Transcript 9/17/08: Walter Lindsey

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 9/17/08: Walter Lindsey

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:25 pm

Walter Lindsey
Account Representative
Richmond, VA

Walter has a very rich, deep voice, which he says he's had since he was 10. "It didn't do much for me then, but it's working now!" He was also a "dancing fool" back when disco was king. He entered a dance marathon, 12 straight hours of the Hustle. He ended up in the hospital because of it. His nephew Jason is in the audience.

His category tree:

U.S. History
Composers
Entertainers
Mythology
Animals
Biographies
Cartoon Characters
Movie Math
Hip-Hop
Coffee
Entrepreneurs
Advertising
Classic TV
Job Descriptions
Familiar Phrases

$100 (Familiar Phrases): Information that passes informally from one person to the next is often said to be "heard through the" what?
A. Grapevine B. Apple tree
C. Banana peel D. Us Weekly
Spoiler
A. Grapevine (7)
$200 (Job Descriptions): Which of these professionals commonly conducts business door-to-door?
A. Barber B. Salesman
C. Auto mechanic D. Dentist
Spoiler
B. Salesman (8)
$300 (Classic TV): On "Gilligan's Island," the S.S. Minnow's captain, Jonas Grumby, was better known by what nautical nickname?
A. The Skipper B. The Admiral
C. The Commodore D. The Ensign
Spoiler
A. The Skipper (7)
$400 (Advertising): In a memorable 1980s shampoo commercial, a glamorous woman pleads, "Don't hate me because I'm" what?
A. Single B. Intelligent
C. Beautiful D. Famous
Spoiler
C. Beautiful (7)
$1,000 (Entrepreneurs): In 1898, Swiss businessman Cesar Ritz established a now-famous what in Paris?
A. Hotel B. University
C. Auction house D. Department store
Spoiler
A. Hotel (7)
$2,000 (Coffee): "Shade-grown" coffee is considered environmentally friendly primarily because farmers can produce it without doing what?
A. Watering their crops B. Cutting down trees
C. Driving tractors D. Burning fossil fuels
Spoiler
B. Cutting down trees (19)
$4,000 (Hip-Hop): The Beastie Boys' album "To the 5 Boroughs" pays tribute to what U.S. city?
A. Boston B. Chicago
C. Miami D. New York City
Spoiler
D. New York City (23)
COMMERCIAL BREAK

Once played the Cowardly Lion in "The Wiz" and can still sing "Mean Ol' Lion" (and he does, very well).

$8,000 (Movie Math): The 2008 blockbuster "10,000 B.C." is set approximately how many decades ago?
A. 121 B. 1,201
C. 12,010 D. 120,100
Spoiler
Walter decides to ATE with 15 seconds left. Ogi says it's 12,000 divided by 10, then does the math for him and says "Yes, it's B....I'm 100% sure."

B. 1,201 (10)
HORN!

Walter will return tomorrow to go for the $16,000 question, with three lifelines left.

MarleysGh0st

Re: Transcript 9/17/08: Walter Lindsey

#2 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:48 pm

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Walter has a very rich, deep voice, which he says he's had since he was 10. "It didn't do much for me then, but it's working now!"

Contestant banter usually doesn't impress me, but I liked this line! :lol:

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$4,000 (Hip-Hop): The Beastie Boys' album "To the 5 Boroughs" pays tribute to what U.S. city?
A. Boston B. Chicago
C. Miami D. New York City

Will wonders never cease--I got a "hip-hop" question!!!

Granted, it seemed an awful lot like a geography question, to me. :wink:

Nihil obstat®

NellyLunatic1980

#3 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:19 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:U.S. History
Composers
Entertainers
Mythology
Animals
Biographies
Cartoon Characters
Movie Math
Hip-Hop
Coffee
Entrepreneurs
Advertising
Classic TV
Job Descriptions
Familiar Phrases
The first nine look good, and possibly the $250K entertainers question. I don't drink coffee, but it's a $2,000 question, so I might get lucky there. Everything else $25,000 and beyond looks problematic.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Once played the Cowardly Lion in "The Wiz" and can still sing "Mean Ol' Lion" (and he does, very well).
And this officially gives him What Else® status.

So far so good for me.

earendel

#4 Post by earendel » Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:44 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Walter Lindsey
Account Representative
Richmond, VA

Walter has a very rich, deep voice, which he says he's had since he was 10. "It didn't do much for me then, but it's working now!" He was also a "dancing fool" back when disco was king. He entered a dance marathon, 12 straight hours of the Hustle. He ended up in the hospital because of it. His nephew Jason is in the audience.
Another senseless disco-related injury.

I like the math question but it's a little complicated for the average person to try and work out in the 30 seconds (one reason I hate the clock). 10000 BC is roughly 12000 years ago, which is 1200 decades. The closest answer is B.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

MarleysGh0st

#5 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:34 am

earendel wrote:I like the math question but it's a little complicated for the average person to try and work out in the 30 seconds (one reason I hate the clock).
I also like these questions that can be figured out. We've seen so many contestants in past seasons who wouldn't try and reached for a lifeline, even with all the time they might need being available to them. These people have no chance at all, now.

And because they have to use the lifeline so quickly, choosing the ATA is dangerous because the audience doesn't have time to work the problem, either!

slam

#6 Post by slam » Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:59 am

earendel wrote:
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Walter Lindsey
Account Representative
Richmond, VA

Another senseless disco-related injury.

I like the math question but it's a little complicated for the average person to try and work out in the 30 seconds (one reason I hate the clock). 10000 BC is roughly 12000 years ago, which is 1200 decades. The closest answer is B.
I took a slightly different route. I just said 10,000 years is 1,000 decades and then saw that 1,201 was the only thing close. After all, nothing's actually happened in the last 2000 years, right? :)