Transcript 09/16/2008 Kathleen Bobrowski

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 09/16/2008 Kathleen Bobrowski

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:47 pm

Kathleen Bobrowski
Chapel Hill, NC
mom of 8-year-old girl, Tesia, who is a PAF and knows animals, she made a drawing of the set with her mom and Meredith.

Topic tree
Biography
Terminology
Painters
Foreign Titles
Composers
Japan
Kid Lit
Movie Releases
Geometry
Sports Terms
Beverages
Animal Names
The FTC
Do-It-Yourself
Children's Songs

$100- The Alphabet Song traditionally features the line "Now I know my" what?
A. 1-2-3s B. A-B-Cs
C. Do-Re-Mis D. IM screen name
Spoiler
B. A-B-Cs (7)
$200- Cutting aluminum foil into narrow strips is one way of creating what Christmastime staple?
A. Gingerbread house B. Snow globe
C. Tinsel D. Egg nog
Spoiler
C. Tinsel (9)
$300- In 2009, the FTC launched a campaign dubbed "Who's Calling?" to educate consumers about fraud perpetrated by whom?
A. Plumbers B. Telemarketers
C. Used-car salesmen D. Construction contractors

Lifeline used: Double-Dip
Spoiler
DD called at :03. First answer B. Telemarketers, correct, no additional time used
$500- If the animal name were replaced with a synonym, which of these would be a correct "alternate" name for the Bay of Pigs?
A. Bay of Fowl B. Bay of Curs
C. Bay of Serpents D. Bay of Swine
Spoiler
D. Bay of Swine (9)
$1000- Due to its potency, which of these beverages is typically served in small portions called "shots"?
A. Fruit punch B. Espresso
C. Iced tea D. Seltzer
Spoiler
B. Espresso (9)
Commercial break

Her brother Chuck came from CA to support her

$2000- Legend has it that a country club employee named "Buddy Mulligan" inspired a term now commonly used in what sport?
A. Golf B. Tennis
C. Skiing D. Squash
Spoiler
A. Golf (22)
$4000- Which of these types of triangles is always an acute triangle?
A. Right triangle B. Isoceles triangle
C. Equilateral triangle D. Obtuse

Lifelines used: ATA, Ask the Expert
Spoiler
ATA called at :22
A-22% B-43% C-28% D-7%

Ask the expert used at :19

Question shown to Ogi Ogas (live from his apt. in Boston)

Mere: you good at math Ogi?
Ogi: I'm alright. What do you think the answer is Kathleen?
Kathleen: You know what? I have no idea. I'm horrible at geometry, so, I know you are gonna know this. Help me out.
Mere: Don't mess with her Ogi!
Ogi: I'll be very embarrassed if I get this wrong. (laughs) Alright, I think the answer is probably.... D. I mean C.
Mere: What do you mean Ogi?
Ogi: It's C. Equilateral triangle.
Kathleen: How sure?
Ogi: The angle of an equilateral triangle is the same.. 60 degrees and they're all acute, so I'm pretty sure it is C.
Ogi: I'm 100% sure
Kathleen: So it's C
Ogi: It's C, equilateral triangle
Kathleen: Thank you
Mere: Alright, Ogi, thank you very much. He says, all kidding aside. I think he was messing with you a little bit there. Bad boy. But he says 100% for C. The audience obviously thought B was the right answer. You still have 19 seconds on this clock, and we're gonna start that back up now.
Kathleen: No offense to the audience, but C, final answer
C-Equilateral triangle (:15)
Commercial break

Next contestant name and face revealed: Marie Curren

$8000- Which of these "home" movies was released nationwide most recently?
A. Home Alone B. A Prairie Home Companion
C. Sweet Home Alabama D. Home Fries

PAF choices were Charles (father), Steven (husband), and Tesia (8-year-old daughter)

Lifeline used: PAF
Spoiler
PAF called at :19
PAF husband Steve guessing B. (A Prairie Home Companion)

However, Kathleen's hunch was C. She went with C, and that was incorrect leaving her with $1000.

Answer: B. A Prairie Home Companion (wrong answer given at :07)

Total Prize Money: $1000

frogman042
Bored Pun-dit

#2 Post by frogman042 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:32 pm

Spoiler
A-22% B-43% C-28% D-7%
I remember sitting in the audience trying my hardest not to yell out:
Spoiler
THE AUDIENCE IS WRONG!!! IT'S C!!! luckly she called on Ogi, unluckly she didn't listen to her husband!
---Jay

NellyLunatic1980

Re: Transcript 09/16/2008 Kathleen Bobrowski

#3 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:59 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Biography
Terminology
Painters
Foreign Titles
Composers
Japan
Kid Lit
Movie Releases
Geometry
Sports Terms
Beverages
Animal Names
The FTC
Do-It-Yourself
Children's Songs
Yikes! After geometry, I might be in big trouble.

But I got the $8K movie releases question right. I knew that "A Prairie Home Companion" came out within the last couple of years.

