Transcript 10/16/2007 - Ryan Haczynski

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 10/16/2007 - Ryan Haczynski

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:26 pm

Ryan Haczynski
Tampa, FL
High school English teacher

Ryan does the double wave and also blows a kiss to the audience.

When Ryan started as a substitute, the kids couldn't pronounce the name so he told them to call him "H". Meredith asks if he wants her to call him Ryan or "H". He says the kids would love it if she called him "H" so she says that's what she'll do.

$100 - If the weatherman predicts "flurries," what should you expect?

A - heavy rains
B - light snowfall
C - gale force winds
D - Uncle Frank's dandruff

Ryan says that growing up in Rhode Island he saw a lot of these. Meredith says that she's from Rhode Island, too.

$200 - Which of these companies is one of the world's leading producers of in-line skates?

A - Casio
B - Samsonite
C - Kenmore
D - Rollerblade

$300 - "Aroma," "bouquet" and "nose" are terms often used interchangeably to refer to which of these qualities of wine?

A - its age
B - its smell
C - its color
D - its price

$500 - Sometimes equipped with a "catcher" at its base, what kitchen utensil is often sold in four-sided and six-sided varieties?

A - baster
B - can opener
C - grater
D - rolling pin

Ryan took a lot of culinary arts classes in high school. Ryan has an idea but he doesn't want to risk anything so he decides to ask the audience.

ATA results
A - 1%
B - 4%
C - 94%
D - 1%

Ryan the bad part is that he likes to cook. His wife said that lifelines aren't worth anything and he can't bring them home with him.

$1K - John Belushi and Dan Aykroyd famously portrayed Jake and Elwood, fictional brothers with what musical surname?

A - Blues
B - Jazz
C - Soul
D - Waltz

He quotes from the movie - "106 miles to Chicago, half a pack of cigarettes and a full tank of gas."

$2K - In humans, which of these organs is often said to be divided into left and right hemispheres?

A - liver
B - brain
C - heart
D - stomach

Ryan says there are definitely times when he doesn't use his whole one.

Someone from the audience shouts something. Meredith asks, "What did you say?" and the person shouts again, "Let's go, H!" Ryan says the kids will love that.

$4K - What element takes its name from Greek roots meaning "water forming"?

A - hydrogen
B - carbon
C - silicon
D - chlorine

Ryan pauses and Meredith repeats the question. Ryan says, "Being here can really freak you out." He then answers the question.

Commercial break

Ryan is a recent newlywed; his wife Karen is in the relationship seat. They were married in the Bahamas. He considers himself to be one of the luckiest people in the world. Watching the news one evening he thought that if everyone had someone who loved them as much as Karen loves him. His life is much richer with Karen in it. Meredith says he is a real romantic. Ryan replies that sometimes he's a bonehead, after all he's a guy. Meredith says it's nice to meet someone who cares deeply about his wife and isn't afraid to say it.

$8K - Which of these movie comedies spawned a 2005 direct-to-video sequal set at a much-ballyhooed "Band Camp"?

A - American Pie
B - Can't Hardly Wait
C - She's All That
D - Napoleon Dynamite

Ryan says that all were good movies, then he quotes "that classic line, 'One time at band camp...'"

$16K - In which of these countries is it customary to eat using only the right hand because the left hand is considered unclean?

A - Japan
B - Ethiopia
C - Cuba
D - Greece

Ryan thinks he knows the answer but he decides it's a good time to use his 50/50, which leaves A and B. His answer is still there.

$25K - In the short fiction of J.D. Salinger, the recurring characters Franny, Zooey and Seymour all have what last name?

A - Stone
B - Wood
C - Steel
D - Glass

Meredith says Ryan is an English teacher. Ryan replies, "Now that you've said that you freaked me out. I thought I knew it but I'm not 100%." Ryan decides to go on his instinct. Meredith reminds him about the lifeline but he says the person he'd call is another English teacher and would say, "Why are you calling me for this?"

Commercial break

Meredith says Ryan is a man who loves his students, loves his wife and would probably love the money.

$50K - What patriotic song takes its melody from the old marching song "John Brown's Body"?

A - America the Beautiful
B - You're a Grand Old Flag
C - Battle Hymn of the Republic
D - God Bless America

Ryan knows who John Brown is and he knows the answer songs but he doesn't know "John Brown's Body". He doesn't know if he wants to risk calling someone and he or she not know. He decides to switch the question. After the answer is shown Ryan said he was sort of leaning toward that one.

