An index of WWTBAM transcript posts.
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 4/1/09 - Julia Meszaros

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:48 pm

Julia Meszaros
Milwaukee, WI
PhD Student in Political Science

Julia says it feels "so good" to be in the hotseat....which is pretty much the extent of the banter.

Her category tree:

It's Been Decades!
Can I Quote You?
Surf and Turf
In Treatment
His and Hers
Inauguration Day
Epic Poems
Monopoly
High Praise
Flights of Fancy
Dot Commerce
Claim to Fame
Eye-Q
Winter Games
Burn After Using

$100 (Burn After Using): According to law, which of the following must "be destroyed in a dignified way, preferably by burning" when it is no longer fit for use?
A. American flag B. College diploma
C. Payroll check D. *NSYNC T-shirt
Spoiler
A. American flag (7)
$200 (Winter Games): Which of these children's toys is designed to be used when there is snow on the ground?
A. Pogo stick B. Jump rope
C. Sled D. Kite
Spoiler
C. Sled (11)
$300 (Eye-Q): Which of these parts of the eye shares its name with a type of flower?
A. Lens B. Iris
C. Retina D. Cornea
Spoiler
B. Iris (11)
$500 (Claim to Fame): Which of the floowing is a slogan that often appears on license plates issued by the state of Idaho?
A. Famous Radishes B. Famous Potatoes
C. Famous Carrots D. Famous Apples
Spoiler
B. Famous Potatoes (9)
$1,000 (Dot Commerce): The Web site IDoNowIDont.com is an online marketplace for buying and selling secondhand what?
A. College textbooks B. Designer purses
C. Concert tickets D. Engagement rings
Spoiler
D. Engagement Rings (8)
Julia has now earned the ATE lifeline with this week's expert, Time Magazine columnist Joel Stein.

$2,000 (Flights of Fancy): The precision aviators of the U.S. Navy Flight Demonstration Squadron are better known as "The Blue" what?
A. Angels B. Eagles
C. Bandits D. Demons

Julia's unsure, and decides to ATA (21).
ATA results
A. Angels - 92%
B. Eagles - 5%
C. Bandits - 1%
D. Demons - 2%
Spoiler
A. Angels (20)
$4,000 (High Praise): At the 2008 Emmys, who did Alec Baldwin describe as "the Elaine May of her generation"?
A. Kristen Chenoweth B. Tina Fey
C. Julia Louis-Dreyfus D. Vanessa Williams

Julia asks the expert (16). Meredith says to Joel that she'll go out on a limb and predict that he'll know this immediately, to which Joel replies, "See, that's the pressure that kinda hurts me, I think!" After he reads the question, he says "I can do this for you! It's
Spoiler
the star and writer of the show he's on, 30 Rock, Tina Fey, B!"
Julia says, "That's what I thought," and Joel asks, "Then why'd you call me?"
Spoiler
B. Tina Fey (15)
COMMERCIAL BREAK

Julia has $55,000 in student loans to pay off.

$8,000 (Monopoly): Introduced in 1936, what country's version of Monopoly includes the properties Fleet Street and Trafalgar Square?
A. France B. Germany
C. England D. Italy
Spoiler
C. England (25)
$16,000 (Epic Poems): Which character from Homer's "Iliad" lends his name to an English word meaning "to bully"?
A. Ajax B. Hector
C. Paris D. Priam
Spoiler
B. Hector (21)
$25,000 (Inauguration Day): Though today it takes place at the U.S. Capitol, the first presidential inauguration in U.S. history took place where?
A. Federal Hall B. Old North Church
C. Independence Hall D. Mount Vernon

Julia decides to PAF (18) . Standing by are her father, Attila (Sussex, WI), and her friends Kanwar (Wauwatosa, WI) and Mike (Milwaukee, WI). Julia decides to call Mike.

Julia reads the question and answer verbatim, leaving 18 seconds. Mike says, "Oh, boy," and then nothing. With 5 seconds left, Mike asks, "what's my time?" and Julia tries to tell him when time runs out.

Julia elects to DD (14), and Meredith again explains that if she misses both, she'll drop down to $1,000. Julia makes choice
Spoiler
C
her first choice, and it's incorrect. Her second guess,
Spoiler
D
is also wrong, and Julia leaves with $1,000.
Spoiler
A. Federal Hall (11)

earendel

Re: Transcript 4/1/09 - Julia Meszaros

#2 Post by earendel » Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:00 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Julia Meszaros
Milwaukee, WI
PhD Student in Political Science
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Julia has now earned the ATE lifeline with this week's expert, Time Magazine columnist Joel Stein.
...who has proven to be a better expert this time around.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$4,000 (High Praise): At the 2008 Emmys, who did Alec Baldwin describe as "the Elaine May of her generation"?
A. Kristen Chenoweth B. Tina Fey
C. Julia Louis-Dreyfus D. Vanessa Williams

Julia asks the expert (16). Meredith says to Joel that she'll go out on a limb and predict that he'll know this immediately, to which Joel replies, "See, that's the pressure that kinda hurts me, I think!" After he reads the question, he says "I can do this for you! It's
Spoiler
the star and writer of the show he's on, 30 Rock, Tina Fey, B!"
Julia says, "That's what I thought," and Joel asks, "Then why'd you call me?"
Spoiler
B. Tina Fey (15)
Good question, Joel, and one I ask every time a contestant says that. As for me I'd have gone with Tina Fey based on the association of the two on "30 Rock" without needing a lifeline.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$16,000 (Epic Poems): Which character from Homer's "Iliad" lends his name to an English word meaning "to bully"?
A. Ajax B. Hector
C. Paris D. Priam
Spoiler
B. Hector (21)
I always thought of "hectoring" as similar to "heckling", that is, nagging someone.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$25,000 (Inauguration Day): Though today it takes place at the U.S. Capitol, the first presidential inauguration in U.S. history took place where?
A. Federal Hall B. Old North Church
C. Independence Hall D. Mount Vernon

Julia decides to PAF (18) . Standing by are her father, Attila (Sussex, WI), and her friends Kanwar (Wauwatosa, WI) and Mike (Milwaukee, WI). Julia decides to call Mike.

Julia reads the question and answer verbatim, leaving 18 seconds. Mike says, "Oh, boy," and then nothing. With 5 seconds left, Mike asks, "what's my time?" and Julia tries to tell him when time runs out.

Julia elects to DD (14), and Meredith again explains that if she misses both, she'll drop down to $1,000. Julia makes choice
Spoiler
C
her first choice, and it's incorrect. Her second guess,
Spoiler
D
is also wrong, and Julia leaves with $1,000.
Spoiler
A. Federal Hall (11)
One of the places our family went to on my second trip to NYC for BAM was to Wall Street and historic sites such as Federal Hall.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

MarleysGh0st

Re: Transcript 4/1/09 - Julia Meszaros

#3 Post by MarleysGh0st » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:23 am

Julia's appearance got two paragraphs of coverage in the middle of this column.

http://www.jsonline.com/entertainment/t ... 60312.html