Transcript 09/08/2008 Sally Vander Veer

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 09/08/2008 Sally Vander Veer

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:25 pm

Sally Vander Veer
Superior, CO

Sally’s husband lost his job the same day that she received the call to be on the show.

Here is Sally’s Topic Tree for her stack:

Government
Youtube
Entertainers
Myths
Historic Events
Poetry
Architecture
Nutrition
2008 Albums
Film & Television
Vegetables
Across the Pond
World History
Military Terms
Children’s Songs

Meredith then tells Sally about the lifelines. The Phone a Friend, Ask the Audience, the new Double Dip which gives two guesses at the same question and if she reaches $1K, she will get the Ask the Expert life line.

Fifteen seconds to answer each of the first five questions. The clock starts as soon as the four choices are revealed.

As soon as Meredith started to give the first choice, all four of the choices showed on the display and the clock started.

$100 The popular children’s song “It’s Raining, It’s Pouring” mentions and “old man” doing what?
A. Snoring
B. Cooking
C. Laughing
D. Yelling at squirrels

$200 Around their necks, soldiers commonly wear metal identification tags known as what?
A. Goat tags
B. Ox tags
C. Shark tags
D. Dog tags

$300 “A Jewish state has been proclaimed in Palestine” is a phrase in a 1948 document announcing U.S. recognition of what country?
A. Czechoslovakia
B. South Korea
C. Cuba
D. Israel

$500 In England, which of these items is sometimes called a “beermat”?
A. Wallet
B. Ashtray
C. Coaster
D. Wristwatch

$1K What animal’s name is also a slang term that refers to a relatively small keg of beer?
A. Puppy
B. Piglet
C. Pony
D. Lamb

commercial break

Meredith announces that Bill Nye will be the Ask the Expert.
Bill is brought up on the big screen in the studio and he and Meredith talk a little while.

Thirty seconds on the clock for each of the next five questions

$2K The star of the 2008 comedy “Baby Mama” is also the star of what TV show?
A. Ugly Betty
B. 30 Rock
C. Ghost Whisperer
D. The Sarah Silverman Program

$4K “New Ameryka” is the title of a 2008 R&B album by an artist with what last name?
A. Badu
B. Blige
C. Keys
D. Knowles

Sally asks to use her ATA. The clock is stopped at twenty-two seconds.

ATA
55% A. Badu
16% B. Blige
25% C. Keys
4% D. Knowles

Meredith says that Badu has 55% and then she calls for the clock to start.

commercial break

$8K Since 1998, the government has required that almost all enriched grain products sold in the U.S. be fortified with what nutrient?
A. Vitamin D
B. Folic acid
C. Beta carotene
D. Vitamin E

Sally wants to use ATE. The clock stops at fourteen seconds.

ATE – Bill Nye

Meredith feeds the question to Bill, it appears on his computer screen.
Bill says that he is not sure, but believes that it is folic acid.

$16K Which of these architectural elements is a type of built-in seat located adjacent to a fireplace?
A. Architrave
B. Nave
C. Wainscot
D. Inglenook

PAF – Sharon, Sally’s sister. Clock stopped at sixteen seconds.
Sharon does not know.

Sally asks to use the DD. Clock stops at 10 seconds.

Sally’s first choice is nave.
Sally’s second choice is inglenook.

commercial break

$25K In 2008, a Vermont court ordered teen vandals to read “The Road Not Taken” after they trashed the former home of what poet?
A. Walt Whitman
B. Carl Sandburg
C. Robert Frost
D. T.S. Eliot

Sally thinks she knows the answer, but decides to walk with $16K as time runs out.

horn

Answers:
$100 A. Snoring
$200 D. Dog tags
$300 D. Israel
$500 C. Coaster
$1K C. Pony
$2K B. 30 Rock
$4K A. Badu
$8K B. Folic acid
$16K D. Inglenook
$25K C. Robert Frost
Last edited by BBTranscriptTeam on Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheConfessor

#2 Post by TheConfessor » Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:56 pm

So the question about the name of a small beer keg was labeled as a question about "vegetables"? That's quite a stretch. Or is there a mistake here?

I hope all stacks will have two consecutive questions about beer. It seems like a good guideline.

