Transcript 11/16/11 - Heather Menzel (IM4OSU)

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 11/16/11 - Heather Menzel (IM4OSU)

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:36 pm

Heather Menzel (IM4OSU)
Shallotte, NC
U.S. History teacher

Transcriber's note: Heather was a 1-day Jeopardy! champion.

Substitute Transcriber's note: During the initial banter with Meredith, Heather mentions that she received The Call while she was in class, so all of her students know she's here. They gave her mixed advice for the show about going for it or walking away.

Meredith mentions that Heather is three months pregnant.

Meredith asks the computer to randomize both the dollar amounts and the questions. The Unrandomized Topic Tree is not displayed.

Topic Tree (randomized)
?: Good Suggestion
?: Music to My Ears
?: Art Auction
?: Pregnant Parking Privileges
?: Peaceful Attempt
?: Medical Conditions
?: Planetary Features
?: Marathon Math
?: Hairy Technique
?: Splatter Matters

Question 1 -- Level ?? -- Splatter Matters
An animal sanctuary in Florida, Homosassa Springs Wildlife State Park posts a sign that reads "Splatter Zone" for those viewing a what?
A. Hippopotamus, B. Bobcat
C. Tortoise, D. Owl

Heather doesn't think
Spoiler
tortoises
emit any fluids.
Answer and value.
A. Hippopotamus
Value: $15,000
Bank: $15,000
Question 2 -- Level ?? -- Hairy Technique
A salon technique that involves bleaching individual strands of hair while leaving nearby hair untouched is called what?
A. Icing, B. Chilling
C. Frosting, D. Freezing

Heather knows this because she's had it done before.
Answer and value.
C. Frosting
Value: $1,000
Bank: $16,000
Question 3 -- Level ?? -- Marathon Math
Finishing the feat in 50 states over 50 days, ultramarathon runner Dean Karnazes famously ran 50 marathons for a total of how many miles?
A. 1,000, B. 1,130
C. 1,310, D. 1,500

Heather knows that a marathon is
Spoiler
miles. After multiplying by 50 by doing the math on the Ironing Board, she has a problem. She's not getting any of the answers. Oh, that's right! A marathon is a little more than
Spoiler
miles.
Answer and value.
C. 1,310
Value: $500
Bank: $16,500
A marathon is
Spoiler
miles. (Transcriber's note: it's actually
Spoiler
26 miles, 285 yards
, so the "correct" answer is actually about 2 miles too large.)

Question 4 -- Level ?? -- Planetary Features
In 1610, Galileo observed what planet through his telescope and saw what he described as "ears"?
A. Uranus, B. Saturn
C. Mercury, D. Mars

Heather thinks she will go for it.
Answer and value.
B. Saturn
Value: $7,000
Bank: $23,500
Commercial Break

Question 5 -- Level ?? -- Medical Conditions
A person suffering from dyssomnia has difficulty doing what?
A. Standing, B. Sleeping
C. Talking, D. Eating

Heather hopes it's like
Spoiler
insomnia
. She knows the prefix "dys" means difficulty and she thinks she had this last night.
Answer and value.
B. Sleeping
Value: $5,000
Bank: $28,500
Question 6 -- Level ?? -- Peaceful Attempt
Using the pseudonym Doktoro Esperanto, Polish physician L.L. Zamenhof tried to promote peace by creating an international what?
A. Religion, B. Language
C. Constitution, D. Orchestra

"Well,
Spoiler
Esperanto
is a created
Spoiler
language
Answer and value.
B. Language
Value: $2,000
Bank: $30,500
Question 7 -- Level ?? -- Pregnant Parking Privileges
Featuring signs that show a bundle-carrying stork, "Expectant Mothers" parking spaces are offered at which of these retail chains?
A. OfficeMax, B. Foot Locker
C. Babies "R" Us, D. RadioShack

The obvious answer is
Spoiler
Babies "R" Us
Answer and value.
C. Babies "R" Us
Value: $10,000
Bank: $40,500
Meredith observes that Heather might want to go there now with a new baby on the way. Heather is three questions from Round 2 and she still has all three lifelines.

