Transcript 09/23/2008 Allison Gray (carryover contestant)

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 09/23/2008 Allison Gray (carryover contestant)

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:44 pm

Allison Gray
Gorham, ME
Labor & delivery nurse

Expecting her third child
Was a 17-year-old HS dropout when pregnant with her first, and says the midwife who helped her also inspired her to go back to school and become a nurse. Wants to open a birth center if she wins the million.

Topic Tree:

Brainiacs
Big Words
Celebrities
First Ladies
The Human Body
The American Flag
Art Terms
Book Titles
Medical Tests
(Latin)
(Animals)
(Canada)
(Brand Names)
(Classic Songs)
(The Internet)

Expert introduced: Sam Greenfield, former “Millionaire” $100K winner.

$4000- A "tox screen" is a medical test commonly used to examine the components of which of the following?
A. Skin B. Blood
C. Bone D. Teeth
Spoiler
B. Blood (23)
$8000- A classic 1969 work by poet Maya Angelou is titled "I Know Why the Caged Bird" what?
A. Sings B. Sleeps
C. Nests D. Cries
Spoiler
A. Sings (24)

$16K- The term "provenance" is used in the art world to refer to a painting's what?
A. Color scheme B. Estimated value
C. Ownership history D. Physical condition

Lifeline used: ATA
Spoiler
ATA used at :21
Result A-15% B-13% C-66% D-6%

C. Ownership history [18]

Commercial Break

Allison's husband Casey is in the audience. Mere asks who is more nervous and Casey says he probably is.

Mere points out a human body category is coming soon, good for a nurse.

$25K- Traditional flag etiquette dictates that the U.S. flag should never be flown upside down except to signal what?
A. An emergency B. The death of a general
C. A declaration of war D. A military surrender

Lifelines used: Expert then PAF
Spoiler
Expert called at :15 - says either A or C and would guess C
PAF called at :12, her father Lawrence from Scarborough, ME (Other PAF choice was friend Glenn from South Portland, ME, she only had two PAFs)
PAF is sure it is A.

Answer: A. An emergency (6)

$50K- Where is your philtrum?
A. In your intestines B. Beneath your kneecap
C. In the back of your throat D. Above your upper lip

Lifeline used: Double Dip
Spoiler
DD called at :28 of :45 clock
She says her knowledge is more the lower part of the body. She guesses C but that is wrong.
Clock starts up and she guesses correctly out of the remaining 3

D. Above your upper lip (:24)
Commercial Break

$100K- Only twenty-one when she moved into the White House, who was the youngest First Lady in U.S. history?
A. Julia Tyler B. Grace Coolidge
C. Frances Cleveland D. Dolley Madison

Walk with $50K
Spoiler
She decided quickly that she had no idea and would walk.

C. Frances Cleveland (clock disappeared, was :27 when she decided to walk)

NellyLunatic1980

Re: Transcript 09/23/2008 Allison Gray (carryover contestant

#2 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:12 am

$16K: Never heard of this word. I would've also tried the audience.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$50K- Where is your philtrum?
A rewrite of one of Adam West's questions from Celebrity Millionaire.

$100K: I know that Julia Tyler and Frances Cleveland were the second wives of the respective presidents. Both were very young when they married. Double Dip on those two answers.

MarleysGh0st

#3 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:51 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$25K- Traditional flag etiquette dictates that the U.S. flag should never be flown upside down except to signal what?

Spoiler
PAF called at :12, her father Lawrence from Scarborough, ME (Other PAF choice was friend Glenn from South Portland, ME, she only had two PAFs)
PAF is sure it is A.

That was a narrow avoidance of an expert dursting, there! I wonder where Sam got the idea that a declaration of war was the right answer?

When Allison made her PAF call, Glenn gave his answer quickly, but Meredith terminated the call with 11 seconds still left on the PAF clock! It appeared that Allison and Glenn had finished their conversation, but they hadn't actually said "Good bye" and they might have used that remaining time to discuss how sure he was about his answer. Bad Meredith!

I thought I had seen that philtrum question before. Thanks for confirming that, Nelly.

gsabc

#4 Post by gsabc » Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:05 am

*sigh* Another dream stack for me. No lifeline use until the $100K. Not an ATA question by any stretch. PAF with Google and/or good with Presidential history.

