Transcript 12/07/2007 - Ellisa Cooper (carryover contestant)

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 12/07/2007 - Ellisa Cooper (carryover contestant)

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:24 am

Ellisa Cooper
New York City, NY
Wine consultant

Ellisa and Meredith chat about wine - Ellisa says that she's opened a new bottle of wine every day since 1990. Meredith starts to ask her about the benefits of drinking wine but interrupts herself to ask if Ellisa prefers red or white. Ellisa replies that the more one is exposed to a wide variety of wines, the more likely it is that one will be seduced by the subtleties of white wines. Meredith loves white wine and asks if Ellisa drinks hers from a paper bag. "Absolutely! It's the only way to drink in the car."

Yesterday's time in the Hot Seat was like an out-of-body experience. Meredith quips, "Like drinking a full bottle of wine."

If Ellisa wins the $1M she can have champagne every day for the rest of her life.

Ellisa has all her lifelines available.

$4K - In 2007, what often-shirtless hunk was named People magazine's "Bachelor of the Year"?

A - Justin Timberlake
B - Matthew McConaughey
C - Leonardo DiCaprio
D - Jude Law

Meredith adds, "None of them are bad."

$8K - Which of these bodily organs is part of the endocrine system?

A - pancreas
B - spleen
C - heart
D - liver

Ellisa is confident as to what it is not but she wants help from the audience, hoping it's filled with doctors and nurses.

ATA results:
A - 68%
B - 12%
C - 3%
D - 17%

That's not what Ellisa knew it wasn't. New York audiences are the best, so she goes with them.

$16K - Used to make rope, sisal fiber is a common material also found in which of these sporting goods?

A - baseball glove
B - dartboard
C - pool cue stick
D - tennis racket

Meredith repeats the question. Ellisa says, "I may kick myself in the head but I'm going with 'tennis racket.'" She doesn't actually kick herself in the head as she leaves with $1K. "I'm horrified!" Ellisa exclaims. Meredith notes that $1K can buy a fine bottle of wine.

ANSWERS:
$4K - B (Matthew McConaughey
$8K - A (pancreas)
$16K - B (dartboard)

NellyLunatic1980

#2 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:19 am

$16K: Never heard of sisal fiber. PAF.

TheConfessor

Re: Transcript 12/07/2007 - Ellisa Cooper (carryover contest

#3 Post by TheConfessor » Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:05 pm

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$8K - Which of these bodily organs is part of the endocrine system?

A - pancreas
B - spleen
C - heart
D - liver
Wikipedia says that the heart is part of the endocrine system.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endocrine_system

Kazoo65

#4 Post by Kazoo65 » Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:14 pm

That $16K was tough. I fell for the "tennis racket" distractor sitting in front of my TV. In the HS, I would probably need PaF for this one. I doubt the audience would know and 50/50 would be no help.
I'm just a game show nerd.

earendel

#5 Post by earendel » Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:02 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote: Ellisa Cooper
New York City, NY
Wine consultant

Ellisa and Meredith chat about wine - Ellisa says that she's opened a new bottle of wine every day since 1990. Meredith starts to ask her about the benefits of drinking wine but interrupts herself to ask if Ellisa prefers red or white. Ellisa replies that the more one is exposed to a wide variety of wines, the more likely it is that one will be seduced by the subtleties of white wines. Meredith loves white wine and asks if Ellisa drinks hers from a paper bag. "Absolutely! It's the only way to drink in the car."
I hope Ellisa isn't advocating drinking and driving!
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$4K - In 2007, what often-shirtless hunk was named People magazine's "Bachelor of the Year"?

A - Justin Timberlake
B - Matthew McConaughey
C - Leonardo DiCaprio
D - Jude Law
Time for me to ATA.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$16K - Used to make rope, sisal fiber is a common material also found in which of these sporting goods?

A - baseball glove
B - dartboard
C - pool cue stick
D - tennis racket

Meredith repeats the question. Ellisa says, "I may kick myself in the head but I'm going with 'tennis racket.'" She doesn't actually kick herself in the head as she leaves with $1K. "I'm horrified!" Ellisa exclaims. Meredith notes that $1K can buy a fine bottle of wine.
Just from imagining what each item looks like, the only one that has anything rope-like associated with it is the dartboard.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

earendel

#6 Post by earendel » Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:04 am

TheConfessor wrote:
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$8K - Which of these bodily organs is part of the endocrine system?

A - pancreas
B - spleen
C - heart
D - liver
Hmmmm...I know that Wikipedia isn't always the most reliable of sources but I wonder if it would be sufficient for Ellisa to challenge the question. I for one, didn't know that the heart secreted hormones of any kind.

mrkelley23

#7 Post by mrkelley23 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:13 am

Following a couple of links on Wiki's entry on the endocrine system reveals that the heart is considered a "non-endocrine gland." The two "hormones" it is shown as releasing as part of the endocrine system are actually blood enzymes called peptides, which can simulate some hormone functions.

I checked several university human anatomy sites, and none of them mentioned the heart as part of the endocrine system.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

earendel

#8 Post by earendel » Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:15 am

mrkelley23 wrote:Following a couple of links on Wiki's entry on the endocrine system reveals that the heart is considered a "non-endocrine gland." The two "hormones" it is shown as releasing as part of the endocrine system are actually blood enzymes called peptides, which can simulate some hormone functions.

I checked several university human anatomy sites, and none of them mentioned the heart as part of the endocrine system.
I wouldn't have thought the heart was part of the system - from what I remember of biology classes and my mother's textbooks the only answer I'd have considered was "pancreas". But would a Wikipedia article be enough for Ellisa to challenge the question? I don't think so, particularly given the links that you followed.

MarleysGh0st

#9 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:40 am

earendel wrote:
New York City, NY
Wine consultant

Did she say "in the car" or "in the park"? I thought I heard the latter.

earendel

#10 Post by earendel » Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:42 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
earendel wrote:
New York City, NY
Wine consultant

Did she say "in the car" or "in the park"? I thought I heard the latter.
I thought she said "car", but it could have been "park". Since I deleted the show after I did the transcript, I can't go back and check.

Appa23

#11 Post by Appa23 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:26 am

earendel wrote:
TheConfessor wrote:

A - pancreas
B - spleen
C - heart
D - liver
Hmmmm...I know that Wikipedia isn't always the most reliable of sources but I wonder if it would be sufficient for Ellisa to challenge the question. I for one, didn't know that the heart secreted hormones of any kind.
Interesting issue, but I do not know what she would clhallenge. She got the question right, and she really can not argue that she needed the ATA for the next question because she did not use any of her other LLS there before missing it.

ghostjmf

#12 Post by ghostjmf » Wed Dec 26, 2007 1:13 am

16K: 3rd worlders useta make sandals out of it, too. OK, baseball glove & pool cue make no sense. Dartboard I know is ropy fiber under the bullseye. Tennis rackets; aren't they strung with something more elastic? Especially these days? 50/50 to be sure.