Transcript 4/1/09 - Ed Mitchell (carryover)

An index of WWTBAM transcript posts.
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 4/1/09 - Ed Mitchell (carryover)

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:47 pm

Ed Mitchell
Youngstown, OH
Police Scuba Instructor and Former Stand-Up Comic

Ed drove to NYC with his wife, Denise. Meredith and Ed retold the story about his late mother's former foundation, that he'd like to restart with some of the money he wins.

Ed has $8,000, and three lifelines (ATA, PAF and DD) remaining. His category tree:

Man's Best Friend
Down Under
On the Books
Myth Informed
Wide World of Sports
New State of Mine
Who Am I?
(Tiger Parts)
(Phrasing a Coin)
(Soaping Up)
(Pun Intended)
(When Was It?)
(Now We're Cooking)
(Break a Sweat)
(Watch It!)

$16,000 (Who Am I?): Who is Diablo Cody?
A. Professional wrestler B. Oscar-winning screenwriter
C. Character on "Heroes" D. The "Oprah of Spain"

Ed doesn't know, and decides to ATA (19).
ATA results
A. Professional wrestler - 13%
B. Oscar-winning screenwriter - 57%
C. Character on "Heroes" - 17%
D. The "Oprah of Spain" - 13%
The results are not to Ed's liking, and he chooses to PAF (12). Standing by are Ed's friends Deneen (Youngstown, OH), Mark (Canfield, OH) and Jim (Boardman, OH). Ed opts to call Mark.

Ed reads the question and answers (20). Mark repeats the name (and Ed spells "Cody"), then says, "Oh, geez. It might be the professional wrestler from the movie with Jack Black, but I'm not sure at all" (4). As time runs out, he mentions it's not his area of expertise.

Ed eventually goes with the audience.
Spoiler
B. Oscar-winning screenwriter (3)
Spoiler
(N.B. She wrote "Juno" and is also a regular columnist for Entertainment Weekly.)
$25,000 (New State of Mine): How many U.S. states have names that begin with the word "New"?
A. 2 B. 3
C. 4 D. 5

Ed uses his DD (11) and Meredith mentions that if he's wrong on both, he goes down to $1,000. Ed makes
Spoiler
B. 3
his first answer, which is incorrect. Time runs out as Ed says he'll walk away, and Meredith explains that you can't walk away when using the DD, so Ed leaves with $1,000.
Spoiler
C. 4 (0)
Spoiler
(N.B. New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico and New York)

earendel

Re: Transcript 4/1/09 - Ed Mitchell (carryover)

#2 Post by earendel » Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:41 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Ed Mitchell
Youngstown, OH
Police Scuba Instructor and Former Stand-Up Comic
When I fired up my DVR to watch this episode what I saw was the tail end of a "continuing news" story - a news conference with John Calipari, the new head basketball coach for the University of Kentucky. Fortunately I didn't miss any questions.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$16,000 (Who Am I?): Who is Diablo Cody?
A. Professional wrestler B. Oscar-winning screenwriter
C. Character on "Heroes" D. The "Oprah of Spain"

Ed doesn't know, and decides to ATA (19).
ATA results
A. Professional wrestler - 13%
B. Oscar-winning screenwriter - 57%
C. Character on "Heroes" - 17%
D. The "Oprah of Spain" - 13%
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:The results are not to Ed's liking, and he chooses to PAF (12). Standing by are Ed's friends Deneen (Youngstown, OH), Mark (Canfield, OH) and Jim (Boardman, OH). Ed opts to call Mark.

Ed reads the question and answers (20). Mark repeats the name (and Ed spells "Cody"), then says, "Oh, geez. It might be the professional wrestler from the movie with Jack Black, but I'm not sure at all" (4). As time runs out, he mentions it's not his area of expertise.

Ed eventually goes with the audience.
Spoiler
B. Oscar-winning screenwriter (3)
I would have had no idea and would have used ATA also. I'd have taken the audience's answer even though the percentage wasn't as high as I might have liked. The absence of a clear second choice would have boosted my confidence in the audience's answer.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$25,000 (New State of Mine): How many U.S. states have names that begin with the word "New"?
A. 2 B. 3
C. 4 D. 5

Ed uses his DD (11) and Meredith mentions that if he's wrong on both, he goes down to $1,000. Ed makes B. 3 his first answer, which is incorrect. Time runs out as Ed says he'll walk away, and Meredith explains that you can't walk away when using the DD, so Ed leaves with $1,000.
Spoiler
C. 4 (0)
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:
Spoiler
(N.B. New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico and New York)
I had a momentary brain freeze - I immediately thought of NY, NH and NM, but forget NJ. Under the pressure of the clock I might well have gone for "3" and left with $1K.

Regarding the DD - it would certainly be nice if Meredith would remind contestants before they choose the DD that there's no turning back, rather than doing it after they've made the decision. Ed must have been flustered by being told he was incorrect with his first answer (he may have had a brain freeze as I did) and forgot that he couldn't walk away. I believe this is the first time this has happened.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

summus123

Re: Transcript 4/1/09 - Ed Mitchell (carryover)

#3 Post by summus123 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:15 am

I remembered NY, NM and NJ, but forgot about NH. I would have DD on 3 and 4.