Transcript 10/29/2014 Kristina Salaverry

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 10/29/2014 Kristina Salaverry

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:57 pm

Kristina Salaverry
New York, NY

Periodontist

Wants to add a spa to her office so her patients can relax, get a massage, have their nails done, and be in a better frame of mind for their dental work.

+1 is her husband David

Question 1 -
Partly inspired by "The Simpsons," what minor league baseball team's name is fitting, given its proximity to Los Alamos National Laboratory?
A. The Toledo Mud Hens B. The Lancaster JetHawks
C. The Albuquerque Isotopes D. The Mesa Solar Sox

Spoiler
hasn't seen all of the Simpsons but figured out the answer based on Los Alamos being in New Mexico
Answer and value
C. The Albuquerque Isotopes
Value: $3000
Bank: $3000

Question 2 -
By recently enrolling as a freshman at the University of Michigan, Lourdes Leon is following in whose famous footsteps?
A. Her brother, Shia LaBeouf B. Her cousin, Eva Longoria
C. Her mother, Madonna D. Her grandfather, Al Pacino
Answer and value
C. Her mother, Madonna
Value: $1000
Bank: $4000

Question 3 -
If you act in a domineering way towards someone, it can be said you're giving them what "royal" treatment?
A. Lording it over them B. Princing it under them
C. Monarching about them D. Archduking up on them
Answer and value
A. Lording it over them
Value: $25K!
Bank: $29K
First break

Question 4 -
Locals have been flocking to Rachel's Country Store in Newburg, PA to buy "bonnet rippers," or books in what genre?
A. Bilingual Sci-Fi B. Amish Romance
C. Gay Mystery D. Large-Print Fantasy
Answer and value
B. Amish Romance
Value: $15K!
Bank: $44K

Question 5 -
What geographic feature in Los Altos, CA lends its name to the software company famous for making Photoshop?
A. Facebook Mountain B. Adobe Creek
C. Microsoft Ridge D. Google Gulch
+1
Kristina: Knows photoshop is not Google or Facebook and thinks it is Adobe.
Expressed worry about Microsoft and called her husband down as the +1
He said he believed she is right about Adobe
Answer and value
B. Adobe Creek
Value: $2000
Bank: $46K

Question 6 -
What 1980s hit song takes its title from a quote by Indian mystic and sage Meher Baba?
A. Don't Worry, Be Happy B. Heaven is a Place on Earth
C. Every Rose Has its Thorn D. Open Your Heart
Spoiler
A. 51% B. 25%
C. 17% D. 7%
Answer and value
A. Don't Worry, Be Happy
Value: $5000
Bank: $51K
Question 7 -
Dunkin' Donuts makes all but which of the following items?
A. Donut-flavored coffee B. Coffee-flavored donuts
C. Peach-flavored iced tea D. Iced tea-flavored peaches
Answer and value
D. Iced tea-flavored peaches
Value: $7K
Bank: $58K
Second break and promo for "Millionaire Whiz Kids" next week

Question 8 -
Washington, D.C., 1968: A young Hillary Clinton works as an intern for what Republican House Minority Leader who would later become President?
A. Ronald Reagan B. Dwight Eisenhower
C. George H.W. Bush D. Gerald Ford
JTQ
Kristina narrowed it to A and D but not further. When the answer was revealed, she said she was leaning that way.
Answer and value
D. Gerald Ford
Value: $500 jumped

Question 9-
If you're doing Russian twists with your kettlebells, what are you doing?
A. Cooking B. Sewing
C. Exercising D. Gardening
Answer and value
C. Exercising
Value: $100
Bank: $58100
Third break

QotD
So they both don't fall ill, an airline pilot and copilot are often given what?
A. Non-perishable foods B. Pre-tasted food
C. Different meals D. Chicken soup
QotD answer
C. Different meals
Question 10 -
You can land the day before you took off if you take a flight east from Auckland, New Zealand to which of these destinations?
A. Seychelles B. Azores
C. American Samoa D. Mauritius
Spoiler
Kristina first said she thought American Samoa was west of New Zealand
She was thinking A or D but can't really rule out B
Terry asked her if she is a risk taker and she said yes but wished she has a better idea or some of those lifelines
She is leaning towards A.
She went back and forth between walking ($29050) and going with A.
A, Seychelles, final answer
Answer and value
C. American Samoa
Value: known to be $10K
Bank: Consolation $1000

Time's up, no carryover or audience contestant

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

Re: Transcript 10/29/2014 Kristina Salaverry

#2 Post by SportsFan68 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:26 pm

Question 1 -
Partly inspired by "The Simpsons," what minor league baseball team's name is fitting, given its proximity to Los Alamos National Laboratory?
A. The Toledo Mud Hens B. The Lancaster JetHawks
C. The Albuquerque Isotopes D. The Mesa Solar Sox

