Transcript 12/05/07 Bill MacDonald

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 12/05/07 Bill MacDonald

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:04 pm

Bill MacDonald
Mt. Juliet, TN

100 - Which of these bathroom items would a man use to get clean-shaven?

A Water pick
B Razor
C Deodorant
D Mach 3 nose hair trimmer

200 - In April 2007, White House staff provided about 14,000 eggs to kids as part of a tradition honoring what holiday?

A St. Patrick's Day
B President's Day
C Easter
D Groundhog Day

300 - Which of these ecological events is commonly referred to as a "debris flow"?

A heat wave
B ice storm
C wildfire
D mudslide

500 - In the kids' song "This Old Man," which of these lyrics ends with a word that rhymes with an odd number?

A knick-knack on my door
B knick-knack up in heaven
C knick-knack on my sticks
D knick-knack on my gate

1K - Technologically speaking, a landline is an alternative to which of these gadgets?

A cell phone
B care stereo
C DVD player
D digital player

2K - Social Security cards feature a three-digit area number, a two-digit group number, and a serial number that is how many digits?

A 2
B 3
C 4
D 5

4K - Which of the following is a famous quote from "Gone With the Wind," and not the title of a James Bond movie?

A Die Another Day
B Tomorrow is Another Day
C Tomorrow Never Dies
D You Only Live Twice

8K - A well-known method of teaching characterized by asking questions is named after what historic thinker?

A Galileo
B Descartes
C Plato
D Socrates

16K - Which of the following is a fancy word for the behavior that makes Pinocchio's nose grow?

A prevarication
B imprecation
C sarculation
D bowdlerization

25K - Memphis, Tennessee, was named after a former capital of what country?

A Iran
B Scotland
C Mexico
D Egypt

50K - Since the 1980s, the field rations of U.S. soldiers have often included which of these condiments?

A Gulden's mustard
B Tabasco sauce
C Hellman's mayonnaise
D Kikoman soy sauce

ATA:

A 20
B 59
C 15
D 6

Bill goes with the audience spike instead of his guess of soy sauce.

He will return on the next show with three lifelines.

100 B Razor
200 C Easter
300 D mudslide
500 B knick-knack up in heaven
1K A cell phone
2K C 4
4K B Tomorrow is Another Day
8K D Socrates
16K A prevarication
25K D Egypt
50K B Tabasco sauce

Rexer25
It's all his fault. That'll be $10.

#2 Post by Rexer25 » Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:15 pm

Someone pinch me...

Is this a dream stack or what?
Enough already. It's my fault! Get over it!

That'll be $10, please.

tanstaafl2

#3 Post by tanstaafl2 » Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:24 pm

So far, pretty much. I guess the 16K was supposed to be a tough Q but it easier to me than many have been lately. I didn't find the Memphis Q noted in another thread to be particularly difficult either.
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
Ne Illegitimi Carborundum
Cumann na gClann Uí Thighearnaigh

MarleysGh0st

#4 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:26 pm

Rexer25 wrote:Someone pinch me...

I'd be pleased with it! :)

Retroactive good luck, tomorrow, Bill! (Which is always difficult to wish, particularly since, if Bill did really well, we'd have seen his episode during sweeps.)

MarleysGh0st

#5 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:28 pm

I'm glad they didn't ask for the definition of sarculation, though. I'd never have believed it, before looking it up!

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#6 Post by kayrharris » Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:38 pm

You gonna make me look it up myself? You could put it in a spoiler you know.

Sorry, today was a headache day for me (on my day off of all days!)so I'm being a bit grumpy. :oops:

MarleysGh0st

#7 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:42 pm

kayrharris wrote:You gonna make me look it up myself? You could put it in a spoiler you know.
Sar`cu`la´tion
Spoiler
n. 1. A weeding, as with a hoe or a rake.

Ritterskoop

#8 Post by Ritterskoop » Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:46 pm

tanstaafl2 wrote:So far, pretty much. I guess the 16K was supposed to be a tough Q but it easier to me than many have been lately. I didn't find the Memphis Q noted in another thread to be particularly difficult either.
I didn't either, but the run of the populace doesn't know it.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

Kazoo65

Re: transcript 12/5/07 Bill MacDonald

#9 Post by Kazoo65 » Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:54 pm

The only one I would have needed a lifeline on would have been $50K. I might have either 50/50d or STQ here.
I'm just a game show nerd.

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#10 Post by kayrharris » Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:00 pm

Thanks, Marley. You're a sweetheart. :D

NellyLunatic1980

#11 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:43 am

Not very often I say this, but nihil obstat® on all 11 questions.

Is it too much to ask for four more Lyn Payne questions?

earendel

Re: Transcript 12/05/07 Bill MacDonald

#12 Post by earendel » Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:47 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Bill MacDonald
Mt. Juliet, TN
Bill's an insurance salesman.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:25K - Memphis, Tennessee, was named after a former capital of what country?

