Transcript 12/05/07 B. J. Hughes

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 12/05/07 B. J. Hughes

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:02 pm

B. J. Hughes
Tampa FL
Has 50/50 and PAF available.

Meredith has him roaring like a tiger just before the first question, since he said he likes tigers and would like to be a tiger if he were a puppet.

8K - "Offsides" and "handball" are examples of rule violations in which of these popular sports?

A golf
B volleyball
C soccer
D baseball

16K - In the 2005 movie "Batman Begins," the title hero defends Gotham from a two-faced psychiatrist named what?

A The Archer
B The Bookman
C The Black Widow
D The Scarecrow

50/50 leaves B and D/

25K - Which of these words appears in Roget's 20th Century Thesaurus as a synonym for "thesaurus"?

A Onomasticon
B Autochthon
C Bricolage
D Excursus

PAF Craig is an even bigger trivia geek than B.J., says B.J. Craig leans toward the correct answer but is not sure.

50K - In 1773, the Boston Tea Party was staged by angry colonists disguised as members of what native American tribe?

A Abenaki
B Penobscott
C Shawnee
D Mohawk

STQ 50K - What funny-sounding German term refers to a situation in which a chess player is forced to make a bad move?

A Erdferkel
B Krankenschwester
C Schneeball
D Zugzwang

B.J. took German in college so he knows how to pronounce these, and says Meredith did well, but he doesn't know the answer. He guesses wrong, and leaves with 25K.

8K C soccer
16K D The Scarecrow
25K A Onomasticon
50K D Mohawk
STQ 50K D Zugzwang

NellyLunatic1980

Re: Transcript 12/05/07 B. J. Hughes

#2 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:01 pm

$16K: No clue. ATA.

$25K: Considering that onomastology is the study of word origins, onomasticon had to be the right answer.

$50K: Take a gamble with the PAF and hope that I can get a successful Google out of it.

$50K #2: Assuming a successful PAF, I'd be glad not to see this question.

earendel

#3 Post by earendel » Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:44 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote: B. J. Hughes
Tampa FL

Meredith has him roaring like a tiger just before the first question, since he said he likes tigers and would like to be a tiger if he were a puppet.
His tiger roar was pretty weak, though.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:16K - In the 2005 movie "Batman Begins," the title hero defends Gotham from a two-faced psychiatrist named what?

A The Archer
B The Bookman
C The Black Widow
D The Scarecrow

50/50 leaves B and D/
Here's where the ATA would have been handy, thus saving him a lifeline for later. It's interesting that "two-faced" was in the question, since Two-Face was a villain in the third Batman movie (the one with Val Kilmer as Batman).
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:25K - Which of these words appears in Roget's 20th Century Thesaurus as a synonym for "thesaurus"?

A Onomasticon
B Autochthon
C Bricolage
D Excursus

PAF Craig is an even bigger trivia geek than B.J., says B.J. Craig leans toward the correct answer but is not sure.
So now we have an answer to that old question, "What's a synonym for thesarus?" As for the answer, an onomasticon used to be the word to describe a list of place names - it's used as far back as Eusebius of Caesarea, which is where I heard the word back in my seminary days.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:50K - In 1773, the Boston Tea Party was staged by angry colonists disguised as members of what native American tribe?

A Abenaki
B Penobscott
C Shawnee
D Mohawk
I might have gone for "Penobscott" and gone down in flames. But if I STAYED CLAM® and used a lifeline I'd have used my PAF on this question. But for the sake of the game, let's say I used STQ as B. J. did.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:STQ 50K - What funny-sounding German term refers to a situation in which a chess player is forced to make a bad move?

A Erdferkel
B Krankenschwester
C Schneeball
D Zugzwang

B.J. took German in college so he knows how to pronounce these, and says Meredith did well, but he doesn't know the answer. He guesses wrong, and leaves with 25K.
"Krank" has to do with health (a hospital is a "krankhaus"), and "schnee" is "snow", so it's probably not either of those. Go with the 50/50 and hope that it eliminates "A" along with either "B" or "C".

And again I note that the answer to the STQ was the same as the answer to the original question. Going back through the transcripts I find that in the past six instances in which STQ was used, this phenomenon occurred 50% of the time (11/27, 11/28 and here). If I had time and inclination, I'd go back further, but either this is a statistical fluke or there is some problem that BAM may need to know about.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

summus123

#4 Post by summus123 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:44 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:B. J. Hughes
Tampa FL

50K - In 1773, the Boston Tea Party was staged by angry colonists disguised as members of what native American tribe?

A Abenaki
B Penobscott
C Shawnee
D Mohawk
I thought this was an easy question for $50K. After Ogi Ogas had a Boston Tea Party question for $1M last year, I reread the history of the BTP.

MarleysGh0st

#5 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:53 am

summus123 wrote:
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:B. J. Hughes
Tampa FL

A Abenaki
B Penobscott
C Shawnee
D Mohawk
I thought this was an easy question for $50K. After Ogi Ogas had a Boston Tea Party question for $1M last year, I reread the history of the BTP.
What about for those who haven't reread the history lately? I was leaning towards the Penobscott as being the closest tribe. The Shawnee were a southern tribe, I only had a vague notion that the Abenaki were more northern (although Wikipedia says their borders went as far as the northern border of Massachusetts) and the Mohawk lived in the eastern part of upstate NY. That would seem a long distance for Mohawks to allegedly go on a raid...

MarleysGh0st

#6 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:56 am

NellyLunatic1980 wrote: $25K: Considering that onomastology is the study of word origins, onomasticon had to be the right answer.
Umm. Yes. That's, ummm, obvious.

:P <---- Here's my tongue in cheek, Nelly. Where's yours?

15QuestionsAway

#7 Post by 15QuestionsAway » Sat Dec 08, 2007 3:20 pm

BBTranscriptTeam wrote: 16K - In the 2005 movie "Batman Begins," the title hero defends Gotham from a two-faced psychiatrist named what?

A The Archer
B The Bookman
C The Black Widow
D The Scarecrow
Choice B in this question should be "The Bookworm".

ghostjmf

#8 Post by ghostjmf » Wed Dec 26, 2007 3:18 pm

16K: ATA

25K: Its A or B; 50/50 & hope.

50K: Well, I knew it wasn't Shawnee. Too far west of Mass. I think. I have seen pictures (artists' drawings) of the Tea Party crew wearing Mohawk haircuts. But Mohawks aren't really local, either; more New York State area. Penobscott would be most local to Mass. But I'm going with the childs' book paintings, which could be a mistake (but is not).

STQ 50K: Say its my 100K: no idea, though know "Cronkheit" is German for "sickness" (Walter got in trouble with that during WWII when as a correspondent his name was called out in the field) but I have a German-speaking sister. Who says that "Krankenschwester" (sickness sister) is "nurse", by the way. So I'd PAF her.

Erdferkel turns out to be an animal; I think we looked it up & found it was the German for "aardvark" (she did know it was an animal). We then went off on an expedition to define "murmeltier", which was not a choice (but is a favorite German Animal Name of hers) & I believe turns out to be "groundhog", if you're interested. But anyway, she instantly knew it.

So did my chess-playing housemate, who did not know how to pronounce it correctly in German, though.

Oh yeah, "Schnee" is "snow" & "ball" is "ball". I knew the "ball" part, so could have ruled that one out on my own too!