MyBigFatFabulousBrain
Merry Man

#3 Post by MyBigFatFabulousBrain » Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:04 pm

Sally Vander Veer
Superior, CO

Sally’s husband lost his job the same day that she received the call to be on the show.

A coincidence!?!? After what, 6 painful seasons now, this show is quickly becoming a stigma to be associated with, even by marriage. I remember when getting 5 seconds of RoF fame got your picture in the paper. Now, your wife sitting in the Hot Seat gets your ass in the unemployment line...

Government
Youtube
Entertainers
Myths
Historic Events
Poetry
Architecture
Nutrition
2008 Albums
Film & Television
Vegetables
Across the Pond
World History
Military Terms
Children’s Songs

YouTube should never be a category on this show, as it is proof what happens when you allow dumbasses to operate cameras and give them a place to post their mind-numbing tripe. 2008 albums doesn't look very promising either, since that probably doesn't include music from at least 20 years ago...

Meredith then tells Sally about the lifelines. The Phone a Friend, Ask the Audience, the new Double Dip which gives two guesses at the same question and if she reaches $1K, she will get the Ask the Expert life line.

Yawn!

Fifteen seconds to answer each of the first five questions. The clock starts as soon as the four choices are revealed.

That's too long. How many more questions could they ask if they lowered the limit to about 15 nanoseconds, which is usually all that's needed to answer the first tier?

As soon as Meredith started to give the first choice, all four of the choices showed on the display and the clock started.

It's nice to see that the guy who runs Sploofus has gotten a job with WWTBAM. Now if they can only replicate the 15 second connection delay....

$100 The popular children’s song “It’s Raining, It’s Pouring” mentions and “old man” doing what?
A. Snoring
B. Cooking
C. Laughing
D. Yelling at squirrels

Hi dungeon writers! I'm glad to see you guys are actually reading all the well-deserved insults I've hurled your way the past 3 years. I might send you a bottle of Tilex to show how much I care...

$200 Around their necks, soldiers commonly wear metal identification tags known as what?
A. Goat tags
B. Ox tags
C. Shark tags
D. Dog tags

What, no squirrel tags? Llama tags? I guess Annie had to get her shoutout next...

$300 “A Jewish state has been proclaimed in Palestine” is a phrase in a 1948 document announcing U.S. recognition of what country?
A. Czechoslovakia
B. South Korea
C. Cuba
D. Israel

$500 In England, which of these items is sometimes called a “beermat”?
A. Wallet
B. Ashtray
C. Coaster
D. Wristwatch

$1K What animal’s name is also a slang term that refers to a relatively small keg of beer?
A. Puppy
B. Piglet
C. Pony
D. Lamb

Too bad I have to get the extra large keg when watching this show. I've subscribed for the upcoming season...

Meredith announces that Bill Nye will be the Ask the Expert.
Bill is brought up on the big screen in the studio and he and Meredith talk a little while.

I'd prefer Don Herbert, but I guess WWTBAM doesn't have the technology yet to communicate with the dead. Maybe Mr. Nye can work on that for you...

Thirty seconds on the clock for each of the next five questions

$2K The star of the 2008 comedy “Baby Mama” is also the star of what TV show?
A. Ugly Betty
B. 30 Rock
C. Ghost Whisperer
D. The Sarah Silverman Program

This isn't even the 2008 Albums question yet, and already we have our first reference to something from this year! I dread all the election questions we'll be getting fed next year, assuming the writers haven't run out of John Kerry questions yet....

$4K “New Ameryka” is the title of a 2008 R&B album by an artist with what last name?
A. Badu
B. Blige
C. Keys
D. Knowles

$#@*(^& question writers. Yeah, I'm talking to you! You're probably the same one that wrote that ignorant "ones and twos" question from the Regis era....

ATA
55% A. Badu
16% B. Blige
25% C. Keys
4% D. Knowles

Is NFL_Referee or Phil Luckett looking for a job? This is absolutely silly!

$8K Since 1998, the government has required that almost all enriched grain products sold in the U.S. be fortified with what nutrient?
A. Vitamin D
B. Folic acid
C. Beta carotene
D. Vitamin E

Maybe we should quit fortifying the buffet in the green room with Vitamin Duh....

