Transcript 09/19/08 Jackie Owhoso

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 09/19/08 Jackie Owhoso

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:25 pm

Jackie Owhoso
Gainesville, FL
Retired Social Worker

Topic Tree:
Authors
Web Sites
The Earth
Kid Lit
The Human Body
The Simpsons
Universities
Football
State Capitals
Religious Relics
Toiletries
The Oscars
Humor
Ice Cream
Vocabulary

$100 A person deemed a “naysayer” would most likely be given which of these nicknames?
A. Mr. Negative
B. Mr. Hungry
C. Mr. Fancy
D. Mr. Simon Cowell
Spoiler
A. Mr. Negative (8 )
$200 Which of these ice cream flavors does Baskin-Robbins list as a “seasonal flavor” and not a “permanent flavor”?
A. Chocolate
B. Pumpkin Pie
C. Vanilla
D. Rocky Road
Spoiler
B. Pumpkin Pie (10)
$300 According to an old joke, “If April showers bring May flowers, what do May flowers bring?
A. Milkmen
B. Cowboys
C. Golfers
D. Pilgrims

Meredith warns Jackie that she’s down to ten seconds.
At eight seconds, Jackie says “C golfers.”
Meredith: Final?
Jackie: I better ask the audience.
Three seconds left on the clock.

ATA

4% A. Milkmen
2% B. Cowboys
28% C. Golfers
66% D. Pilgrims

Spoiler
D. Pilgrims (2)
commercial break

$500 What Oscar-winning actress’s first and last names are both the last names of U.S. Civil War generals?
A. Glenda Jackson
B. Tatum O’Neal
C. Lee Grant
D. Reese Witherspoon
Spoiler
C. Lee Grant (8 )
$1K A depilatory is a lotion or cream applied to the surface of the skin to remove what?
A. Liver spots
B. Hair
C. Calluses
D. Scars
Spoiler
B. Hair (10)
Ogi Ogas is introduced as today’s expert.

$2K What Italian city is home to the cloth, or shroud, believed to have been worn by Jesus Christ at the time of his burial?
A. Naples
B. Turin
C. Genoa
D. Palermo

Jackie decides to PAF with seventeen seconds remaining.

Her PAF team consists of:
James, Jackie’s son and heavy equipment operator from Valrico, FL
Godwin, a friend from Newman, GA
Lawrence, a friend form Alachua, FL

PAF – Lawrence
Lawrence says Turin before Jackie finishes reading the question.

Spoiler
B. Turin (15)
commercial break

$4K Which of these three-letter codes is for a major U.S. airport that is not located in a state capital?
A. PHX
B. DEN
C. AUS
D. LAX
Spoiler
D. LAX (20)
$8K Including both the offense and defense, how many players are usually on the field during a college or pro football game?
A. 18
B. 22
C. 28
D. 32

With twenty-four seconds on the clock, Jackie asks to use the ATE.

Ogi: Jackie, I’m very sorry, but sports is not my forte. How you feeling there Jackie? Are you nervous?
Jackie: Since you said sports is not your forte, very nervous.
Ogi: Don’t worry. I do know the answer. It’s B.
Meredith: Which one is it?
Ogi: B, twenty-two. There’s eleven on each team, so the total’s twenty-two.

Spoiler
B. 22 (21)

commercial break

$16K In 2008, novelist Alice Walker visited her native state of Georgia to give a reading at which of the universities?
A. Tulane
B. Rice
C. Emory
D. Vanderbilt
Spoiler
C. Emory (23)
$25K In the classic episode of “The Simpsons” titled “Who Shot Mr. Burns,” who shot Mr. Burns?
A. Maggie Simpson
B. Ralph Wiggum
C. Comic Book Guy
D. Ned Flanders

Jackie doesn’t know and says she is taking the money as time runs out.
Spoiler
A. Maggie Simpson (0)
Answers:
$100 A. Mr. Negative
$200 B. Pumpkin Pie
$300 D. Pilgrims
$500 C. Lee Grant
$1K B. Hair
$2K B. Turin
$4K D. LAX
$8K B. 22
$16K C. Emory
$25K A. Maggie Simpson

Kazoo65

#2 Post by Kazoo65 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:03 pm

I thought she was gonna llama on the $300 question-the audience saved her! Guess she never heard of that joke.

