Transcript 10/12/07-Terrie Barnes

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 10/12/07-Terrie Barnes

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:02 am

Terrie Barnes
Parker CO
stay-at-home mom

Which of these spa treatments has a name inspired by a South American country and not a European country?

A. Swedish massage
B. Brazillian wax
C. French manicure
D. Irish mashed potato bath

In familiar public service messages, what phrase precedes Woodsy Owl's warning "Don't pollute"?

A. Give a roar!
B. Give a moo!
C. Give an oink!
D. Give a hoot!

What famous structure was built as a futuristic symbol for Seattle's 1962 World's Fair?

A. Space Needle
B. Gateway Arch
C. Sears Tower
D. Hoover Dam

In medicine, which of these "fevers" does not typically result in the patient actually having a fever?

A. Yellow fever
B. Hay fever
C. Scarlet fever
D. Rheumatic fever

In a famous 1969 song, the Rolling Stones insist that "you can't always get" what?

A. Her to stay
B. There from here
C. Time for love
D. What you want

A professional who is starting his own business is said to be "hanging out a" what?

A. Shingle
B. Railing
C. Headboard
D. Canopy

The title of the TV series "Friends" refers to a group of how many total friends?

A. 7
B. 4
C. 6
D. 8

Developed in the Chesapeake Bay area in the late 1930's, Old Bay is a popular seasoning first used to spice up what type of food?

A. Seafood
B. Poultry
C. Beef
D. Pork

What continent is home to Yemen, the only country in the world whose name begins with "Y"?

A. Europe
B. Asia
C. South America
D. Africa

Terrie uses ATA

A-9%
B-54%
C-2%
D-35%

Which of these women is a top-ranked tennis player and not a character in Tolstoy's "War and Peace"?

A. Natasha Rostova
B. Marya Bolkonskaya
C. Elena Dementieva
D. Anna Scherer

Terrie use PAF to call Ray a friend of Terrie's golfing buddy.

Terrie does a poor job of pronunciations (duh!) and while giving the choices a 2nd time, time expires.

Terrie uses the 50/50 leaving:
B. Marya Bolkonskaya
C. Elena Dementieva

Terrie is not a risk taker, all though she thinks she know what the answer is. She thinks it is B-Marya Bolkonskaya

Terrie walks with $16,000.

100-B-Brazillian
200-D-hoot
300-A-space needle
500-B-hay
1000-D-what you want
2000-A-shingle
4000-C-6
8000-A-seafood
16000-B-Asia
25000-C-Elena

earendel

Re: Transcript 10/12/07-Terrie Barnes

#2 Post by earendel » Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:24 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Terrie Barnes
Parker CO
stay-at-home mom
Another soon-becoming-cliched hook.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:100
Which of these spa treatments has a name inspired by a South American country and not a European country?

A. Swedish massage
B. Brazillian wax
C. French manicure
D. Irish mashed potato bath
Both Terrie and Meredith said, "Ouch" during the discussion about this question.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:25000
Which of these women is a top-ranked tennis player and not a character in Tolstoy's "War and Peace"?

A. Natasha Rostova
B. Marya Bolkonskaya
C. Elena Dementieva
D. Anna Scherer

This would be a very difficult PAF - not only is the question long, but there's many chances for mispronunciation of the names, which are also long. I was surprised she was able to get it read and still allow almost 15 seconds for Ray to answer.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Terrie is not a risk taker, all though she thinks she know what the answer is. She thinks it is B-Marya Bolkonskaya
Good thing - she'd have left with $1K had she taken the risk.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

Bob Juch

#3 Post by Bob Juch » Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:35 am

She's a neighbor of sorts. Parker is such a large area that it will sometime be larger than Denver.

NellyLunatic1980

#4 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:30 am

$8K: Never heard of Old Bay. The name sounds like it might be seafood, but I would've used ATA.

I'm fine on the rest of the stack.

MarleysGh0st

#5 Post by MarleysGh0st » Sat Oct 13, 2007 12:21 pm

BBTranscriptTeam wrote: 25000

A. Natasha Rostova
B. Marya Bolkonskaya
C. Elena Dementieva
D. Anna Scherer

Terrie does a poor job of pronunciations (duh!) and while giving the choices a 2nd time, time expires.

Terrie uses the 50/50 leaving:
B. Marya Bolkonskaya
C. Elena Dementieva

Terrie is not a risk taker, all though she thinks she know what the answer is. She thinks it is B-Marya Bolkonskaya

Terrie walks with $16,000.
Yikes! What a nightmare of a question to read to a PAF. :shock:

Even if she had taken the time to practice the pronunciations before placing the call, so she didn't have to waste time repeating the choices, I'd be terrified of trying to type all that in for a google search. This is one where the PAF would have to recognize the names immediately, without external sources.

If she had saved the ATA, there was a decent chance that enough of the audience would have recognized the tennis player to give a workable spike for the right answer.

Or she might have taken that 50/50 gamble for $25K plus the STQ and the opportunity to continue, of course.

<sigh>

MarleysGh0st

#6 Post by MarleysGh0st » Sat Oct 13, 2007 12:26 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote: I'd be terrified of trying to type all that in for a google search.
But if I did have to feed that question to a google PAF, I'd have formulated an advanced search for "tennis" with at least one of the words [followed by all of the last names]. That would still be a lot to type for the PAF, but it gives a very clear list of hits for Dementieva.
Last edited by MarleysGh0st on Sun Oct 14, 2007 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ghostjmf

#7 Post by ghostjmf » Sun Oct 14, 2007 1:57 pm

4K: At least 6. Maybe 8. ATA

25K: Its the last names that are throwing me, of course. I know there's a Natasha in W&P, & think another character I remember is an Elena. I don't remember an Anna or Marya, but its been about 35 years here. PAF.

(Obviously, if I recognized the tennis player, I wouldn't have to go through that, but I didn't recognize the tennis player.)

earendel

#8 Post by earendel » Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:38 am

ghostjmf wrote:4K: At least 6. Maybe 8. ATA

25K: Its the last names that are throwing me, of course. I know there's a Natasha in W&P, & think another character I remember is an Elena. I don't remember an Anna or Marya, but its been about 35 years here. PAF.

(Obviously, if I recognized the tennis player, I wouldn't have to go through that, but I didn't recognize the tennis player.)
Interestingly, Dementieva defeated Serena Williams this weekend for the Kremlin Cup. (Or was it Venus Williams?).
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

Appa23

#9 Post by Appa23 » Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:46 am

Good question for Sprots!

If you follow sports and watch Sportscenter, then even a tennis question is no problem.