Transcript 11/7/2007 - Lena Douris

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 11/7/2007 - Lena Douris

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:46 pm

Lena Douris
Staten Island, NY
Chemistry teacher

Meredith wonders if Lena's students were hoping she'd fall on the way out so they could make fun of her.

$2K - According to the familiar legend, what villainous figure was the archenemy of Robin Hood?

A - Little John
B - Sheriff of Nottingham
C - Friar Tuck
D - Much the Miller's Son

Lena knows this because of "Men in Tights."

$4K - In the quality-inspection process known as "candling," which of these foods is held in front of a bright light?

A - milk
B - wheat
C - potatoes
D - eggs

$8K - The title of Jennifer Lopez's Spanish pop album "Como Ama Una Mujer" means what in English?

A - What I've Always Wanted
B - When the Time Comes
C - How a Woman Loves
D - Where the Heart Lies

$16K - In 2003, Liberal Party leader Paul Martin succeeded Jean Chretien as prime minister of what country?

A - South Africa
B - Ireland
C - Australia
D - Canada

Lena went to school in Canada and would be massacred if she missed it.

GRAND GIVEAWAY WINNERS
Charlotte Campbell - Lansdale, PA
Georgina Ellis Smith - Witer Park, FL
Michelle Hurst - Reno, NV
Nancy Mazzola - Yantis, TX
Diane Warren - Alamo, GA

Commercial break

Lena teaches at an all-boys school. One of her students commented, "You're pretty smart for a girl." Meredith says, "Them's fighting words."

$25K - The focus of a celebrity-laden TV ad for American Express, Lake Winnipesaukee is a vacation spot in what U.S. state?

A - Minnesota
B - New Hampshire
C - Maine
D - Wisconsin

Lena wants to ask the audience.

ATA results:

A - 21%
B - 41%
C - 18%
D - 20%

Lena rolls her eyes at the results. That doesn't help so she decides to phone her cousin Jill. Lena ignores the first part of the question, spells the name of the lake and before she can read the answers Jill responds, "New Hampshire." They kill the rest of the time and Lena goes with Jill's answer.

Lena can't get over the fact that she's won $50K.

$50K - According to 2007 U.S. Census estimates, about how much of the world's population lives in the U.S.?

A - 5%
B - 10%
C - 15%
D - 20%

Lena says there's roughly 6 billion people on earth and roughly 300 million in the U.S.

GRAND GIVEAWAY WINNERS
Christine Adamski - Green Bay, WI
Frank Ferrari - Loudonville, NY
Linda Foss - Ocala, FL
Caroline Newcomer - Newville, )_A
Donna Tauro - Manahawkin, NJ

After announcing the winners, there's a commercial announcing that next week is "TV Week" on Millionaire.

Meredith asks what the money means to Lena. She replies that it means she can replace "The Eggplant". Lena explains that that's the name of her purple car. She needs something a little quieter.

$100K - Introduced in 1847, the first two stamps issued by the USPS featured George Washington and what other American?

A - Alexander Hamilton
B - Thomas Jefferson
C - Benjamin Franklin
D - Paul Revere

Lena is thinking it's Franklin because he was the first Postmaster General, but asks to use the 50/50, which leaves B and C. She decides to go for it.

$250K - The FBI was founded in 1908 by the grandnephew of what famous historical figure?

A - Napoleon Bonaparte
B - Lord Nelson
C - Ethan Allen
D - Jefferson Davis

Lena is absolutely sure she doesn't know this so she asks to switch the question.

$250K (STQ) - According to the American Heart Association, the average adult human heart pumps about how much blood each day?

A - 200 gallons
B - 500 gallons
C - 2000 gallons
D - 5000 gallons

Lena's heart is pumping about 1 million gallons. Meredith notes that Lena is a science teacher. Notwithstanding that, Lena decides to walk away.

GRAND GIVEAWAY WINNERS
Angela Bledsoe Williams - Little Rock, AR
Caren Clark - Fairfax, VA
Janet Lettrich - Park Ridge, IL
Casper Markert - Saginaw, MI
Sheila President - Cambridge, MD

ANSWERS:
$2K - B (Sheriff of Nottingham)
$4K - D (eggs)
$8K - C (How a Woman Loves)
$16K - D (Canada)
$25K - B (New Hampshire)
$50K - A (5%)
$100K - C (Benjamin Franklin)
$250K - A (Napoleon Bonaparte)
$250K (STQ) - C (2000 gallons)

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

Re: Transcript 11/7/2007 - Lena Douris

#2 Post by Bob78164 » Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:58 pm

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$250K - The FBI was founded in 1908 by the grandnephew of what famous historical figure?

