Transcript 12/06/07 - Bill MacDonald (carry-over)

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 12/06/07 - Bill MacDonald (carry-over)

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:04 pm

Bill MacDonald
Mt. Juliet, TN
Insurance salesman

Bill still has his 50/50, PAF and STQ left.

Yesterday, Bill promised that he and his wife, Debbie, would take their two boys to Disney World by plane, instead of driving, if he won big. Bill's son has already been checking internet prices for airfare.

$100,000
Known for her hard-drinking, chain-smoking lifestyle, what movie icon is buried in a tomb that reads, "She did it the hard way"?

A: Lana Turner B: Joan Crawford
C: Bette Davis D: Judy Garland

Bill doesn't like this question for any of his lifelines, so he switches the question. His first instinct would have been Joan Crawford.

STQ $100,000
In some of its lesser-known verses, what popular song tells the story of a headstrong woman named Nelly Kelly?

A: I've Been Working on the Railroad B: Take Me Out to the Ball Game
C: Home on the Range D: Yankee Doodle

50/50 leaves A & B.

Bill is almost positive that Take Me Out to the Ball Game is "Take Me Out to the Ball Game". I've Been Working on the Railroad has lots of verses and is an old song. He's going I've Been Working on the Railroad, final answer.

Bill falls to $25,000.

Answers:
$100,000: C: Bette Davis
STQ $100,000: B: Take Me Out to the Ball Game

Ritterskoop

#2 Post by Ritterskoop » Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:11 pm

Yep. Buried in a tomb.

I want to offer to be their copy editor sometimes.

One is entombed in a tomb, not buried, which is sort of the whole point of not being underground.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

NellyLunatic1980

#3 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:55 am

$100K: "Chain-smoking" gave it away to me that it had to be Bette Davis.

$100K #2: And thank God I never would've seen this question. "Take Me Out to the Ball Game" was the last answer I would've picked.

So I would be going for $250K with all lifelines available.

MarleysGh0st

Re: Transcript 12/06/07 - Bill MacDonald (carry-over)

#4 Post by MarleysGh0st » Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:47 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote: STQ $100,000
In some of its lesser-known verses, what popular song tells the story of a headstrong woman named Nelly Kelly?

50/50 leaves A & B.

Bill is almost positive that Take Me Out to the Ball Game is "Take Me Out to the Ball Game". I've Been Working on the Railroad has lots of verses and is an old song. He's going I've Been Working on the Railroad, final answer.

Bill falls to $25,000.
<sigh>

Has Take Me Out to the Ball Game been the subject of a SyndieBAM question before? Or possibly we discussed it in relation to a QoD or something? Because something was telling me to consider who was saying "Take Me Out to the Ball Game" and that it might possibly be Miss Nelly Kelly in the song--and that certainly didn't come from my own vast knowledge base of sports music trivia! :P

If Bill had a google PAF waiting for his call, a search like lyrics "Nelly Kelly" would have helped a lot!

Ritterskoop

#5 Post by Ritterskoop » Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:08 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:

50/50 leaves A & B.

Bill falls to $25,000.
<sigh>

Has Take Me Out to the Ball Game been the subject of a SyndieBAM question before? Or possibly we discussed it in relation to a QoD or something? Because something was telling me to consider who was saying "Take Me Out to the Ball Game" and that it might possibly be Miss Nelly Kelly in the song--and that certainly didn't come from my own vast knowledge base of sports music trivia! :P

If Bill had a google PAF waiting for his call, a search like lyrics "Nelly Kelly" would have helped a lot!
I may have mentioned it once or twice......
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

ToLiveIsToFly

#6 Post by ToLiveIsToFly » Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:12 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote:

50/50 leaves A & B.

Bill falls to $25,000.

<sigh>

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=111My friend Bud's last J! game. Doesn't mention Nelly Kelly directly, but gives the lie that "TMOTB" is JUST "TMOTB". And Nelly Kelly is not that far off from Katie Casey.

Interestingly Wikipedia says that Katie Casey and Nelly Kelly are in alternate versions of the song, not both mentioned in the same one.

