Another big toy recall

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
earendel

Re: something else to watch out for

#26 Post by earendel » Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:53 am

themanintheseersuckersuit wrote:
earendel wrote:Our local alternative newspaper, the Louisville Eccentric Observer (LEO for short), had a short article that suggested lead in paint used in children's toys isn't the only thing to be worried about. Evidently chemical compounds called "phthalates" are used to make hard plastic soft so that it is suitable for use in things like pacifiers and can be molded into items like children's toys. Phthalates have been shown to reduce testosterone in the body, thus disrupting the development of boys. Most industrial countries have banned the use of phthalates in rattles, pacifiers and teething toys, but the US still permits their use.
But before emotions, fears and uncertainties get the better of us, let's turn to the scientific evidence. Are "detectible" amounts of a chemical -- in billionths of a gram -- "high"? Does its mere presence make it dangerous? And is this chemical even considered a danger to humans in the first place? No, no and no.

http://www.tcsdaily.com/article.aspx?id=062705E
Not trying to be argumentative or anything but the article addresses phthalates as carcinogens, not as having an effect on testosterone. Still the LEO tends to the left-wing extreme, so it should be taken with a grain of salt.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

themanintheseersuckersuit

#27 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:59 am

earendel wrote:
themanintheseersuckersuit wrote:
earendel wrote:Our local alternative newspaper, the Louisville Eccentric Observer (LEO for short), had a short article that suggested lead in paint used in children's toys isn't the only thing to be worried about. Evidently chemical compounds called "phthalates" are used to make hard plastic soft so that it is suitable for use in things like pacifiers and can be molded into items like children's toys. Phthalates have been shown to reduce testosterone in the body, thus disrupting the development of boys. Most industrial countries have banned the use of phthalates in rattles, pacifiers and teething toys, but the US still permits their use.
But before emotions, fears and uncertainties get the better of us, let's turn to the scientific evidence. Are "detectible" amounts of a chemical -- in billionths of a gram -- "high"? Does its mere presence make it dangerous? And is this chemical even considered a danger to humans in the first place? No, no and no.

http://www.tcsdaily.com/article.aspx?id=062705E
Not trying to be argumentative or anything but the article addresses phthalates as carcinogens, not as having an effect on testosterone. Still the LEO tends to the left-wing extreme, so it should be taken with a grain of salt.
For example, multiple rat studies published in Toxicology and Applied Pharmacology have found no effect on health or reproductive development through blood or inhalation exposure.
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#28 Post by silvercamaro » Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:59 am

peacock2121 wrote:Small independent toy stores just might make out well from all of this. There was a news story (local) this morning about these stores having letters saying there is no lead paint and so on.
Unless each small independent toy store has small independent laboratories running chemical analysis tests on every toy in stock, I don't see how they can be certain.

In every case of the recalls from the big toy manufacturers, the lead paint was used in violation of the manufacturers' contractual standards. It's always theoretically possible that corners are being cut by some small manufacturer closer to home, too.

minimetoo26
Royal Pain In Everyone's Ass

#29 Post by minimetoo26 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:10 am

silvercamaro wrote:
peacock2121 wrote:Small independent toy stores just might make out well from all of this. There was a news story (local) this morning about these stores having letters saying there is no lead paint and so on.
Unless each small independent toy store has small independent laboratories running chemical analysis tests on every toy in stock, I don't see how they can be certain.

In every case of the recalls from the big toy manufacturers, the lead paint was used in violation of the manufacturers' contractual standards. It's always theoretically possible that corners are being cut by some small manufacturer closer to home, too.
I read where the Aqua Dots were supposed to be made with a chemical that cost $9700 or so per metric ton, but the (Chinese) manufacturer substituted a chemical that cost $1300 per metric ton. So even if you contract for a safe thing, you don't always know what you end up with....

Appa23

#30 Post by Appa23 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:16 am

So, this is why my boy is so much more virile and studly than his 1st Grade classmates. :lol:

He never used a pacifier.

Actually, neither of our older children used a pacifier. PP sucked on her middle two fingers. He never had any kind of physical calming mechanism. Somehow, always was a happy baby, from the day that he came home.

The littlest one -- well, she must have her binkie. 'Cause if she ain't happy, ain't nobody gonna be happy.
Last edited by Appa23 on Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

minimetoo26
Royal Pain In Everyone's Ass

#31 Post by minimetoo26 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:25 am

Appa23 wrote: So, this is why my boy is so much more virile and studly than his 1st Grade classmates.

Actually, neither of our older children used a pacifier. PP sucked on her middle two fingers. He never had any kind of physical calming mechanism. Somehow, always was a happy baby, from the day that he came home.

The littlest one -- well, she must have her binkie. 'Cause if she ain't happy, ain't nobody gonna be happy.
The only one of my kids who DIDN'T use a pacifier was Rain Man....

wbtravis007

#32 Post by wbtravis007 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:51 pm

Appa23 wrote:
So, this is why my boy is so much more virile and studly than his 1st Grade classmates. :lol:

Okay, seersucker-man and Rexer. I'm deleting it. Sure don't want to offend anybody or anything.

Still, though, I think you're acting like a couple of girls.
Last edited by wbtravis007 on Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#33 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:52 pm

Hey, Skippy did you know there is a delete function now?
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

Rexer25
It's all his fault. That'll be $10.

#34 Post by Rexer25 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:07 pm

themanintheseersuckersuit wrote:Hey, Skippy did you know there is a delete function now?
Well, now that there's been a post after his, it can't be deleted. Editing is always an option.
Enough already. It's my fault! Get over it!

That'll be $10, please.

#35 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:38 pm

wbtravis007 wrote: Still, though, I think you're acting like a couple of girls.
On this bored that doesn't carry the same weight it might in a locker room, but Rexer and I can stand implication that we might have been exposed to endocrine disrupters in our youth. How's this for a school yard taunt. "You sucked plastic!"
Suitguy is not bitter.

Rexer25
It's all his fault. That'll be $10.

#36 Post by Rexer25 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:41 pm

wbtravis007 wrote:
Still, though, I think you're acting like a couple of girls.
Are not. Give me back my dolly, I'm going home to tell my mama. Don't throw dirt on my dress, you meanie.
Enough already. It's my fault! Get over it!

That'll be $10, please.

Appa23

#37 Post by Appa23 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:51 pm

wbtravis007 wrote:
Appa23 wrote:

Some commnet about chinamen being easier to raise than whities.
Hey, WBT, feel free to post your childish, unfunny schtick , if that is what floats your boat.

I guess that Dr. Tim and I should compare notes on our quiet, subservient china dolls. :roll:

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#38 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:18 pm

Appa23 wrote:He never used a pacifier.

Neither of my girls were given pacifiers, I always thought that they looked like plugs.

I wouldn't say that they were calm children either, Maddie was hell on wheels as a baby.

Maddie used Duckie as her calming object.
Emma had Ted. We offered her Blue Ted and Pink Ted, but she always preferred Blue Ted.

Image Image

wbtravis007

#39 Post by wbtravis007 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:22 pm

Holt-goose wrote:

Hey, WBT, feel free to post your childish, unfunny schtick , if that is what floats your boat.

I guess that Dr. Tim and I should compare notes on our quiet, subservient china dolls.

Forgive me for not being blessed with your awesome and seemingly effortless wit.

Let the hilarity ensue!

Chortle.