Question 8 -- Level ?? -- Art Auction
In 2011, whose self-portrait sold at Christie's for nearly $3.9 million, reportedly the most ever paid for a photograph at an auction?
A. Diane Arbus, B. Cindy Sherman
C. Robert Mapplethorpe, D. Andres Serrano

Heather has no idea. A Christie's auction would be big news, but Heather decides to jump the question.
Answer and value.
B. Cindy Sherman
Value: $100
Question 9 -- Level ?? -- Music to My Ears
Long before OMG and LOL, Aretha Franklin sang what abbreviated phrase in her 1967 hit song, "Respect"?
A. TCB, B. NFM
C. LIC, D. JFF

Heather knows the song but doesn't know any of the abbreviations. She thinks the audience will.
ATA results.
A. 93%
B. 2%
C. 3%
D. 2%
Heather will agree with the audience.
Answer and value.
A. TCB
Value: $25,000
Bank: $65,500
It stands for
Spoiler
taking care of business

Commercial Break

Meredith goes to the audience to ask Heather's husband Joe for his reaction. Joe says, "I'm amazed, I'm so proud of you. You're doing a great job." The audience aws. They have a two-year-old daughter Alison and another child of unknown gender on the way. Heather wants to use the money to buy an Aretha Franklin album. With anything that's left over, she wants to take her whole family on an all-inclusive resort vacation as a reunion. Heather has always wanted to go to Hawaii.

Question 10 -- Level ?? -- Good Suggestion
In 1863, a Gettysburg judge wrote what man a letter, requesting that he make "a few appropriate remarks" at a battlefield ceremony?
A. Mark Twain, B. Alexander Graham Bell
C. Andrew Carnegie, D. Abraham Lincoln

This is exactly what they're studying in Heather's class right now. He made very few remarks; his speech was very short. The Gettysburg Address was given by . . . .
Answer and value.
D. Abraham Lincoln
Value: $3,000
Bank: $68,500
It's still not real. Nevertheless, Heather's in Round 2. Her next question will be worth $100,000. "It is time to play Classic Millionaire."

Question 11 -- $100,000
Makemake, a dwarf planet near Pluto that got its official name in 2008, was previously known to astronomers as what?
A. Toothfairy, B. Boogeyman
C. Santaclaus, D. Easterbunny

Heather has no idea. She's jumping the question.
Answer and bank
D. Easterbunny
Commercial Break

Question 12 -- $250,000
What early American's last will and testament asked that his sons be tauyght "an utter contempt for novels and light reading"?
A. Davy Crockett, B. Thomas Paine
C. Sam Houston, D. Paul Revere

None of the names are sticking out for Heather. She knows that
Spoiler
Thomas Paine
is not light reading but she doesn't think she knows enough to risk what she already has. Heather walks away.
Answer and bank
C. Sam Houston
Bank: $68,600
-- THE HORN!! --
Last edited by BBTranscriptTeam on Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

Re: Transcript 11/16/11 - Heather Menzel (IM4OSU)

#2 Post by Bob78164 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:21 am

Bump. And congratulations to Heather on a great performance and the large amounts of filthy lucre resulting therefrom. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

minimetoo26
Royal Pain In Everyone's Ass

#3 Post by minimetoo26 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:19 am

Okay--the flight to Hawai'i is very long. Impossibly long for a three-year-old. Been there. Take the kids to WDW, or an all-inclusive in the Caribbean. Go to Hawai'i without them, or when they're a bit older. They will absolutely love Hawai'i but it will take them the entire summer to overcome the 6-hour time difference. YOU will love Hawai'i more without them, or with older kids. Of course, if I had waited until my daughter was old enough, I'd be fossilized (I'm an Old Mom.)

Looking at the answer to that last question, it seems obvious in retrospect, but I wouldn't have risked it either! Excellent job all around!

I know Shallotte--my b-i-l was a sheriff in Brunswick County! He doesn't live in Shallotte and his kids are 5 and under so you wouldn't be teaching them anyway...
Knowing a great deal is not the same as being smart; intelligence is not information alone but also judgment, the manner in which information is collected and used.

-Carl Sagan

MarleysGh0st

#4 Post by MarleysGh0st » Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:58 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Question 8 -- Level ?? -- Art Auction
In 2011, whose self-portrait sold at Christie's for nearly $3.9 million, reportedly the most ever paid for a photograph at an auction?

Heather has no idea. A Christie's auction would be big news, but Heather decides to jump the question.
Answer and value.
B. Cindy Sherman
That would be the photo discussed in this thread?

http://wwtbambored.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=34230

Dang! We talked about it, but nobody*--not even the article that tmitsss linked to--mentioned that "Untitled #96" was a self-portrait!

*Well, uly did say that "she generally poses for her own photos," but he didn't say it was so for this one. :P

themanintheseersuckersuit

#5 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:19 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:

Answer and value.
B. Cindy Sherman
That would be the photo discussed in this thread?

http://wwtbambored.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=34230

Dang! We talked about it, but nobody*--not even the article that tmitsss linked to--mentioned that "Untitled #96" was a self-portrait!

