with 64.12...... It did that again the second time. A similar site, whatismyipaddress.com, came up with a number that started with 64, but ended in different numbers.

What kind of huge problems are possible?
Moderators can see the IP address you used for posting. You've used only two: a 72... and a 68... Both are Cox.

I'm not sure what's with everything else, but the Bored seems to be able to resolve the correct address.

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#9 Post by silvercamaro » Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:02 am

Bob Juch wrote:
I'm sorry, but I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. Is this why, usually when I'm 90 percent through with filling out some long, involved order form, I may get shut down and have to start over? That is, the other computer has pinged my computer and mine wasn't "there" any more?

Bob Juch

#10 Post by Bob Juch » Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:31 am

silvercamaro wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:
I'm sorry, but I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. Is this why, usually when I'm 90 percent through with filling out some long, involved order form, I may get shut down and have to start over? That is, the other computer has pinged my computer and mine wasn't "there" any more?
That could be.

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#11 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:35 am

I use AOL through Adelphia. I can also go in through Adelphia and change my IP address.

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#12 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:59 am

Bob Juch wrote:
To be sure, try this:

If I sign on through AOL I have one number and just going through IE, I have another.

207.200.116.XXX
75.83.126.XX
Last edited by PlacentiaSoccerMom on Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bob Juch

#13 Post by Bob Juch » Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:02 pm

PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:
To be sure, try this:

If I sign on through AOL I one number and just going through IE, I have another.

207.200.116.XXX
75.83.126.XX
Your 75... address is your real IP address. You have used many other AOL addresses.

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#14 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:55 pm

Basically what this means is that if AOL users create Merry Men, their indentities wouldn't necessarily be revealed to the Moderators.

tubadave
Official Bored Breaker/Fixer

#15 Post by tubadave » Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:23 am

This only serves to confirm my theory that AOL is a complete sack of crap when it comes to internet access. Jeez, no wonder people using AOL have trouble accessing anything even remotely secure.

According to the information in that link, the Masked IP filter I disabled the other day for Christie's sake would probably block pretty much anyone who tried to get here directly through AOL. As others have discovered, having your internet through AOL and accessing the Bored by way of Internet Explorer or Firefox (or another browser, so long as it's not the AOL browser itself) generally seems to work.

I implore anyone who uses AOL for their internet service provider....for the love of God, please try to find a better alternative!!11!!!1!!!1!!one!!11!!

:D
"Not all chemicals are bad. Without chemicals such as hydrogen and oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer." -- Dave Barry

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#16 Post by silvercamaro » Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:43 am

tubadave wrote: I implore anyone who uses AOL for their internet service provider....for the love of God, please try to find a better alternative!!11!!!1!!!1!!one!!11!!
I've kept AOL for one single reason. I've had my e-mail address since AOl's early days, when they had only a few hundred thousand subscribers. As a result I was able to get my name -- just my name, with no initials or numbers -- for my full and complete address. This means people can find me. Whoever wants to write me can do so. Not only have I heard from old friends from as far away as Australia, but after my BAM appearance, I've heard from a funny California stranger who offered an atta-girl, and several prospective contestants looking for advice. You want to write me? Write. I may not answer right away (as all too many of you already know,) but you will find me in a jif.

No superior internet browser can offer me that particular bonus any more -- and Annie is happy to have her own free e-mail address, too. If you want to write her, she's just a little harder to find.

TheConfessor

#17 Post by TheConfessor » Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:44 am

silvercamaro wrote:I've kept AOL for one single reason. I've had my e-mail address since AOl's early days, when they had only a few hundred thousand subscribers. As a result I was able to get my name -- just my name, with no initials or numbers -- for my full and complete address. This means people can find me. Whoever wants to write me can do so. Not only have I heard from old friends from as far away as Australia, but after my BAM appearance, I've heard from a funny California stranger who offered an atta-girl, and several prospective contestants looking for advice. You want to write me? Write. I may not answer right away (as all too many of you already know,) but you will find me in a jif.

No superior internet browser can offer me that particular bonus any more -- and Annie is happy to have her own free e-mail address, too. If you want to write her, she's just a little harder to find.
Isn't AOL mail free now? Can't you still keep your AOL address even if you access the internet through an ISP other than AOL?

MarleysGh0st

#18 Post by MarleysGh0st » Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:45 am

TheConfessor wrote:Isn't AOL mail free now? Can't you still keep your AOL address even if you access the internet through an ISP other than AOL?
Yes, if you have broadband access through another ISP, you can keep using AOL's software (including free MacAfee virus scan software) at no charge. I've had my AOL address since 1993, and that's what I do now.

Or, if you don't want AOL's clunky software on your PC at all, you can use their web access to read your AOL mail.

But silvercamaro's wireless router suffered from a certain puppy cable-chewing incident this weekend, so she may still be back on dial-up for now.

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#19 Post by kayrharris » Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:32 am

About two years ago my sister got DSL through Bellsouth (now AT&T). She's an AOL girl.

When she tried to discontinue her AOL account, they convinced her she needed to keep it, she could "piggyback" with the DSL (?), keep her email address, they'd give 6 months free, yada, yada, yada.

To make a long story short, she still uses AND pays for AOL along with her DSL service. I can't for the life of me convince her she can drop AOL and keep her email address. I've given up.
Last edited by kayrharris on Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

MarleysGh0st

#20 Post by MarleysGh0st » Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:44 am

kayrharris wrote:To make a long story short, she still uses AND pays for AOL along with her DSL service. I can't for the life of me convince her she can drop AOL and keep her email address. I've given up.
Try again to get her to switch to the totally free access. She should be able to do that online without having to talk to any of the browbeating service representatives.

earendel

#21 Post by earendel » Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:00 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:Try again to get her to switch to the totally free access. She should be able to do that online without having to talk to any of the browbeating service representatives.
For a brief time I was an AOL subscriber, back in the days when the only access in our area (in southern Indiana) was dial-up. I decided to take advantage of the free trial and when the time came up to subscribe, I decided I didn't want to do it - there were at that time some free services (such as Juno and NetZero) that we went with. As resolute as I was in wanting to cancel my service it was not an easy thing to do at all.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#22 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:01 am

tubadave wrote:
I implore anyone who uses AOL for their internet service provider....for the love of God, please try to find a better alternative!!11!!!1!!!1!!one!!11!!

:D
Feel strongly about the issue?

I have had my AOL account since 1994. I no longer pay for it since I have Cable Service through Adelphia for my computer line, but it's a hard habit to give up.

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#23 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:04 am

kayrharris wrote:
To make a long story short, she still uses AND pays for AOL along with her DSL service. I can't for the life of me convince her she can drop AOL and keep her email address. I've given up.
Free access works the same as the premium service, except you don't have the opportunity of calling the customer service people (in India).
I had problems with AOL recently and just removed it and reinstalled it.