Transcript 09/22/08 Dave Plunkett

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 09/22/08 Dave Plunkett

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:31 pm

Dave Plunkett
Columbus, OH

Dave is 6’ 8”

Topic Tree:

The White House
The Supreme Court
Science
Alfred Hitchcock
Railroads
Artists
‘70s TV
Weights & Measures
Synonyms
Famous Faces
Automobiles
The Bible
Phrases
Famous Firsts
Landmarks

$100 To represent the seven seas and continents of the world, the Statue of Liberty is adorned with seven what?
A. Buttons on her robe
B. Tools in her toolbelt
C. Spikes in her crown
D. Handbags on her arm
Spoiler
C. Spikes in her crown ( 8 )
$200 What type of establishment is believed to have debuted in 1851, featuring a machine that could wash twelve shirts at a time?
A. Pizzeria
B. Laundromat
C. Bowling alley
D. Planetarium
Spoiler
B. Laundromat (9)
$300 Applied to competitors who are evenly matched, the phrase “neck and neck” derives form what sport?
A. Hunting
B. Sailing
C. Billiards
D. Horse racing
Spoiler
D. Horse racing (10)
$500 In the Bible, the Old Testament figure Samson was sapped of his extraordinary strength when he lost his what?
A. Hair
B. Belt
C. Shield
D. Ring
Spoiler
A. Hair (10)
$1K Introduced by Toyota in 2000, the Prius is well-known for having what progressive feature?
A. Hybrid-powered engine
B. Built-in baby seats
C. Detachable roof
D. Sliding side doors
Spoiler
A. Hybrid-powered engine (7)
commercial break

Dave has been married a year to Holly. She’s 5’ 4” and the boss of the marriage.

Meredith introduces today’s ATE expert, Sam Geenfeld, former “Millionaire” $100K winner.

$2K Which of the following best describes the unique personal style for which pun-loving film critic Gene Shalit is famous?
A. Baseball cap, long beard
B. Bow tie, bushy mustache
C. Tuxedo, bald head
D. Sunglasses, ponytail

At fourteen seconds, Dave asks to ATE.

Sam: It is B.

Spoiler
B. Bow tie, bushy mustache (12)
$4K The name of a famous New York City street, “Madison Avenue” is often used as a synonym for what industry?
A. Advertising
B. Insurance
C. Journalism
D. Technology
Spoiler
A. Advertising (20)
$8K Fabric is often sold in rolls called what?
A. Bales
B. Cords
C. Tubes
D. Bolts

Dave feels really good about it, but would like to ATA. Seventeen seconds remain.

ATA

7% A. Bales
12% B. Cords
5% C. Tubes
76% D. Bolts

Spoiler
D. Bolts (16)
commercial break

$16K On the 1970s sitcom “Good Times,” which of these characters was not one of the three children of James and Florida Evans?
A. Michael
B. J.J.
C. Penny
D. Thelma

Dave decides to PAF, stopping the clock at sixteen seconds.
Dave’s PAF team includes:
David, a friend from Westerville, OH
Anna, a friend form Columbus, OH
David, Dave’s uncle from Acushnet, MA

PAF – friend David

David says that he’s never really seen the show. He thinks J.J. and Michael are Evans’ children, but he’s not sure.

Dave lets the time run out. He leaves with $8K.

Spoiler
C. Penny (0)
commercial break

Answers:
$100 C. Spikes in her crown
$200 B. Laundromat
$300 D. Horse racing
$500 A. Hair
$1K A. Hybrid-powered engine
$2K B. Bow tie, bushy mustache
$4K A. Advertising
$8K D. Bolts
$16K C. Penny

Kazoo65

#2 Post by Kazoo65 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:56 pm

OK up to the $16K question. I'd either ATA or ATE here. No idea on 70's TV.

I think he wasted his lifelines. I don't think he understood how to use them properly.
I'm just a game show nerd.

frogman042
Bored Pun-dit

#3 Post by frogman042 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:51 pm

You forget to mention what happened just before the second commercial break - now that the dog is out of the bag.

---Jay

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#4 Post by kayrharris » Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:54 pm

What happened?
"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest. "
Benjamin Franklin

NellyLunatic1980

Re: Transcript 09/22/08 Dave Plunkett

#5 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:00 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:The White House
The Supreme Court
Science
Alfred Hitchcock
Railroads
Artists
‘70s TV
Weights & Measures
Synonyms
Famous Faces
Automobiles
The Bible
Phrases
Famous Firsts
Landmarks
First nine topics look good. After that, only on the science question can I claim any confidence.