$50K (STQ) - What country singer renamed herself after a town mentioned in the song "Route 66"?

A - Reba McEntyre
B - Wynonna Judd
C - Shelby Lynne
D - Lucinda Williams

Ryan says he doesn't like country music and never listens to it. He has a friend that he thinks he wants to call; he teaches the history of rock and roll and knows a lot about music. He decides to call Doug. Doug doesn't think it's Lucinda Williams. He asks for the choices to be read again but Ryan runs out of time. It's a free guess and no matter what happens he has had a great time. He's been leaning toward one answer even though he doesn't know the song. He says, "You gotta fly by the seat of your pants" before making "B" his final answer.

As the show goes into break, someone from the audience shouts, "Way to go, H!!"

Commercial break

Meredith knows Ryan is happy with the $50K but would like to do more. Meredith asks what and he says he and Karen want to have children so with his winnings they might be able to start sooner. They also want to tour the Greek isles.

$100K - In 1925, dogsledders mushed nearly 700 miles along an Alaskan mailing route to deliver a serum that halted an outbreak of what disease?

A - smallpox
B - meningitis
C - rubella
D - diphtheria

Ryan is trying to remember everything that Jack London said about Alaska. Ryan doesn't think it's smallpox but he's not the gambling type. Then he says that if he were to guess he'd say "smallpox". He decides to walk away with $50K.

THE HORN!!!!!

ANSWERS:
$100 - B (light snowfall)
$200 - D (Rollerblade)
$300 - B (its smell)
$500 - C (grater)
$1K - A (Blues)
$2K - B (brain)
$4K - A (hydrogen)
$8K - A (American Pie)
$16K - B (Ethiopia)
$25K - D (Glass)
$50K - C (Battle Hymn of the Republic)
$50K (STQ) - B (Wynnona Judd)
$100K - D (diphtheria)

jarnon

#2 Post by jarnon » Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:59 am

Nice to see this smart, fun contestant.

16K: I know the Arab Bedouins have this custom. (They wipe themselves with their left hand, and don't have water to wash afterwards.) Ethiopia is the logical amswer.

25K: Never read it, so don't know.

50K: "John Brown's body lies a-molderin' in his grave, but his soul goes marching on."

STQ 50K: Good that I wouldn't have seen this Q.

100K: Wasn't this the origin of the Iditerod? Leaning toward diphtheria, but I'd use 50/50.

earendel

Re: Transcript 10/16/2007 - Ryan Haczynski

#3 Post by earendel » Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:22 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Ryan Haczynski
Tampa, FL
High school English teacher
As always, I root for teachers.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$500 - Sometimes equipped with a "catcher" at its base, what kitchen utensil is often sold in four-sided and six-sided varieties?

A - baster
B - can opener
C - grater
D - rolling pin

Ryan took a lot of culinary arts classes in high school. Ryan has an idea but he doesn't want to risk anything so he decides to ask the audience.

ATA results
A - 1%
B - 4%
C - 94%
D - 1%
Too bad Ryan (or "H") didn't trust himself on this one. It's a first-tier question, meaning that there is only going to be one logical answer (who ever heard of a four- or six-sided rolling pin?).
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Ryan the bad part is that he likes to cook. His wife said that lifelines aren't worth anything and he can't bring them home with him.
His wife is a wise woman, but lifeline management is important, too.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Someone from the audience shouts something. Meredith asks, "What did you say?" and the person shouts again, "Let's go, H!" Ryan says the kids will love that.
I thought the audience was discouraged from being disruptive.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$8K - Which of these movie comedies spawned a 2005 direct-to-video sequal set at a much-ballyhooed "Band Camp"?

A - American Pie
B - Can't Hardly Wait
C - She's All That
D - Napoleon Dynamite

Ryan says that all were good movies, then he quotes "that classic line, 'One time at band camp...'"
Amazing - an $8K movie question that I actually know. I've never seen any of the "Pie" movies but somehow the promos for this must have stuck in my brain.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$16K - In which of these countries is it customary to eat using only the right hand because the left hand is considered unclean?

A - Japan
B - Ethiopia
C - Cuba
D - Greece

Ryan thinks he knows the answer but he decides it's a good time to use his 50/50, which leaves A and B. His answer is still there.
I thought a Muslim country might be on the list.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$25K - In the short fiction of J.D. Salinger, the recurring characters Franny, Zooey and Seymour all have what last name?