This was a nihil obstat stack for me. I'd be looking at $25K with all LLs in place-and the next subject, "The Human Body" would be a good one for me-my dad was a doctor and there were LOTS of medical books around our house, which I would occassionally read for fun. LB putting a "Pre-Med" book in my BB portrait reminded me of that!
I'm just a game show nerd.

secondchance
Possum Hunter!

Re: Transcript 09/19/08 Jackie Owhoso

#3 Post by secondchance » Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:24 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Jackie Owhoso
Gainesville, FL
Retired Social Worker

$300 According to an old joke, “If April showers bring May flowers, what do May flowers bring?
A. Milkmen
B. Cowboys
C. Golfers
D. Pilgrims

ATA

4% A. Milkmen
2% B. Cowboys
28% C. Golfers
66% D. Pilgrims

Spoiler
D. Pilgrims (2)
Just another example of why the clock sucks... Jackie Owhoso appears to be a pretty bright lady. This new twist can induce a sort of panicked obligation to just say something before time runs out, without being given the time some might require to make sensible choices. If she had been allowed a reasonable span to review the question, even having likely never heard this joke before she would most probably have been able to figure it out, while not wasting a lifeline, as she'd have had the time to notice that the printed question actually appeared showing the second "Mayflowers" being one word, as opposed to the potentially misleading "May Flowers." In addition, Meredith didn't help matters by pronouncing "Mayflowers" as two separate words instead of as one- the way in which the writers had seemingly submitted for that very reason- to make it more obvious for those unfamiliar with the joke...

Same goes for poor Natalie Habig. This Russian immigrant was likely not familiar with the term "embalming", and had she just been given the time to think it over, and not felt compelled to make a clock-ticking, panic-inducing bad judgement call, she most likely would have at least considered using a lifeline.

I really, really hate the clock.

NellyLunatic1980

#4 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:54 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Authors
Web Sites
The Earth
Kid Lit
The Human Body
The Simpsons
Universities
Football
State Capitals
Religious Relics
Toiletries
The Oscars
Humor
Ice Cream
Vocabulary
At first glance, "The Simpsons" could pose a problem as I haven't been a regular watcher of that show in over 10 years. And I see that the producers have once again stuck an Internet-related question at the $500K level.

Luckily, I knew the "Simpsons" question before the choices came up as it was an episode that I saw.

Therefore, nihil obstat®.

earendel

#5 Post by earendel » Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:48 am

Gainesville, FL
Retired Social Worker
Our pastor likes to joke that our church has more social workers per capita than any other in the city. He might be right.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$300 According to an old joke, “If April showers bring May flowers, what do May flowers bring?
A. Milkmen
B. Cowboys
C. Golfers
D. Pilgrims

ATA

4% A. Milkmen
2% B. Cowboys
28% C. Golfers
66% D. Pilgrims

Spoiler
D. Pilgrims (2)
So he doesn't know the old joke? A lot of that depends upon how the person tells it - having to read it (seeing "May flowers" rather than hearing "Mayflowers") might make the difference.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$2K What Italian city is home to the cloth, or shroud, believed to have been worn by Jesus Christ at the time of his burial?
A. Naples
B. Turin
C. Genoa
D. Palermo

Jackie decides to PAF with seventeen seconds remaining.

Her PAF team consists of:
James, Jackie’s son and heavy equipment operator from Valrico, FL
Godwin, a friend from Newman, GA
Lawrence, a friend form Alachua, FL

PAF – Lawrence
Lawrence says Turin before Jackie finishes reading the question.

Spoiler
B. Turin (15)
I wouldn't say "worn" - more like "wrapped in".

So it's a nihil obstat® stack for me.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

MarleysGh0st

#6 Post by MarleysGh0st » Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:46 am

Second Chance wrote:
Gainesville, FL
Retired Social Worker

A. Milkmen
B. Cowboys
C. Golfers
D. Pilgrims

ATA

4% A. Milkmen
2% B. Cowboys
28% C. Golfers
66% D. Pilgrims

Spoiler
D. Pilgrims (2)
Just another example of why the clock sucks... Jackie Owhoso appears to be a pretty bright lady. This new twist can induce a sort of panicked obligation to just say something before time runs out, without being given the time some might require to make sensible choices. If she had been allowed a reasonable span to review the question, even having likely never heard this joke before she would most probably have been able to figure it out, while not wasting a lifeline, as she'd have had the time to notice that the printed question actually appeared showing the second "Mayflowers" being one word, as opposed to the potentially misleading "May Flowers." In addition, Meredith didn't help matters by pronouncing "Mayflowers" as two separate words instead of as one- the way in which the writers had seemingly submitted for that very reason- to make it more obvious for those unfamiliar with the joke...