A Iran
B Scotland
C Mexico
D Egypt
Good reasoning on this question. Memphis is down river from Cairo, IL, so evidently people were thinking of the Mississippi as the American equivalent of the Nile.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:50K - Since the 1980s, the field rations of U.S. soldiers have often included which of these condiments?

A Gulden's mustard
B Tabasco sauce
C Hellman's mayonnaise
D Kikoman soy sauce

ATA:

A 20
B 59
C 15
D 6

Bill goes with the audience spike instead of his guess of soy sauce.
Having a friend whose son was in Iraq last year, this was an easy question to answer. He talked a lot about how the Tabasco sauce helped improve (read: "kill") the taste of the MREs.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

earendel

#13 Post by earendel » Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:48 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:Retroactive good luck, tomorrow, Bill! (Which is always difficult to wish, particularly since, if Bill did really well, we'd have seen his episode during sweeps.)
Yeah, I thought that also as I watched. It's a shame to know too much sometimes.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

Shade

#14 Post by Shade » Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:40 pm

I'm surprsied lately I've been seeing a lot of contestants get up to the 25,000 dollar question with all life lines. I love when that happens I get so excited.

Ritterskoop

#15 Post by Ritterskoop » Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:45 pm

earendel wrote: Having a friend whose son was in Iraq last year, this was an easy question to answer. He talked a lot about how the Tabasco sauce helped improve (read: "kill") the taste of the MREs.
Roomie nailed this also. He didn't have to deal with with MREs in the Air Force in the 50s, but he must've had enough he knew exactly what would be needed. He said Tabasco would kill bad flavors and add something to the flavorless foods.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

peacock2121

#16 Post by peacock2121 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:49 pm

Rexer25 wrote:Someone pinch me...

It was not what for me.

I'da loved this stack - pinch myself love this stack.

Ritterskoop

#17 Post by Ritterskoop » Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:25 pm

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:

300 - Which of these ecological events is commonly referred to as a "debris flow"?

A heat wave
B ice storm
C wildfire
D mudslide
I meant to ask, is this common? I'd never heard it, and don't anticipate that it is in common parlance but can see where it might be used by engineers or scientists. Which is not common, the way I understand common.

It's not a problem question; the right answer is clear. I just didn't like the phrasing. I think what they should have said was, "A debris flow is commonly referred to as what?"
--------

MarleysGh0st

#18 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:34 pm

Ritterskoop wrote:
BBTranscriptTeam wrote: 300 - Which of these ecological events is commonly referred to as a "debris flow"?

A heat wave
B ice storm
C wildfire
D mudslide
I meant to ask, is this common? I'd never heard it, and don't anticipate that it is in common parlance but can see where it might be used by engineers or scientists. Which is not common, the way I understand common.

It's not a problem question; the right answer is clear. I just didn't like the phrasing. I think what they should have said was, "A debris flow is commonly referred to as what?"
I think you're right; it's commonly called a mudslide and technically called a debris flow.

Just for comparison, I checked with google.

"debris flow" returns 140,000 hits.

"mudslide" returns 1,240,000 hits. But the first three are for a mixed drink, so this total might be somewhat inflated. :wink:

Ritterskoop

#19 Post by Ritterskoop » Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:02 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote:

"mudslide" returns 1,240,000 hits. But the first three are for a mixed drink, so this total might be somewhat inflated. :wink:
Anastasia has been padding the Google hits.
--------

ne1410s

#20 Post by ne1410s » Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:45 pm

Ear:

Good reasoning on this question. Memphis is down river from Cairo, IL, so evidently people were thinking of the Mississippi as the American equivalent of the Nile.
The southern part of Illinois is sometimes referred to as "Little Egypt."( I suppose because of the delta appearance of the confluence of the Ohio and Mississippi Rivers.) Southern Illinois University's mascots are "The Salukis" which, as you know, are Egyptian hunting dogs. And so it goes.
"When you argue with a fool, there are two fools in the argument."

15QuestionsAway

#21 Post by 15QuestionsAway » Sat Dec 08, 2007 3:33 pm

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:1K - Technologically speaking, a landline is an alternative to which of these gadgets?

A cell phone
B care stereo
C DVD player
D digital player
Choice D in this question is "digital camera".

ghostjmf

#22 Post by ghostjmf » Wed Dec 26, 2007 2:38 pm

16K: Whaddayouknow, a world I've never heard, "sarculation". Fortunately, its not the right answer. Neither is the "right" answer, in my opinion, but its closest to it; I would define "prevarication" as "beating around the bush", not outright lying.

50K: Mayonnaise would spoil no matter what the army did to it, & soy is just too exotic for the '80s. Mustard would be kind of messy, but tabasco you could put on cuts if you ran short of iodine or whatever. And it would juice up anything "edible" past the point of caring how tasteless or spoiled it was, which was probably the point.

Not sure enough, though, that its not mustard; 50/50