A - Stone
B - Wood
C - Steel
D - Glass

Meredith says Ryan is an English teacher. Ryan replies, "Now that you've said that you freaked me out. I thought I knew it but I'm not 100%." Ryan decides to go on his instinct. Meredith reminds him about the lifeline but he says the person he'd call is another English teacher and would say, "Why are you calling me for this?"
Funny thought, Ryan, and probably dead on. As for me, I'd be using my PAF for this one because I know that 50/50 won't help and I'm not sure about the ATA.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$50K - What patriotic song takes its melody from the old marching song "John Brown's Body"?

A - America the Beautiful
B - You're a Grand Old Flag
C - Battle Hymn of the Republic
D - God Bless America

Ryan knows who John Brown is and he knows the answer songs but he doesn't know "John Brown's Body". He doesn't know if he wants to risk calling someone and he or she not know. He decides to switch the question.
When elwing and I had our first son some suggested that we name him "John" after elwing's father, but elwing said she would never name a child "John Brown" because of its various connotations, including the song.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:After the answer is shown Ryan said he was sort of leaning toward that one.
<sigh> Still, he said he knew the four songs but not this one, so he was probably right to STQ.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$50K (STQ) - What country singer renamed herself after a town mentioned in the song "Route 66"?

A - Reba McEntyre
B - Wynonna Judd
C - Shelby Lynne
D - Lucinda Williams

Ryan says he doesn't like country music and never listens to it. He has a friend that he thinks he wants to call; he teaches the history of rock and roll and knows a lot about music. He decides to call Doug. Doug doesn't think it's Lucinda Williams. He asks for the choices to be read again but Ryan runs out of time. It's a free guess and no matter what happens he has had a great time. He's been leaning toward one answer even though he doesn't know the song. He says, "You gotta fly by the seat of your pants" before making "B" his final answer.
Fortunately I wouldn't have seen this question. Like Ryan I'm not a country music fan and the only one of the names on the list that looked probably was C (because of Shelby, TN - which doesn't lie along Route 66).
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:As the show goes into break, someone from the audience shouts, "Way to go, H!!"
There's that disruption again.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$100K - In 1925, dogsledders mushed nearly 700 miles along an Alaskan mailing route to deliver a serum that halted an outbreak of what disease?

A - smallpox
B - meningitis
C - rubella
D - diphtheria

Ryan is trying to remember everything that Jack London said about Alaska. Ryan doesn't think it's smallpox but he's not the gambling type. Then he says that if he were to guess he'd say "smallpox". He decides to walk away with $50K.
The animated movie Balto was about this. It is also the origin of the Iditerod sled race. So I'd be going for $250K with ATA, 50/50 and STQ remaining.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

MarleysGh0st

#4 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:00 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:
$8K - Which of these movie comedies spawned a 2005 direct-to-video sequal set at a much-ballyhooed "Band Camp"?

A - American Pie
B - Can't Hardly Wait
C - She's All That
D - Napoleon Dynamite
Only one I'm familiar with is Napoleon Dynamite. ATA for me.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote: $16K - In which of these countries is it customary to eat using only the right hand because the left hand is considered unclean?

A - Japan
B - Ethiopia
C - Cuba
D - Greece
I was also expecting an Islamic country. Is Ethiopia one? I thought it was primarily Coptic Christian. I'd still have gone with that answer.

BBTranscriptTeam wrote: $25K - In the short fiction of J.D. Salinger, the recurring characters Franny, Zooey and Seymour all have what last name?

A - Stone
B - Wood
C - Steel
D - Glass
And here I need the PAF.

But I like the upper tier questions!

NellyLunatic1980

#5 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:23 am

$25K - Time for me to PAF.

$50K - I didn't need any lifelines here.

$50K #2 - Good thing I never would've seen this question. I would've guessed A.

$100K - I remember this was how the Iditarod Race started. I've got $100K and three lifelines.

Bob Juch

#6 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:48 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:I was also expecting an Islamic country. Is Ethiopia one? I thought it was primarily Coptic Christian. I'd still have gone with that answer.
Ethiopia is 33% Muslim.

MarleysGh0st

#7 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:51 am

earendel wrote:
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$50K (STQ) - What country singer renamed herself after a town mentioned in the song "Route 66"?

A - Reba McEntyre
B - Wynonna Judd
C - Shelby Lynne
D - Lucinda Williams

Fortunately I wouldn't have seen this question. Like Ryan I'm not a country music fan and the only one of the names on the list that looked probably was C (because of Shelby, TN - which doesn't lie along Route 66).
You don't have to know or care anything about country music, as long as you "don't forget Winona".

