Snoopy! (The ophathalmologistic one)

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
fantine33

Snoopy! (The ophathalmologistic one)

#1 Post by fantine33 » Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:26 pm

I'm too lazy to look back to your previous message, so I'm starting a new one. And I will spell opahtholmaligist any damn way I please, thank you (you may check my signature quote for further explanation. Ha!).

Yes, I was afraid that I was resigned to the Two Buck Chucks. It's very strange to be nearsighted as a bat my whole life and now I can count the moles on a gnat's ass at 500 paces, but I can't read a book that's right under my damned nose!

I have known a few people who had the Lasik rather (ahem) late in life and they had the mono vision eye thing done that way during the surgery. It seems it took them a little bit to get used to it. My eyes tend to focus independently (possibly related to my cross dominance issues) so I'm not sure that would work for me. Or maybe that would make it easier?

PS Your avatar reminds me of a favourite print that I've had framed and on the wall for years. Were I diligent, I would find it and make a groovy avatar, but we know that diligence and I have only a passing acquaintance. Ha!

tanstaafl2

Re: Snoopy! (The ophathalmologistic one)

#2 Post by tanstaafl2 » Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:32 pm

fantine33 wrote: I'm too lazy to look back to your previous message, so I'm starting a new one. And I will spell opahtholmaligist any damn way I please, thank you (you may check my signature quote for further explanation. Ha!).
My dearest Fannee®, I would expect nothing less!
fantine33 wrote:Yes, I was afraid that I was resigned to the Two Buck Chucks. It's very strange to be nearsighted as a bat my whole life and now I can count the moles on a gnat's ass at 500 paces, but I can't read a book that's right under my damned nose!
Yes, I have often noted that this sudden and often dramtic change is quite perplexing for people, notably because of how sudden it is.
fantine33 wrote:I have known a few people who had the Lasik rather (ahem) late in life and they had the mono vision eye thing done that way during the surgery. It seems it took them a little bit to get used to it. My eyes tend to focus independently (possibly related to my cross dominance issues) so I'm not sure that would work for me. Or maybe that would make it easier?
I suspect cross dominant issues would make it harder for you to adapt to monovision, not easier.

Hmm, the subject of dominance in a conversation with you seems to make me all warm and tingling...
fantine33 wrote:PS Your avatar reminds me of a favourite print that I've had framed and on the wall for years. Were I diligent, I would find it and make a groovy avatar, but we know that diligence and I have only a passing acquaintance. Ha!
This one perhaps?

It is certainly one of my favorites and hangs in my office. It would please to no end to know that we share this little bond as well!

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
Ne Illegitimi Carborundum
Cumann na gClann Uí Thighearnaigh

fantine33

#3 Post by fantine33 » Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:03 am

tanstaafl2 wrote:I suspect cross dominant issues would make it harder for you to adapt to monovision, not easier.

Hmm, the subject of dominance in a conversation with you seems to make me all warm and tingling...
I know how you love it when I go all Broca on your ass. Ha!

No, that is not the picture, but wouldn't that be too weird if it was? I'm not sure if I would be more concerned that apparently you thought like I did, or that I thought like you did.

Mine isn't eye oriented. In fact, I'm kind of squicky about eyes in general. A lot of it has to do with a movie I saw when I was a kid. I think it had Ray Milland in it, or Ray Walston. Or maybe neither of them. Anyway, this guy had a pair of binoculars and they were rigged so that when he put them up to his eyes, nails shot out of them. That ruined Viewmasters and kaleidoscopes for me and I still have issues about putting my eyes up to something without sticking my fingers in it first.

Is that your clan in your signature? It looks like the Gaelic of your name, although the only Gaelic name I'm sure of is my own. They have an entirely unwarranted love of extraneous vowels, don't they?

tanstaafl2

#4 Post by tanstaafl2 » Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:25 am

fantine33 wrote:
I know how you love it when I go all Broca on your ass. Ha!

No, that is not the picture, but wouldn't that be too weird if it was? I'm not sure if I would be more concerned that apparently you thought like I did, or that I thought like you did.

Mine isn't eye oriented. In fact, I'm kind of squicky about eyes in general. A lot of it has to do with a movie I saw when I was a kid. I think it had Ray Milland in it, or Ray Walston. Or maybe neither of them. Anyway, this guy had a pair of binoculars and they were rigged so that when he put them up to his eyes, nails shot out of them. That ruined Viewmasters and kaleidoscopes for me and I still have issues about putting my eyes up to something without sticking my fingers in it first.

Is that your clan in your signature? It looks like the Gaelic of your name, although the only Gaelic name I'm sure of is my own. They have an entirely unwarranted love of extraneous vowels, don't they?
Yes, I suppose nails sticking into someone's eyes might have a lasting impact!

It is the name of a clan website based in the old country that I have considered joining but never gotten around to it. Whether it is THE clan or not I am not really sure!

Their DNA project seems interesting. What little I know of that part of the family history suggests we are descended from the Uí Fiachrach sect of the clan but I don't know enough detail to know that with any certainty. But yes that is presumably the Gaelic spelling, extraneous vowels and all!

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
Ne Illegitimi Carborundum
Cumann na gClann Uí Thighearnaigh