*Well, uly did say that "she generally poses for her own photos," but he didn't say it was so for this one. :P
It has now been replaced in the record book

http://timenewsfeed.files.wordpress.com ... 400&crop=1
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

themanintheseersuckersuit

#6 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:23 am

Question 11 -- $100,000
Makemake, a dwarf planet near Pluto that got its official name in 2008, was previously known to astronomers as what?

[Reveal] Spoiler: Answer and bank
Hey, I knew this one. Although I doubt I did at the time of the taping. I had not yet read How I Killed Pluto. And very very few astronomers would have known the nickname. That was a name used by the group of astronomers who discovered it while they were preparing to publish their finding.

How I Killed Pluto is a pretty good book.
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

MarleysGh0st

#7 Post by MarleysGh0st » Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:42 am

themanintheseersuckersuit wrote:It has now been replaced in the record book

http://timenewsfeed.files.wordpress.com ... 400&crop=1
Wow, you're not joking!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/artanddesign/ ... photograph
A sludgy image of the grey Rhine under grey skies, by the German artist Andreas Gursky, has sold for $4.3m (£2.7m) at a Christie's auction in New York, setting a new world record for a photograph.
As with Sherman's photo, my response is why? :?

Gursky's explanation is fine and all, but doesn't begin to explain why someone would pay that much for it.
The desolate featureless landscape shown in Rhine II is no accident: Gursky explained in an interview that it is his favourite picture: "It says a lot using the most minimal means … for me it is an allegorical picture about the meaning of life and how things are."

In fact the artist carefully digitally removed any intrusive features – dog walkers, cyclists, a factory building – until it was bleak enough to satisfy him.
So the most expensive photo in history has been Photoshopped! :lol:

kusch

#8 Post by kusch » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:44 am

Nice job and congrats!!! It was easy to cheer for you.

earendel

#9 Post by earendel » Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:28 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Heather Menzel (IM4OSU)
Shallotte, NC
U.S. History teacher
As always, I root for teachers. Is her hometown actually "Charlotte"?
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Question 3 -- Level ?? -- Marathon Math
Finishing the feat in 50 states over 50 days, ultramarathon runner Dean Karnazes famously ran 50 marathons for a total of how many miles?
A. 1,000, B. 1,130
C. 1,310, D. 1,500

Heather knows that a marathon is
Spoiler
miles. After multiplying by 50 by doing the math on the Ironing Board, she has a problem. She's not getting any of the answers. Oh, that's right! A marathon is a little more than
Spoiler
miles.
Answer and value.
C. 1,310
Value: $500
Bank: $16,500
Good for Heather in not freaking out on a math question and realizing that the marathon was more than 26 miles.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Question 4 -- Level ?? -- Planetary Features
In 1610, Galileo observed what planet through his telescope and saw what he described as "ears"?
A. Uranus, B. Saturn
C. Mercury, D. Mars

Heather thinks she will go for it.
Answer and value.
B. Saturn
Value: $7,000
Bank: $23,500
Something about "Uranus" and "ears" is disturbing.

Answer and value.
B. Cindy Sherman
I'd JTQ also.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Question 9 -- Level ?? -- Music to My Ears
Long before OMG and LOL, Aretha Franklin sang what abbreviated phrase in her 1967 hit song, "Respect"?
A. TCB, B. NFM
C. LIC, D. JFF

Heather knows the song but doesn't know any of the abbreviations. She thinks the audience will.
ATA results.
A. 93%
B. 2%
C. 3%
D. 2%
Answer and value.
A. TCB
When I first heard the song I thought she was singing "take out TCP" and I couldn't figure out why she'd be singing about "RESE".
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Question 11 -- $100,000

Answer and bank
D. Easterbunny
I thought I knew this one before the answers came up, and when they did, I was shocked that my choice wasn't there. I'd JTQ also.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Question 12 -- $250,000
What early American's last will and testament asked that his sons be tauyght "an utter contempt for novels and light reading"?
A. Davy Crockett, B. Thomas Paine
C. Sam Houston, D. Paul Revere

None of the names are sticking out for Heather. She knows that
Spoiler
Thomas Paine
is not light reading but she doesn't think she knows enough to risk what she already has. Heather walks away.
Answer and bank
C. Sam Houston
Bank: $68,600
I suspect our Texas contingent might know this one, but I didn't. I'd use my ATA but I doubt it would help.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

MarleysGh0st

#10 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:42 am

earendel wrote:
Shallotte, NC
U.S. History teacher
No.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Shallotte ... a&t=m&z=10

minimetoo26
Royal Pain In Everyone's Ass

#11 Post by minimetoo26 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:44 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
earendel wrote:
Shallotte, NC
U.S. History teacher
No.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Shallotte ... a&t=m&z=10
Pronounced Shall-OAT
Knowing a great deal is not the same as being smart; intelligence is not information alone but also judgment, the manner in which information is collected and used.