Same goes for poor Natalie Habig. This Russian immigrant was likely not familiar with the term "embalming", and had she just been given the time to think it over, and not felt compelled to make a clock-ticking, panic-inducing bad judgement call, she most likely would have at least considered using a lifeline.

I really, really hate the clock.
Ditto.

Did it actually say "Mayflowers" in the question? I didn't notice that, didn't remember the joke offhand, and was reaching for a "logical" answer instead of the joke answer that wasn't immediately obvious to me. I might have reached for "golf" and llamaed on this, too, all because there's no longer any time to take a breath, re-read the choice and experience the "Duh!" moment.

<grumble>®

gsabc

#7 Post by gsabc » Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:22 am

I still think the clock was introduced for the same reason they had one at Play It! - to limit the time it took to get through a show or a taping. TPTB may rationalize it as "adding excitement" for the viewing audience, but I'll put down a bet right now that we see more lower-tier winners this year compared to last year.

Has anyone interrupted Meredith yet when she's reading the choices? They're ripping off 5-7 seconds per question from any player who makes it to the $1MM question, as unlikely as that has seemed so far this season. Either start the clock when she finishes reading, or give the player a buzzer to hit if they know the answer before the choices come up.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

MarleysGh0st

#8 Post by MarleysGh0st » Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:27 am

gsabc wrote:Has anyone interrupted Meredith yet when she's reading the choices?
IIRC, no one has.

rgcviper

Two items

#9 Post by rgcviper » Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:31 am

Two items:

1. The clock
On $300, Meredith "[warned] Jackie that she's down to ten seconds."
If Jackie had more time to think, she might have thought of this answer without the lifeline. I wish they had not added the clock this season ... it reduces contestants' thinking time and detracts from the appeal of the game's format.

2. The double dip
A number of contestants this season (three by my count) have walked away without using the double dip lifeline. Did they forget they had it? Or are they required to guess after committing to using the lifeline, as in "Super Millionaire"? I only keep up with the show online since I can't watch it when it's on, so I'm curious.

Appa23

#10 Post by Appa23 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:32 am

I hope that Ogi drops by. As I did not see the show, I am wondering if he Googled, or if he was just building the tension with the "sports is not my forte."

( I am thinking that it was the latter, as he seems to engage in a little conversation before revealing the answer.)

MarleysGh0st

Re: Two items

#11 Post by MarleysGh0st » Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:40 am

rgcviper wrote:2. The double dip
A number of contestants this season (three by my count) have walked away without using the double dip lifeline. Did they forget they had it? Or are they required to guess after committing to using the lifeline, as in "Super Millionaire"? I only keep up with the show online since I can't watch it when it's on, so I'm curious.
Yes, Meredith has explained that if they use the Double Dip, they're committed to answering the question and can't walk away. The DD is also considered a "unitary" lifeline, meaning that you can't stop to use another lifeline (if still available) in between taking your first and second DD guess.

MarleysGh0st

#12 Post by MarleysGh0st » Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:42 am

Appa23 wrote:I hope that Ogi drops by. As I did not see the show, I am wondering if he Googled, or if he was just building the tension with the "sports is not my forte."

( I am thinking that it was the latter, as he seems to engage in a little conversation before revealing the answer.)
Ogi has commented about his approach in a previous transcript thread:
viewtopic.php?t=9621

He wasn't googling, but he was playing for more thinking time.

