Alabama Supreme Court declares frozen embryos to be children

If it's going to get the Bored heated, then take it here PLEASE.
earendel

Alabama Supreme Court declares frozen embryos to be children

#1 Post by earendel » Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:17 am

Last Friday, the Alabama Supreme Court ruled that frozen embryos are children. From the Washington Post:
The Alabama case focused on whether a patient who mistakenly dropped and destroyed other couples’ frozen embryos could be held liable in a wrongful-death lawsuit. The court ruled the patient could, writing that it had long held that “unborn children are ‘children’” and that that was also true for frozen embryos, affording the fertilized eggs the same protection as babies under the Wrongful Death of a Minor Act.
The Chief Justice cited the Bible as justification for the ruling:
“Human life cannot be wrongfully destroyed without incurring the wrath of a holy God, who views the destruction of His image as an affront to Himself,” Parker wrote. “Even before birth, all human beings bear the image of God, and their lives cannot be destroyed without effacing his glory.”
The ruling has already had an effect on IVF in Alabama, since the procedure involves harvesting eggs from the woman, fertilizing them outside her body, then implanting one and freezing the others. There is also concern about what this might do for divorces that include destruction of frozen embryos.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

flockofseagulls104

Re: Alabama Supreme Court declares frozen embryos to be children

#2 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:22 am

earendel wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:17 am
Last Friday, the Alabama Supreme Court ruled that frozen embryos are children. From the Washington Post:
The Alabama case focused on whether a patient who mistakenly dropped and destroyed other couples’ frozen embryos could be held liable in a wrongful-death lawsuit. The court ruled the patient could, writing that it had long held that “unborn children are ‘children’” and that that was also true for frozen embryos, affording the fertilized eggs the same protection as babies under the Wrongful Death of a Minor Act.
The Chief Justice cited the Bible as justification for the ruling:
“Human life cannot be wrongfully destroyed without incurring the wrath of a holy God, who views the destruction of His image as an affront to Himself,” Parker wrote. “Even before birth, all human beings bear the image of God, and their lives cannot be destroyed without effacing his glory.”
The ruling has already had an effect on IVF in Alabama, since the procedure involves harvesting eggs from the woman, fertilizing them outside her body, then implanting one and freezing the others. There is also concern about what this might do for divorces that include destruction of frozen embryos.
The courts don't always get things right, do they?
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

BackInTex

#3 Post by BackInTex » Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:04 pm

Decision makes as much sense as the decision made by Engoron.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

War is where the government tells you who the bad guy is.
Revolution is when you decide that for yourself.
-- Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

flockofseagulls104

#4 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:28 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:04 pm
Decision makes as much sense as the decision made by Engoron.
No, we have to accept it, because it is what the court says, and they are always right. Right, trollboy? Right, bobberino? Their decisions are guided by a higher power. These days, though, it's difficult to determine which one.
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

Pastor Fireball

#5 Post by Pastor Fireball » Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:45 am

I'll be sure to send the Alabama Supreme Court a box full of gooey, sticky batter since they'll think that's a cake.
"[Drumpf's] name alone creates division and anger, whose words inspire dissension and hatred, and can't possibly 'Make America Great Again.'" --Kobe Bryant (1978-2020)

"In times of crisis, the wise build bridges. The foolish build barriers." --Chadwick Boseman (1976-2020)

silverscreenselect

#6 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:57 am

If they stay frozen for 18 years, does that mean they get to vote?
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#7 Post by Bob78164 » Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:06 am

silverscreenselect wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:57 am
Someone is already planning to use frozen embryos to claim dozens of dependent exemptions on their taxes. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

flockofseagulls104

#8 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:33 am

Bob78164 wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:06 am
Someone is already planning to use frozen embryos to claim dozens of dependent exemptions on their taxes. --Bob
Don't make fun of the court's decision, bobby. They are never wrong. That's what you tell me.

tlynn78

#9 Post by tlynn78 » Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:57 am

flockofseagulls104 wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:33 am
Bob78164 wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:06 am
Don't make fun of the court's decision, bobby. They are never wrong. That's what you tell me.
C'mon, man. Bobby got a special oath that lets him only support the laws he agrees with.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#10 Post by Bob78164 » Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:40 pm