ATE – Bill Nye

Bill Nye is too busy building a rocket to Uranus to worry about what kinds of pesticides the government wants to put in our grain. He only said acid because he was just in his lab burning a hole in the table with some H2SO4...

$16K Which of these architectural elements is a type of built-in seat located adjacent to a fireplace?
A. Architrave
B. Nave
C. Wainscot
D. Inglenook

Yeah, have a seat in the fireplace. That would actually be a good place for both the Hot Seat and the host's chair. Light the firelogs when the first question is read, and I guarantee you it'll have a bigger effect on the speed of the game than any stupid stopwatch....

Sharon does not know.

All these wonderful lifelines, and they're not worth the executive washroom Charmin they were jotted down on my _TPTB_....

Sally's third choice is apologizing to her unemployed husband....

$25K In 2008, a Vermont court ordered teen vandals to read “The Road Not Taken” after they trashed the former home of what poet?
A. Walt Whitman
B. Carl Sandburg
C. Robert Frost
D. T.S. Eliot

Sally thinks she knows the answer, but decides to walk as time runs out.

How in the hell can you NOT know this question? This was the easiest one in the whole damn stack, including the inane first tier questions! Please, please take away the silly clock. It's eating away at the minds of your "brilliant" contestants you bring on here, and that's slim pickins as it is. I'm just glad I don't have a time limit to come up with these witty, sarcastic replies, because I often have to take about 2 minutes to snap out of my stupor when I see some of the idiocy on display....

Nihil Obstat®
It's sarcasm, get over it already!

Bob Juch

#4 Post by Bob Juch » Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:18 pm

TheConfessor wrote:So the question about the name of a small beer keg was labeled as a question about "vegetables"? That's quite a stretch. Or is there a mistake here?

I hope all stacks will have two consecutive questions about beer. It seems like a good guideline.
No mistake.

I'd take a whole stack about beer!
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

bazodee

#5 Post by bazodee » Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:25 pm

Perhaps it's labeled as a vegetable question because beer makes you pea ...

Rexer25
It's all his fault. That'll be $10.

#6 Post by Rexer25 » Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:26 pm

It's good to see MBFFB mellowed out between seasons...
Enough already. It's my fault! Get over it!

That'll be $10, please.

TheConfessor

#7 Post by TheConfessor » Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:23 pm

Am I really the only person here who thinks a question about beer shouldn't be in a category labeled "Vegetables"? It didn't make a difference in this particular case, but it's not hard to imagine a scenario where a mislabeled question might cost a contestant a huge pile of money.

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#8 Post by ulysses5019 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:00 am

A. Snoring
B. Cooking
C. Laughing
D. Yelling at squirrels

Where's the N.A.S?
I believe in the usefulness of useless information.

NellyLunatic1980

Re: Transcript 09/08/2008 Sally Vander Veer

#9 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:17 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote: $100 The popular children’s song “It’s Raining, It’s Pouring” mentions and “old man” doing what?
A. Snoring
B. Cooking
C. Laughing
D. Yelling at squirrels
No, the old man doesn't do D. That's just Annie. :P

$1K: Honestly, I am not familiar with this term. ATA.

$8K: I would also ask Bill Nye.

I got the $16K answer through process of elimination. I got the $25K answer before the choices came up (thank you, Doug Van Gundy).

MarleysGh0st

#10 Post by MarleysGh0st » Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:51 am

TheConfessor wrote:Am I really the only person here who thinks a question about beer shouldn't be in a category labeled "Vegetables"? It didn't make a difference in this particular case, but it's not hard to imagine a scenario where a mislabeled question might cost a contestant a huge pile of money.
You're quite right. Do you feel like sending Michael Davies an e-mail?

I know he doesn't want to hear from me. :(

MarleysGh0st

#11 Post by MarleysGh0st » Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:01 am

Good job on recording all the new features of the show! If we're going to record the remaining clock time, can we standardize on a shorthand form of representing that to save on our typing? Something like [12 s.]?

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:

Government
Youtube
Entertainers
Myths
Historic Events
Poetry
Architecture
Nutrition
2008 Albums
Film & Television
Vegetables
Across the Pond
World History
Military Terms
Children’s Songs
Do the contestants get to see this list on their screen for the rest of the game? Once Bill Nye--still best known as Bill Nye the Science Guy--was introduced as the ATE, how could studying this list (if the contestant had time to study) pick a topic to to use him on? Where's the science?