MarleysGh0st

#13 Post by MarleysGh0st » Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:54 am

Here's an article about Jackie's appearance:

http://www.gainesville.com/article/2008 ... ertainment

peacock2121

#14 Post by peacock2121 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:39 am

The fourth (well now fifth) lifeline saved her butt. I have no doubt she heard the rumble from the audience before she answered the $300 question. Good for her for thinking on her feet and asking them.

madamemeisha

#15 Post by madamemeisha » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:53 am

gsabc wrote:
Has anyone interrupted Meredith yet when she's reading the choices? They're ripping off 5-7 seconds per question from any player who makes it to the $1MM question, as unlikely as that has seemed so far this season. Either start the clock when she finishes reading, or give the player a buzzer to hit if they know the answer before the choices come up.
I asked this question with you all in mind when I taped last week. You cannot interrupt her. I just focused on the questions and tuned her out as she read them. I think that extra 5 seconds could keep you from blurting out a distractor answer instead of the real one. She reads pretty quickly, too.

frogman042
Bored Pun-dit

#16 Post by frogman042 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:17 am

madamemeisha wrote:
gsabc wrote:
I asked this question with you all in mind when I taped last week. You cannot interrupt her emphasis added by JR. I just focused on the questions and tuned her out as she read them. I think that extra 5 seconds could keep you from blurting out a distractor answer instead of the real one. She reads pretty quickly, too.
I think you mistyped the line above because I was told that you could answer at any point that the clock had started counting down - including interrupting Meredith, althought they strongly urged people not to do that and I agree. You might gain a few seconds for the million dollar question but you do run the risk of blowing it by answering to soon just to bank those seconds. I agree that they don't want you to interrupt because it probably would make for not as good TV (although many game shows in the past had contestants jumping in before the question was finished and I think this would be a bit analogous to it) - but I think it is good strategy to wait as well. Sort of a penny-wise pound foollish trade-off. what good is the few seconds saved if you miss a question you would have gotten if you took just a few seconds more - just for the sake of trying to add those, now useless, seconds to the bank.

---Jay

Appa23

#17 Post by Appa23 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:30 am

frogman042 wrote:
madamemeisha wrote:
gsabc wrote:
I asked this question with you all in mind when I taped last week. You cannot interrupt her emphasis added by JR. I just focused on the questions and tuned her out as she read them. I think that extra 5 seconds could keep you from blurting out a distractor answer instead of the real one. She reads pretty quickly, too.
I think you mistyped the line above because I was told that you could answer at any point that the clock had started counting down - including interrupting Meredith, althought they strongly urged people not to do that and I agree. You might gain a few seconds for the million dollar question but you do run the risk of blowing it by answering to soon just to bank those seconds. I agree that they don't want you to interrupt because it probably would make for not as good TV (although many game shows in the past had contestants jumping in before the question was finished and I think this would be a bit analogous to it) - but I think it is good strategy to wait as well. Sort of a penny-wise pound foollish trade-off. what good is the few seconds saved if you miss a question you would have gotten if you took just a few seconds more - just for the sake of trying to add those, now useless, seconds to the bank.

---Jay
I am trying to remember how things were "back in the day".

I recall that the 4 answers popped up before Meredith began reading them? Is that still true? If so, then you would not be risking anything if you answered as soon as the answer appeared on the screen.

(In my recollection, I was waiting several times for Mere to finish reading so that I could tell her the answer. Probably was not the case, but . . .)

madamemeisha

#18 Post by madamemeisha » Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:32 am

I didn't mistype it. I specifically asked, "Can we interrupt her if we know the answer?" and they said, "No."

frogman042
Bored Pun-dit

#19 Post by frogman042 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:56 am

madamemeisha wrote:I didn't mistype it. I specifically asked, "Can we interrupt her if we know the answer?" and they said, "No."
That's odd because that is the opposite answer from what they told me, I specifically asked this as well. They said I could answer as long as the clock is counting down regardless of whether or not Meredith was still reading the answers, but strongly suggested that it would not be smart to do so.

I wonder if they changed the rules - I don't think it would be a wise thing to do but if you have a question with a lot of really long answers and you want to maximize your banked time, I don't think that it is fair counting down the clock but not letting you answer.

I wonder if any other HS'ers this season can chime in on their memory of the rules...

---Jay

MarleysGh0st

#20 Post by MarleysGh0st » Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:15 am

frogman042 wrote:I wonder if they changed the rules - I don't think it would be a wise thing to do but if you have a question with a lot of really long answers and you want to maximize your banked time, I don't think that it is fair counting down the clock but not letting you answer.
Gosh, if they would just update the rules on their website, we'd all be able to answer that question! And since they made you sign them--without letting you keep a written copy--it's apparent that they do have the new rules available.

