Transcript 10/10/2007 - Rich Klassen

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 10/10/2007 - Rich Klassen

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:20 am

Rich Klassen
Dripping Springs, TX
Project manager

RIch promised his kids that if he won the million he'd build them a swimming pool. Meredith says he doesn't need that much. Rich replies, "the smaller the amount, the smaller the pool."

$100 - In a classic fairy tale, what late-blooming creature eventually grows up to become a beautiful swan?

A - the Ugly Duckling
B - the Frog Prince
C - the Big Bad Wolf
D - the Skanky Ostrich

$200 - The adjective "bloodcurdling" is synonymous with which of these words?

A - hilarious
B - dull
C - horrifying
D - romantic

$300 - Rapper Snoop Dogg once joked that, after retiring from rap, he'd call himself "Scoop" Dogg and open what kind of eatery?

A - pizza parlor
B - hot dog stand
C - ice cream parlor
D - pretzel stand

$500 - Which of these mathematical operations results in a number called a "difference"?

A - addition
B - subtraction
C - multiplication
D - division

$1K - Plastic stays are commonly inserted into what part of a shirt to help it keep its shape?

A - collar
B - cuff
C - front pocket
D - sleeve

$2K - What buoyant berries are often harvested by flooding the bogs in which they are grown, then collecting them off the surface of the water?

A - strawberries
B - blackberries
C - blueberries
D - cranberries

Rick has picked strawberries, blackberries and blueberries, so the answer has to be "D".

$4K - Which of these celebrity babies is the child of an Oscar-winning mother and a Grammy-winning father?

A - Shiloh Jolie-Pitt
B - Violet Affleck
C - Moses Martin
D - Suri Cruise

Rick says he thinks he'd like to have the audience help him.

ATA results
A - 14%
B - 2%
C - 79%
D - 5%

He appreciates the audience's help because he was lost and probably would have made a mistake. After revealing the answer Meredith replies, "you were lost but now you're found." She then says that Moses Martin is the son of Gwyneth Paltrow and Chris Martin, adding that their first child was named "Apple". Rick says he doesn't know pop culture and asks that he be given no more of that type of question.

$8K - ACE inhibitors are a type of medication commonly prescribed to treat which of these ailments?

A - high blood pressure
B - arthritis
C - acid reflux
D - glaucoma

Rick says inhibitors would be to take away something and high blood pressure is something to take away. That said, Rick decides to use the 50/50, which leaves "A" and "C".

Commercial break

Meredith said Rick was brave to guess on the last one.

$16K - Following a political appointment from President Bush in May of 2007, Douglas Lute assumed what unofficial title in the press?

A - crime czar
B - education czar
C - economy czar
D - war czar

Rick was very busy in May 2007 and didn't have time to read the newspapers, so this would be a perfect time to call his friend Paul. Rick reads the question and Paul says he doesn't have a clue and asks Rick to read it again. He does so but with only one second to spare Rick says, "Answer now". Too late. Rick decides to walk away with his $8K.

ANSWERS:
$100 - A (the Ugly Duckling)
$200 - C (horrifying)
$300 - C (ice cream parlor)
$500 - B (subtraction)
$1K - A - collar
$2K - D - cranberries
$4K - C - Moses Martin
$8K - A - high blood pressure
$16K - D - war czar
Last edited by BBTranscriptTeam on Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

earendel

Re: Transcript 10/10/2007 - Rich Klassen

#2 Post by earendel » Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:06 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Rich Klassen
Dripping Springs, TX
Project manager
So where is Dripping Springs?
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$4K - Which of these celebrity babies is the child of an Oscar-winning mother and a Grammy-winning father?

A - Shiloh Jolie-Pitt
B - Violet Affleck
C - Moses Martin
D - Suri Cruise
It's a pop culture question but not one hard to figure out. elwing surprised me by knowing that it wasn't A or D. As for me, the only one I didn't recognize was C. (A - Brad Pitt, not a singer; B - Ben Affleck, not a singer; D - Tom Cruise, not a singer).
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Rick says he doesn't know pop culture and asks that he be given no more of that type of question.
<sigh> How many of us would wish the same thing, Rick?
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$8K - ACE inhibitors are a type of medication commonly prescribed to treat which of these ailments?

A - high blood pressure
B - arthritis
C - acid reflux
D - glaucoma

Rick says inhibitors would be to take away something and high blood pressure is something to take away. That said, Rick decides to use the 50/50, which leaves "A" and "C".
I guess he couldn't decide between two, and the 50/50 left the ones he was worried about. As for me, I take one, so no problem.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$16K - Following a political appointment from President Bush in May of 2007, Douglas Lute assumed what unofficial title in the press?