Actually, that nutrition question he got was the most scientifically-oriented, even though Bill said that wasn't his area of expertise.

I'd have needed to ATA the Film & Television question, then would have needed one or more lifelines on the 2008 Albums one. After that was OK.

How are you on pop music, Mr. Nye? :?

NellyLunatic1980

#12 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:04 am

My blood pressure from all of the Bored political debate is finally coming down--thanks to the return of MBFFB®. :)

earendel

#13 Post by earendel » Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:05 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:Good job on recording all the new features of the show! If we're going to record the remaining clock time, can we standardize on a shorthand form of representing that to save on our typing? Something like [12 s.]?
I had intended to do that on the days that I transcribe; it would be a nice touch to include it.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Do the contestants get to see this list on their screen for the rest of the game? Once Bill Nye--still best known as Bill Nye the Science Guy--was introduced as the ATE, how could studying this list (if the contestant had time to study) pick a topic to to use him on? Where's the science?
I think the list is on the screen that the contestant sees - didn't frogman or someone else report that?
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

earendel

#14 Post by earendel » Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:13 am

First off, my 2 cents' worth on the changes:

1. I don't like the clock, but if it's going to be kept, then the contestant should have the option to interrupt Meredith and give the answer before letting her finish (as with the FF on PTBAM). If I were on the show, I'd do it in order to conserve time.

2. The ATE lifeline has some promise, although the Web call (compliments of Skype) has the typical jerkiness that makes it hard to watch and may cause some wasted time. At least there doesn't seem to be a time limit as there is for PAF.

3. The categories - may or may not be helpful but sometimes (as in the "beer question in the vegetable category") may not be. I know that when I saw the categories I was already figuring where I'd end up using lifelines.

Now on to the stack itself.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote: Sally Vander Veer
Superior, CO

That gives us the "Awwww..." moment.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$100 The popular children’s song “It’s Raining, It’s Pouring” mentions and “old man” doing what?
A. Snoring
B. Cooking
C. Laughing
D. Yelling at squirrels
Why not show the category on the screen above the question, for the benefit of the home audience?
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$4K “New Ameryka” is the title of a 2008 R&B album by an artist with what last name?
A. Badu
B. Blige
C. Keys
D. Knowles

ATA
55% A. Badu
16% B. Blige
25% C. Keys
4% D. Knowles

This is one of the places where I figured that I'd need to use a lifeline; no need to deliberate, just ATA as soon as I'm allowed to do so.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$8K Since 1998, the government has required that almost all enriched grain products sold in the U.S. be fortified with what nutrient?
A. Vitamin D
B. Folic acid
C. Beta carotene
D. Vitamin E

ATE – Bill Nye

Again I wonder about the connectivity issue (I presume if there's a failure the question would be redone) and the quality of the video and sound.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$16K Which of these architectural elements is a type of built-in seat located adjacent to a fireplace?
A. Architrave
B. Nave
C. Wainscot
D. Inglenook

Sharon does not know.

So you get the additional (4th) lifeline after the $1K question rather than having to wait until the $25K.

OK, I'd have burned one lifeline to get to the $25K, but no idea as to how much time I'd have accumulated (another graphic that should be displayed for the benefit of the TV audience).

Even with the clock there were only 10 questions shown; part of that was due to the additional game-play explanations that Meredith did and the extra chat with the "expert", so perhaps over time the number of questions will increase.

One last thing - I noted that they showed the "on deck" contestant during Sally's run, which they haven't done before.

earendel

#15 Post by earendel » Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:18 am

TheConfessor wrote:Am I really the only person here who thinks a question about beer shouldn't be in a category labeled "Vegetables"? It didn't make a difference in this particular case, but it's not hard to imagine a scenario where a mislabeled question might cost a contestant a huge pile of money.
Well, beer is composed of hops along with barley and other grains, all of which are "vegetables" in the broadest sense of the term, so maybe that's why it was in this category.

But seriously, I would agree with you that this was not an appropriate question for the category. It will be interesting to see if the trend continues.