The Alabama Legislature is running like hell from this theocratic ruling. Perhaps the memory of Senator Doug Jones has reminded them that even Alabama voters can be pushed too far. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

flockofseagulls104

#11 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:50 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:40 pm
The Alabama Legislature is running like hell from this theocratic ruling. Perhaps the memory of Senator Doug Jones has reminded them that even Alabama voters can be pushed too far. --Bob
But wait! The decision by a local, partisan NYC judge, all by himself, in a case where the prosecutor vowed in her campaign to nail one specific person? We can't question that one! You support and hail that one?
I think I get it. We can't have theocratic rulings, but political rulings are NEVER done, right? But I am confused, the courts are never wrong. Trollboy tells me this all the time. And he's a lawyer. Are you more above average than he is? I am not a lawyer, so I can't possibly understand these things. It's even harder for me, because I've been told I understand nothing to begin with. Help me out here.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#12 Post by Bob78164 » Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:01 pm

Would someone mind pointing out to the lying moron that I've never said that Alabama ruling was incorrect as a matter of Alabama law? Unpopular as all hell and a grave threat to freedom, sure. But that's a natural consequence of Dobbs, which the American people are in the process of understanding.

Then there's this story of the Texas hospital (Texas Health Arlington Memorial Hospital) that refused to treat a woman's life-threatening ectopic pregnancy. But the time she succeeded in getting treatment, her fallopian tube had started to burst. The experience converted her previously anti-choice mother to a pro-choice advocate, now that she's seen exactly what the loss of freedom can mean to her personally.
Caroline Kitchener wrote:When Roe v. Wade was overturned in 2022, the two had argued fiercely about what a near-total abortion ban would mean for women in the state — with Norris-De La Cruz fearing a loss of personal freedoms, and Lloyd welcoming new protections for babies who couldn’t speak up for themselves.

Initially, Lloyd said, she thought the Texas abortion law would only affect people who decided they didn’t want to be pregnant — never imagining it could prevent women from accessing lifesaving care. Now, she said, she has completely changed her mind about abortion bans.

“I didn’t realize how far it had gone,” she said. “But it has happened to my life now, with my daughter."

“Her life has been in danger and affected by someone who was too afraid to help.”
And I'll challenge anyone who things that Judge Engeron's opinion was wrong to explain (by quoting language) exactly what he got wrong and why it's wrong. Because that's exactly what Donny's going to have to do on appeal. --Bob

Weyoun

#13 Post by Weyoun » Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:27 pm

Not a surprise.

I have very little doubt some rich white folks in Mountain Brook need IVF to conceive, and they called their representatives.

Just another example of wacko incoherence. These wackos talk about "white replacement" and how it must be stopped, but:

1) they oppose IVF, which tends to be a white person thing
2) want white kids to come out of college thousands of dollars in debt, so they delay having families, and
3) shrug when a Christian school full of white kids gets shot up

wbtravis007

#14 Post by wbtravis007 » Fri Feb 23, 2024 3:39 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:01 pm
Would someone mind pointing out to the lying moron that I've never said that Alabama ruling was incorrect as a matter of Alabama law? Unpopular as all hell and a grave threat to freedom, sure. But that's a natural consequence of Dobbs, which the American people are in the process of understanding.

Then there's this story of the Texas hospital (Texas Health Arlington Memorial Hospital) that refused to treat a woman's life-threatening ectopic pregnancy. But the time she succeeded in getting treatment, her fallopian tube had started to burst. The experience converted her previously anti-choice mother to a pro-choice advocate, now that she's seen exactly what the loss of freedom can mean to her personally.
Caroline Kitchener wrote:When Roe v. Wade was overturned in 2022, the two had argued fiercely about what a near-total abortion ban would mean for women in the state — with Norris-De La Cruz fearing a loss of personal freedoms, and Lloyd welcoming new protections for babies who couldn’t speak up for themselves.

Initially, Lloyd said, she thought the Texas abortion law would only affect people who decided they didn’t want to be pregnant — never imagining it could prevent women from accessing lifesaving care. Now, she said, she has completely changed her mind about abortion bans.

“I didn’t realize how far it had gone,” she said. “But it has happened to my life now, with my daughter."

“Her life has been in danger and affected by someone who was too afraid to help.”
And I'll challenge anyone who things that Judge Engeron's opinion was wrong to explain (by quoting language) exactly what he got wrong and why it's wrong. Because that's exactly what Donny's going to have to do on appeal. --Bob

He won't be able to hear with that broken record going. He's posted the same damn thing four times.

So far.

As though it was actually even worth considering the first time.