Transcript 11/7/2007 - Andre Boustani (carryover contestant)

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 11/7/2007 - Andre Boustani (carryover contestant)

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:41 pm

Andre Boustani
Nashville, TN
First year medical student

Andre has only the 50/50 and STQ lifelines remaining.

Andre said yesterday that he really didn't comprehend what this kind of money meant. He won a $5K scholarship and thought that was a big sum. Now he has the chance to win five times as much.

$50K - Jeff "Skunk" Baxter, one of the leading counterterrorism experts in the U.S., was also the lead guitarist for which of these rock bands?

A - REO Speedwagon
B - Boston
C - The Doobie Brothers
D - Lynyrd Skynyrd

He doesn't have any idea but doesn't think it's D. 50/50 won't help so he decides to switch the question.

$50K (STQ) - The produce comapny now known as Chiquita played a key role in the 1954 overthrow of which country's government?

A - Honduras
B - Guatamala
C - Costa Rica
D - Ecuador

Andre's not sure so he asks for the 50/50, leaving B and D. He still has no idea but it's a free guess so he decides to go with B.

$100K - Robert Smithson's famous artwork "Spiral Jetty" is a giant coil of rock and earth extending into what body of water?

A - Lake Michigan
B - Chesapeake Bay
C - Gulf of Mexico
D - Great Salt Lake

Andre says he has good news and bad news. The bad news is that he has no idea; the good news is that it makes his decision to walk away really easy.

ANSWERS:
$50K - C (The Doobie Brothers)
$50K (STQ) - B (Guatamala)
$100K - D (Great Salt Lake)

NellyLunatic1980

Re: Transcript 11/7/2007 - Andre Boustani (carryover contest

#2 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:46 am

$50K: PAF with Google should get this one easily.

$50K #2: Never would've seen this question, but I had the right answer.

$100K: I've seen it before, but I couldn't think of what body of water it was. STQ and hope for something better.

earendel

Re: Transcript 11/7/2007 - Andre Boustani (carryover contest

#3 Post by earendel » Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:53 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Andre Boustani
Nashville, TN
First year medical student

Andre has only the 50/50 and STQ lifelines remaining.
I thought he used his 50/50 on his first show.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$50K - Jeff "Skunk" Baxter, one of the leading counterterrorism experts in the U.S., was also the lead guitarist for which of these rock bands?

A - REO Speedwagon
B - Boston
C - The Doobie Brothers
D - Lynyrd Skynyrd

He doesn't have any idea but doesn't think it's D. 50/50 won't help so he decides to switch the question.
No idea, and I've already used my PAF on the roof question, so it's time to ATA and hope, keeping STQ in reserve. If the ATA doesn't help, then go with STQ.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$50K (STQ) - The produce comapny now known as Chiquita played a key role in the 1954 overthrow of which country's government?

A - Honduras
B - Guatamala
C - Costa Rica
D - Ecuador

Andre's not sure so he asks for the 50/50, leaving B and D. He still has no idea but it's a free guess so he decides to go with B.
If this had come up in the stack I'd have known it right away. United Fruit had its tentacles deep in Guatemala, and several US officials had connections to the company (John Foster Dulles, the Secretary of State, worked for a law firm that represented UF, and another official was a former president of that company). There were fears that the elected government of Guatemala would either nationalize the company or take uncultivated land and give it to the indigenous inhabitants of the country. The directors of UF convinced our government that Guatamela was going to ally itself with the Soviet Union, and so the CIA funded a group of Guatemalan army officers who "invaded" the country from Honduras and took control of the government.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$100K - Robert Smithson's famous artwork "Spiral Jetty" is a giant coil of rock and earth extending into what body of water?

A - Lake Michigan
B - Chesapeake Bay
C - Gulf of Mexico
D - Great Salt Lake

Andre says he has good news and bad news. The bad news is that he has no idea; the good news is that it makes his decision to walk away really easy.
I've been to all four of these places but have never heard of this artwork. Turns out it was constructed in 1970 - my visit to the Great Salt Lake was back in the early 60s. Since I've used everything but 50/50, I'll go with that and hope something might come to me after seeing what remained.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."