A - Napoleon Bonaparte
B - Lord Nelson
C - Ethan Allen
D - Jefferson Davis

Lena is absolutely sure she doesn't know this so she asks to switch the question.
Think grandson, not grandnephew (same generation). Whose grandson would have been old enough to found the FBI in 1908?
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$250K (STQ) - According to the American Heart Association, the average adult human heart pumps about how much blood each day?

A - 200 gallons
B - 500 gallons
C - 2000 gallons
D - 5000 gallons

Lena's heart is pumping about 1 million gallons. Meredith notes that Lena is a science teacher. Notwithstanding that, Lena decides to walk away.
Shades of MarlboroBell! His fatal $8,000 question (which he decided to try on his own, rather than calling me (or someone else) as a PAF) was how long it takes all of the body's blood to make a round trip. It's a minute. There are 1,440 minutes in a day, and the body has a little less than 2 gallons of blood. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

NellyLunatic1980

#3 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:54 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Lena Douris
Staten Island, NY
Chemistry teacher
Yeah... Where Else®?

$25K: I was between Minnesota and Wisconsin. After using the audience and seeing a plurality go for New Hampshire, I would've freaked out. Looks like I would've been forced to use the PAF, as well.

$50K: 300 million divided by 6.5 billion. Easy math.

$100K: Also easy as long as you knew that Franklin indeed was the first postmaster general.

$250K: I sure wish I had that PAF right now. This would've been an easy Google. I'll have to STQ as well.

$250K: 50:50 wouldn't have done much for me as I didn't have the slightest idea. I would've walked.

peacock2121

#4 Post by peacock2121 » Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:18 am

I agree with Uday about her. I really liked her. I enjoyed watching her and I am thrilled she did so well.

I loved the math thing - she made me proud to be a girl.

earendel

#5 Post by earendel » Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:02 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote: Lena Douris
Staten Island, NY
Chemistry teacher
Yeah, she's a WE®, but she's a teacher. Furthermore she teaches one of my favorite subjects, and I wish my chemistry teacher had looked like her.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$2K - According to the familiar legend, what villainous figure was the archenemy of Robin Hood?

A - Little John
B - Sheriff of Nottingham
C - Friar Tuck
D - Much the Miller's Son

Lena knows this because of "Men in Tights."
We're men, we're men in tights.
We roam around the forest looking for fights.
We rob from the rich and give to the poor, that's right!
We may look like sissies, but watch what you say or else we'll put out your lights!
We're men, we're men in tights,
Always on guard defending the people's rights.

[Dance number, chorus line style]

We're men, MANLY men, we're men in tights. Yeah!
We roam around the forest looking for fights.
We rob from the rich and give to the poor, that's right!
We may look like pansies, but don't get us wrong or else we'll put out your lights.
We're men, we're men in tights (TIGHT tights),
Always on guard defending the people's rights.
When you're in a fix just call for the men in tights!
We're butch.

I love this movie.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$4K - In the quality-inspection process known as "candling," which of these foods is held in front of a bright light?

A - milk
B - wheat
C - potatoes
D - eggs
There are some old Loony Toons cartoons that feature this.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$8K - The title of Jennifer Lopez's Spanish pop album "Como Ama Una Mujer" means what in English?

A - What I've Always Wanted
B - When the Time Comes
C - How a Woman Loves
D - Where the Heart Lies
"Mujer" means "woman", so that makes the answer obvious.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$25K - The focus of a celebrity-laden TV ad for American Express, Lake Winnipesaukee is a vacation spot in what U.S. state?

A - Minnesota
B - New Hampshire
C - Maine
D - Wisconsin
I would have had no idea. But I don't think the audience would, either, so it's time to PAF (the third time in three days that I'd have used that lifeline on a low-level question.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:ATA results:

A - 21%
B - 41%
C - 18%
D - 20%
See, I was right about the audience.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Lena rolls her eyes at the results. That doesn't help so she decides to phone her cousin Jill. Lena ignores the first part of the question, spells the name of the lake and before she can read the answers Jill responds, "New Hampshire." They kill the rest of the time and Lena goes with Jill's answer.
It is a very fast Google. Lena did an excellent job in eliminating the distracting elements of the question and getting right to the heart of it.

Lena can't get over the fact that she's won $50K.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$50K - According to 2007 U.S. Census estimates, about how much of the world's population lives in the U.S.?