MarleysGh0st

#7 Post by MarleysGh0st » Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:19 pm

ToLiveIsToFly wrote: Interestingly Wikipedia says that Katie Casey and Nelly Kelly are in alternate versions of the song, not both mentioned in the same one.
Yeah, that's becoming a minor controversy over on the J! board.

And the other Bill MacDonald also happens to have a wife named Debbie! 8)

Appa23

#8 Post by Appa23 » Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:17 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote:
ToLiveIsToFly wrote: Interestingly Wikipedia says that Katie Casey and Nelly Kelly are in alternate versions of the song, not both mentioned in the same one.

What's the controversy?

MarleysGh0st

#9 Post by MarleysGh0st » Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:20 pm

Appa23 wrote:
MarleysGh0st wrote:

What's the controversy?
That, if the Katie Casey version of the lyrics are the originals, Bill might have grounds for an appeal. Which then got into a question of which version is more commonly know. But are either of these versions commonly known? (The question, itself, says they're "lesser-known verses".)

Appa23

#10 Post by Appa23 » Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:29 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote:
Appa23 wrote:
MarleysGh0st wrote: Yeah, that's becoming a minor controversy over on the J! board.

What's the controversy?
That, if the Katie Casey version of the lyrics are the originals, Bill might have grounds for an appeal. Which then got into a question of which version is more commonly know. But are either of these versions commonly known? (The question, itself, says they're "lesser-known verses".)
Sorry, but I do not see any grounds for an appeal.

Nelly Kelly is in the latest version (1927), so the question is not faulty. If the question said, "original", then there would be grounds for an appeal.

Appa23

#11 Post by Appa23 » Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:31 pm

BTW, with either version, there is no question that the song is commonly sung.

Unless you would say that the national anthem is not commonly sung b/c nobody ever sings all of the verses.

MarleysGh0st

#12 Post by MarleysGh0st » Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:33 pm

Appa23 wrote:BTW, with either version, there is no question that the song is commonly sung.

Unless you would say that the national anthem is not commonly sung b/c nobody ever sings all of the verses.
The first verse of both songs is commonly sung. The remaining verses are not.

Appa23

#13 Post by Appa23 » Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:38 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote:
Appa23 wrote:BTW, with either version, there is no question that the song is commonly sung.

The first verse of both songs is commonly sung. The remaining verses are not.
Actually, we only sing the chorus of "Take Me Out to the Ballgame."

Which verses are sung does not matter. The question is whether the song is commonly sung. (Although, from what I normally hear of the song during the 7th inning streth, especially at Cubs game, "sung" is a very loose interpretation.

MarleysGh0st

#14 Post by MarleysGh0st » Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:54 pm

Appa23 wrote: Which verses are sung does not matter. The question is whether the song is commonly sung. (Although, from what I normally hear of the song during the 7th inning streth, especially at Cubs game, "sung" is a very loose interpretation.
No, that's not the question. This is the question:
The potential for dispute (weak though I admit it may be, particularly since Bill seemed not to be aware of it) is that there are two versions of the song. Bill might claim that he was well aware of the original Katie Casey version, but not this upstart Nelly Kelly version. Which is the "official" version? If only the chorus is ever sung at ball games, then the vast majority of fans would be unfamiliar with the details of either.

But, enough. I wasn't really trying to engage in the debate here. I was only reporting on the occurance of a short (perhaps three posting) dispute that happened to arise on the J! board, which is rare enough when it regards a SyndieBAM episode.

Rexer25
It's all his fault. That'll be $10.

#15 Post by Rexer25 » Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:00 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote:I was only reporting on the occurance of a short (perhaps three posting) dispute that happened to arise on the J! board, ...
Troublemaker
Enough already. It's my fault! Get over it!

That'll be $10, please.