Where's Skip the Intern?

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#21 Post by Bob78164 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:56 am

frogman042 wrote:
madamemeisha wrote:
gsabc wrote:

---Jay
Your point is well taken, but if I ever get the opportunity to play for real, I'll interrupt her (assuming you're correct about the rules).

I've been practicing interrupting her while watching on television. It's most valuable when I know the answer before seeing the choices -- all I need to do then is locate the correct answer and blurt it out. I've been saying both the letter and the choice itself to guard against a slip of the tongue. And I have yet to have an "oops" moment, though I have burned ATA unnecessarily once or twice.

Even when I don't know the answer before seeing the choices (for example, a "not" question), I still retain enough Jeopardy! skills to be able to select the correct answer (when I know it) long before she's finished reading the question. I've almost invariably said "final" within two seconds after the clock starts.

I'm also practicing to improve the speed and accuracy of my decision process when I don't know the answer -- I've needlessly burned ATA once or twice when a couple of seconds of reflection would have given me the answer. However, I've also been practicing scanning the topic tree to determine where in the middle tier I expect to want ATA. I don't remember whether, on those occasions, I've burned it before my expected need.

In short, although I'm sure their advice is well meant, for me, I think it would be the wrong advice and I will accept the risk of ignoring it. Your mileage may vary, of course. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

MarleysGh0st

#22 Post by MarleysGh0st » Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:08 pm

Bob78164 wrote:In short, although I'm sure their advice is well meant, for me, I think it would be the wrong advice and I will accept the risk of ignoring it. Your mileage may vary, of course. --Bob
If TPTB are concerned about how that would look, they can change their rules so that the clock doesn't start until Meredith finishes reading the question!

slam

#23 Post by slam » Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:08 pm

I don't know if this question has been addressed. Do you have the topic tree in front of you at all times?

As to the time issue, I probably wouldn't bother to interrupt Meredith if I ever got on the show. My process is similar to Bob's and I'd generally be able to safely interrupt her particularly on the 1st tier (but also on may 2nd tier questions also. But why bother? We're talking a relative few total seconds (maybe 2 or 3 per question for 5 to 10 questions - at most 30 seconds) and what's the probability I'll ever see the million dollar question? As pointed out by others, I think the value of those seconds in taking those extra few seconds to be sure (even when I "know" I'm right) is greater than their value on the million dollar question (multiplied by the probability of ever using them, of course).

gsabc

#24 Post by gsabc » Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:30 pm

slam wrote:But why bother? We're talking a relative few total seconds (maybe 2 or 3 per question for 5 to 10 questions - at most 30 seconds) and what's the probability I'll ever see the million dollar question?
That's just it. Watch the clock, and you'll see that Meredith takes 5-7 seconds a question to read the answers. I'll bet many of us here could easily get half the questions, or more, correct either without seeing the choices or within a second or two of their appearance. That's an additional 35-49 seconds tacked on to the basic minute (?) allowed for the $1MM question, plus the other time you've saved. That could be valuable time which is now gone by not being allowed to interrupt.

Probable or not, contestants should be playing as if they'll reach the top question. It's called "Who Wants to be a Millionaire", after all. I haven't seen too many players so far who act as if they're thinking beyond making it up to $25K.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

frogman042
Bored Pun-dit

#25 Post by frogman042 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:45 pm

slam wrote:I don't know if this question has been addressed. Do you have the topic tree in front of you at all times?

As to the time issue, I probably wouldn't bother to interrupt Meredith if I ever got on the show. My process is similar to Bob's and I'd generally be able to safely interrupt her particularly on the 1st tier (but also on may 2nd tier questions also. But why bother? We're talking a relative few total seconds (maybe 2 or 3 per question for 5 to 10 questions - at most 30 seconds) and what's the probability I'll ever see the million dollar question? As pointed out by others, I think the value of those seconds in taking those extra few seconds to be sure (even when I "know" I'm right) is greater than their value on the million dollar question (multiplied by the probability of ever using them, of course).
From where I sat in the audience I could tell that the contestant sees the category tree during the entier time - it never disappears until the game ends - then the whole screen goes to either black or to the logo.

---Jay