A - 5%
B - 10%
C - 15%
D - 20%

Lena says there's roughly 6 billion people on earth and roughly 300 million in the U.S.
Exactly the way to figure it - and good for her for doing it. I can understand why silvercamaro said what she did about this contestant. She's sharp and focused on playing the game, and managing her lifelines well.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:After announcing the winners, there's a commercial announcing that next week is "TV Week" on Millionaire.
No, it's not celebrities - it's like the Netflix movie week.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$100K - Introduced in 1847, the first two stamps issued by the USPS featured George Washington and what other American?

A - Alexander Hamilton
B - Thomas Jefferson
C - Benjamin Franklin
D - Paul Revere

Lena is thinking it's Franklin because he was the first Postmaster General, but asks to use the 50/50, which leaves B and C. She decides to go for it.
Oh, well...at this level I can't fault her for wanting to make sure. She had the right idea, though.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$250K - The FBI was founded in 1908 by the grandnephew of what famous historical figure?

A - Napoleon Bonaparte
B - Lord Nelson
C - Ethan Allen
D - Jefferson Davis

No idea, so I'd be using STQ also.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$250K (STQ) - According to the American Heart Association, the average adult human heart pumps about how much blood each day?

A - 200 gallons
B - 500 gallons
C - 2000 gallons
D - 5000 gallons

Yeah, Meredith, but she's a chemistry teacher, not a biology teacher. From my recliner I guessed the right answer but in the Hot Seat I'd have used my 50/50 and probably walked away.

Well played, Lena!
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

MarleysGh0st

#6 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:36 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote: $25K - The focus of a celebrity-laden TV ad for American Express, Lake Winnipesaukee is a vacation spot in what U.S. state?

A - Minnesota
B - New Hampshire
C - Maine
D - Wisconsin

ATA results:

A - 21%
B - 41%
C - 18%
D - 20%

Lena rolls her eyes at the results. That doesn't help so she decides to phone her cousin Jill. Lena ignores the first part of the question, spells the name of the lake and before she can read the answers Jill responds, "New Hampshire." They kill the rest of the time and Lena goes with Jill's answer.
Lena didn't like that ATA, but it was actually a perfect result for a "hard" question. It appears that 80% of the audience was clueless and split evenly among their guesses, while 20% actually knew it.

If only Paul Mercurio added "don't guess on the ATA if you don't know it" to his audience instructions. <sigh>

Lake Winnipesaukee is a beautiful spot. And before American Express made their commercial--in a TV studio, not on scene--about it (gratuitous pop culture connection to a geography question), it was where they filmed On Golden Pond.

MarleysGh0st

#7 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:41 am

Bob78164 wrote:

A - Napoleon Bonaparte
B - Lord Nelson
C - Ethan Allen
D - Jefferson Davis

Think grandson, not grandnephew (same generation). Whose grandson would have been old enough to found the FBI in 1908
I didn't know this answer, but trying to use the logical approach you took, wouldn't Napoleon and Nelson be of the same generation?

gsabc

#8 Post by gsabc » Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:55 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
BBTranscriptTeam wrote: $25K - The focus of a celebrity-laden TV ad for American Express, Lake Winnipesaukee is a vacation spot in what U.S. state?

A - Minnesota
B - New Hampshire
C - Maine
D - Wisconsin

ATA results:

A - 21%
B - 41%
C - 18%
D - 20%

Lena didn't like that ATA, but it was actually a perfect result for a "hard" question. It appears that 80% of the audience was clueless and split evenly among their guesses, while 20% actually knew it.

If only Paul Mercurio added "don't guess on the ATA if you don't know it" to his audience instructions. <sigh>

Lake Winnipesaukee is a beautiful spot. And before American Express made their commercial--in a TV studio, not on scene--about it (gratuitous pop culture connection to a geography question), it was where they filmed On Golden Pond.
Actually, the filming was nearby on a much smaller lake, Squam Lake. NH has many such lakes, all of which make for terrific summer vacationing along with the hikable mountains and gorgeous scenery within short drives of the lakes.

gs, sponsored by the New Hampshire Tourism Commission :D
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

MarleysGh0st

#9 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:58 am

gsabc wrote: Actually, the filming was nearby on a much smaller lake, Squam Lake.
D'oh! :oops:

Hey, I only spent one year in self-imposed exile in New Hampshire before moving back to Ithaca. :wink:

peacock2121

#10 Post by peacock2121 » Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:13 am

Before the choices were revealed, I said New Hampshire out loud. Then after they were revealed, I started to doubt why I knew that. I still do not know why I knew it - or.... thought I knew it.

summus123

#11 Post by summus123 » Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:33 am

Lena played a nearly flawless game. I'm happy she made it to a 6 figure amount. It's too bad she had to use the ATA and PAF on the same question. Otherwise, I am sure she would have made it to $250K.