Etaoin, I gave you bad info

Friday Night Gender Defender!
silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

Etaoin, I gave you bad info

#1 Post by silvercamaro » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:38 pm

In a lull, I googled "NCAA" and "decathlon" to make sure I wasn't mistaken. Evidently, I was. At least Div. II and Div. III schools in the U.S. have decathlon events, as do NAIA schools. I could not find a reference in a quick search for any Div. I schools. I am not sure whether the decathlon has been added, sensibly enough, to NCAA track & field meets in some or all divisions since my son was in school, or if they've had it for decades but just didn't do it in the Div. I Big Eight/Big Twelve schools. I'll have to dig more deeply to find out the answers for myself (and anybody else who might be interested.)

At any rate, there clearly are alternate paths that prospective decathletes may take. Good.
Now generating the White Hot Glare of Righteousness on behalf of BBs everywhere.

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

Re: Etaoin, I gave you bad info

#2 Post by ulysses5019 » Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:26 am

silvercamaro wrote:In a lull, I googled "NCAA" and "decathlon" to make sure I wasn't mistaken. Evidently, I was. At least Div. II and Div. III schools in the U.S. have decathlon events, as do NAIA schools. I could not find a reference in a quick search for any Div. I schools. I am not sure whether the decathlon has been added, sensibly enough, to NCAA track & field meets in some or all divisions since my son was in school, or if they've had it for decades but just didn't do it in the Div. I Big Eight/Big Twelve schools. I'll have to dig more deeply to find out the answers for myself (and anybody else who might be interested.)

At any rate, there clearly are alternate paths that prospective decathletes may take. Good.
I know that NCAA has Division I champions in both decathlon and heptathlon. I don't know how long they've been sanctioned though.
I believe in the usefulness of useless information.