If I get by that and the Celebrities category next, I'd feel good hitting Big Words. Oh well. My turn and dream stack will come.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

earendel

#5 Post by earendel » Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:22 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Allison Gray
Gorham, ME
Labor & delivery nurse

Expecting her third child
Was a 17-year-old HS dropout when pregnant with her first, and says the midwife who helped her also inspired her to go back to school and become a nurse. Wants to open a birth center if she wins the million.
Good for her in making good out of bad.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$16K- The term "provenance" is used in the art world to refer to a painting's what?

Lifeline used: ATA
Spoiler
ATA used at :21
Result A-15% B-13% C-66% D-6%
C. Ownership history [18]
Time for a lifeline because I thought "provenance" referred to the historical milieu and style of the painting, and none of the answers fits. Good thing the audience knows its art.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$25K- Traditional flag etiquette dictates that the U.S. flag should never be flown upside down except to signal what?

Spoiler
PAF is sure it is A.

Of course I don't expect the expert to know everything, but I thought this was a generally-known fact.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$50K- Where is your philtrum?

Lifeline used: Double Dip
Spoiler
DD called at :28 of :45 clock
She says her knowledge is more the lower part of the body. She guesses C but that is wrong.
Clock starts up and she guesses correctly out of the remaining 3

D. Above your upper lip (:24)
Allison's comment was funny.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$50K- Only twenty-one when she moved into the White House, who was the youngest First Lady in U.S. history?
A. Julia Tyler B. Grace Coolidge
C. Frances Cleveland D. Dolley Madison

Walk with $50K
Spoiler
She decided quickly that she had no idea and would walk.

C. Frances Cleveland (clock disappeared, was :27 when she decided to walk)
This is where an ATE or PAF lifeline would be very useful if one didn't know the answer. It's one of those "presidential trivia" questions that you either know or you don't.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

MarleysGh0st

#6 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:35 am

earendel wrote:
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$16K- The term "provenance" is used in the art world to refer to a painting's what?
Time for a lifeline because I thought "provenance" referred to the historical milieu and style of the painting, and none of the answers fits. Good thing the audience knows its art.
You may see the word in articles about your run-of-the-mill art theft, but it particularly comes up regarding the massive art thefts of the Nazis during WWII, with the court cases of families trying to regain some of those artworks.

slam

#7 Post by slam » Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:43 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
earendel wrote:
You may see the word in articles about your run-of-the-mill art theft, but it particularly comes up regarding the massive art thefts of the Nazis during WWII, with the court cases of families trying to regain some of those artworks.
That's where I had mostly heard the word also.

MarleysGh0st

#8 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:49 am

Here's an article about Allison's appearance.

http://www.keepmecurrent.com/Community/ ... ryID=58582
She said she signed up for the show after seeing listings for auditions on the show's Web site. She e-mailed the show's producers her e-mail, and they sent an audition date back. She and her husband drove to New York City for a June 30 audition where she had to pass a written exam, interview with producers then take a screen test.

"They told me they would let me know in a few weeks if I had earned a spot on the show," Gray said. "Then they called me two days later and offered me a spot."

peacock2121

#9 Post by peacock2121 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:29 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
earendel wrote:
Beedums taught me this word.

I still can't pronounce it like he does.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#10 Post by Bob78164 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:24 am

I'm glad she did well.

But man, this was my dream stack. I've got $100,000 in my pocket with all four lifelines still available. I don't think I've had a stack match my knowledge base this well since Jeff Gross's. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

vettech

#11 Post by vettech » Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:16 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote:
earendel wrote:
There was a crime drama episode (Numb3rs?) I saw that was about this very subject. Otherwise, I wouldn't have known it.

tanstaafl2

#12 Post by tanstaafl2 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:06 pm

Unusual to see a stack that caused no problems at all for me. Usually there is at least 1 Q on recent pop culture about which I have no clue. Of course I don't remember off hand the first 6 Q's she had but I wouldn't have needed a lifeline for any of these anyway.
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
Ne Illegitimi Carborundum
Cumann na gClann Uí Thighearnaigh

ne1410s

#13 Post by ne1410s » Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:16 pm

Don't nobody nowhere watch "Antiques Roadshow"? :roll:
"When you argue with a fool, there are two fools in the argument."

frogman042
Bored Pun-dit

#14 Post by frogman042 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:21 pm

ne1410s wrote:
Don't nobody nowhere watch "Antiques Roadshow"? :roll:
I also remember it from the film 'Who the %*#$ is Jackson Pollack'

---Jay