MarleysGh0st

#16 Post by MarleysGh0st » Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:04 pm

Rexer25 wrote:
MarleysGh0st wrote:I was only reporting on the occurance of a short (perhaps three posting) dispute that happened to arise on the J! board, ...
Troublemaker
When I see Molly's smiling face next to that word, I can only take it as a compliment! :lol:

BillMac

#17 Post by BillMac » Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:20 pm

Hi all,

This is Bill MacDonald from the show of the 6th. I just found this forum and would like to vent about my show :roll: My mistake was my lifeline strategy. I should have done phone a friend on Bette Davis. I thought the chain smoking clue was too obvious for a 100k Q Then when I switched the Q I thought I could get it with the 50-50 and save paf for the 250 Q. My mistake. Nelly Kelly got me fair and square. The second guessing myself was the worst part, but the rush of the show made up for it!! :D

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#18 Post by silvercamaro » Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:25 pm

BillMac wrote:Hi all,

This is Bill MacDonald from the show of the 6th. I just found this forum and would like to vent about my show :roll: My mistake was my lifeline strategy. I should have done phone a friend on Bette Davis. I thought the chain smoking clue was too obvious for a 100k Q Then when I switched the Q I thought I could get it with the 50-50 and save paf for the 250 Q. My mistake. Nelly Kelly got me fair and square. The second guessing myself was the worst part, but the rush of the show made up for it!! :D
Hi, Bill, glad you found us. Mot that it will make you feel all that much better, but you're not the first to think an answer is "too obvious" at the 100K level. (Did it myself.) I hope you had fun. Even if the check isn't as big as you might have hoped, I trust you'll find a way to enjoy your winnings.

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#19 Post by kayrharris » Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:27 pm

Good to see you here. Welcome to our little community. Congratulations on making it on the show and winning a nice sum of money.

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#20 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:35 pm

Welcome to the Bored!

minimetoo26
Royal Pain In Everyone's Ass

#21 Post by minimetoo26 » Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:02 pm

Ugh. While it may be a valid question, it is certainly a bad one.

I watched Ken Burns' Baseball series, and they played the extra verses, but the Katie Casey version. And it stuck with me because there was a girl in my kids' school named Kate Casey who was in Stephen's orchestra.

So, having heard those verses, I would have eliminated TMOTTBG also.

earendel

#22 Post by earendel » Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:47 am

BillMac wrote:Hi all,

Welcome, Bill - feel free to vent. And when you're done, hang around with the rest of us crazies.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

mrkelley23

#23 Post by mrkelley23 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:15 am

Congratulations on a great run in the Hot Seat, Bill, and welcome to our little corner.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

MarleysGh0st

#24 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:32 am

Welcome, Bill!

Vent all you need to. All of us here, including those who have been in the Hot Seat and those who haven't yet, understand more than anyone!

And when your venting is over, you might find that this place is still fun...

ghostjmf

#25 Post by ghostjmf » Wed Dec 26, 2007 2:53 pm

100K: OK, it is not Judy Garland, but otherwise I'm not touching this. Or am I? Use ATA, if there's an overwhelming choice, go for it. Otherwise STQ.

STQ 100K: Say I lucked out above, & its my 250K: OK, the "Wildcat Kelly" intro to "Don't Fence Me In" is now going through my head (hear Mary McCaslin's version; some people think Porter bought this song from a cowboy song writer, & that fussy intro is the only part he actually wrote) & not doing me any good.

Its not Yankee Doodle, which is a gen-u-ine old song people sang back in 1776 (for whatever reason); preceded stuff written with tricked up intros or fussy verses.

Its not "Railroad", either, for much the same reason. Plus, modern folkies would have revived a version with a plucky female heroine in a New York minute. As they have with the legit versions of "John Henry" found in which Henry's wife takes over after he drops dead & "drives steel just like a man", finishing the job for him.

So its either "Ballgame" or "Range", which come from the "forgotten intros/verses" written for music halls, in the "Ballgame" case, or movies, in the "Range" case. I now have the story of "Tessie", a Red Sox song from 1918 (about a plucky female fan!) revived by the Dropkick Murphys in an unrecognizable-vis-a-vis-the-original rock version, & used by the Red Sox music-during-game programmer these days. I more know about it than know it. Its not that distinctive in either version, in my opinion.

I should be giving up & STQing here, because I don't have 50/50 left. I think this would be a horror to Google, so wouldn't want to PAF. But I'm nuts or opinionated or something enough to let "Tessie" sway me, & go with "Ballgame".