Transcript 9/17/08: Marie Curren (carryover)

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 9/17/08: Marie Curren (carryover)

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:24 pm

Marie Curren
Gulf Shores, AL

Her husband, Trim (I could be mishearing this) is with her. She spent her downtime in NYC biking around Central Park and having a picnic.

She has $2,000, and all four lifelines available. The category tree looks like this (parentheses indicate she's answered that level):

Abraham Lincoln
Famous Women
Artists
Television
First Aid
Dogs
Literature
The Military
Roman Numerals
(Musicians)
(Customs)
(Fantasy Movies)
(Brand Names)
(In the News)
(Famous Quotes)

$4,000 (Roman Numerals): Expressed in Roman Numerals, if Superman villain Lex Luthor had LX pieces of Kryptonite, how many pieces would he have?
A. 40 B. 60
C. 90 D. 110
Spoiler
B. 60 (17 sec. left)
$8,000 (The Military): "From the halls of Montezuma to the shores of Tripoli" is the first line of the official song of what branch of the U.S. Military?
A. Army B. Navy
C. Air Force D. Marine Corps
Spoiler
D. Marine Corps (18)
$16,000 (Literature): What classic character in American literature is himself the author of the novel "The World According to Bensenhaver"?
A. Atticus Finch B. Howard Roark
C. T.S. Garp D. Alex Portnoy

Marie uses the ATA with 20 sec. left.

A. Atticus Finch 18%
B. Howard Roark 7%
C. T.S. Garp 61%
D. Alex Portnoy 14%
Spoiler
Marie correctly goes with the audience, C. T.S. Garp (14)
COMMERCIAL BREAK

Marie's involved in rescuing animals, and her interest started after Hurricane Katrina. But she's also convinced Trim to build a Southern Mansion doghouse, columns and all. (Ed. Note: Convenient, considering the next category!)

$25,000 (Dogs): At the 2008 Westminster Kennel Club dog show, what breed of dog won Best in Show for the very first time?
A. Pug B. Beagle
C. Scottish Terrier D. Bulldog

Marie chooses to ATE with 19 sec. left.

Ogi says this is a tough one, but he can rule out Scottish Terrier, since he thinks it won before, and maybe the Beagle. He's not sure at all.

Marie then uses her PAF (17 sec. left). Her PAFs are:

Her friend George (Daphne, AL), an RV park owner
Her coworker Tabitha (Foley, AL)
And John (Mobile, AL), a website designer

She elects to call John.

John asks her to repeat the answers (after she's done so twice already) with 3 seconds left, and time runs out before she can. She leaves the DD on the table and leaves with $16,000.
Spoiler
B. Beagle

MarleysGh0st

Re: Transcript 9/17/08: Marie Curren (carryover)

#2 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:43 pm

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Marie's involved in rescuing animals, and her interest started after Hurricane Katrina. But she's also convinced Trim to build a Southern Mansion doghouse, columns and all. (Ed. Note: Convenient, considering the next category!)
Or not. :(

I recall that we discussed the Westminster Dog Show, with the victory of the humble beagle, here on the Bored. Too bad Ogi hasn't been around that much, lately!

Bob Juch

#3 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:53 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote:
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Marie's involved in rescuing animals, and her interest started after Hurricane Katrina. But she's also convinced Trim to build a Southern Mansion doghouse, columns and all. (Ed. Note: Convenient, considering the next category!)
Or not. :(

I recall that we discussed the Westminster Dog Show, with the victory of the humble beagle, here on the Bored. Too bad Ogi hasn't been around that much, lately!
I always memorize the Westminster winner each year as that's always an NTN question.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

NellyLunatic1980

#4 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:03 am

$8K: It's definitely not the Army or Air Force. Ask the audience.

$25K: I think that most of us on the Bored knew that this question would show up eventually. I paid attention to the posts concerning this year's dog show so I knew even before the choices came up that it was the beagle.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:She elects to call John.

John asks her to repeat the answers (after she's done so twice already) with 3 seconds left, and time runs out before she can.
<grumble>®... another disastrous PAF. I think MBFFB's head just exploded.

earendel

#5 Post by earendel » Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:34 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Marie Curren
Gulf Shores, AL

Her husband, Trim (I could be mishearing this) is with her. She spent her downtime in NYC biking around Central Park and having a picnic.
Good way to relax.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$16,000 (Literature): What classic character in American literature is himself the author of the novel "The World According to Bensenhaver"?
A. Atticus Finch B. Howard Roark
C. T.S. Garp D. Alex Portnoy

Marie uses the ATA with 20 sec. left.

A. Atticus Finch 18%
B. Howard Roark 7%
C. T.S. Garp 61%
D. Alex Portnoy 14%
Spoiler
Marie correctly goes with the audience, C. T.S. Garp (14)
Time to break out a lifeline and ATA.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$25,000 (Dogs): At the 2008 Westminster Kennel Club dog show, what breed of dog won Best in Show for the very first time?
A. Pug B. Beagle
C. Scottish Terrier D. Bulldog

Marie chooses to ATE with 19 sec. left.

Ogi says this is a tough one, but he can rule out Scottish Terrier, since he thinks it won before, and maybe the Beagle. He's not sure at all.

Marie then uses her PAF (17 sec. left). Her PAFs are:

Her friend George (Daphne, AL), an RV park owner
Her coworker Tabitha (Foley, AL)
And John (Mobile, AL), a website designer

She elects to call John.

John asks her to repeat the answers (after she's done so twice already) with 3 seconds left, and time runs out before she can. She leaves the DD on the table and leaves with $16,000.
Spoiler
B. Beagle
Every year this is discussed here on the Bored and I vow to try and remember, but I would have drawn a blank on this one. I'd probably have done the same thing that Marie did - ask Ogi first, then PAF. Once again the need to practice with one's PAFs is illustrated.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

MarleysGh0st

#6 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:39 am

Marie's newspaper gave her another short recap.

http://blog.al.com/live/2008/09/gulf_sh ... way_w.html

One online commenter questioned whether they should have done that. :roll: