2010 Audition List

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Bob78164
Bored Moderator

2010 Audition List

#1 Post by Bob78164 » Mon May 24, 2010 10:53 am

chad1m, auditioning June 2
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Jeemie

Re: 2010 Audition List

#2 Post by Jeemie » Mon May 24, 2010 12:39 pm

Sigh.

Alas, I am in BAM Purgatory, so I cannot appear on this list until 2011.
1979 City of Champions 2009

MarleysGh0st

#3 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon May 24, 2010 12:43 pm

Jeemie wrote:Sigh.

Huh? Do you mean that you're still in the pool from last year's video audition?

Jeemie

#4 Post by Jeemie » Mon May 24, 2010 1:18 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote:
Jeemie wrote:Sigh.

Huh? Do you mean that you're still in the pool from last year's video audition?
Yes.

The rules governing that pool (if there really are two pools- we may all be in one big pool- although the fact that all our vid audition folks were selected around the same time seems to speak against that) are the same as the regular audition pool. You're in it for two years.

Estonut
Evil Genius

#5 Post by Estonut » Mon May 24, 2010 4:03 pm

Jeemie wrote:
MarleysGh0st wrote:Huh? Do you mean that you're still in the pool from last year's video audition?
Yes.

... You're in it for two years.
WTG, Marley!!!11
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

MarleysGh0st

#6 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon May 24, 2010 6:09 pm

Ha ha. You know what he means, Esto.

ten96lt

#7 Post by ten96lt » Mon May 24, 2010 8:57 pm

The one thing I will miss this year, not being able to make the trips to NYC to try and audition and get on. I'm still swimming.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#8 Post by Bob78164 » Wed May 26, 2010 11:21 pm

goongas, auditioned May 26, passed written test
chad1m, auditioning June 2
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

chad1m

#9 Post by chad1m » Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:49 pm

Didn't pass. Had too many odd questions and movies-I-haven't-seen questions. Transcripts were great practice, though. Can't be too disappointed, too. Don't get too many disappointments in my life so once in a while it's acceptable. :)  
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B014Z7QO26/ref ... 6vb11BJ6JV
Get on a Game Show!, my e-book guide now available on Amazon!

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#10 Post by Bob78164 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:55 pm

goongas, auditioned May 26, passed written test
chad1m, auditioned June 2, :x

MarleysGh0st

#11 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:20 pm

chad1m wrote:Didn't pass. Had too many odd questions and movies-I-haven't-seen questions. Transcripts were great practice, though. Can't be too disappointed, too. Don't get too many disappointments in my life so once in a while it's acceptable. :)  
Sorry, Chad.

Reviewing the transcripts, do the questions you remember seem familiar? Or are they using original ones?

Estonut
Evil Genius

#12 Post by Estonut » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:07 pm

chad1m wrote:Had too many odd questions and movies-I-haven't-seen questions.
Chad, do you watch any talk shows? I only watch the late-night ones, but when I review the transcripts, there is rarely a movie question that I don't know, and most are for movies I didn't see. If you pick a talk show and watch it regularly, you will see an actor or director plug nearly every well-known movie at some point. In a brief segment, you will pick up tidbits about the characters, co-stars and plot points. If you choose Ferguson or Fallon, you'll probably enjoy the "studying"...
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

ten96lt

#13 Post by ten96lt » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:14 pm

Are we allowed to discuss specific questions from last year's test on here assuming they've created new one's or are those off limits? I definitely know the current year's test is frowned upon here.

chad1m

#14 Post by chad1m » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:12 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote:Reviewing the transcripts, do the questions you remember seem familiar? Or are they using original ones?
There were certainly questions on there I remembered seeing on the show or reviewed through the questions (specifically a math problem involving a certain TLC family.)
Estonut wrote:Chad, do you watch any talk shows? If you choose Ferguson or Fallon, you'll probably enjoy the "studying"...
I watch Ferguson every night and it would've been likely different if they were questions from recent movies... but one asked which character uttered a specific quote from a 1975 film and the other asked what film (a 2001 film) the given ending was from.
I'd be more upset if I didn't pass on a test filled with easy questions that I should know but the ones I faltered on were, in my opinion, more difficult than I expect and I can accept that. :)

FannyHeartsNene
Beijos!

#15 Post by FannyHeartsNene » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:22 pm

chad1m wrote:
MarleysGh0st wrote:Reviewing the transcripts, do the questions you remember seem familiar? Or are they using original ones?
There were certainly questions on there I remembered seeing on the show or reviewed through the questions (specifically a math problem involving a certain TLC family.)
Estonut wrote:Chad, do you watch any talk shows? If you choose Ferguson or Fallon, you'll probably enjoy the "studying"...
I watch Ferguson every night and it would've been likely different if they were questions from recent movies... but one asked which character uttered a specific quote from a 1975 film and the other asked what film (a 2001 film) the given ending was from.
I'd be more upset if I didn't pass on a test filled with easy questions that I should know but the ones I faltered on were, in my opinion, more difficult than I expect and I can accept that. :)
Or just read one magazine per week (Entertainment Weekly). For all the years I subscribed, I pretty much knew about every movie, album, tv show and a good majority of books, just because I would read every single article in order to 'get my money's worth' from the magazine.

Since I managed to break the subscription habit, I don't know jack about any current movies other than what I see adverts for on television and I rarely add any new tv shows to my current repertoire unless they've been well advertised on a channel that I already watch.
Eu te amo, Nene!

MarleysGh0st

#16 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:44 am

ten96lt wrote:Are we allowed to discuss specific questions from last year's test on here assuming they've created new one's or are those off limits? I definitely know the current year's test is frowned upon here.
We've generally refrained from posting the specific questions used on the tests, including previous years' tests, to avoid the charge that we're trying to cheat here. Even if they're not using the exact same forms this year (which we can't know for sure), they very likely keep some of the same questions and just mix them up.

OTOH, I don't see anything wrong with acknowledging that the questions have previously appeared on the show. That's obvious to anyone who's taken the test and had paid attention.

Millionaire Fan

#17 Post by Millionaire Fan » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:37 pm

Hey Chad you can still audition for the show. Don't forget they allow video submissions.

Jeemie

#18 Post by Jeemie » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:01 pm

Millionaire Fan wrote:Hey Chad you can still audition for the show. Don't forget they allow video submissions.
Can't he go back and audition after a failed test, or are they limiting the times you can take the test in a year, period, now?

MarleysGh0st

#19 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:06 pm

Jeemie wrote:
Millionaire Fan wrote:Hey Chad you can still audition for the show. Don't forget they allow video submissions.
Can't he go back and audition after a failed test, or are they limiting the times you can take the test in a year, period, now?
Sure, he can go back to NYC and audition, again! And if the travel cost is prohibitive, there's a good chance that TPTB will have another road audition in Chicago this summer.

The official web page still has the standard disclaimer on it:
Millionaire reserves the right to limit the number of times a person may audition for the show.
We haven't heard of that limit actually being applied to anyone, so an auditioner would probably have to become genuinely disruptive for that to happen.

chad1m

#20 Post by chad1m » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:12 pm

Millionaire Fan wrote:Don't forget they allow video submissions.
Actually, the test administrator responded with no after someone asked if you could audition online, so it looks like that's on the down for the time being, but she did mention to keep checking the site for info on the road auditions so those should still be a go.

MarleysGh0st

#21 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:15 pm

Maybe this will be the year that TPTB bring the auditions to Kalamazoo.

After all, if the president can go there...

:)

ten96lt

#22 Post by ten96lt » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:54 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote:
ten96lt wrote:Are we allowed to discuss specific questions from last year's test on here assuming they've created new one's or are those off limits? I definitely know the current year's test is frowned upon here.
We've generally refrained from posting the specific questions used on the tests, including previous years' tests, to avoid the charge that we're trying to cheat here. Even if they're not using the exact same forms this year (which we can't know for sure), they very likely keep some of the same questions and just mix them up.

OTOH, I don't see anything wrong with acknowledging that the questions have previously appeared on the show. That's obvious to anyone who's taken the test and had paid attention.
OK, I was going to give Chad a cheer up story talking about my experience with the test mentioning a couple questions so I just wanted to clarify. I joined the bored after I passed the test last year so I don't remember what questions from the test were on the show a year ago. They probably do recycle questions because I remember the third time I took the test last year there were two questions that were on the first test and the third test, even though they weren't the same test.

goongas

#23 Post by goongas » Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:03 pm

We haven't heard of that limit actually being applied to anyone, so an auditioner would probably have to become genuinely disruptive for that to happen.
But when the first question a new AP who does not recognize you asks you is "Have you ever passed the test before?," I believe they are giving you a hint that they don't appreciate multiple passings of the test. A couple of seasons ago they had it in the rules for a day that if you passed the test last year, you need not apply this year.

Jeemie

#24 Post by Jeemie » Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:34 pm

goongas wrote:
But when the first question a new AP who does not recognize you asks you is "Have you ever passed the test before?," I believe they are giving you a hint that they don't appreciate multiple passings of the test. A couple of seasons ago they had it in the rules for a day that if you passed the test last year, you need not apply this year.
But Chad didn't pass the test.

I just asked because I wondered why Millionaire Fan was intimating that if Chad wanted to audition again, he'd have to go the video route.

ten96lt

#25 Post by ten96lt » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:02 pm

Jeemie wrote:
goongas wrote:
But Chad didn't pass the test.

I just asked because I wondered why Millionaire Fan was intimating that if Chad wanted to audition again, he'd have to go the video route.
It took 3 times for me to pass the test and they didn't seem to mind people coming till they passed the test. I think that rule is to prevent people who pass, but don't get past the 5 minute interview from coming back constantly since they won't get on camera anyway.