However, if you can't recall the lyrics to that song but know more about geography than the question writers, choice D could have been a nasty distractor. Williams, AZ is not too far down the road from Winona, so it's possible that Lucinda could have changed her last name. :wink:

So, if Ms. Judd named herself after the town, why does she spell it wrong? :P

earendel

#8 Post by earendel » Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:25 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote:You don't have to know or care anything about country music, as long as you "don't forget Winona".
Is that a line from a country song?
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

MarleysGh0st

#9 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:27 pm

earendel wrote:
MarleysGh0st wrote:You don't have to know or care anything about country music, as long as you "don't forget Winona".
Is that a line from a country song?
No, it's a line from "Route 66" as stated in the question! Which is considered pop music, I think...

MarleysGh0st

#10 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:49 pm

Here's a short article about Ryan's appearance, with a nice picture from his viewing party. Curiously, his friend Jason appears to be sprouting an extra hand from the top of his head. :P

http://www.sptimes.com/2007/10/17/Hills ... lion.shtml
Haczynski, who auditioned for the show at the Tampa Bay Performing Arts Center in July, walked away with the $50,000 he had already won after answering 11 questions correctly.

Several other Bay area residents are slated to appear later this season.

MarleysGh0st

#11 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:53 am

Ryan's old hometown in Rhode Island has given him a much longer article than his new one in Florida did.

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?news ... 4491&rfi=6
Haczynski said he developed an ability to remember obscure trivia during his liberal arts studies in college. This did not go unnoticed by friends, one of whom told him about upcoming "Millionaire" tryouts, and encouraged him to give it a shot.
Another contestant urged to audition by someone else. :|
Haczynski and hundreds of other potential contestants were tried out earlier in the summer, and he said he was surprised to find after all the stages of screening that he was among those selected to appear on the show, having made an unsuccessful bid at getting on Jeopardy! in the past. Working with Vieira, he said, was both exciting and intimidating.
"That's one of the things that really scared me. I mean, here's this award-winning journalist, and she's interviewing me."
You're nervous about Meredith interviewing you? (Yes, there's my grumble about the audition process in a nutshell.) How about just answering the trivia questions?
He said he would be paying income tax on the winnings once he received the check, but not capital gains tax.
Capital gains tax?

Shade

#12 Post by Shade » Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:51 am

I was so excited when they asked this questionl:

$100K - In 1925, dogsledders mushed nearly 700 miles along an Alaskan mailing route to deliver a serum that halted an outbreak of what disease?

A - smallpox
B - meningitis
C - rubella
D - diphtheria

Because I knew the answer immediatly, i love the movie Balto, lol

ghostjmf

#13 Post by ghostjmf » Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:31 pm

8K: No idea. ATA

50K: If you know it, you know it, & I knew it. But if you've heard any of the others you'd know they'd be really hard to march to.

100K: Say its my 250K: OK, isn't this what the Iditarod commemorates?

Now, you have to have a disease here that a serum could stop. Notice they say "a serum", not specifying antibiotic, but, frankly, all they had in those days for viral diseases was acquired immunity, meaning someone else's antibodies, & I don't think they were talking that when they meant "a general life-saving serum"; even with rudimentary blood-typing available, too many people would be incompatible with the serum.

meningitis can be bacterial or viral, but even saying its bacterial; in 1925 they didn't have great antibiotics against it.

rubella, "German measles", is also a virus. Same "not enough people would be helped by the only kind of serum available in 1925" explanation that I gave for smallpox goes here.

diptheria is the disease up there that only comes in bacterial form, & penicillin helps it; so would sulfa drugs. I know they'd have sulfa by 1925, & they might have had penicillin.

Go for it & still be alive at 250K.

peacock2121

#14 Post by peacock2121 » Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:16 am

I was sure that Wynonna was born Wynonna.

Being sure bit me.

MarleysGh0st

#15 Post by MarleysGh0st » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:17 am

Here's one more article about Ryan appearance and his viewing party.

http://www.sptimes.com/2007/10/19/Brand ... _50K.shtml
On TV, he wears a blue checked shirt. In real life, he wears orange stripes.
Alert the fashion police! :P
For months, when family members and students asked him what he won, he told them he couldn't say.

Now the secret is out.

His stepmother squeals. Friends line up to shake his hand. His 4-year-old niece gives him a hug.

"Did you seem me on TV? I'm as famous as the Disney Channel people," he says. Then he hands her a $1 bill.
Ah! The largesse of the nouveau riche! :)
And next year? He hopes to audition for Jeopardy!
As Kazoo would say, wait your turn, bub!