Spoiler
hasn't seen all of the Simpsons but figured out the answer based on Los Alamos being in New Mexico
Answer and value
C. The Albuquerque Isotopes
Value: $3000
Bank: $3000
Used to be the Albuquerque Dukes, for the Duke of Albuquerque, but they moved to Seattle or someplace. I haven't seen the Isotopes play yet.
Question 8 -
Washington, D.C., 1968: A young Hillary Clinton works as an intern for what Republican House Minority Leader who would later become President?
A. Ronald Reagan B. Dwight Eisenhower
C. George H.W. Bush D. Gerald Ford
JTQ
Kristina narrowed it to A and D but not further. When the answer was revealed, she said she was leaning that way.
Answer and value
D. Gerald Ford
Value: $500 jumped
I was pretty sure, but not sure enough to go for it. JTQ.
Question 10 -
You can land the day before you took off if you take a flight east from Auckland, New Zealand to which of these destinations?
A. Seychelles B. Azores
Spoiler
Terry asked her if she is a risk taker and she said yes but wished she has a better idea or some of those lifelines
Answer and value
C. American Samoa
This was frustrating. She builds up this nice bank, admits she doesn't know where the Azores are, admits she's not all that clear on where they Seychelles are, and picks them anyway! Oh well.

Plus One for me, walk if she or he doesn't know it.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

earendel

#3 Post by earendel » Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:58 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Kristina Salaverry
New York, NY

Periodontist

Wants to add a spa to her office so her patients can relax, get a massage, have their nails done, and be in a better frame of mind for their dental work.

+1 is her husband David
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Question 10 -
A. Seychelles B. Azores
Spoiler
Answer and value
C. American Samoa
Technically any of these could be the answer if you fly far enough eastward. I think I'd JTQ here.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

ghostjmf

#4 Post by ghostjmf » Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:56 pm

Q6: Are b, c & d songs? I admit I don't know. My strong guess is a, but I'd JTQ here.

Q7: I have never seen donut-flavored coffee there. I have also never seen any kind of peaches there. So I go for the peaches.

Q10: I have to remember where NZ is in relation to all these other places. I have to remember the plane's flying east. I have to remember where the flipping dateline is (I know it cuts through the Pacific). But I draw a complete blank on where the Seychelles are. Which doesn't actually matter because I'm fairly sure Samoa is the answer. But ask my +1 to come down.

ghostjmf

#5 Post by ghostjmf » Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:43 am

Everything I've looked up puts American Samoa on the same side of the dateline as NZ. American Samoa intentionally "jumped the dateline" in 2011 so as to be on the same day as Australia & NZ, because they do business with them, because Australia & NZ have large expatriate Samoan communities, say the sources. And AS is east of NZ. So if you fly east & land in AS you're on the same day. Unless you fly all the way around the world to intentionally cross it. What am I missing here? This stuff always messes with my head, anyway.

jarnon

#6 Post by jarnon » Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:40 am

ghostjmf wrote:Everything I've looked up puts American Samoa on the same side of the dateline as NZ. American Samoa intentionally "jumped the dateline" in 2011 so as to be on the same day as Australia & NZ, because they do business with them, because Australia & NZ have large expatriate Samoan communities, say the sources. And AS is east of NZ. So if you fly east & land in AS you're on the same day. Unless you fly all the way around the world to intentionally cross it. What am I missing here? This stuff always messes with my head, anyway.
I also researched this. Samoa changed sides in 2011, just as you said, but American Samoa didn't go along. So the Date Line is now in between Samoa and American Samoa.

What surprised me is how far east New Zealand is, just west of the 180º meridian. So to get from Auckland to American Samoa, you'd fly north and (importantly) a bit east.

Also, you'll need a private plane (or Gandalf's eagle), since there are no commercial flights from Auckland to American Samoa.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

ghostjmf

#7 Post by ghostjmf » Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:47 pm

Great, so I got what I read exactly backwards? With dateline stuff, it figures. At least now I know where the Seychelles are (Indian Ocean, along with Mauritius, but not next to it or anything I don't think; gotta look that up too) if I ever need to again.

Kazoo65

#8 Post by Kazoo65 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:35 pm

Gerald Ford wanted to be Speaker of the House. He never got that job because he wound up being Vice President and then President instead.

ghostjmf

#9 Post by ghostjmf » Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:21 am

Y'know, in my lookup I had read all that stuff about "now American Samoans can celebrate 2 birthdays! (if they catch a plane to do it)" & it still didn't all sink in.

What makes this all work, & still makes my head ache, is that the very long set of flights you would have to take to get to all those other places by flying east to them assures that you eat up any time differential during the flight. I think. When the head-hurting briefly stops.

If I ever do get on the show, they will ask me just this sort of question, using locations none of which I know. Or they will ask where I will get to if I drill through to the other side of the earth from some other location I can't place. At least this Q was a return to the hard Qs of yesteryear, where you could, technically, figure it out, as opposed to being 'lucky' enough to be either a Guy Fieri or Rachel Ray fan (& I'd still rather eat at Fieri's place, thanks, as long as nobody threatens to dye my hair orange or give me some tattoos while I'm there).

MarleysGh0st

#10 Post by MarleysGh0st » Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:16 pm

ghostjmf wrote:(& I'd still rather eat at Fieri's place, thanks, as long as nobody threatens to dye my hair orange or give me some tattoos while I'm there).
If you find yourself in Vegas, I'm sure you could eat at his restaurant without being assaulted by the staff in any way. Except, perhaps, in the wallet, because those celebrity restaurants are on the pricey side. $18.00* for that Tatted-Up Turkey Burger!

*Actually, they've got one of those pretentious menus that don't stoop to dollar signs or decimal points, so the price is merely "18". :P