-Carl Sagan

MarleysGh0st

#12 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:48 am

earendel wrote:
A. TCB, B. NFM
C. LIC, D. JFF

ATA results.
A. 93%
B. 2%
C. 3%
D. 2%
Answer and value.
A. TCB
When I first heard the song I thought she was singing "take out TCP" and I couldn't figure out why she'd be singing about "RESE".
I thought it was "TCP," too, but that was close enough for me to identify the right choice.

My memories of the song come from this cover of it:

8)

IM4OSU

#13 Post by IM4OSU » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:19 am

THANK YOU! I had forgotten some of the questions!!

Thanks too for posting the new record breaking pic. I hate to admit that I also have an art history degree and still don't understand why those photos are worth so much...

The funniest part was the marathon question. I am really bad at arithmetic under pressure and tried to "write" on the ironing board w/ my finger. Did you ever have a science class where the tables were made of that black stuff that shows every finger smudge? Well, the ironing board does NOT...I tried it 2x and still wasn't getting the answer. I started doubting my zero placement, and was ready to panic. I said something like "i'm going to try it one more time", everyone laughed. Thankfully I remembered my mistake! Later, the producer said that no one had ever tried to solve a problem with their finger before...

What an experience! Reading this really brought back vivid memories! Thanks again!
Heather

MarleysGh0st

#14 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:27 am

IM4OSU wrote:The funniest part was the marathon question. I am really bad at arithmetic under pressure and tried to "write" on the ironing board w/ my finger. Did you ever have a science class where the tables were made of that black stuff that shows every finger smudge? Well, the ironing board does NOT...I tried it 2x and still wasn't getting the answer. I started doubting my zero placement, and was ready to panic. I said something like "i'm going to try it one more time", everyone laughed. Thankfully I remembered my mistake! Later, the producer said that no one had ever tried to solve a problem with their finger before...
I thought your arithmetic technique was entertaining, too. But so many contestants panic when they see a math question and immediately burn a lifeline, you did very well to keep your cool, even when the first approximation didn't exactly match the choices. Very well done! :)

vettech

#15 Post by vettech » Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:05 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote:
earendel wrote:
A. TCB, B. NFM
C. LIC, D. JFF

ATA results.
A. 93%
B. 2%
C. 3%
D. 2%
Answer and value.
A. TCB
I thought it was "TCP," too, but that was close enough for me to identify the right choice.

My memories of the song come from this cover of it:

8)
"Excuse me, but I speak jive."

Airplane! FTW!!!

MarleysGh0st

#16 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:51 pm

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Meredith asks the computer to randomize both the dollar amounts and the questions. The Unrandomized Topic Tree is not displayed.
Heather, we haven't had another Bored Buddy as a contestant on the show since they started changing this part of the show, so perhaps you could answer a few questions about it.

1. Did the broadcast show everything that happens here? They didn't still show you the unrandomized topic tree and then edit that out of the tape, did they?

2. During all the pregame briefings, did they say anything about this change, that some contestants still get to see the unrandomized topic tree but others don't? Did they give a reason for the change? Was there any acknowledgement that it may be an advantage to the contestants who do see it?

secondchance
Possum Hunter!

#17 Post by secondchance » Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:54 am

IM4OSU wrote:THANK YOU! I had forgotten some of the questions!!

Thanks too for posting the new record breaking pic. I hate to admit that I also have an art history degree and still don't understand why those photos are worth so much...

The funniest part was the marathon question. I am really bad at arithmetic under pressure and tried to "write" on the ironing board w/ my finger. Did you ever have a science class where the tables were made of that black stuff that shows every finger smudge? Well, the ironing board does NOT...I tried it 2x and still wasn't getting the answer. I started doubting my zero placement, and was ready to panic. I said something like "i'm going to try it one more time", everyone laughed. Thankfully I remembered my mistake! Later, the producer said that no one had ever tried to solve a problem with their finger before...