A - crime czar
B - education czar
C - economy czar
D - war czar

Rick was very busy in May 2007 and didn't have time to read the newspapers, so this would be a perfect time to call his friend Paul. Rick reads the question and Paul says he doesn't have a clue and asks Rick to read it again. He does so but with only one second to spare Rick says, "Answer now". Too late. Rick decides to walk away with his $16K.
I wonder what Rick was doing that kept him away from the newspapers? In any event, I thought it was D but would not have been sure enough in the Hot Seat to pull the trigger. I don't know if ATA would help, so try the 50/50 (which would probably have left B and D).
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

MarleysGh0st

#3 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:48 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote: RIch promised his kids that if he won the million he'd build them a swimming pool. Meredith says he doesn't need that much. Rich replies, "the smaller the amount, the smaller the pool."
He needs to win the entire million before he gets his kids a pool? What a cheapskate!

Yeah, he said $1K would get them a wading pool. Big whoop.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote: $4K - Which of these celebrity babies is the child of an Oscar-winning mother and a Grammy-winning father?

A - Shiloh Jolie-Pitt
B - Violet Affleck
C - Moses Martin
D - Suri Cruise
Wow! Even though I have no interest in celebrity baby stories, I can recognize three of those last names belong to actors, not singers.

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$8K - ACE inhibitors are a type of medication commonly prescribed to treat which of these ailments?

A - high blood pressure
B - arthritis
C - acid reflux
D - glaucoma
Dang. I think these have been discussed here before, but I can't recall what ACE stands for. ATA, and count on the demographically undesirable audience to need this medication.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$16K - Following a political appointment from President Bush in May of 2007, Douglas Lute assumed what unofficial title in the press?

A - crime czar
B - education czar
C - economy czar
D - war czar
I find the trend to christen all sorts of positions as "czars" pretty absurd in this republic, but particularly in this case. To run a war, you start with the Commander-in-chief and then delegate to various generals. Where's the need for a "czar"? :roll:

earendel

#4 Post by earendel » Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:14 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:I find the trend to christen all sorts of positions as "czars" pretty absurd in this republic, but particularly in this case. To run a war, you start with the Commander-in-chief and then delegate to various generals. Where's the need for a "czar"? :roll:
And why is it spelled "czar" instead of "tsar"?

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#5 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:17 am

It may be just me, but the answers for this question are only posted to $500.

NellyLunatic1980

#6 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:12 am

Nihil obstat® for me...

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#7 Post by silvercamaro » Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:33 am

So where is Dripping Springs?

Near Austin.

BBTranscriptTeam

#8 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:03 am

PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote:It may be just me, but the answers for this question are only posted to $500.
It wasn't just you.

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#9 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:20 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:
PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote:It may be just me, but the answers for this question are only posted to $500.
It wasn't just you.
Thank you, usually it is just me ;)

MarleysGh0st

#10 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:23 am

PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote: Thank you, usually it is just me ;)
Nah!

I see that the editing footnote feature has been turned on.

earendel

#11 Post by earendel » Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:49 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:
It wasn't just you.
Did someone forget to cut and paste all the answers?

MarleysGh0st

#12 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:51 am

earendel wrote:Did someone forget to cut and paste all the answers?
It could happen to anyone! :)

ghostjmf

#13 Post by ghostjmf » Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:48 pm

$8K - ACE inhibitors are a type of medication commonly prescribed to treat which of these ailments?

A - high blood pressure
B - arthritis
C - acid reflux
D - glaucoma

OK, I don't know this. I dunno what ACE is. if "C" is "cholesterol" then this is blood pressure stuff, but I wouldn't want to guess.

ATA; if they all don't know I'll be PAFing.

$16K - Following a political appointment from President Bush in May of 2007, Douglas Lute assumed what unofficial title in the press?

A - crime czar
B - education czar
C - economy czar
D - war czar

I had heard about something like this but wasn't sure; however, going by the fact that Bush doesn't appoint many that don't either have to do with Iraq or with tearing up the constitution; usually both, & especially since this title was awarded by a press corp that does not like him, rather than by Bushie himself, I'd go with "war czar".

MarleysGh0st

#14 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:59 pm

ghostjmf wrote:$8K - ACE inhibitors are a type of medication commonly prescribed to treat which of these ailments?

A - high blood pressure
B - arthritis
C - acid reflux
D - glaucoma

OK, I don't know this. I dunno what ACE is.
Neither did I. And now that I've looked it up, I know why I hadn't memorized it before. And probably still won't after this...

ACE inhibitors are inhibitors of Angiotensin-Converting Enzyme.

This Wikipedia article is pretty technical, and still doesn't clearly explain why I might want my Angiotensin-Converting Enzymes inhibited.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ACE_inhibitor

MarleysGh0st

#15 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:54 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote:I see that the editing footnote feature has been turned on.
Hmmm, is that editing footnote something that has to be enabled for each forum? Why does it show up here and not in the Bored Posts forum?

15QuestionsAway

Mistakes

#16 Post by 15QuestionsAway » Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:48 pm

There are two:

1. ATA poll on question 7 ($4k) should be 14-2-79-5
2. Rich walked away with $8k, not $16k

BBTranscriptTeam

Re: Mistakes

#17 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:34 am

15QuestionsAway wrote:1. ATA poll on question 7 ($4k) should be 14-2-79-5
2. Rich walked away with $8k, not $16k
Thanks. These corrections have been edited into the transcript.