So a nihil obstat® for me up to this point.

earendel

#4 Post by earendel » Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:57 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Kathleen Bobrowski
Chapel Hill, NC
mom of 8-year-old girl, Tesia, who is a PAF and knows animals, she made a drawing of the set with her mom and Meredith.
She has an 8-year old as a PAF? I didn't think that would be allowed, and it's also a big risk, given that the likelihood of Kathleen needing a PAF at a level where the little girl could answer is slim.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$300- In 2009, the FTC launched a campaign dubbed "Who's Calling?" to educate consumers about fraud perpetrated by whom?

Spoiler
DD called at :03. First answer B. Telemarketers, correct, no additional time used
Perhaps I spoke too soon.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$4000- Which of these types of triangles is always an acute triangle?

Spoiler
A-22% B-43% C-28% D-7%

Ask the expert used at :19

Question shown to Ogi Ogas (live from his apt. in Boston)

Mere: you good at math Ogi?
Ogi: I'm alright. What do you think the answer is Kathleen?
Kathleen: You know what? I have no idea. I'm horrible at geometry, so, I know you are gonna know this. Help me out.
Mere: Don't mess with her Ogi!
Ogi: I'll be very embarrassed if I get this wrong. (laughs) Alright, I think the answer is probably.... D. I mean C.
Mere: What do you mean Ogi?
Ogi: It's C. Equilateral triangle.
Ogi: The angle of an equilateral triangle is the same.. 60 degrees and they're all acute, so I'm pretty sure it is C.
Ogi: I'm 100% sure
Kathleen: So it's C
Ogi: It's C, equilateral triangle
Kathleen: Thank you
Mere: Alright, Ogi, thank you very much. He says, all kidding aside. I think he was messing with you a little bit there. Bad boy. But he says 100% for C. The audience obviously thought B was the right answer. You still have 19 seconds on this clock, and we're gonna start that back up now.
Kathleen: No offense to the audience, but C, final answer
C-Equilateral triangle (:15)
OK, an acute angle is one that is less than 90 degrees, so that leaves out the right triangle. An isosceles triangle only has to have two sides of equal length and they could be connected by an obtuse (greater than 90 degrees) angle, and an obtuse triangle by definition has one such angle. Thus there's only one possible answer.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$8000- Which of these "home" movies was released nationwide most recently?

PAF choices were Charles (father), Steven (husband), and Tesia (8-year-old daughter)

Lifeline used: PAF
Spoiler
PAF called at :19
PAF husband Steve guessing B. (A Prairie Home Companion)

However, Kathleen's hunch was C. She went with C, and that was incorrect leaving her with $1000.

Answer: B. A Prairie Home Companion (wrong answer given at :07)
PHC came out only a couple years ago, the others are older than that.

The math question is the only really tricky one in the stack; I wonder if I would have been able to reason it out in the 30 seconds allotted.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

slam

#5 Post by slam » Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:25 am

I might have had a bit of problem with the "Home" movies one because I don't recall hearing of "Home Fries". I do know that "Prairie Home Companion" came out fairly recently (and even saw it) so I might have just bitten the bullet and gone for it. More likely, though, I'd have used my ATA.

The math one just points out yet again that it's a Kazoo world we live in. Mathphobia runs rampant everywhere.

MarleysGh0st

#6 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:43 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote: $300- In 2009, the FTC launched a campaign dubbed "Who's Calling?" to educate consumers about fraud perpetrated by whom?

And the clock costs another contestant another lifeline. I presume, if she wasn't down to 3 seconds, that she could have taken a deep breath, noticed that this was a $300 question and gone with the obvious.

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$8000- Which of these "home" movies was released nationwide most recently?
I didn't remember Home Fries (1998 with Drew Barrymore, says IMDB) but I knew PHC was only about a year old, so I'd have gone with that and saved all my lifelines.

MarleysGh0st

#7 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:46 am

frogman042 wrote:

Spoiler
A-22% B-43% C-28% D-7%
I remember sitting in the audience trying my hardest not to yell out:
Spoiler
THE AUDIENCE IS WRONG!!! IT'S C!!! luckly she called on Ogi, unluckly she didn't listen to her husband!
It's a very difficult situation to be in the audience and know that the rest of the audience has just dursted the contestant. I've wanted to shout that out, too.

silverscreenselect

#8 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:16 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
BBTranscriptTeam wrote: $300- In 2009, the FTC launched a campaign dubbed "Who's Calling?" to educate consumers about fraud perpetrated by whom?

And the clock costs another contestant another lifeline. I presume, if she wasn't down to 3 seconds, that she could have taken a deep breath, noticed that this was a $300 question and gone with the obvious.

I didn't remember Home Fries (1998 with Drew Barrymore, says IMDB) but I knew PHC was only about a year old, so I'd have gone with that and saved all my lifelines.
I drew a blank on Home Fries as well, which did minimal business (a $3 million opening weekend) when released (and it may not have gotten a full national release). In fact, when I saw the question (I didn't watch last night's show), I thought it was a typo and he meant "Home Fires."

With 30 seconds, I'd probably have done the same thing and figured if it was a release in the last year or so, I'd have remembered it even if it didn't get a wide release.

This is the type of question that would be a tough call-in game third question, even for most film buffs.