Another big toy recall

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

Another big toy recall

#1 Post by kayrharris » Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:08 am

Chinese made of course - Aqua Dots - I've never heard of them

Supposedly contains a chemical that turns into the same substance as the date rape drug when consumed. Of course they're not supposed to be consumed, but apparently they look a lot like jelly beans and kids put everything in the mouth.....

Here's a link:

http://tinyurl.com/2ly2uy

peacock2121

#2 Post by peacock2121 » Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:10 am

If I had small children today - they would be playing with nothing.

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#3 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:14 am

Jeff found out about the Aqua Dots last night at work.

Every year he hosts a CPC competition for other Toxicologists and is responsible for giving prizes.

We were able to find a site that was still selling the Aqua Dots and bought some for him to give out. :)

peacock2121

#4 Post by peacock2121 » Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:15 am

That is funny, in a very sick way.

Appa23

#5 Post by Appa23 » Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:18 am

OK. Here is the humorous part. Earlier this week, my wife had purchased an Aqua Dots set for PP as her last Christmas present.

We still have not shipped The Boy's Thomas trains back to the compnay for replacement. (Mainly to be played with by our grandchildren, since he rarely plays trains anymore.)

peacock2121

#6 Post by peacock2121 » Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:22 am

Appa23 wrote:OK. Here is the humorous part. Earlier this week, my wife had purchased an Aqua Dots set for PP as her last Christmas present.

We still have not shipped The Boy's Thomas trains back to the compnay for replacement. (Mainly to be played with by our grandchildren, since he rarely plays trains anymore.)
Girls don't play with trains?

MarleysGh0st

#7 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:25 am

Aqua Dots are supposed to be building blocks or something?

How could anyone develop these and not realize how much they look like candy? :shock:

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#8 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:26 am

Appa23 wrote:OK. Here is the humorous part. Earlier this week, my wife had purchased an Aqua Dots set for PP as her last Christmas present.
)

You can probably sell the Aqua Dots that you bought on eBay. :)

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#9 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:29 am

peacock2121 wrote:

Emma played with cars and trains. When Emma was little, my dad used to drive to Phoenix, where we were living, and take Emma to airplane museums. I hated going to airplane museums as a child (as did Maddie) and he was so happy to finally have family that shared his interests.

She was only two at the time, but she had a lot of fun. Afterwards he would take her to Carl's Junior for French Fries. No food, just french fries, because that's what grandparents are supposed to do.

peacock2121

#10 Post by peacock2121 » Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:32 am

Maybe it's just HoltDad's girls that don't play with trains.

Appa23

#11 Post by Appa23 » Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:52 am

peacock2121 wrote:

PP never has wanted to play with the trains.

If the youngest shows an interest, then we will pull them back out of storage.

Appa23

#12 Post by Appa23 » Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:57 am

PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote:
peacock2121 wrote:

Emma played with cars and trains. When Emma was little, my dad used to drive to Phoenix, where we were living, and take Emma to airplane museums. I hated going to airplane museums as a child (as did Maddie) and he was so happy to finally have family that shared his interests.

She was only two at the time, but she had a lot of fun. Afterwards he would take her to Carl's Junior for French Fries. No food, just french fries, because that's what grandparents are supposed to do.
PP loved playing cars ands monster trucks with her brother.

She did love playing house with baby dolls. Right now, she totally is into Webkinz, dress up clothes, jewelry, fake make-up, the art center, and anything involving writing (so she can be more like her big brother).

The youngest likes putting anything she can find into her mouth. :D

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#13 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:59 am

Appa23 wrote:
The youngest likes putting anything she can find into her mouth. :D

My oldest never outgrew that habit...

minimetoo26
Royal Pain In Everyone's Ass

#14 Post by minimetoo26 » Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:04 am

peacock2121 wrote:

We got the Thomas Train Table up in the attic, but we weren't cruel enough to take the trains away from Erin. She loves them. But she doesn't put things in her mouth. She will put unpopped popcorn kernels in her NOSE, but that's another story...

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#15 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:28 am

minimetoo26 wrote: But she doesn't put things in her mouth. She will put unpopped popcorn kernels in her NOSE, but that's another story...
Maddie did that with a popped popcorn kernel.

Jeff closed the other nostril and blew in her mouth and the kernel was blown out.

When Emma got a kernel stuck up her nose, Jeff tried the same thing but it didn't work because she started crying. The crying, after a while, made the kernel come out.

Bob Juch

#16 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:33 am

PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote:
minimetoo26 wrote: But she doesn't put things in her mouth. She will put unpopped popcorn kernels in her NOSE, but that's another story...
Maddie did that with a popped popcorn kernel.