What an experience! Reading this really brought back vivid memories! Thanks again!
Heather
Heather! I just wanted to say WELCOME - so glad that you were able to find your way to The Bored, and also to say what a truly terrific job you did - CONGRATULATIONS! What a damn shame the show doesn't air where you live. Did you arrange for anyone to record it for you?? You played such an outstanding game, and looked absolutely mahhvelous- and it was also cute how it appeared that you and Mere were wearing "matching" outfits. :)

Hey- Fellow BB's... If it turns out that Heather does NOT have the show being sent to her by someone who recorded it for her, does anyone still have it, and also the capablilty to post it here for her? (I would do it if I could, but my techno-dolted-ness prevents me).

Besides, here in L.A., the beginning of your game was pre-empted- yet again - by a police pursuit of some local bonehead, which means we Angelenos missed your introduction and question 1, as well as the end of Mark Langberg's game. Arrrgggh! - it's so aggravating and uneccessary when they do that! I'm anxious to hear your responses to Marley's last two questions as well.

Good luck to you and your family~ hope you'll stick around and share your happy news when the little one arrives!

IM4OSU

#18 Post by IM4OSU » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:53 am

Good morning and thanks to everyone for your kind words! I hope I can answer some of your questions.

When they were preparing us to go on the show, they mentioned that the first person to appear that day will see the unrandomized list of categories; the people who appear after that will not get to see it or only see it for a second. I don't think I got to see mine, as I followed Mark Langberg on that day's episode. No one really acknowledged the advantage that seeing the unrandomized tree gives...

That said, the producer (Rich) meets with all of the contestants and tells us how to play the best game. They really do want you to get as far as you can. I was reassured that there are no "tricks" in the questions. For example, on the question about pregnant parking, could I be confident that Babies R Us was the answer, or should I think twice b/c it is so obvious? From our morning meeting, I knew that I should go for it and I'm glad I did. I know a lot of people second guess themselves and that is not good. Basically, they encouraged us to play the same way we play on the couch at home. The best advice I got was, "Don't play to "not lose". Play to WIN". So, after having been there, I think the advantage of seeing the unrandomized list is not as big as I originally thought.

I'm not really sure if everything was shown (since I didn't get to see it) but from the t-script it looked like it was. I took what seemed like forever to get the math question--hopefully they shortened that...I know I talked to my husband a couple times; not sure if they showed every time...I got to talk to Meredith a lot but I think that was mostly during breaks (she really is incredible and so reassuring/supportive).

Yes, I do have an aunt that recorded the show--I will not be watching it; I can't stand to see myself on video, but I will take it to school for whoever is interested. Thank you for noticing though! I do want to keep a copy for my daughter(s) to see someday!

Yes, too bad that Mark's portion was preempted. He was so funny. I really wanted him to win a lot! A singing gondolier! By the way, he had been on Wheel of Fortune but I'm not sure when....

well, time to go make the donuts!
Heather

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#19 Post by ulysses5019 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:36 am

well, time to go make the donuts!
Heather
Mmmmmmmm...
I believe in the usefulness of useless information.

vettech

#20 Post by vettech » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:40 pm

IM4OSU wrote: No one really acknowledged the advantage that seeing the unrandomized tree gives...
Well, it's only an advantage if you can remember it, which I couldn't when I was on... :oops:

(And congrats!!)

CarShark

#21 Post by CarShark » Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:49 pm

IM4OSU wrote:When they were preparing us to go on the show, they mentioned that the first person to appear that day will see the unrandomized list of categories; the people who appear after that will not get to see it or only see it for a second. I don't think I got to see mine, as I followed Mark Langberg on that day's episode. No one really acknowledged the advantage that seeing the unrandomized tree gives...
Which makes me wonder how this could be ok with Standards and Practices.
That said, the producer (Rich) meets with all of the contestants and tells us how to play the best game. They really do want you to get as far as you can. I was reassured that there are no "tricks" in the questions. For example, on the question about pregnant parking, could I be confident that Babies R Us was the answer, or should I think twice b/c it is so obvious? From our morning meeting, I knew that I should go for it and I'm glad I did. I know a lot of people second guess themselves and that is not good. Basically, they encouraged us to play the same way we play on the couch at home. The best advice I got was, "Don't play to "not lose". Play to WIN".
Which is amazing to me considering the hugely conservative way most contestants play. We usually hear "I don't want to go out on the first question" or "I think I know, but I'm not 100% sure..." before using a couple lifelines. I guess they feel safe because one or two questions in the first round are usually so obscure that an average person has no hope in hell of knowing it.
So, after having been there, I think the advantage of seeing the unrandomized list is not as big as I originally thought.
...but it's not zero, which again has me wondering how this got by S&P.