McCarthy Out As Speaker

If it's going to get the Bored heated, then take it here PLEASE.
silverscreenselect

McCarthy Out As Speaker

#1 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Oct 03, 2023 6:56 pm

When you screw over both Democrats and Republicans, you run out of friends. Eight hardline Republicans voted against him as did every Democrat.

He says he won't run again, so they'll start next week from scratch. Unlike in January, the House can still proceed for now with Patrick McHenry of Virginia serving as interim speaker.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Pastor Fireball

Re: McCarthy Out As Speaker

#2 Post by Pastor Fireball » Tue Oct 03, 2023 7:54 pm

The Daily Show's Twitter/X feed said it best: It was refreshing to see Matt Gaetz f**k someone over the age of 18.
"[Drumpf's] name alone creates division and anger, whose words inspire dissension and hatred, and can't possibly 'Make America Great Again.'" --Kobe Bryant (1978-2020)

"In times of crisis, the wise build bridges. The foolish build barriers." --Chadwick Boseman (1976-2020)

silverscreenselect

#3 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Oct 03, 2023 11:15 pm

It didn't take long for Republicans to take out their frustrations on the Democrats. The first thing Acting Speaker McHenry did today was to order Nancy Pelosi to vacate her offices by tomorrow. (By tradition, departing speakers get larger offices when control of the House changes hands.) Unfortunately, Pelosi couldn't take care of this if she wanted to since she's in California attending Diane Feinstein's funeral. Fortunately, some of Minority Leader Jeffries' staff packed up Pelosi's belongings in her absence.

This is is typical spiteful childishness that's par for the course for Republicans nowadays. Stunts like this and endless fruitless committee hearings are what passes for "governance" in the Republican Congress, and that won't change no matter who becomes the next Speaker.

Ritterskoop

#4 Post by Ritterskoop » Wed Oct 04, 2023 8:07 am

I was startled yesterday when the vote went down. I really thought there was a chance the Democrats would vote Present, and make it like 8-208, or whatever. But McCarthy burned all his bridges with them, too, so they were like whatever.

I know he'd wanted that job all his life, but it seems like he had to sell whatever was left of his soul to get it, and keep it, so it should be a relief for him, to be done with it.

I would wager on Steve Scalise next, if I were putting down money.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

Weyoun

#5 Post by Weyoun » Wed Oct 04, 2023 1:36 pm

Right now this country is in line to let pedophile-adjacent Jim Jordan become Speaker, after pedophile Matt Gaetz toppled non-pedophile Kevin McCarthy.

But Jeffrey Epstein was the problem!

Go see Sound of Freedom!

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#6 Post by Bob78164 » Fri Oct 06, 2023 9:20 am

Ritterskoop wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 8:07 am
I was startled yesterday when the vote went down. I really thought there was a chance the Democrats would vote Present, and make it like 8-208, or whatever. But McCarthy burned all his bridges with them, too, so they were like whatever.

I know he'd wanted that job all his life, but it seems like he had to sell whatever was left of his soul to get it, and keep it, so it should be a relief for him, to be done with it.

For me, it was pretty simple. In politics, your word needs to be your bond. Kevin McCarthy gave his word when he reached a spending agreement in connection with the debt ceiling, and then he broke it. He had to go.

And that's leaving aside his utterly asinine remarks on national television blaming Democrats for the near-shutdown. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

silverscreenselect

#7 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Oct 06, 2023 10:03 am

Bob78164 wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2023 9:20 am
Ritterskoop wrote:

For me, it was pretty simple. In politics, your word needs to be your bond. Kevin McCarthy gave his word when he reached a spending agreement in connection with the debt ceiling, and then he broke it. He had to go.

And that's leaving aside his utterly asinine remarks on national television blaming Democrats for the near-shutdown. --Bob
What this vote showed me was how unified the Democratic party is as a near-majority. It would have been very easy for a few Representatives in more conservative-leaning districts like Mary Peltola and Jared Golden to vote for McCarthy and by my count it would have only required four of them to change their votes to keep him around. Hakeem Jeffries has shown he can deliver the Democratic caucus on key votes, just as Nancy Pelosi did. None of the current Republicans have that ability with their party.

It wouldn't surprise me that if this Scalise/Jordan fight gets ugly, some moderate Republicans might reach out to Jeffries about a possible deal.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#8 Post by Bob78164 » Fri Oct 06, 2023 12:52 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2023 10:03 am
Bob78164 wrote:
Ritterskoop wrote:

What this vote showed me was how unified the Democratic party is as a near-majority. It would have been very easy for a few Representatives in more conservative-leaning districts like Mary Peltola and Jared Golden to vote for McCarthy and by my count it would have only required four of them to change their votes to keep him around. Hakeem Jeffries has shown he can deliver the Democratic caucus on key votes, just as Nancy Pelosi did. None of the current Republicans have that ability with their party.

It wouldn't surprise me that if this Scalise/Jordan fight gets ugly, some moderate Republicans might reach out to Jeffries about a possible deal.
I doubt it. They'd get primaried (even the Republicans in swing districts) and they all seem to care more about staying in office than about doing right by the country. There may be one or two remaining exceptions, but most have already been purged. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Ritterskoop

#9 Post by Ritterskoop » Sat Oct 07, 2023 6:29 pm

For the record, Patrick McHenry (the temp guy) is from North Carolina, specifically, from Gastonia, NC, indeed the land of WGAS in Gastonia. He's in the district just west of mine, at least until they redraw them again some way.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

tlynn78

#10 Post by tlynn78 » Wed Oct 11, 2023 11:22 am

Bob78164 wrote:
Ritterskoop wrote:

Ooh, wrong again.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

silverscreenselect

#11 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Oct 11, 2023 12:35 pm

tlynn78 wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2023 11:22 am
Ooh, wrong again.
The situation in Israel had a lot more to do with burying the hatchet than any sudden sense of kumbayah among the Republicans. Hopefully Tommy Tuberville will also get the message and allow the fleet in the Mediterranean to be at full strength.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#12 Post by Bob78164 » Wed Oct 11, 2023 1:09 pm

The sad thing is that the guy who described himself as "David Duke without the baggage" was probably the better choice. (In this case, the phrase "the lesser of two evils" truly is apt.) The other guy actively cooperated with and encouraged Donny's insurrection, and then refused to cooperate with efforts to get the truth out. --Bob

silverscreenselect

#13 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Oct 11, 2023 8:49 pm

tlynn78 wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2023 11:22 am
Bob78164 wrote:

Ooh, wrong again.
Maybe yes, maybe no. Apparently, Scalise doesn't have all the votes locked down since they cancelled the vote of the entire House scheduled for today.

silverscreenselect

#14 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Oct 12, 2023 7:53 pm

Looks like Steve Scalise won't be speaker either.

The Republicans remind me of the lyrics from Proud Mary: "You see, we never ever do nothing nice and easy. We always do it nice and rough."

Pastor Fireball

#15 Post by Pastor Fireball » Thu Oct 12, 2023 8:08 pm

Thu Oct 12, 2023 7:53 pm
Looks like Steve Scalise won't be speaker either.
Apparently, the shouty jacketless pervo-protector is the only one who wants to be Matt Gaetz's next bottom-bitch... and he may not get the 217 votes, either. One has to be a special kid of atrocious to lose a one-man race, and Gym Jordan definitely fills that bill.
"[Drumpf's] name alone creates division and anger, whose words inspire dissension and hatred, and can't possibly 'Make America Great Again.'" --Kobe Bryant (1978-2020)

"In times of crisis, the wise build bridges. The foolish build barriers." --Chadwick Boseman (1976-2020)