Jeff closed the other nostril and blew in her mouth and the kernel was blown out.

When Emma got a kernel stuck up her nose, Jeff tried the same thing but it didn't work because she started crying. The crying, after a while, made the kernel come out.
Should have just put their heads in the microwave. :P

wbtravis007

#17 Post by wbtravis007 » Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:55 am

Whew! When I saw that header, I didn't even take the time to read the posts.

I just went ahead and told Madge to connect me right away with the boys in women's novelties*.

I've tried to caution them about the size of some of the items they've come up with lately, but they insist that there's still a demand, and that the famous quote about what does and doesn't matter isn't universally applicable.

*NTTWATOOWBT

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#18 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:01 pm

wbtravis007 wrote:Whew! When I saw that header, I didn't even take the time to read the posts.

I just went ahead and told Madge to connect me right away with the boys in women's novelties*.

I've tried to caution them about the size of some of the items they've come up with lately, but they insist that there's still a demand, and that the famous quote about what does and doesn't matter isn't universally applicable.

*NTTWATOOWBT
You are so weird. I mean that in a good way.

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#19 Post by kayrharris » Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:23 pm

We do these things when we miss you, Trav. It works every time. :)

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#20 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:11 pm

When the recall was announced, we had already placed an order for AquaDots on AsSeenOnTV.com. Friday night, they left a message wanting to make sure that we knew that there was a recall. They didn't have any refills left, but they could sell me the big sets as long as I could be sure that my kids would be responsible enough not to eat them. They wanted me to call back on Monday.

Yesterday Emma and I went to Target to buy supplies for 6th grade camp.
I noticed that there were three packages of Aqua Dot refills on the shelves, so I put them in my cart.

When it came time to pay for everything, a register alarm went off when the Dots were scanned and a manager came out and took them from our hands. I told her that my husband was using them for experiments, but she said that they are not allowed to sell them. They also paged everyone in Toys and told them to take the rest of them off the shelves.

I called AsSeenOnTV.com back today and told them they would probably think that it was strange, but my husband was a Toxicologist and wanted to do some experiments on the Dots. She told me that another Toxicologist had called and ordered some of the Dots, so she didn't think that it was strange at all.

Anyway, AquaDots are on their way to our house.

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#21 Post by kayrharris » Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:39 pm

I love this story!

Where else can you find someone who actually wants Aqua Dots? I think they should give them to you. Jmho.

thguy65

#22 Post by thguy65 » Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:05 pm

kayrharris wrote:I love this story!

Where else can you find someone who actually wants Aqua Dots? I think they should give them to you. Jmho.
I'd be concerned if frat boys were buying them in bunches for their parties. :wink:
Tim H.

- My other computer is Image

earendel

something else to watch out for

#23 Post by earendel » Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:21 am

Our local alternative newspaper, the Louisville Eccentric Observer (LEO for short), had a short article that suggested lead in paint used in children's toys isn't the only thing to be worried about. Evidently chemical compounds called "phthalates" are used to make hard plastic soft so that it is suitable for use in things like pacifiers and can be molded into items like children's toys. Phthalates have been shown to reduce testosterone in the body, thus disrupting the development of boys. Most industrial countries have banned the use of phthalates in rattles, pacifiers and teething toys, but the US still permits their use.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

peacock2121

#24 Post by peacock2121 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:33 am

Small independent toy stores just might make out well from all of this. There was a news story (local) this morning about these stores having letters saying there is no lead paint and so on.

It does annoy me that you can still buy the recalled stuff on e-bay.

themanintheseersuckersuit

Re: something else to watch out for

#25 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:46 am

earendel wrote:Our local alternative newspaper, the Louisville Eccentric Observer (LEO for short), had a short article that suggested lead in paint used in children's toys isn't the only thing to be worried about. Evidently chemical compounds called "phthalates" are used to make hard plastic soft so that it is suitable for use in things like pacifiers and can be molded into items like children's toys. Phthalates have been shown to reduce testosterone in the body, thus disrupting the development of boys. Most industrial countries have banned the use of phthalates in rattles, pacifiers and teething toys, but the US still permits their use.

But before emotions, fears and uncertainties get the better of us, let's turn to the scientific evidence. Are "detectible" amounts of a chemical -- in billionths of a gram -- "high"? Does its mere presence make it dangerous? And is this chemical even considered a danger to humans in the first place? No, no and no.

http://www.tcsdaily.com/article.aspx?id=062705E
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.