MarleysGh0st

#16 Post by MarleysGh0st » Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:24 am

Here's a short article about Sally's appearance.

http://www.dailycamera.com/news/2008/se ... game-show/

gsabc

#17 Post by gsabc » Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:25 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:Here's a short article about Sally's appearance.

http://www.dailycamera.com/news/2008/se ... game-show/
And here's where the unemployment thing showed up:
“In my mind, I said Robert Frost,” she said. “I was about 99 percent sure. I'm a little disappointed that I didn't trust what I knew. But overall it was amazing.”
With less of a need for money, I'll bet she'd have gone for it. Maybe more time to think about it and talk herself into it, too. I feel sorry for her and her family. Another $9K for sure and the free shot for an additional $25K would have been useful.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

MarleysGh0st

#18 Post by MarleysGh0st » Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:39 am

gsabc wrote: With less of a need for money, I'll bet she'd have gone for it. Maybe more time to think about it and talk herself into it, too. I feel sorry for her and her family. Another $9K for sure and the free shot for an additional $25K would have been useful.
Time pressure may be more dramatic but is unlikely to result in better decisions, especially when a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity is ticking away.

rgcviper

Reply to MyBigFatFabulousBrain

#19 Post by rgcviper » Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:37 am

To MyBigFatFabulousBrain:

I didn't need to read a question-by-question synopsis of what seemed like insults and negative remarks, only to read the comment at the end. Please condense your remarks and try to be more considerate about how others might read your comments.

MarleysGh0st

Re: Reply to MyBigFatFabulousBrain

#20 Post by MarleysGh0st » Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:40 am

rgcviper wrote:To MyBigFatFabulousBrain:

I didn't need to read a question-by-question synopsis of what seemed like insults and negative remarks, only to read the comment at the end. Please condense your remarks and try to be more considerate about how others might read your comments.
Did you read his signature line?
It's sarcasm, get over it already!

frogman042
Bored Pun-dit

#21 Post by frogman042 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:50 am

I remember when I first came to the bored to read transcripts in case I ever got 'The Call' and was initially put off by MBFFB (which I think really stands for "My Best Friend Forever - Beyonce!") - after being on the bored for a while and getting a sense of the place - MBFFB seemed sort of like the Charlie McCarthy of the bored - so don't sweat it.

In fact I'm looking forward to MBFFB tearing me a huge new one when my episode airs and I will be biterly disappointed if s/he wusses out on me.

---Jay

Rexer25
It's all his fault. That'll be $10.

#22 Post by Rexer25 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:52 am

frogman042 wrote:

I remember when I first came to the bored to read transcripts in case I ever got 'The Call' and was initially put off by MBFFB (which I think really stands for "My Best Friend Forever - Beyonce!") - after being on the bored for a while and getting a sense of the place - MBFFB seemed sort of like the Charlie McCarthy of the bored - so don't sweat it.

In fact I'm looking forward to MBFFB tearing me a huge new one when my episode airs and I will be biterly disappointed if s/he wusses out on me.

---Jay
He's been known to take it easy on BBs, but not retract his claws completely.
Enough already. It's my fault! Get over it!

That'll be $10, please.

frogman042
Bored Pun-dit

#23 Post by frogman042 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:57 am

earendel wrote:First off, my 2 cents' worth on the changes:

1. I don't like the clock, but if it's going to be kept, then the contestant should have the option to interrupt Meredith and give the answer before letting her finish (as with the FF on PTBAM). If I were on the show, I'd do it in order to conserve time.
Once the last answer is revealed and the clock starts, the contestant can answer at any point or choose to go for a lifeline, whether or not Meredith is still reading the answers - they don't have to wait until she finishes. If the clock stops for the use of a lifeline, they cannot answer until the clock starts back up again, though.

---Jay

MarleysGh0st

#24 Post by MarleysGh0st » Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:02 am

By the way, rgcviper, it looks like you've been a lurker for at least four months. I'm glad you finally found something to post about.

Welcome! You were a poster on the Go Bored, weren't you?

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#25 Post by ulysses5019 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:05 am

Rexer25 wrote:
frogman042 wrote:

---Jay
He's been known to take it easy on BBs, but not retract his claws completely.

What? I still have scratch marks. Oh, maybe they're from someone else.
I believe in the usefulness of useless information.