I thought that Dave would've double-dipped on $16K as his PAF got it narrowed down to two for him.

Nihil obstat® for me, though.

frogman042
Bored Pun-dit

#6 Post by frogman042 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:28 am

Just before the 2nd commercial break they had a promo about the exciting changes including ask the expert and showed videos of 4 experts - one (or two) of which was a topic in its own thread, basically Hermillion and Josie (which I'm assuming is Nancy's dog) made a brief appearence. I thought it would be nice ot include the names of the experts they displayed, espcially Nancy's, in the transcript.

---Jay

earendel

#7 Post by earendel » Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:03 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Dave Plunkett
Columbus, OH

Dave is 6’ 8”
What's that old saw about "the bigger they are..."?
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$2K Which of the following best describes the unique personal style for which pun-loving film critic Gene Shalit is famous?
A. Baseball cap, long beard
B. Bow tie, bushy mustache
C. Tuxedo, bald head
D. Sunglasses, ponytail

At fourteen seconds, Dave asks to ATE.

Sam: It is B.

Spoiler
B. Bow tie, bushy mustache (12)
Anyone who has seen Gene Shalit would remember this.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$8K Fabric is often sold in rolls called what?
A. Bales
B. Cords
C. Tubes
D. Bolts

Dave feels really good about it, but would like to ATA. Seventeen seconds remain.

ATA

7% A. Bales
12% B. Cords
5% C. Tubes
76% D. Bolts

Spoiler
D. Bolts (16)
Dave, you just blew a lifeline, never a good idea.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$16K On the 1970s sitcom “Good Times,” which of these characters was not one of the three children of James and Florida Evans?
A. Michael
B. J.J.
C. Penny
D. Thelma

PAF – friend David

David says that he’s never really seen the show. He thinks J.J. and Michael are Evans’ children, but he’s not sure.

Spoiler
C. Penny (0)
I don't know if ATE would have helped; PAF might have done so but this is an older show. As for me I thought it might have been Michael. I'd have gone with ATA first and if I didn't like the results, then PAF. A Google PAF could pull this up relatively quickly.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

slam

#8 Post by slam » Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:52 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote: $16K On the 1970s sitcom “Good Times,” which of these characters was not one of the three children of James and Florida Evans?
A. Michael
B. J.J.
C. Penny
D. Thelma

PAF – friend David

This is the type of question that could trip you up if you have just enough familiarity with the show to think you know it, but don't really. Penny (played by Janet Jackson) was a cousin of J.J., Thelma and Michael who joined the cast for a few seasons late in the show's run. I've seen many, many episodes of this show but still had to think through the Thelma/Penny decision. After a bit of thought, I could hear in my head J.J. yelling out "Thelma" which he frequently did. So, I knew the right answer. It's conceivable that if I were in the Hot Seat I might have panicked and reached for the Double Dip since I was immediately certain it wasn't J.J. or Michael.

gsabc

#9 Post by gsabc » Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:56 am

slam wrote:
BBTranscriptTeam wrote: $16K On the 1970s sitcom “Good Times,” which of these characters was not one of the three children of James and Florida Evans?
A. Michael
B. J.J.
C. Penny
D. Thelma
This is the type of question that could trip you up if you have just enough familiarity with the show to think you know it, but don't really. Penny (played by Janet Jackson) was a cousin of J.J., Thelma and Michael who joined the cast for a few seasons late in the show's run. I've seen many, many episodes of this show but still had to think through the Thelma/Penny decision. After a bit of thought, I could hear in my head J.J. yelling out "Thelma" which he frequently did. So, I knew the right answer. It's conceivable that if I were in the Hot Seat I might have panicked and reached for the Double Dip since I was immediately certain it wasn't J.J. or Michael.
My thinking exactly. ATA might have ended up as a Durst for that reason. Nasty question. I would have wanted more than the alloted 30 seconds.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

MarleysGh0st

#10 Post by MarleysGh0st » Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:13 am

slam wrote:
A. Michael
B. J.J.
C. Penny
D. Thelma

PAF – friend David

Whoa, I didn't remember there being a Penny on the show--that makes it kinda nasty for this level, doubly so under the pressure of the clock.

And we should note that this is another stack where Dave left his Double Dip on the table (we ought to start keeping statistics on how often that happens). Since David had hesitantly identified both Michael and JJ, this would have been a reasonably low-risk opportunity to use it!

Particularly since he was only risking $7K at this point, for $16K and the chance to continue!

peacock2121

#11 Post by peacock2121 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:43 am

I had no memory of Penny. I knew the siblings and Thelma was the sister - so it had to be Penny as the odd girl out.